PNWU-COM (Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences) Discussion 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you call LeAnn she will tell you why.
Did you change your application this year from last year?

Members don't see this ad.

Dang, I'm sorry man

This year is especially tough with only 50 seats being offered due to early acceptances and defers from last year of about 20 seats. So if you go with what PNWU said on their site for 27 people per seat last year, then this year there is about 37 applications for 1 seat. Don't give up though, there are other schools you can get into. Remember, the whole point is to become a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
oly,

sorry to hear that, as i know how big of a fan you were of this school :( You just got to look at it this way..... It wasnt meant to happen. Start doing some research into other schools that fit your taste and Im sure you will find one that really gets you as excited as PNWU did.... get those apps out there and let destiny take its course! ;) good luck!

Are they offering deferred admission to anyone yet? I looks like about 20-30 applicants from last year were given the option of attending this cycle.

Man, I want into this school!

Good luck, everyone!

They usually don't offer deferred admission till the last two interview dates.

i wouldnt be surprised if they offer less deferred admissions this time around.... last year i think they were kind of taken by surprise with the flood of applicants, and it doesnt seem to be slowing down this year! this school is quickly becoming very popular among applicants it seems

How long did it take from the time you were complete until the time that you got an interview invite? I haven't been complete for terribly long, but I kind of want a sense of how long I will be waiting.

I just got an email invite for an interview this afternoon at 4.50 pm Yakima time. I submitted my secondary on 10/30; they sent me a message confirming they accepted it (and they charged my credit card) on 11/4. I think I must have got it in just in time for a committee meeting.

Looks like interview days before X-mas are pretty much full. I was offered one of two days: 11/21 or 12/5. It looks like I'll be out there on the 5th. Hope I see you guys there.

It was literally 2 minutes after I made that post that I got my interview invite email! I'll be there on the 21st.

I'll be out there the 21st too! How's the pass this time of year (still clear?)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be out there the 21st too! How's the pass this time of year (still clear?)

You can fly to Portland, it's about an hour further, but there are no passes to go over. I'll be there the 21st too!

From Portland you have Satus Pass(a much lower pass) and the gorge to deal with.
From Seattle you have Snoqalamie pass which is alittle higher elevation. It is suggested to travel that pass between 11am and 3pm. If you travel around this time it shouldn't be a problem. But as always be prepared with chains, water, food and a blanket.

From Portland you have Satus Pass(a much lower pass) and the gorge to deal with.
From Seattle you have Snoqalamie pass which is alittle higher elevation. It is suggested to travel that pass between 11am and 3pm. If you travel around this time it shouldn't be a problem. But as always be prepared with chains, water, food and a blanket.

Taking I90 over snoqualmie pass is a better route. Personally, I hate taking the Gorge this time of year (I take White Pass from Yakima whenever I go to Portland instead of taking the Gorge).

Take snoqualmie pass, but check the pass report first so that you know what to expect (oh and all that stuff about chains, water, food and a blanket too!)

Taking I90 over snoqualmie pass is a better route. Personally, I hate taking the Gorge this time of year (I take White Pass from Yakima whenever I go to Portland instead of taking the Gorge).

Take snoqualmie pass, but check the pass report first so that you know what to expect (oh and all that stuff about chains, water, food and a blanket too!)

What's wrong with the gorge? Driven through there once, besides being stunning, it seemed fairly benign...did I miss something?

the gorge is defiantly better then white pass, i think just depends on preference! and what you grew up doing.
White pass will have more snow on it.
And the gorge either it is fine or it is closed! Just check the Wash ODot site given above and the oregon side before you head out www.tripcheck.org and you will do fine.

What's wrong with the gorge? Driven through there once, besides being stunning, it seemed fairly benign...did I miss something?

It is fairly benign most of the time, and it certainly is stunning. However, it is very windy (Hood River - windsurfing capitol of the world!!!!!:D).

I agree with sharkalo that it is a matter of preference - I like White Pass (and I could drive the road in my sleep).

It is fairly benign most of the time, and it certainly is stunning. However, it is very windy (Hood River - windsurfing capitol of the world!!!!!:D).

I agree with sharkalo that it is a matter of preference - I like White Pass (and I could drive the road in my sleep).

So, is White Pass the way I would go driving straight north out of Portland rather than east?

So, is White Pass the way I would go driving straight north out of Portland rather than east?

Highway 12 goes over White Pass. From Portland, you go north on I5 and turn off on Highway 12 a little ways up.

Are you from Portland? If you are flying into town for an interview, Yakima has an airport. I think the only airline they have (???) is Horizon.
Alternatively, Pasco has an airport, is about an hour closer than Seattle, and the road between Pasco and Yakima doesn't go over any passes.

