PNWU-COM (Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences) Discussion 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, but you got to think about it. 35K plus fees and a cheap living expenses because yakima's cost of living is so cheap, compared to living in socal or flordia. You'll actually be saving a good amount of money in the end.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm most definately applying here. Especially since I'm a resident of Washington. :smuggrin:

Yeah, but you got to think about it. 35K plus fees and a cheap living expenses because yakima's cost of living is so cheap, compared to living in socal or flordia. You'll actually be saving a good amount of money in the end.

I agree... its still a "good deal" when compared to other program locations and cost of living. However, now for only a little more you can get an education at a program that is not developing and has a reputation for producing quality graduates.

For example... DMU is a great school and their tution is $34K along with $2k each year ( a little higher the first year) for fees. That makes it a bit cheaper than PNWU if you don't factor in living expenses and moving long distance. So ... bottom line is for a few thousand extra you can now go to a program that is proven to be quality and is established.

I attened Oregon State Univ. and took their new Bioengineering program. That was a huge mess becasue it was new even though they have an enormous engineering program that is very well established. New schools and programs always have bumps to work out and that stress is passed on to the students. I would imagine it will be most apparent during the 3rd and 4th years when rotations happen to end up in random places around Washington and Northern Oregon becasue they are still in the process of securing locations for rotations. I know and currently work with three students doing the NW Track from Wester U. and their program puts them (if they choose Oregon) in either Portland or Corvallis for the whole two years. Since their program is established it makes life a little easier on the students. Yes, it does cost a bit more to move and live there and the tuition is higher, but if you have a wife and family I could not see doing rotations at "to be determined" locations as much of a plus. Therefore, saving a couple of thousand on living expenses will come at quite a cost for some when the 3rd and 4th year clinical locations are spread all over the place.

PNWU is in my top three choices only becasue of its proximity to my family so that my wife will not have to drive as far when she gets home sick. (I need to take her sanity into consideration as well as my own educational experience) This new hike in tuition and fees of nearly $6k makes this even less desireable of a place to attend. Don't get me wrong... I would be honored and delighted to attend anywhere, but I've been down the "new program" road before. I know its not OSU we're talking about, but with all of their program changes I had to take a 5th year along with the other 7 people in the program from my class and that was not cheap or fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
PNWU is in my top three choices only becasue of its proximity to my family so that my wife will not have to drive as far when she gets home sick. (I need to take her sanity into consideration as well as my own educational experience) This new hike in tuition and fees of nearly $6k makes this even less desireable of a place to attend. Don't get me wrong... I would be honored and delighted to attend anywhere, but I've been down the "new program" road before. I know its not OSU we're talking about, but with all of their program changes I had to take a 5th year along with the other 7 people in the program from my class and that was not cheap or fun.

I hate the new school school stereotype but its in the back of my mind for sure...time will tell!! every school has to start sometime, and im sure graduates of PNWU will be fine even if they have to work through a few kinks in the system :cool:

I know the graduates from PNWU will be fine... that is why I still look at this school seriously. It may just be at more of a cost then some of us anticipate. I worked with a fellow CNA who just started there and she was nervous about it too but took the plunge even without a guarantee of federal aid. However, she only applied to PNWU and OHSU so she really didn't leave too many options other than waiting another year. That is how I have come to know about he rotation situation and it makes me a little nervous.

I'm in the same boat, I have to worry about my wife's sanity too. Both of our families are relatively close to PNWU, which is a total plus. Perhaps the rotations are more developed than we might give them credit for. Since there aren't a lot (if any) rotation hospitals in the past, perhaps more hospitals and rural clinics would be willing to have medical students rotate there. I've read that medical students actually get the best experience at small hospitals because they don't have to compete with interns or residents. And possibly the attendings have more time to teach or they might be more excited to teach during clincals because they've haven't previously.

I sure hope that the clinical years are better developed so that there is at least a solid year before a big move is needed for year three and four.

I'm interviewing here on Oct 24th...bought my plane ticket yesterday!

