===Penn State Class of 2011===

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm Excited As Anyone....ready To Get The Road On The Show...or Show On The Road:hungover:

Members don't see this ad.

Does Anyone Know About Free T-shirts During Second Look? Lol

I Just Have To Ask The Important Questions

Hi all,
I had my interview with PSU in Jan. I came back to my native country in Feb 25. PSU sent me a big package couple days later and I came back to states in March. It was late to send back acknowledge of acceptance. I called PSU and the school was so nice. I sent out my orange form and now I'm officially PSU COM 2011.
I just want to say hi to everyone here. I'm sure I'm going to PSU over my state schools (MSU and WSU).
P/S: Does anyone has our match list for this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent the web administrator an email about the residency spots for 2007. I was told they'd be up next week.

Welcome catau. Where were you visiting/working outside of the country?

Helllll ya! I can't wait for orientation!

Orientation looks more like a week long drinking contest than anything educational...the good thing about this portion of medschool is that everyone wins!! Cause we all know the old saying...when you booze, you WIN!!

Can't wait guys. It is seriously killing me having to go into work every day.

Off topic, but is anyone else considering visiting Briarcrest apartments on the second look weekend? If you are I would love to here about what you thought about them. Right now that is where I am planning on living. Let me know!

Nubs

Orientation looks more like a week long drinking contest than anything educational...the good thing about this portion of medschool is that everyone wins!! Cause we all know the old saying...when you booze, you WIN!!

:laugh: The saying at my undergrad was always, win or lose we still booze.

:laugh: The saying at my undergrad was always, win or lose we still booze.

I'm extremely excited for Orientation! One day the option is like... BBQ/Swimming or Bar Hopping... umm, I'll take the booze. Also, just so everyone knows, I called the on-campus housing office and they said spots are filling up already! You have to sign up on their website ASAP, but since it's not binding, you have absolutely nothing to lose to sign up now and still look for off-campus housing.

Also, does anyone know where we can buy our Penn State Med shirts/sweatshirts for everyone in our families who are dying to own one? I looked on their bookstore website but all they had was the typical Penn State stuff, or Dickinson Law stuff. They are playa hatin' the docs.

Hi all,
I just wanted to introduce myself since I am more than likely headed to Penn State in the fall too. I am a non-trad (27yo) from Eastern WA. I really liked Penn State when I was there and I really excited to get started. Have you all already gotten the orientation schedule? I haven't yet and I was accepted ~2mo ago, although I haven't sent in the deposit yet.

Can't wait to meet everyone!

Hi future doc,
I went back to Viet Nam, my home country. I can't wait to see all you there. I'll be on Second Look Day. Could you please PM the match list or post it here? I really want to see where our classmates go.
Rgds

Also, does anyone know where we can buy our Penn State Med shirts/sweatshirts for everyone in our families who are dying to own one? I looked on their bookstore website but all they had was the typical Penn State stuff, or Dickinson Law stuff. They are playa hatin' the docs.

I was looking for the same thing a couple of days ago.

http://hershey-med.bncollege.com/we...et/BNCBHomePage?storeId=18574&catalogId=10001

I was told that there's nothing listed online right now, but they are working on it. You can describe what you want and they'll email you back with what they have as well as the sizes available.

their email is [email protected]

Hey guys,

Where are most people living first year? Also, is anyone planning on bringing a car? For those that live on campus, will there be a place to park? Any recommendations about housing - dos or donts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Where are most people living first year? Also, is anyone planning on bringing a car? For those that live on campus, will there be a place to park? Any recommendations about housing - dos or donts?

I called the housing office on-campus yesterday and they said that housing is ongoing. I would sign up ASAP on the residential website and I recommend everyone do so, since it is not binding whatsoever. They said they base priorities for on-campus housing on move-in dates. So if you put a July move in date, you will have higher placement priority than someone with an August move in date. Based on this knowledge, I put a July 20th move-in date and will just fork over the pro-rated month of July pay(since I won't be moving in til August).

You can have a car on campus it seems since they ask for the make/model on the housing application. The lady also said that we could put "any first year medical student" for roommate preference.