Just got the acceptance call an hour ago. Woohoo! Anyone else from last fridays interview contacted?
Congrats! I was in your interview group I think. I haven't gotten a call yet, but my on-line app status shows "Wait-list." :-( Too bad, I was hoping for an offer; I'd love to go to this school! I guess I'll wait for a call tomorrow to see what my chances are.

David

Last edited:
Highway 12 goes over White Pass. From Portland, you go north on I5 and turn off on Highway 12 a little ways up.

Are you from Portland? If you are flying into town for an interview, Yakima has an airport. I think the only airline they have (???) is Horizon.
Alternatively, Pasco has an airport, is about an hour closer than Seattle, and the road between Pasco and Yakima doesn't go over any passes.

The cheapest flight I could find not to Portland or Seattle was >$600...that's tough to swallow. Flying to Portland, my entire trip (air, food, car, hotel) will be less, much less, than $600.

The cheapest flight I could find not to Portland or Seattle was >$600...that's tough to swallow. Flying to Portland, my entire trip (air, food, car, hotel) will be less, much less, than $600.

Well, in that case, fly to Portland. I know I said I prefer highway 12 to the gorge, but the gorge would be faster and probably safer.

You said that the flights to Portland and Seattle are cheaper - Seattle is about an hour closer, and Snoqualmie pass isn't that bad this time of year.

BTW, where are you coming from? (if you don't mind me asking)

fly to portland!

This is about the quietest I have seen this thread....Is everyone OK?:D Anyone fighting off the first of the year's colds? My daughter is sick. How about a small poll for those who live in the Yakima area (to get things moving again!)

What is your favourite restaurant in Yakima (or surrounding areas)?

Mine is Keoki's. It is this little hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant on Lincoln. I don't even know if it is still open, but the old owner was crazy (in a good way). The first time I went there, my wife and I were there late and the owner started offering us the food he was going throw away at half price.

the owner started offering us the food he was going throw away at half price.

Very nice, hopefully he was only throwing it away because it was the end of the day...:D

Very nice, hopefully he was only throwing it away because it was the end of the day...:D

Hopefully! I didn't get food poisoning, so no harm no foul.

Well, in that case, fly to Portland. I know I said I prefer highway 12 to the gorge, but the gorge would be faster and probably safer.

You said that the flights to Portland and Seattle are cheaper - Seattle is about an hour closer, and Snoqualmie pass isn't that bad this time of year.

BTW, where are you coming from? (if you don't mind me asking)

Nebraska.

Hopefully! I didn't get food poisoning, so no harm no foul.

So, I will try that restaurant. I'm going to spend an extra day in the city to look at the neighborhoods, get a good feel for schools and such, so that if accepted, my wife and I are educated about the schools and city. Which areas of the city would you all recommend or recommend avoiding? How about school districts for the kids? Any other restaurants for my personal enjoyment? Thanks!

Zesta Cucina http://www.zestacucina.com/
Bob's Keg and Cork, downtown
Northtown coffee shop, downtown

Areas to live, West Valley or Terrace Heights, schools good. Ask the school about good school districts, they should now.
Walk around downtown yakima ave and front street.
Another area to drive around in the 40th ave off Hwy 12 by the Fred Meyer and out to the West Valley (right on Tieton) etc.
Gives you a representative idea of the two main areas in Yakima.

So, I will try that restaurant. I'm going to spend an extra day in the city to look at the neighborhoods, get a good feel for schools and such, so that if accepted, my wife and I are educated about the schools and city. Which areas of the city would you all recommend or recommend avoiding? How about school districts for the kids? Any other restaurants for my personal enjoyment? Thanks!

Talk to LeAnne in admissions, she knows a ton about the town and would love to give you some info. I specifically remember her mentioning the school districts around there but I was zoning out...dont have kids:D

When you're in yakima, you have to go to miner's. They have huge burgers! Selah is also an ok place to live. You'll know the places you want to avoid by the look of it.

I can't stand Miners! I am just not the type that likes big greasy burgers though. Also, when I was growing up, any time my school would go through Yakima on a field trip or sporting event, we would stop and Miners (I was a pole vaulter trying to keep my weight under the limit of my pole, so I had shredded lettuce salads from Miners:hungover:)

I don't know if I would go out of my way to go to Keokis on your visit... Zesta Cucina is good though. Ballesteri's has good sandwiches and OK breakfast. El Porton is about the best (non-authentic) Mexican food that you can buy. Actually, after getting used to El Porton, all other Mexican food is tasteless!

If you have time, you should drive up either White Pass or Chinook Pass. They are both pretty, and will sell you on the outdoor activities that are available just outside of Yakima - Chinook Pass might be closed though (don't know when they close it).

