NRI student wanting to go to respected/top Med school in India

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeldajae

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have looked ad many other similar threads and they somewhat are able to answer my question.

I am a NRI who wants to go to a medical school in India, preferably the ones that are most respected medical school AND have good facilities, not like dorms and food, I mean like good research facility, clinical facility, stuff like that. Are there other schools that do accept NRI that have good research and clinical facilities, perfeablly NEAR Ahmadabad, maximum 5 hours away from Ahmadabad. I looked at AIIMS and I doubt that I have a shot of getting in, but are there any others near Ahmadabad?

Thanks in Advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I have looked ad many other similar threads and they somewhat are able to answer my question.

I am a NRI who wants to go to a medical school in India, preferably the ones that are most respected medical school AND have good facilities, not like dorms and food, I mean like good research facility, clinical facility, stuff like that. I am currently looking at NHL Municipal Medical College(NHLMMC), since it is very near to my "home home." I don't know if NHLMMC is a respected school that accepts NRI students, but are there other schools that do accept NRI that have good research and clinical facilities, perfeablly NEAR Ahmadabad, maximum 5 hours away from Ahmadabad. I looked at AIIMS and I doubt that I have a shot of getting in, but are there any others near Ahmadabad?

Thanks in Advance!!!

I dont think AIIMS or NHL Ahmedabad accept NRI students, they are government colleges. If you wanted to go to either of those, you'd have to do grade 12 there, aswell as the entrance exams.

I suggest heading to Manipal if you're decided on going to India for med school. (Dont think you should)

Members don't see this ad :)
I do agree with the previous post. Do not go to an Indian medical school unless you exhausted all other options! That would include getting an MPH, carribean medical schools etc. You can read my other posts to get a better understanding of why and what all one goes through while doing MBBS in India.

A lot of what an NRI goes through in India is really unnecessary, and most of it has to do with your identity---as opposed to what you know and how much you study. This is especially true if you were born in the US and are truly American.
This is not to say that as an American you can't do well here. However, you'll encounter a lot of nonsense. In some experienes I have had, even if I have known an answer well, and answered slowly, the professor doesn't "understand" me, even though he can watch hours of American TV and understand it enough to have a conversation about it.
You will also hear a lot of garbage from classmates---who try to release their insecurities by non-stop "commentary" on everything about you and how "American" you are (no matter how many times you tell them you speak Hindi, and that you know more Hindi vocabulary and literature than they do, they'll pretend you don't know) and how American you are not (because you are not white).
None of this should stop one, if they are really determined, to succeed. I have worked hard the past 4 years, and done reasonably well. I have really tried to tune this stuff out---but it's still there. I have learned a lot here, but it is important to point these things out to people who are thinking of going.

Last edited:
A lot of what an NRI goes through in India is really unnecessary, and most of it has to do with your identity---as opposed to what you know and how much you study. This is especially true if you were born in the US and are truly American.
This is not to say that as an American you can't do well here. However, you'll encounter a lot of nonsense. In some experienes I have had, even if I have known an answer well, and answered slowly, the professor doesn't "understand" me, even though he can watch hours of American TV and understand it enough to have a conversation about it.
You will also hear a lot of garbage from classmates---who try to release their insecurities by non-stop "commentary" on everything about you and how "American" you are (no matter how many times you tell them you speak Hindi, and that you know more Hindi vocabulary and literature than they do, they'll pretend you don't know) and how American you are not (because you are not white).
None of this should stop one, if they are really determined, to succeed. I have worked hard the past 4 years, and done reasonably well. I have really tried to tune this stuff out---but it's still there. I have learned a lot here, but it is important to point these things out to people who are thinking of going.

