This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey y'all! I just finished my interview with GWU, and although I think it went great, I was sidetracked with an email I received from Goucher right before that I've been accepted to their program! I can't believe it! Feeling so grateful, please let me know if I can be of help to anyone in this process.

@asfhxmf Yes, the interview I had with them were very relaxed. I'd say the best thing is to really know your own journey/story well, along with your activities and experiences. Just so you can anticipate any probing questions they may have about them. And I also did the Physics class observation and student Q&A, so if you had any questions about that, feel free to PM me. :) Congratulations on your invites, that's amazing!
Congratulations on your Goucher acceptance! Do you mind sharing the time it took to hear back after your interview? I'm sure it varies but having an idea of timeline might help ease my worries.

Members don't see this ad.

@helloitisi, I’m sorry to hear that happened to you with your first interviewer… I’ll have my fingers crossed for you, and hopefully it was better than it felt and/or the second interviewer makes up for it. :)

@music_on_my_mind thank you, and it took 15 days for me. I hope you hear back soon 🤞🏼

Reactions: 1 user
I've got some interviews coming up this week and was wondering if it would be wise to send thank-you emails after? I've heard arguments for and against this practice and wanted some other thoughts

Members don't see this ad :)
Last week, I wrote about a terrible first interview with GWU and wanted to update to say I had the best interviews with TJU. Someone mentioned tips for the TJ interview earlier (or maybe in the 2021-2022 forum idk) but I would emphasize that it's supppper laidback. Come in knowing your why for medicine and ways you can personally better the medical field and general healthcare. This interview felt like a normal conversation between a mentor and mentee; they honestly seem to just want you to be genuine so they can learn more about you and your goals. Both TJU interviews made me feel even more assured that becoming a physician is what I want to do - and also what I am capable of doing.

I believe in you all! Remember who you are and why you want to be a physician- that's all any interviewer can hope to learn.

I've got some interviews coming up this week and was wondering if it would be wise to send thank-you emails after? I've heard arguments for and against this practice and wanted some other thoughts
I did for one school! I don't think it's necessary but if you have something you really want to thank them for or if you want to emphasize/remind them of something you think resonated with them and is important for them to know about you. Good luck! You'll be great.

Last week, I wrote about a terrible first interview with GWU and wanted to update to say I had the best interviews with TJU. Someone mentioned tips for the TJ interview earlier (or maybe in the 2021-2022 forum idk) but I would emphasize that it's supppper laidback. Come in knowing your why for medicine and ways you can personally better the medical field and general healthcare. This interview felt like a normal conversation between a mentor and mentee; they honestly seem to just want you to be genuine so they can learn more about you and your goals. Both TJU interviews made me feel even more assured that becoming a physician is what I want to do - and also what I am capable of doing.

I believe in you all! Remember who you are and why you want to be a physician- that's all any interviewer can hope to learn.
What type of questions do they ask? Behavioral? Narrative-based?

NYU vs Stony Brook vs Harvard Extension

Undergrad from a SUNY school: psychology and journalism major with a 4.0 GPA and 7 years of research experience in neuropsychology and immunology

Sadly, price is an issue. From what I’ve researched, it seems like NYU has the best reputation and linkages. I would be putting a lot of pressure on myself to take out loans and link into NYU Med. However, I am confident in my ability to do well in classes and maintain a high GPA.

I live in NYC and I am from Long Island. I am balancing a chronic illness, so staying local to my doctors and family is important.

It seems like Stony Brook and Harvard Extension both have good reputations and better prices than NYU, but they are more informal and don’t have linkages. I know Stony Brook is excellent for sciences, but I am not sure if everyone knows this or if it’s just something that’s known in New York. I also know the lectures are quite large, which doesn’t thrill me. However, I’d prefer to stay in New York, which makes Harvard Extension not seem like the best option for me.

I am currently taking calc at a CUNY school and doing well, although I know CUNYs don’t have the best rep for sciences.

If anyone has any input on any of these programs, I would greatly appreciate it!

NYU vs Stony Brook vs Harvard Extension

Undergrad from a SUNY school: psychology and journalism major with a 4.0 GPA and 7 years of research experience in neuropsychology and immunology

Sadly, price is an issue. From what I’ve researched, it seems like NYU has the best reputation and linkages. I would be putting a lot of pressure on myself to take out loans and link into NYU Med. However, I am confident in my ability to do well in classes and maintain a high GPA.