Hope that you like Yakima! I grew up in Kennewick (~1hr away) and had a very negative view of Yakima. Of course, I had never spent ANY time there. My wife grew up in Yakima, and when we were dating I spent a great deal of time there and really grew to love the area.

I can't stand Miners! I am just not the type that likes big greasy burgers though. Also, when I was growing up, any time my school would go through Yakima on a field trip or sporting event, we would stop and Miners (I was a pole vaulter trying to keep my weight under the limit of my pole, so I had shredded lettuce salads from Miners:hungover:)

I don't know if I would go out of my way to go to Keokis on your visit... Zesta Cucina is good though. Ballesteri's has good sandwiches and OK breakfast. El Porton is about the best (non-authentic) Mexican food that you can buy. Actually, after getting used to El Porton, all other Mexican food is tasteless!

If you have time, you should drive up either White Pass or Chinook Pass. They are both pretty, and will sell you on the outdoor activities that are available just outside of Yakima - Chinook Pass might be closed though (don't know when they close it).

Hope that you like Yakima! I grew up in Kennewick (~1hr away) and had a very negative view of Yakima. Of course, I had never spent ANY time there. My wife grew up in Yakima, and when we were dating I spent a great deal of time there and really grew to love the area.

Thanks! I'll be there Friday, same day as you, right?

wahooo!!! Driving over the pass tomorrow... if for some reason I don't make it, tell LeAnn I tried my best... just kidding, whose up for booz'n on Thurs night?!?!?!?!

Keep me posted on how the Pass is (snowing much?). Last time I drove over there it was rather beautiful and peaceful.

To all of those who interviewed on Friday (11/21).

As we all await to hear the of our fates at this school in the coming week, I just wanted to say, good luck!

I know that I am nervous.

i havent visited sdn in a while, but it seems to me like the caliber of accepted applicants has gone up quite a bit since this time last year. Meanwhile my GPA has barely budged and is just now cresting the unimpressive 3.0 mark. Are schools getting noticeably more competitive in just one years time? How about PNWU in particular?

i havent visited sdn in a while, but it seems to me like the caliber of accepted applicants has gone up quite a bit since this time last year. Meanwhile my GPA has barely budged and is just now cresting the unimpressive 3.0 mark. Are schools getting noticeably more competitive in just one years time? How about PNWU in particular?

Heres the deal with PNWU this year. They offered 20 deferral spots to applicants last time around. they will still have a class of 75 students which puts the amount of people they have spots for at 55...with over 2000 aacomas applications by now im sure, the spots here are very competitive. HOWEVER I would expect the waitlist to move a fair amount because of how new the school still is (not that its a bad thing, its just tempting to go to a more established school over a new one for many..including myself), so being waitlisted is not the worst thing to have happen.

I'm an out-of-regioner(3.6 & 25 & nonscience major)Just got the acceptance call, I'm in. They let us know really quick. I interviewed friday (not a bad interview, but didn't much care for the standardized questionaire, not personal enough for my taste) and got my call today (monday). Super nice people, not far from beautiful mountains, didn't get a chance to see much of Yakima, but from what I did it seemed nice.

Good work!!! you think you'll go!?

Not sure...the campus was nice in the sense that it's brand new, but at times I felt claustrophobic...it felt a little small for me, and I'm a bit concerned about the clear lack of study space. On the tour the guide pointed out all the places the current students study-like every nook and cranny, so I wonder what will happen in a year when there are twice as many students. Also they were a little iffy when I pressed about what residencies they are developing. And lastly, they have zero clinical contact the first year. That being said, books and laptop included makes this school a bargain, and smart boards are way cool. The faculty, dean, and administration were VERY approachable and appeared to know most of the students on a first name basis, that's impressive to me. The dean has started a new medical school before (Pikeville), and the catalog at PNWU is very similar to Pikeville's. The location isn't bad depending on the part of Yakima, and you are close to incredible mountains. People say the housing is cheap, but in the two months I've been looking at housing it didn't appear to be much cheaper than say Colorado, Erie, Ohio, Michigan (other places I'm considering). Certainly less that Boston, Las Vegas, of So Cal...I guess it's relative. All and all, nice place, students are very happy, and the admin addresses student needs and concerns. Not sure where I'll end up yet.

One other thing, as pointed out above, the standardized questions have got to go. I liked my interviewers, but the format made them seem like robots. I think to get to know someone, which was their purpose, it needs to be more conversational.

One other thing, as pointed out above, the standardized questions have got to go. I liked my interviewers, but the format made them seem like robots. I think to get to know someone, which was their purpose, it needs to be more conversational.

Im in the same boat with pretty much everything you just said

i concur with what was written above...
but i'm in. just got the acceptance call today and interviewed on friday woo hoo.

good news for me, I got the :thumbup: today from some phone number with an area code I didn't recognize! :love: (it wasn't 206 or 425)