Well, I dont agree wid u 'smart'....I don't know where exactly you are located in India but I know quite a few NRI medicos out there in India. They do just about 'average' or just above that when it comes to academics. Students here just take them 'normally' and there may be exceptions, as you may experience that even when you study in US :scared:....In case of examiners/Professors, they too aren't skeptical or take special interest in NRIs as such....:rolleyes:

I am sorry that you had to go through this mess.
But I honestly, have NO, I emphasize on the word NO, shot of getting into ANY GOOD medical schools in US, no matter if I will be able to pull of a 4.0 Bi-semester GPA for the next three years, due to my first year cGPA.

I just finish reading all of the helpful threads on this forum and I have decided that I am not going to let the ragging get to my head because I REALLY want to study medicine and want to practice in US, even though it is REALLY hard to get a residency here in US.

I did think about going to Caribbean Medical schools, but I have no idea which one is better. Going to India or waiting for four years, then go to Caribbean Med School?? I know that a Caribbean Med School grad has a WAY better chances of getting into the residency program than do Indian Med School grads.

I am going to India to study, and thats fixed. I am not backing down like I have done for my last 18.5 years. If I do want to get a seat in the residency program here in the US, that too in a GOOD residency program, what are my actions? What are the steps I should do?

I know that I have to aim for nearly a perfect score on the USMLE, especially Step 1, and do clinical rotations here. Another addition is that I soon will be a US citizen soon, in about 2-3 years?

Thanks in Advance!!

Last edited:
I am sorry that you had to go through this mess.
But I honestly, have NO, I emphasize on the word NO, shot of getting into ANY GOOD medical schools in US, no matter if I will be able to pull of a 4.0 Bi-semester GPA for the next three years, due to my first year cGPA.

I just finish reading all of the helpful threads on this forum and I have decided that I am not going to let the ragging get to my head because I REALLY want to study medicine and want to practice in US, even though it is REALLY hard to get a residency here in US.

I did think about going to Caribbean Medical schools, but I have no idea which one is better. Going to India or waiting for four years, then go to Caribbean Med School?? I know that a Caribbean Med School grad has a WAY better chances of getting into the residency program than do Indian Med School grads.

I am going to India to study, and thats fixed. I am not backing down like I have done for my last 18.5 years. If I do want to get a seat in the residency program here in the US, that too in a GOOD residency program, what are my actions? What are the steps I should do?

I know that I have to aim for nearly a perfect score on the USMLE, especially Step 1, and do clinical rotations here. Another addition is that I soon will be a US citizen soon, in about 2-3 years?

Thanks in Advance!!

Hey there,
My question to you is when did you arrive in the US? I am asking this because you mentioned that you'll be a US citizen in 2-3 years. This has implications on what route you should take for medical education.

I arrived in United States in 1999. My citizenship took a little long because apparently our lawyer forgot to file it when the date was given, so I had to re-start the process all over again. I have a green card right now.

I arrived in United States in 1999. My citizenship took a little long because apparently our lawyer forgot to file it when the date was given, so I had to re-start the process all over again. I have a green card right now.

Btw, Which college did u apply to in India? Have u already finished your first year undergrad in US?

I am in the same boat as you Zeldajae! Everything you said is what is going on exactly with as well. I too, really want to go to India and study medicine as well, but I know it is not going to be an easy ride. I want to at least hear from 1 NRI person that their ride in India has been worth it. It is very difficult to transition from the American way of studying to the Indian way, but if I am prepared to put in the effort and time, is still going to as hard as everyone says.

Naturally, there is going to be an adjustment gap at first for everyone, but we cannot let small issues such as those get in the way of our larger goal. I am not saying that we shouldn't meddle and have a little fun, but there is no need to draw attention to yourself. I think the key is to try our best and blend in with the college crowd.

I just had to say something to all those people, who kept saying that there is no way an NRI can make it through college in India!!

As for my pressing question:

1. What would be some good colleges for NRI's to go to, especially in Andhra Pradesh Area?
- I've looked at Medicit, NRI College, Kamineni, but would like to hear more opinion.