I live in NYC and I am from Long Island. I am balancing a chronic illness, so staying local to my doctors and family is important.

It seems like Stony Brook and Harvard Extension both have good reputations and better prices than NYU, but they are more informal and don’t have linkages. I know Stony Brook is excellent for sciences, but I am not sure if everyone knows this or if it’s just something that’s known in New York. I also know the lectures are quite large, which doesn’t thrill me. However, I’d prefer to stay in New York, which makes Harvard Extension not seem like the best option for me.

I am currently taking calc at a CUNY school and doing well, although I know CUNYs don’t have the best rep for sciences.

If anyone has any input on any of these programs, I would greatly appreciate it!
I'm afraid I don't know anything about these schools, so I can't help with that. If it were me, I'd look at lecture sizes, admissions to medical school after completion, glide year help, and other extras. Then weigh the cost difference with those extras and decide if you think they're worth that much money.
Personally, I know that post-bac loans are going to be a drop in the bucket compared to medical school loans, and I'll only pay all of it off if I make it all the way through the school-med school- residency pathway. I'm lucky enough that I feel that I'm able to spend extra for the features I think will make me most successful.

Your stats from undergrad and your experience with neuropsych and immunology are incredibly impressive though and I think that it's important to remember you can succeed at any program as long as you apply yourself. It looks like you have demonstrable success with that!

Hey everyone! I haven't heard anything from Bryn Mawr yet, but I got an acceptance to GW. This concludes my cycle.

And if anyone in the future reads this who was in the same position as me... I had a few science courses from years ago, and reached out to Goucher to inquire a few months back whether I'd be eligible to apply. They told me no, I was not. I was super bummed out about this, but I applied anyway. And now I'll be going to Goucher! :)

Good luck to everyone, I believe in all of you!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! I haven't heard anything from Bryn Mawr yet, but I got an acceptance to GW. This concludes my cycle.

And if anyone in the future reads this who was in the same position as me... I had a few science courses from years ago, and reached out to Goucher to inquire a few months back whether I'd be eligible to apply. They told me no, I was not. I was super bummed out about this, but I applied anyway. And now I'll be going to Goucher! :)

Congratulations!! Both on your acceptance and on finally being done. You’re on the doctor train!

Hi! Figured I'd update for people waiting to hear from schools or apply to schools.

I got waitlisted to GW today after that terrible first interview (lol) that I previously posted about. I debated rescinding my application after and, though I am not going to bother, I absolutely do not plan on going there after that interview experience regardless of if I wind up getting accepted.

I also got into NYU today which is exciting because I'm definitely going somewhere! Did anyone else get in there or know of anyone's experience with the program? It's super expensive so I'd only really consider going if I heard of positive experiences/outcomes with the program.

Congrats to anyone else who heard back and good luck everyone! You're all going to be great.

Reactions: 1 users

Congrats!!! Just interviewed at Goucher - fingers crossed!

Congratulations to all of you who have acceptances! I've applied to Goucher, BM, UVA and Columbia. I've been verified since 6th October and I got an email earlier this week from BM that they are now evaluating my application but no further correspondences. I'm dying to know if they want to interview me or not! This waiting is horrible!! I should hear next week, shouldn't I?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like we're all on the same page working on the personal statement and waiting for programs to put out more info! I'm transitioning out of the film and television industry - what about you guys? Excited for the next steps!!
Hey! I'm also a post-bacc transitioning out of the motion picture industry! Ive been a camera person for 12 years! What were you???

Congratulations!! Both on your acceptance and on finally being done. You’re on the doctor train!
I appreciate that so much! Excited for you to hop aboard soon!!

Congrats!!! Just interviewed at Goucher - fingers crossed!
Ahh sending you well wishes and hope you hear great news!! :xf:

Congratulations to all of you who have acceptances! I've applied to Goucher, BM, UVA and Columbia. I've been verified since 6th October and I got an email earlier this week from BM that they are now evaluating my application but no further correspondences. I'm dying to know if they want to interview me or not! This waiting is horrible!! I should hear next week, shouldn't I?!
Welcome to the thread and hopefully you hear back very soon... ditto, the waiting was unbearable. I'm sure you'll hear back from at least one program next week, I'd hope!