Hope this helps, I would prefer to live on-campus my first year since it seems like you can get a lot closer with your classmates and all. Plus they just renovated the gym and much of the apartments.

I called the housing office on-campus yesterday and they said that housing is ongoing. I would sign up ASAP on the residential website and I recommend everyone do so, since it is not binding whatsoever. They said they base priorities for on-campus housing on move-in dates. So if you put a July move in date, you will have higher placement priority than someone with an August move in date. Based on this knowledge, I put a July 20th move-in date and will just fork over the pro-rated month of July pay(since I won't be moving in til August).

You can have a car on campus it seems since they ask for the make/model on the housing application. The lady also said that we could put "any first year medical student" for roommate preference.

Hope this helps, I would prefer to live on-campus my first year since it seems like you can get a lot closer with your classmates and all. Plus they just renovated the gym and much of the apartments.

Hey thanks for the info:) I just looked at the virtual tour online...they said the apts were renovated but they dont look so...look kinda dark and 80s like:( does anyone know what the off campus options are just in case?

Does anyone know when orientation/class starts? From last year's schedule, the orientation starts on the second week of Aug, and class starts the third week of Aug. . . I'm guessing it's likely to be the same for this year.

Does anyone know when orientation/class starts? From last year's schedule, the orientation starts on the second week of Aug, and class starts the third week of Aug. . . I'm guessing it's likely to be the same for this year.

Orientation starts on the 6th of August as per the acceptance letter.

wow, my acceptance letter doesn't say that.... just that the "Acknowledgement of acceptance" form is due w/in two weeks of acceptance and $100 deposit is due by May 15th.

Yea, mine doesn't mention the Orientation date either.

I'm starting to get really fricken excited everyone! I feel like this is going to be the hardest, but the best four years of my life!

Yea, mine doesn't mention the Orientation date either.

I'm starting to get really fricken excited everyone! I feel like this is going to be the hardest, but the best four years of my life!

My bad...it wasn't the acceptance letter...it was the acknowledgement of acceptance letter that had the date. It said that we are required to take part in all orientation activities starting on Monday August 6th, 2007 including the white coat ceremony (which I believe takes place the following Friday). Sorry for the confusion. I did not have a special letter, just mispoke. Still excited though.

Nubs

My bad...it wasn't the acceptance letter...it was the acknowledgement of acceptance letter that had the date. It said that we are required to take part in all orientation activities starting on Monday August 6th, 2007 including the white coat ceremony (which I believe takes place the following Friday). Sorry for the confusion. I did not have a special letter, just mispoke. Still excited though.

Nubs

Any acceptance letter is a special letter ;). I didn't know the date of the white coat ceremony, thanks!

I really want to buy a house. After seeing how much the medical center is going to expand during the next couple of years, it seems like buying a house is not such a bad idea. It still seems scary though. Anybody else taking the plunge?

I really want to buy a house. After seeing how much the medical center is going to expand during the next couple of years, it seems like buying a house is not such a bad idea. It still seems scary though. Anybody else taking the plunge?

It definitely seems like a good idea - any ideas about where or which neighborhoods exactly? I am going to start researching and maybe take a trip up there soon to see what is available.

I am thinking about it too. I currently own a house here and it has been a great investment. Someone told me the Harrisburg area is one of the fastest growing in the US, so values would probably only get better.... the only down side is that there doesn't seem to be much selection in Hershey. Also depending on utility costs, taxes, homeowners insurance, etc. in the area, it would be really easy to spend A LOT more on a house than renting.

Hopefully Penn State football has an amazing year! Obviously we wouldn't be as into to the sports as perhaps the undergraduates, but coming from Binghamton(with garbage D1 sports) I'll be looking forward to having a team to root for.

So what is everyones preliminary interests thus far in terms of medical specialties? Obviously we don't know exactly what we want to do at this point (at least most of us), but at this point in our budding careers, what interests you most?

I am right now most interested in Primary Care (internal medicine or peds). And yes I realize it does not make the big bucks, but this I guess it is all relative to what you consider big. I am very open minded though and excited to experience what many other specialties have to offer as well.

