===Penn State Class of 2011===

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bringing my current laptop. I'll probably buy a new battery since mine only holds 40 min of charge.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I am new to this thread but wondering is it that big a deal to miss the 2nd look day. I am going to be out of town at a wedding so I am going to be unable to make it.
As far as living goes, I heard that place named briarcrest is near but have no idea about the cost. From my impression at the interview day, housing is fairly inexpensive.

Also, Anyone know anything about orientation? Where is the schedule for that. On the website they have the c/o 2010 schedule which looks like a boozefest. I am in. Look forward to meeting a lot of u guys at orientation.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone-

welcome to the newbies who just joined the thread!

as for housing, the on campus apartments aren't too 80's. most of the 2 bedroom apts have been renovated, the 4 bdrm haven't been yet. as someone already stated, the earlier your move in date is, the better your chances are for being put in the room you want. if you want a 2 bedroom place, try to put as early a date as you can. and yes, there is a place to park your car if you live on campus. there is a lot of construction going on right now so it's all a bit of a mess but there is parking for you. if you want to live off campus, briarcrest is within walking distance although it is very pricey. if you have time during second look, take a look in the halls. often times you'll see flyers for cheap rooms (and i mean cheap). if you spend enough time looking, you can find a nice little place off campus for just as much as you'd spend to live on campus (utilities included). rosedale is another complex people live in as is alpine heights. if you have money to spare, hershey heights is expensive but pretty nice. if you're looking to buy, there are many developments popping up around here. the reserve is the one i can think of right now that many students buy into. we might try to pull together a housing pamphlet for second look where current students can advertise open rooms in houses etc.

i don't know if the bookstore will be open for second look but most of the ladies in the bookstore are very nice and i'm sure they'd be happy to talk to you about t-shirts/sweatshirts they have in stock.

the class of 2010 is 153 strong. i don't think your class will be so big. the class before us i think is around 135. you'll probably be somewhere in between.

congrats to all and feel free to let me know if you've got any other questions... :)

Welcome! I just pasted something LT2 (A PSUCOM STUDENT) posted earlier about housing- I hope this helps you!
As for the second look day, I don't think it's a big deal to miss it at all. I think it's to help people make a final decision if necessary and also, to give people who know they are going a chance to look around (without interview pressures) and perhaps check out housing.
All I know about orientation is that it starts Aug. 6.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice about cars. I think I would need one in Hershey (cow country and all), which means I will probably need to buy a new one. I would like to try to use money from loans to do this. Any one have any advice? Thanks!:oops:

Welcome! I just pasted something LT2 (A PSUCOM STUDENT) posted earlier about housing- I hope this helps you!
As for the second look day, I don't think it's a big deal to miss it at all. I think it's to help people make a final decision if necessary and also, to give people who know they are going a chance to look around (without interview pressures) and perhaps check out housing.
All I know about orientation is that it starts Aug. 6.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice about cars. I think I would need one in Hershey (cow country and all), which means I will probably need to buy a new one. I would like to try to use money from loans to do this. Any one have any advice? Thanks!:oops:

Don't buy a new one. Buy something that is good enough to get you by...i.e. a couple of years old and cheap. Keep in mind that not only would a new car cost significantly more, but your insurance for a new car vs. an older model would be significantly greater as well. Just some things to keep in mind.

i should be at penn state .... nice meeting some of my future classmates

Ok so this might be a little to early but

1.I don't think there is a note taking service

a)Is it beneficial to have one?
b)How easy is it to get it up and running?

2.Is there way to record lectures for viewing later? or have them available for download to your ipod?

Hello future classmates = )

I remember someone asking about when we're going to get our financial aid information and I received mine today.

Looking forward to meeting you all at Second Look.

So share...what did the financial aid package look like...all loans? Scholarship? Let us know, unless it is too personal. I understand if this is the case.

That is about what I got..is it normal not to get any scholarship at all?

Great to hear that everyone has been AT LEAST covered with loans! That bodes well for me since I was waiting on that very fact before withdrawing from my in-state NY schools. Did these come through snail mail?

Also, anyone else realize that the Cancer Institute opens in May 2008... Perfect timing for our clinical rotations!

ALSO, did anyone else see on the Computer Tech website that we get free subscriptions to Napster? http://napster.psu.edu/

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks House...that is pretty much what I expected.

I will post when I get mine as well to let you all know if it is any different.