Nice, congrats. How long after they said your application was complete did they invite you for an interview?

From their website:

Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences will focus on training a new generation of primary care physicians....

Can anyone that's there tell me about this? Is there no exposure to other specialties? I was about to submit my secondary until I saw that.....

I think we are all a little confused about this one, but from the student handbook on the website it seems that there will be plenty of opportunity to see disciplines other than primary care. It would be a shame if they intended to limit students in this way... none of the other schools do this so I would imagine that they will not either.

Nice, congrats. How long after they said your application was complete did they invite you for an interview?

It was literally a matter of days. Thursday I got the email I was complete, was told it would take 2-3 weeks to hear about an interview, and then received the interview email on Monday. Too bad my turnaround hasn't been that fast with my other apps!

That's an awesome turn around. I got an email today letting me know my application is complete. Perhaps I'll hear if I have an interview soon too! Where are you flying in from?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm flying in from northern Michigan that Thursday, interviewing Friday, then taking a red-eye back to MI Friday night...it will be a long couple of days!

I hope you get an interview invite soon!

(saw on your profile you're captain of the crew team- hello from a fellow rower!)

I also did CREW in college ... nice to know that so many people with similar interests are applying to the same place.:)

I also did CREW in college ... nice to know that so many people with similar interests are applying to the same place.:)

Nice! If we all end up here I say we find another person, a river, and a shell!:p

Nice! If we all end up here I say we find another person, a river, and a shell!:p

Instead of a river, how about a steep slope of snow?

snowboarding's cool too! I was a snowboard instructor at the mountian 45 minutes from yakima during high school

I must say, floating the yakima river is a great time..great way to chill out

That really depends where in Florida. The 8 grand a year difference will probably actually result in you about breaking even in south florida, although I talked to a girl that lived walking distance from nova for about 425 a month. The bradenton area is pretty cheap too. I've seen great deals there. Socal, well nothing is cheap in socal.

Anyone get any interview invitiations yet this week? I recieved a letter informing me that I was up for review last week, but nothing new yet.

Anyone get any interview invitiations yet this week? I recieved a letter informing me that I was up for review last week, but nothing new yet.

Well, I think I did...I got an email inviting me to their new web interface (anyone else get that?) and under the "decision" status it says "interview/ 9/30/2008"...I guess Ill find out what that means in a few days!

When were u complete? I am just wondering because I have only been complete for a few days.

When were u complete? I am just wondering because I have only been complete for a few days.

i was complete today and got the invite within 2 hours...OCTOBER 10th!!:D:D

I think they introduced the online thing very recently, might take time to get everyone on it.

Nice, I've got an interview October 10th also! On the online status it said interview 9/26/08, so I called them and they asked me what date I'd like to interview. So, I'll be there the 10th.

Nice, I've got an interview October 10th also! On the online status it said interview 9/26/08, so I called them and they asked me what date I'd like to interview. So, I'll be there the 10th.

See you there!

Mine says "Committee/9/30/2008," What does this mean?!

I would imagine that your application is under review for a possible interview.

Where is everyone staying when they are interviewing? I received an email today about staying with a med student, and while it would save money, I am thinking I might just get a hotel room (I like having my space). Does anyone know of any hotels that have a discounted rate for PNWU applicants, or have a shuttle to the school or airport, anything like that?
I stayed at a great hotel at DMU that had a free shuttle to and from the airport and to and from the school, and a discounted rate. It made the whole process a lot less stressful. It would be awesome if PNWU had something like that (even just a discounted rate!), but I'm not too hopeful...

See you in a few weeks DrJazzah :)

Well...there is the oxford Inn near the school. What I saw other interviewees do is fly into seatac rent a car to drive to the interview and maybe hotels around the airport. Driving from Seattle to Yakima is about 2.5 hours. The view is a very nice change if you are used to urban cities.

hey fellow october 10th interviewees! was just wondering if anyone was staying at the red lion? I just got in (just before midnight, stupid having to work late in spokane really messed up my timing) and am hitting the hay, but will be up early if anyone wants to meet sometime in the lobby or for breakfast! just post here or send me a PM! man, im so excited for tomorrow!!!!