Everyone should chime in on this one...

Nubs

I revised the match list for easy reading
Some comments:
1. PSU this year became a baby factory with 15 ped
2. Total only 94 grads, what is the class size of class of 2007. I guess it should be more than that. Where the rest of the class go?
Enjoy.........
-----------------

Anesthesiology (9)
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey, PA Anesthesiology
UPMC Medical Education Prog Pittsburgh, PA Anesthesiology
UPMC Medical Education Prog Pittsburgh, PA Anesthesiology*
U Rochester/Strong Mem Rochester, NY Anesthesiology*
- YorkHospitalYork, PA Transitional*
B I Deaconess Med Ctr Boston, MA Anesthesiology*
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey, PA Anesthesiology*
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Med Ctr Lebanon, NH Anesthesiology*
- LehighValleyHosp Allentown, PA Transitional*
UCLAMedicalCenterLos Angeles, CA Anesthesiology*
U Southern California* Los Angeles, CA Anesthesiology*
- Frankford Hospitals Philadelphia, PA Transitional*

Dermatology (2)
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey, PA Dermatology*
- Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey, PA Medicine-Preliminary*
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey, PA Dermatology*
- YorkHospitalYork, PA Medicine-Preliminary*

Emergency Medicine (6)
Long Island Jewish Med Ctr Long Island, NY Emergency Med
University Hosp-Cincinnati Cincinnati, OH Emergency Med
N Shore U-Manhasset Manhasset, NY Emergency Med
YorkHospitalYork, PA Emergency Medicine*
U Massachusetts Med School*Worchester, MA Emergency Medicine*
St Lukes-Roosevelt New York, NY Emergency Medicine*

Family Practice (9)
Christiana Care-Health Services Wilmington, DE Family Med
Lancaster Gen Hosp Lancaster, PA Family Practice*
UPMC St Margaret Pittsburgh, PA Family Medicine
Lancaster Gen Hosp Lancaster, PA Family Practice*
YorkHospitalYork, PA Family Practice*
Good Samaritan Med Ctr Phoenix, AZ Family Practice*
Hosp of the Univ of PA* Philadelphia, PA Family Practice*
St Vincent Hlth Ctr Erie, PA Family Medicine*
Stamford Hosp/Columbia Stamford, CT Family Practice*

General Surgery(4)
B I Deaconess Med Ctr Boston, MA General Surgery*
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey, PA General Surgery*
YorkHospitalYork, PA General Surgery*
New Hanover Reg Med Ctr Wilmington, NC General Surgery*

Orthopaedic Surgery (4)
U Washington Affil Hosps* Seattle, WA Orthopaedic Surgery*
Duke Univ Med Ctr Durham, NC Orthopaedic Surgery*
George Washington Univ Washington, DC Orthopaedic Surgery*
Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr Bronx, NY Orthopaedic Surgery*

Plastic Surgery (2)
- St Vincents Med Ctr Bridgeport, CT Transitional
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey, PA Plastic Surgery*
OhioState Univ Med Ctr Columbus , OH Plastic Surgery*

Neurological Surgery (1)
University of MinnesotaMinneapolis, MN Neurological Surgery
- U Minnesota Med School Minneapolis, MN Surgery-Preliminary*

Internal Medicine(12)
Thomas JeffersonUniv Philadelphia, PA Internal Medicine*
Indiana Univ Sch Of Med* Indianapolis, IN Internal Medicine*
Prov Portland Med Ctr Portland, OR Internal Medicine*
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey, PA Internal Medicine*
UMDNJ-R W Johnson-Piscataway*New Brunswick, NJ Internal Med
TempleUnivHosp Philadelphia, PA Internal Medicine*
B I Deaconess Med Ctr Boston, MA Internal Medicine*
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey, PA Internal Medicine*
U Southern California* Los Angeles, CA Internal Medicine*
University of Virginia* Charlottesville, VA Internal Medicine*
Massachusetts Gen Hosp* Boston, MA Internal Medicine*
George Washington Univ Washington, DC Internal Medicine*