Hey! I'm also a post-bacc transitioning out of the motion picture industry! Ive been a camera person for 12 years! What were you???
Hey! That's so interesting. I am a RN (always worked in maternity). Thought about NP/certified nurse-midwife but I want a larger scope of practice/ be the 'go-to' person. Lots of clinical experience but zero research/no hard science background. I'm doing some Khan academy high school physics and chemistry to refresh my memory. Super excited to start this journey but apprehensive on the whole process of getting into medical school. I feel like if you get into a good post-bacc a lot of the uncertainty is taken away. So that's the first hurdle on applying to a post bac! I'm also 32 (so 34 at the earliest I can start med school) and I hope that's not too old to match into OB-GYN. That's the long-term plan anyway!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Does anybody know if Bryn Mawr sends out rejection emails at all? I'm starting to wonder if I'm just not taking the hint lol. They acknowledged my app on September 20th... 😭

has anyone had their UVA interview yet and/or have any insight on what to expect?

screenwriting :) so many people were extremely confused when I made the decision to pursue medical school but glad i'm not the only one! best of luck to you in this process!

Does anybody know if Bryn Mawr sends out rejection emails at all? I'm starting to wonder if I'm just not taking the hint lol. They acknowledged my app on September 20th... 😭
Not sure if this helps, but they acknowledged my app on Sep 20th and I got an email to interview on October 7th. Even then it took a couple more weeks to confirm interviewing, so maybe they are staggering the scheduling?

has anyone had their UVA interview yet and/or have any insight on what to expect?
There were two interviewers in the Zoom room and they said they had a list of questions they were going to ask every applicant, so they went through those, sometimes stopping to ask for more info. The questions were what you’d expect (why medicine, asked about certain experiences, why i chose my former field). Nothing out of the blue

Just got accepted to UVA! Still haven’t heard back from Michigan or Bryn Mawr but I’m so excited. UVA was in my top 3.

Reactions: 8 users
Just got accepted to UVA! Still haven’t heard back from Michigan or Bryn Mawr but I’m so excited. UVA was in my top 3.
Congrats!!! UVA is also a top choice of mine so that's super exciting! I have my interview tomorrow -- any words of advice or insight on what types of questions they asked? Thanks in advance :)

Congrats!!! UVA is also a top choice of mine so that's super exciting! I have my interview tomorrow -- any words of advice or insight on what types of questions they asked? Thanks in advance :)
I actually just had my interview. The advisors are super nice and ask questions tailored to your unique experiences and career switch path. They also ask about your goals in medicine. Overall, it's very low pressure and I would not worry much. Just be honest and speak from your heart, especially if you're going from a field very far away from medicine. As long as you have a narrative as to why you want to pursue medicine, then you will be fine. Promise!

UVA is my top choice, so I hope I did well! (?)

Has anyone received an email from Goucher (or any program similar to) "Your file has been put in a “hold” category and will be reviewed periodically at our committee meetings". It seems they were unable to arrive at a decision yet?

(this limbo feels awful, lol).

Has anyone received an email from Goucher (or any program similar to) "Your file has been put in a “hold” category and will be reviewed periodically at our committee meetings". It seems they were unable to arrive at a decision yet?

(this limbo feels awful, lol).
Yeah, I got that same email about a week ago. Feels weird, I'm not really sure what to do about it or what it entirely means :/ My guess is they're going to continue to fill their class and if at the end they still have space they might revisit our applications. I'm looking at it as a type of "waitlist" decision but who knows lol

I actually just had my interview. The advisors are super nice and ask questions tailored to your unique experiences and career switch path. They also ask about your goals in medicine. Overall, it's very low pressure and I would not worry much. Just be honest and speak from your heart, especially if you're going from a field very far away from medicine. As long as you have a narrative as to why you want to pursue medicine, then you will be fine. Promise!

Awesome - thank you! That actually really helped settle my nerves. And I'm sure you were great :)

Yeah, I got that same email about a week ago. Feels weird, I'm not really sure what to do about it or what it entirely means :/ My guess is they're going to continue to fill their class and if at the end they still have space they might revisit our applications. I'm looking at it as a type of "waitlist" decision but who knows lol
I got the exact same message just now :/

I’m sure you did great!!! I hope I see you there!!

Awesome - thank you! That actually really helped settle my nerves. And I'm sure you were great :)

I echo everything vcorrin said. I entered my interview nervous and left it with the feeling that they were as excited as I was for me to pursue medicine. Remember that this interview is like a test where the source material is just your life! You have all the answers already, and they are eager to hear them :) you’ll do great!

