Poll: BU vs Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which one would you choose?

• BU

Votes: 26 44.1%
  • Downstate

Votes: 33 55.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelInside

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok lets say you were sitting on both acceptances and had to decide between the two. First off some background. I want to go into orthopedic surgery and have amassed 90k in debt from a grad program. With downstate I would walk away with another 120K in debt and with BU I would walk away with around another 280-290 debt. The research opportunities are by far much better at BU and I love the city and the university, but NYC is home to me and would save me a considerable amount of money. Definately torn between these two as I feel BU would put me in a better position for residency. Opinions?

Other pros for BU:

- more technologically equiped
- P/F curriculum
- Top 40 Med school

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So if you go to BU, you would walk away with close to 400,000 in debt?

Go to Downstate and never look back.

For everyone voting can you please include your reasoning as to why you are choosing whichever one you are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have financial help? How confident are you that you'll eventually land a nice salary?

Ok lets say you were sitting on both acceptances and had to decide between the two. First off some background. I want to go into orthopedic surgery and have amassed 90k in debt from a grad program. With downstate I will walk away with another 120K in debt and with BU I will walk away will around another 280-290 debt. The research opportunities are by far much better at BU and I love the city and the university, but NYC is home to me and would save me a considerable amount of money. Definately torn between these two as I feel BU would put me in a better position for residency. Opinions?

downstate, not even a close choice. Almost 200K difference is a huge amount and BU is really not all that much better than Downstate (if at all). Downstate has fine research and matches people into orthopedics, you just need to dominate the boards

Do you have financial help? How confident are you that you'll eventually land a nice salary?

No financial help and for you second question orthopedic doctors do get paid nicely but that isnt my main reason for choosing that field.

I dunno man, this is a tough one, hah.

you don't HAVE TO do research AT Downstate. Being in NY you have access to a whole bunch of other schools and if you have good research experience or have made good connections in the past you might be able to get some research in with an orthopedic surgeon at one of the schools/hospitals in Manhattan.

Wait till you get into both schools, review your financial aid options, and then post it. Furthermore, there's no guarantee you'll get into ortho, so what happens if you end up getting into an IM residency? Your whole post is based on blind speculation that you'll not only get into these two schools, but you'll also secure a coveted ortho residency.

BU is awesome, and I'd pick it over downstate in a heartbeat with no $$$ difference.

That being said, if BU really is 160k more (is downstate really that cheap?), this is a no brainer to go with Downstate. For 160k, I would consider Downstate over Harvard, much less BU.

Wait till you get into both schools, review your financial aid options, and then post it. Furthermore, there's no guarantee you'll get into ortho, so what happens if you end up getting into an IM residency? Your whole post is based on blind speculation that you'll not only get into these two schools, but you'll also secure a coveted ortho residency.
+1. you're getting way ahead of yourself.

Ok lets say you were sitting on both acceptances and had to decide between the two. First off some background. I want to go into orthopedic surgery and have amassed 90k in debt from a grad program. With downstate I would walk away with another 120K in debt and with BU I would walk away with around another 280-290 debt. The research opportunities are by far much better at BU and I love the city and the university, but NYC is home to me and would save me a considerable amount of money. Definately torn between these two as I feel BU would put me in a better position for residency. Opinions?

Other pros for BU:

- more technologically equiped
- P/F curriculum
- Top 40 Med school

As someone who considered Tufts vs. Downstate at one point, I declined my Tufts interview on the basis of cost of attendance...I also have no prior loans.

In short, Downstate hands down. You're saving money, it's a local school for you, and you don't have to worry about being under a huge debt load (which will ultimately increase your quality of life post-graduation!).

The only thing BU will do for you is stroke your ego because you can say you went to BU for med school--in the long run, you'll still achieve your career goals at either school! Maybe even better at Downstate because you'll have less debt and have more money to do what you want/need to do and achieve the lifestyle you want!

I would choose BU, just because I would feel much happier spending my 4 years there. Downstate has this depressing vibe to it..

I interviewed at both schools and I got the same vibe from both. Both schools are very into the fact that they are in not so great areas and have a very diverse patient population.

Though like many who posted before me... that much debt is not worth it. Harvard isn't even worth an extra 200k.

I would pick BU, but that's because I have a huge personal reason for wanting to stay be in Massachusetts. And that's stronger than 200k more debt.

Yes, you will achieve your career goals at either place. But, ultimately, no matter how much debt you rack up, it's four years of your life you can't take back and you need to be HAPPY there.

there's no guarantee you'll get into ortho, so what happens if you end up getting into an IM residency? Your whole post is based on blind speculation that you'll not only get into these two schools, but you'll also secure a coveted ortho residency.

what he said

Status
Not open for further replies.