Neurology (4)
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey, PA Medicine-Preliminary*
- Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State
Hershey, PA Neurology*
U Rochester/Strong Mem Rochester, NY Neurology*
Johns Hopkins Hosp Baltimore, MD Child Neurology
- Childrens Hospital-Phila
Philadelphia, PA Pediatrics*
Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr Bronx, NY Neurology*
- St Vincents Hospital
New York , NY Medicine-Preliminary*

Obstetrics-Gynecology (5)
U Massachusetts Med School*Worchester, MA Obstetrics-Gynecology*
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey, PA Obstetrics-Gynecology*
Pennsylvania Hospital* Philadelphia, PA Obstetrics-Gynecology*
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey, PA Obstetrics-Gynecology*
Lehigh Valley Hosp Allentown, PA Obstetrics-Gynecology*

Ophthalmology(2)
Wayne State University Detroit, MI Opthalmology
- St Joseph Mercy-Ann Arbor Ann Arbor, MI Surgery-Preliminary*

University of Maryland Baltimore, MD Ophthalmology
- Christiana Care
Newark, DE Transitional*

Otolaryngology (3)
Yale-New Haven Hosp New Haven, CT Otolaryngology*
U Rochester/Strong Mem Rochester, NY Otolaryngology*
Eastern VA Med School Norfolk, VA Otolaryngology

Pathology (1)
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr New York, NY Pathology*

Pediatrics (15)
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr New York, NY Pediatrics*
Rhode Island Hosp/Brown U* Providence, RI Peds/Psych/Child Psych*
Pitt County Mem Hosp/Brody SOM Greenville, NC Pediatrics*
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State
Hershey, PA Pediatrics*
U
Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics*Madison, WI Pediatrics*
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State
Hershey, PA Pediatrics*
INOVA Fairfax Hospital Falls Church, VA Pediatrics*
U Rochester/Strong Mem
Rochester, NY Pediatrics*
U Massachusetts Med School*Worchester, MA Pediatrics*
U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor*Ann Arbor, MI Pediatrics*

U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor* Ann Arbor, MI Medicine-Pediatrics*
OSU/Childrens Hosp Columbus , OH Pediatrics*
U
Nevada Affil Hosp* Las Vegas, NV Pediatrics*
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey, PA Medicine-Pediatrics*
Johns Hopkins Hosp Baltimore, MD Pediatrics*

Phys Medicine & Rehab (2)
LSU SOM-New Orleans New Orleans, LA Phys Medicine & Rehab*
UPMC Medical Education Prog Pittsburgh, PA Phys Medicine & Rehab*

Psychiatry (6)
Johns Hopkins Hosp Baltimore MD Psychiatry*
UC Davis Med Ctr Sacramento, CA Psychiatry*
University of Virginia* Salem, VA Psychiatry*
Rush University Med Ctr Chicago, IL Medicine-Psychiatry*
U Utah Affil Hospitals* Salt Lake City, UT Psychiatry*
U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor*Ann Arbor, MI Psychiatry*

Radiology (4)
Oregon Health & Science Univ*Portland, OR Radiology-Diagnostic*
- Legacy Emanuel/Good Samaritan
Portland, OR Transitional*
UC Davis Med
Ctr Sacramento, CA Radiology-Diagnostic*
- Alameda Co Med
Ctr Oakland, CA Medicine-Preliminary*
U Texas Med Sch-Houston* Houston, TX Radiology-Diagnostic*
-
York Hospital York, PA Transitional*
Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey, PA Radiology-Diagnostic*
-
York Hospital York, PA Transitional*

Radiation-Oncology (1)
New England Med Ctr Boston, MA Radiation-Oncology
- Hershey Med Ctr/Penn State Hershey, PA Medicine-Preliminary*

Urology (1)
University of Texas/HSC Houston, TX Urology
- U Texas Med Sch-Houston*
Houston, TX Surgery-Preliminary*

Thanks Catau!!! Much easier to read through!