Hi everyone! I'm excited to start this new journey with all of you! I have received an acceptance from Goucher and recently had my interview at Bryn Mawr (waiting to hear back from them). If anyone has any questions about either interview process I would be more than happy to answer them! Also, if anyone has already been accepted to Goucher I would love to connect! (@apizzapizza - Congratulations on your acceptance!) :)

How long did it take for people to hear back from UVA after interview?

Hi everyone! I'm excited to start this new journey with all of you! I have received an acceptance from Goucher and recently had my interview at Bryn Mawr (waiting to hear back from them). If anyone has any questions about either interview process I would be more than happy to answer them! Also, if anyone has already been accepted to Goucher I would love to connect! (@apizzapizza - Congratulations on your acceptance!) :)
Hey! Congratulations on your acceptance to Goucher! I’m waiting on both Goucher and Bryn Mawr. How long did you wait between getting the email from bryn mawr saying that your application has entered the review process and hearing that you had an interview?

Hey! Congratulations on your acceptance to Goucher! I’m waiting on both Goucher and Bryn Mawr. How long did you wait between getting the email from bryn mawr saying that your application has entered the review process and hearing that you had an interview?
@kkitcat5 's experience may have been different from mine, but my app was received on Sep 20 and I was notified of interview invitation Oct 7.

Hey @charleydogmom! Thank you so much! My application to Bryn Mawr was received on September 15th and I was notified of my interview invitation on October 13th!

How long did it take for people to hear back from UVA after interview?
Hey, how'd it go?? I had my interview on Wednesday the 13th and was accepted Tuesday the 19th. You might hear back sooner; the program director was out of town so they warned me they'd have to wait to sync back up with her.

Hey, how'd it go?? I had my interview on Wednesday the 13th and was accepted Tuesday the 19th. You might hear back sooner; the program director was out of town so they warned me they'd have to wait to sync back up with her.
I think it went well?! I mean I hope it did I'm of course rethinking everything after the fact haha but the interviewers were both super nice and made it a comfortable/positive experience! and awesome, they said they'd let me know by the end of next week but i'm hoping it's sooner than later!

Anyone interview with TJ yet? I saw on a previous thread that they ask some pretty untraditional questions so I was just curious if anyone could confirm that. Thanks!

Anyone interview with TJ yet? I saw on a previous thread that they ask some pretty untraditional questions so I was just curious if anyone could confirm that. Thanks!
Yeah, I did! It was definitely super laidback and they asked the normal "why medicine" type of questions but also asked pretty random questions, too. One was "if you were a good witch, what potion would you give your patients" haha. I know it's corny but I really felt like they just wanted to get to know you so just be yourself and I'm sure you'll be great :)

I think it went well?! I mean I hope it did I'm of course rethinking everything after the fact haha but the interviewers were both super nice and made it a comfortable/positive experience! and awesome, they said they'd let me know by the end of next week but i'm hoping it's sooner than later!
Any news on UVA? I’m dying of anticipation

Any news on UVA? I’m dying of anticipation
Nothing yet! I'm also dying of anticipation and I'm a bit stressed because I have to give another program an answer of whether i'm attending or not by Friday so i've been refreshing my email like crazyyy lol

For those who have been accepted to Byrn Mawr (Congrats again!), how long did it take between your interview to be notified of your acceptance? Thanks.

Also, anyone looking at Northwestern's SPS Premedicine Postbac?

Nothing yet! I'm also dying of anticipation and I'm a bit stressed because I have to give another program an answer of whether i'm attending or not by Friday so i've been refreshing my email like crazyyy lol
I think you’ll definitely get an answer by Friday, but I’m just so nervous because UVA is my number one choice e.e

Hey, any chance you heard back from them?

Same here - crossing my fingers for both of us!
I was accepted to UVA just now! What a weight off my shoulders...

Reactions: 3 users
I was accepted to UVA just now! What a weight off my shoulders...

I was just accepted too!!! So excited for both of us :)

Ahhh congrats!!!! I've been trying to hold out for Bryn Mawr bc I haven't heard anything from them. but at this point I'm wondering if I should just go with UVA because it is such a good program! I can't stand the limbo period lol

Ahhh congrats!!!! I've been trying to hold out for Bryn Mawr bc I haven't heard anything from them. but at this point I'm wondering if I should just go with UVA because it is such a good program! I can't stand the limbo period lol
UVA is an excellent program. very comparable to bryn mawr. def dont miss out on the UVA seat