Where did they mail the financial aid info? Permanent or mailing address?

hey all-

as always, hello to the new "faces" in the group. i'm glad to hear some of you are receiving financial aid info. it makes everything seem more real, if that makes any sense. as for scholarships, they are few and far between (ie. don't count on it).

as far as the other questions being asked, i encourage those asking questions to flip through the previous pages of this thread as many of them have already been answered at some point or another. :)

as for the scribe service, there isn't one but if your class chooses to start one, no one will stop you. they are working on recording lectures (audio only) to post online after lectures. from my perspective, we really haven't needed anything of the sort. the profs give pretty good notes or their ppt presentations are sufficient to study from. (i think i've posted about this before too...)

we are gearing up for second look and we are trying to plan meet and greets with current students the night before and the afternoon of second look. so if you're making travel plans, try to get in early enough friday afternoon so you can come out with us friday night and if you plan to leave saturday evening/night you should be fine. i'll try to keep you all posted as things are finalized (and of course, you'll receive a schedule once it's all ready).

hey all-

as always, hello to the new "faces" in the group. i'm glad to hear some of you are receiving financial aid info. it makes everything seem more real, if that makes any sense. as for scholarships, they are few and far between (ie. don't count on it).

as far as the other questions being asked, i encourage those asking questions to flip through the previous pages of this thread as many of them have already been answered at some point or another. :)

as for the scribe service, there isn't one but if your class chooses to start one, no one will stop you. they are working on recording lectures (audio only) to post online after lectures. from my perspective, we really haven't needed anything of the sort. the profs give pretty good notes or their ppt presentations are sufficient to study from. (i think i've posted about this before too...)

we are gearing up for second look and we are trying to plan meet and greets with current students the night before and the afternoon of second look. so if you're making travel plans, try to get in early enough friday afternoon so you can come out with us friday night and if you plan to leave saturday evening/night you should be fine. i'll try to keep you all posted as things are finalized (and of course, you'll receive a schedule once it's all ready).

Hey man, thanks for the info. I'm planning on coming to second-look with my parents, do a lot of people do the same?

Hey man, thanks for the info. I'm planning on coming to second-look with my parents, do a lot of people do the same?

i can't remember how many kids brought parents last year but people definitely did. we are planning tours for parents for second look so please feel free to bring them!

If I am unable to make second look, is it that big of a deal? Am i going to miss receiving important information? I am going to be out of town that weekend and unable to attend and just hoping its not that big of a deal

If I am unable to make second look, is it that big of a deal? Am i going to miss receiving important information? I am going to be out of town that weekend and unable to attend and just hoping its not that big of a deal

no, it's not a big deal. trust me, you'll get all of that info during orientation (and then some). :oops:

the only thing you might miss out on is housing info but if you're planning on living on campus, you'll get all the info you need without attending second look.

Recieved my financial "award" letter today. It is identical to that of Dr. House. 60,000 a year in loans is pretty scary, but hopefully well worth it!!

I know i posted this before, but if any of you get a chance to look at Briarcrest apartments, please post on here and tell what you thought of them. Thanks,

Nubs

For those of you who have already received your financial aid info, did you get a confirmation email/letter anything after sending in all the forms and stuff? Or have you heard nothing from PSU until the actual aid letter?

Thanks! :)

I had a problem with my legal state of residence status. I don't know when I'll receive a big package like you guys. They're trying to fix it now.

future classmates!!!!!!!

well i received my acceptances a few weeks ago, but it was sent to an old address and i didnt find out till last tuesday. unfortunately for me, i couldn't get to celebrate cuz i had a really big exam today. so now that the exam is over and my liver is slowly but surely detoxing the alcohol, ---> CHEERS TO THE PENN STATE CLASS OF 2011

it just hit me... IM GOING TO BE A DOCTORRRRR

o yea... forgot to mention... i interviewed on the 13th of march and the acceptance letter was dated the 15th, postmarked the 16th.... weird... anyone else got this lucky???

For those of you who have already received your financial aid info, did you get a confirmation email/letter anything after sending in all the forms and stuff? Or have you heard nothing from PSU until the actual aid letter?

Thanks! :)

I am wondering the same thing, since I haven't heard back yet either.

The Financial Aid Office said they were downloading information for incoming students the week of March 12th. Before that I didn't really receive any confirmation or information from them until my award letter arrived yesterday. I guess it just depends on when you sent your FAFSA and when it was confirmed.

As far as the award goes, basically loans for me as well. I was prepared for this, at least I thought, but all those numbers are daunting. =T

I had a problem with my legal state of residence status. I don't know when I'll receive a big package like you guys. They're trying to fix it now.

The problem appears to be with their database system. If you're not a US citizen then (according to it) you cannot be a legal resident of any state in the US.

Hey, I had the same problem too, mainly because the zipcode in my preferred address does not match my legal residence. I hope it doesn't take them a while to process our financial stuff.

Where did they mail the financial aid info? Permanent or mailing address?

It came to my mailing address.

No email, just a letter from out of the blue.

I am wondering the same thing, since I haven't heard back yet either.

I would see a delayed period as a good sign. It could possibly mean free money is coming your way if your stats are making them think longer about it.

I was prepared for this, at least I thought, but all those numbers are daunting. =T

werd.

future classmates!!!!!!!(...)my liver is slowly but surely detoxing the alcohol, ---> CHEERS TO THE PENN STATE CLASS OF 2011

it just hit me... IM GOING TO BE A DOCTORRRRR

:clap: Isn't that the greatest feeling ever?

Congrats to all the other new acceptees too!