2. How much of a dent can it make in a NRI's pocket? (Fees estimate?)

3. I would like to see an example answer sample to an Essay question, you normally get in India. An excellent example, of how one should answer a question when taking an exam in India.

If anyone could reply to my post, I would greatly appreciate it!! Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

Good luck for you career. Just a word of caution, whichever school you choose in India don't get into someone proxying for USMLE 1. Yes, word is out there are proxy guys who can take USMLE for med students.

There's no substitute for hard work. There has to be strong reason for you to go to med school other than good pay. Ethics is the most important in medicine.

Best of luck again.

I am in the same boat as you Zeldajae! Everything you said is what is going on exactly with as well. I too, really want to go to India and study medicine as well, but I know it is not going to be an easy ride. I want to at least hear from 1 NRI person that their ride in India has been worth it. It is very difficult to transition from the American way of studying to the Indian way, but if I am prepared to put in the effort and time, is still going to as hard as everyone says.

Naturally, there is going to be an adjustment gap at first for everyone, but we cannot let small issues such as those get in the way of our larger goal. I am not saying that we shouldn't meddle and have a little fun, but there is no need to draw attention to yourself. I think the key is to try our best and blend in with the college crowd.

I just had to say something to all those people, who kept saying that there is no way an NRI can make it through college in India!!

As for my pressing question:

1. What would be some good colleges for NRI's to go to, especially in Andhra Pradesh Area?
- I've looked at Medicit, NRI College, Kamineni, but would like to hear more opinion.

2. How much of a dent can it make in a NRI's pocket? (Fees estimate?)

3. I would like to see an example answer sample to an Essay question, you normally get in India. An excellent example, of how one should answer a question when taking an exam in India.

If anyone could reply to my post, I would greatly appreciate it!! Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

I am glad that there is someone who is in the same boat as I am. Now, I have couple of numbers I got through my grandfather, currently residing in India, who are NRI's and doing Clinical Rotations, finished MBBS, or taking USMLE right now. I can answer some of your questions from what I have heard from these NRIs.

1. You will have to do your research on this one. Look in these forums, they have a list of schools that accepts NRIs.

2. In USD, just for tuition would be about 20,000 - 30,000 per year, depending on which schools your go to. Again, you will have to do your research on the schools yourself.

3. I currently don't have a sample exam essay, but I CAN tell you what is suggested you should do. Make sure you are get RIGHT to the point, don't go off topic or include very little things. Get to the point. Simple. Include diagrams, flowcharts, bulletpoints, anything that can help reduce the essay and give it more a clean and simple essay that gets to the right points.

Word of advice: Don't take what people say into your head, keep it in your mind, but don't let it get to you. I know it is scary, but I know that I WANT TO BECOME A DOCTOR, so I am going to give my best and hardest.
Also pick a school in that in not in the rural areas, otherwise it will be hard for you in the Clinical sessions. Hit for the cities.

I wish you the best of luck. Remember: If you work hard, the road will be smooth. If you don't, the road will be bumpy.

Keep in touch! :)

Hey guys,

I am a NRI who wants to go to a medical school in India, preferably the ones that are most respected medical school AND have good facilities, not like dorms and food, I mean like good research facility, clinical facility, stuff like that. Are there other schools that do accept NRI that have good research and clinical facilities, perfeablly NEAR Ahmadabad, maximum 5 hours away from Ahmadabad. I looked at AIIMS and I doubt that I have a shot of getting in, but are there any others near Ahmadabad?

Thanks in Advance!!!
Let me know if you really find something. I think USMLE will be very hard due to there study type.

Let me know if you really find something. I think USMLE will be very hard due to there study type.

Thanks. I am going into my 2nd year now. I have started preparing for USMLE Step 1(Anatomy, Physiology, and Biochemistry), and most likely I will be taking it after my 2nd year ends or during my 3rd year, so all my topics will be covered by then.

Studying is a bit easier since I am not trained to simply crammed each word of the book into my brain, thus the exam may be slightly easier.