hey everyone-

welcome to the newbies who just joined the thread!

as for housing, the on campus apartments aren't too 80's. most of the 2 bedroom apts have been renovated, the 4 bdrm haven't been yet. as someone already stated, the earlier your move in date is, the better your chances are for being put in the room you want. if you want a 2 bedroom place, try to put as early a date as you can. and yes, there is a place to park your car if you live on campus. there is a lot of construction going on right now so it's all a bit of a mess but there is parking for you. if you want to live off campus, briarcrest is within walking distance although it is very pricey. if you have time during second look, take a look in the halls. often times you'll see flyers for cheap rooms (and i mean cheap). if you spend enough time looking, you can find a nice little place off campus for just as much as you'd spend to live on campus (utilities included). rosedale is another complex people live in as is alpine heights. if you have money to spare, hershey heights is expensive but pretty nice. if you're looking to buy, there are many developments popping up around here. the reserve is the one i can think of right now that many students buy into. we might try to pull together a housing pamphlet for second look where current students can advertise open rooms in houses etc.

i don't know if the bookstore will be open for second look but most of the ladies in the bookstore are very nice and i'm sure they'd be happy to talk to you about t-shirts/sweatshirts they have in stock.

the class of 2010 is 153 strong. i don't think your class will be so big. the class before us i think is around 135. you'll probably be somewhere in between.

congrats to all and feel free to let me know if you've got any other questions... :)

hey everyone-

welcome to the newbies who just joined the thread!

as for housing, the on campus apartments aren't too 80's. most of the 2 bedroom apts have been renovated, the 4 bdrm haven't been yet. as someone already stated, the earlier your move in date is, the better your chances are for being put in the room you want. if you want a 2 bedroom place, try to put as early a date as you can. and yes, there is a place to park your car if you live on campus. there is a lot of construction going on right now so it's all a bit of a mess but there is parking for you. if you want to live off campus, briarcrest is within walking distance although it is very pricey. if you have time during second look, take a look in the halls. often times you'll see flyers for cheap rooms (and i mean cheap). if you spend enough time looking, you can find a nice little place off campus for just as much as you'd spend to live on campus (utilities included). rosedale is another complex people live in as is alpine heights. if you have money to spare, hershey heights is expensive but pretty nice. if you're looking to buy, there are many developments popping up around here. the reserve is the one i can think of right now that many students buy into. we might try to pull together a housing pamphlet for second look where current students can advertise open rooms in houses etc.

i don't know if the bookstore will be open for second look but most of the ladies in the bookstore are very nice and i'm sure they'd be happy to talk to you about t-shirts/sweatshirts they have in stock.

the class of 2010 is 153 strong. i don't think your class will be so big. the class before us i think is around 135. you'll probably be somewhere in between.

congrats to all and feel free to let me know if you've got any other questions... :)
Hey thanks for the info... Any reason for why they didn't show the lecture hall/anatomy room during the tour? How are they?

GO DUCKS!!! Great 8!!! QUACK QUACK QUACK!!

Anyone have a clue when we'll receive financial aid offers?

So...I have never joined facebook before...just wondering how it is that you view other peoples profiles?? Is it like MySpace in which you have to ask to be their friend first? Thanks,

Nubs

I'm not sure how MySpace works exactly, but for facebook you can see a small picture of them and it says which "Networks" they are part of, but similar to MySpace apparently, you can't see their profile unless they are your "friend" first.

You can see profiles on MySpace if they have a "public" viewing privacy setting, which the majority of people have. Any interest in a Myspace page? I could start one. I like MySpace.

I am a recovering facebook addict--I deactivated my account, but will join the group as soon as I graduate! :)

hey guys, what types of computers are people planning on buying/bringing next yr?

hey guys, what types of computers are people planning on buying/bringing next yr?

I'm bringing the Toshiba notebook that's gotten me through my four years of undergrad (barely). I'll probably buy another laptop in the summer--not through the school, though.

I'm bringing in my HP DV2000 laptop....its bout 6 months old..no probs ..i think it should hold me over...although now i'm wishing i got a mac