So my financial aid got sent to my permanent address and from what was read off to me over the phone, I got Perkins loans, but no Stafford or GradPlus loans...I'm worried.

I still haven't received my financial "award" yet. Hopefully tomorrow, which by the way happens to be opening day for my beloved Yankees!

Also, does anyone know the dress code for second look? I truly hope it is extremely informal!

Also, does anyone know the dress code for second look? I truly hope it is extremely informal!

I'm pretty sure it's like a business casual thing--nothing too fancy (like at interviews), but t-shirts and jeans don't cut it either. For guys, I think it's a safe bet to wear a collared shirt and khakis or something (think one step above fratty bar attire). Being a girl, I'm probably gonna wear a blouse with a skirt or black pants...and sandals because I love them. :laugh:

I'm pretty sure it's like a business casual thing--nothing too fancy (like at interviews), but t-shirts and jeans don't cut it either. For guys, I think it's a safe bet to wear a collared shirt and khakis or something (think one step above fratty bar attire). Being a girl, I'm probably gonna wear a blouse with a skirt or black pants...and sandals because I love them. :laugh:

Golf attire.

Hi Bunsoy,
Tell me when you received your package. I'm waiting for my package too and I'll keep you informed. Did you call financial office?

Hey, I had the same problem too, mainly because the zipcode in my preferred address does not match my legal residence. I hope it doesn't take them a while to process our financial stuff.

Hi Bunsoy,
Tell me when you received your package. I'm waiting for my package too and I'll keep you informed. Did you call financial office?

Sounds good. It was a little scary when they noted that it "may put our Financial Aid status in jeopardy". I just hope we would still get a good financial aid package.

I didn't call financial, but fixed the problem with Admissions. They told me to wait (it feels like waiting for the school's decision again!).

Same here. Also, in the email they sent me, it said " if you don't response to this email within a week, the committee is forced to cancel your seat in the class" Of course, I responsed immediately but it still sounds scary. I'll keep you posted.
Sounds good. It was a little scary when they noted that it "may put our Financial Aid status in jeopardy". I just hope we would still get a good financial aid package.

I didn't call financial, but fixed the problem with Admissions. They told me to wait (it feels like waiting for the school's decision again!).

So apparantly, I messed up my FAFSA and said that I was NOT interested in federal loans when in fact I desperately need them--hence my $9000 award letter. I called PSU and they said they have a whole list of people who did the same thing--they're going to re-process them and send out an email that will include the revised award letter. Just in case anyone else out there is in my situation. :p

As of 04/04/07 8:59PM, I've still not received my financial package yet. :(

Anyone know what bank is most prevalent on campus? I currently have M&T, but not sure if their ATMs are around Hershey.

hi! i was just wondering if, for those out of staters, anyone was going to change their residency to PA?

hi! i was just wondering if, for those out of staters, anyone was going to change their residency to PA?

From what everyone I have talked to has said, changing your state status while in school is not possible. I am hoping though that someone comes on here and corrects me and outlines a clear and easy way to gain state status.

Sorry to give the bad news.

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for all the great information from your posts. Now for a really quick intro I'm originally from PA and am finishing up school in St. Louis. I love sports...so I want to join the bandwagon going up to State College for some football games. I am looking forward to meeting all of you who are going to the 2nd look weekend, and for those who cannot make it I'm sure we'll fill you in on all the details.

Now for the banking question from NYyanx28:

Anyone know what bank is most prevalent on campus? I currently have M&T, but not sure if their ATMs are around Hershey.

I have a PNC Bank account, and I'm pretty sure that there were PNC ATM's on campus and it looks like they have a decent number of locations around town (somebody please correct me if I am mistaken). I'd also go online to M&T's website to see their locations near campus. Hope that helps!:idea:

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for all the great information from your posts. Now for a really quick intro I'm originally from PA and am finishing up school in St. Louis. I love sports...so I want to join the bandwagon going up to State College for some football games. I am looking forward to meeting all of you who are going to the 2nd look weekend, and for those who cannot make it I'm sure we'll fill you in on all the details.

Now for the banking question from NYyanx28:

I have a PNC Bank account, and I'm pretty sure that there were PNC ATM's on campus and it looks like they have a decent number of locations around town (somebody please correct me if I am mistaken). I'd also go online to M&T's website to see their locations near campus. Hope that helps!:idea:

there are PNC's all over hershey (there is also a PNC ATM in the hospital). as for M&T, i think there is one in town but there are far more PNC's around. :)

oh, there's also really no way to gain in state residency for tuition purposes. :(

Anyone still not receive their fin aid letter? Mine still hasn't come. I called on Monday and she said that there were a few letters left to go out, but should arrive by the end of the week...... hmmm..... still not here.

Anyone still not receive their fin aid letter? Mine still hasn't come. I called on Monday and she said that there were a few letters left to go out, but should arrive by the end of the week...... hmmm..... still not here.

I still haven't gotten mine either. I called last week and the lady said that by Feb 15 we should have ours.