;)

Hey guys, I figured out who a few of you are based on your MDapps> I just found this page today. Its cool that a bunch of you like to row, my great grandfather is George Pocock so it runs in my blood. We should definitely invest in a shell if we all end up getting accepted, that would be sweet. This is Adam, the tall one and the only one with a brown suit, btw. It was good meeting you all.

hahaha, it was nice to meet you too adam! Im tanner, the short guy out of our tour group ;)

What the hell's wrong with me? I just met you guys yesterday, but I can't remember who you are or what you look like.

What the hell's wrong with me? I just met you guys yesterday, but I can't remember who you are or what you look like.

ha, ya i was there too...its hard to match sdn identities with real people...I didnt want to be the nerd asking everyone "so whats your sdn name?" haha.

anyways how did you feel about those questions? i felt like i was being interviewed by pre-programmed robots!

I had a great time... and I thought the interview was well done. The questions were good and I hope I just answered them okay. I know I would have worded some things differently if I could do it over, but overall I was really impressed.

I had a great time... and I thought the interview was well done. The questions were good and I hope I just answered them okay. I know I would have worded some things differently if I could do it over, but overall I was really impressed.

im glad you liked it, i agree the questions were good ones. good luck man, i think everyone in this interview group looked really solid...too bad they can only accommodate 55 this year!!

DocB, i got the robot vibe as well, maybe we had the same interviewers. They seemed to loosen up after the scripted questions when I offered to catch them a trout in the yakima with my fly pole.

im glad you liked it, i agree the questions were good ones. good luck man, i think everyone in this interview group looked really solid...too bad they can only accommodate 55 this year!!

ya... its a good thing I have more interviews because I may need them. I still hope to hear from western. Its the only other chance I have of being in the NW for part of medical school with their NW track program.

DocB, i got the robot vibe as well, maybe we had the same interviewers. They seemed to loosen up after the scripted questions when I offered to catch them a trout in the yakima with my fly pole.

They seemed to like the fact that I took a weekend away from deer season for the interview too :D. I sure hope that they pick a bunch of us from the group that interviewed because it would be nice to have classes with all the people I met.

They are only accepting 55 this year? That's unfortunate!!!! Did they say why? Is it because of their facilities or because of accreditation issues? Other than that, I'm glad to hear that the interviews went well. Was there a committee or separate individual interviews? Were they "confrontational" in their questioning?

There are fewer spots because they accepted extra people last application cycle to matriculte in 2009. There are no accreditation issues. The interviewers were not confrontational at all. The faculty and students were all a bunch of super nice friendly people. The interview was 21 questions, everyone received the same questions, and they wrote down your responses. No difficult questions, just pretty basic ones.

hmmm...... a game of 21 questions. Well, that sounds different. I suppose that it makes it easier to compare applicants when they do that.

I was still sold on the school when the dean talked to us. He really sold the school to me.

They are only accepting 55 this year? That's unfortunate!!!! Did they say why? Is it because of their facilities or because of accreditation issues? Other than that, I'm glad to hear that the interviews went well. Was there a committee or separate individual interviews? Were they "confrontational" in their questioning?

I heard something along the lines of

75 spots last year

MAYBE 85ish spots this year

20ish given acceptances for this year

Please correct me if I am wrong... but I figure the WORST CASE is 55 spots this year (I doubt all 20 acceptances would have chosen to defer for a year...)

I heard something along the lines of

75 spots last year

MAYBE 85ish spots this year

20ish given acceptances for this year

Please correct me if I am wrong... but I figure the WORST CASE is 55 spots this year (I doubt all 20 acceptances would have chosen to defer for a year...)

Did you hear this at the interview? The only thing I heard from the staff was that all 20 of the people that they offered decided to wait for 2009 and that there was only going to be 55 slots available this year. (If I heard right they already have 900 finished secondary apps. for those positions) They did mention that there may be as many as 125 per year once the school gets fully finished.