===Penn State Class of 2011===

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not sure if this has been spoken about before, but how easy or difficult is it to become a PA resident during MS1 and then get in-state tuition prices for MS2-MS4? I suppose I would have to get a PA license, transfer my car to a PA insurance and new license plates, but what else?

It came up during our presentation, someone asked if an oos-er can become a PA resident and then pay instate tuition, and the answer was a definite no. Still 43k compared to 31k instate per year is not too big of a gap.

Members don't see this ad.

It came up during our presentation, someone asked if an oos-er can become a PA resident and then pay instate tuition, and the answer was a definite no. Still 43k compared to 31k instate per year is not too big of a gap.

Is this true even if you had prior residency? I was a PA resident for 22 years. Also, my husband will be working in PA if I end up at Penn State so we'll be filing taxes there again... Does that count for anything?? (Maybe I'm just grasping at straws here...)

Anyone have any idea how many OR's there are at Penn St.? Odd question, just trying to get an idea of how big the hospital really is.

Members don't see this ad :)
bump... where are all of the Penn St. College of Medicine '11 people?

Still deciding but I'm about 85% sure I'll be going to PSU.

I just bumped my percentage from 90% to 95%... screw AECOM. The only thing potentially holding me back is NYU waitlist movement.

I'm 65% sure that I will be at PSU. I'm still waiting on SIU's financial aid to come through--if I get a sweet scholarship, it'll be hard for me to turn it down...

Hey everyone...I will be there for sure!!!

I hope everything works out for your guys to attend as well. I completely understand needing to weigh your options though. Good luck to you nonetheless.

When would you all plan on moving to Hershey/the area? Where are you thinking about living?

Also tell about yourself(s).

I just turned 24 about to turn 25, coming from Oregon...my wife who is a couple of years older (28) will be doing a post-doc at Hershey medical and this, along with the fact that I love the school is my primary reason I chose this school over others. I am interested at this point in Primary care but have by no means decided 100%. I am just excited to have the opportunity of training to be a physician!! can you believe it guys...we are going to be physcians!!

Also...coming from Oregon, which is pretty much the microbrew capital of the US, I am worried about adequate beer in Hershey...Is there any good beer out east?

Hope all is well!!

Nubs

Hey man, I have been considering either one of the Apartment complexes nearby, or the on-campus housing(this deal has been sweetened by the recent renovation and proximity of the fitness center).

Similar to you, my girlfriend will be there as well, but beginning her Ph.D. in Cell/Molecular Bio. I'm 21 y/o from NY, about 20 minutes north of NYC, went to a NY Public school. I suppose the typical traditional student...

As far as beer, there is the main Yuengling factory in Pottsville, PA. Something to definitely tour during some free time... Also, Sam Adams factory is in Boston, which isn't exactly close to Penn St., but coming from Oregon it may seem like it is. BTW, if you look at the previous years orientation schedule, I see several nights of bar crawl... I'm reallllly looking forward to that! Also, are you a football fan? I'de love to drive up to main campus and see a game.

Hey everyone...I will be there for sure!!!

I hope everything works out for your guys to attend as well. I completely understand needing to weigh your options though. Good luck to you nonetheless.

When would you all plan on moving to Hershey/the area? Where are you thinking about living?

Also tell about yourself(s).

I just turned 24 about to turn 25, coming from Oregon...my wife who is a couple of years older (28) will be doing a post-doc at Hershey medical and this, along with the fact that I love the school is my primary reason I chose this school over others. I am interested at this point in Primary care but have by no means decided 100%. I am just excited to have the opportunity of training to be a physician!! can you believe it guys...we are going to be physcians!!

Also...coming from Oregon, which is pretty much the microbrew capital of the US, I am worried about adequate beer in Hershey...Is there any good beer out east?

Hope all is well!!

Nubs

Also, are you a football fan? I'de love to drive up to main campus and see a game.

Football fan? Does the pope **** in the woods? That question is like asking me if I like oxygen or sex...YES PLEASE!!

By the way...MARCH madness is about to begin...in my opinion it is the greatest sporting event on earth!!

You know who you are going to pick?

I think this year like last year is going to be one giant busted bracket. Can't wait...will be taking the first day of the tournament off and will be drinking beer!

I have heard that over a billion dollars in productivity is lost on that day by businesess nationwide due to the tournament. God Bless college sports!!

nubs

Football fan? Does the pope **** in the woods? That question is like asking me if I like oxygen or sex...YES PLEASE!!

By the way...MARCH madness is about to begin...in my opinion it is the greatest sporting event on earth!!

You know who you are going to pick?

I think this year like last year is going to be one giant busted bracket. Can't wait...will be taking the first day of the tournament off and will be drinking beer!

I have heard that over a billion dollars in productivity is lost on that day by businesess nationwide due to the tournament. God Bless college sports!!

nubs

Niagra all the way! Just kidding, they just happen to be one of the only teams dancing whom Binghamton (my UG school) beat! In all seriousness, UNC looks amazing... Hans is going to come back with the facemask and all and dominate the paint!

BTW, did you get the massive flood of PSU e-mails about second look?! hahaha, I think they were having some technical difficulties or something. Hope to see a lot of you on April 28!

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so in the rsvp form for second look, they ask us how many people will be at lunch. Also, the letter itself says, we "invite you and your family". Does that mean it's appropriate to bring parents along? I don't want to be the only one sitting there with parents, but I would like for them to see the school and whatnot. What's everyone else doing?

I'm 100% sure I'm going to Penn State! I'm a PA resident, and Penn State is my top choice.

I'm planning on going to second look day and will probably bring someone with me. Since it says family, I might bring my parents or at least a friend. I'm so excited about my school and want to show it off to someone! :)

I'm 100% sure I'm going to Penn State! I'm a PA resident, and Penn State is my top choice.

I'm planning on going to second look day and will probably bring someone with me. Since it says family, I might bring my parents or at least a friend. I'm so excited about my school and want to show it off to someone! :)

Alright Pinkflamingo!! That is great news. I think that I am the only other one on here who is 100% along with you. I can't wait to get out there!! I am still trying to figure out if it is worth it to try and get out there for the second look...it is just sooo expensive!!

Is anyone else certain of their decision to attend Penn St., but just waiting to make sure all of the tuition will AT LEAST be covered by loans? I went on the website and saw that O.O.S. tuition plus living expenses amounts to roughly $57,000. However, when you look under loan information, the max amount of Stafford(sub and unsub) is roughly 40 grand + 1-3 grand from Perkins + 1-3 grand from University loans. That makes 46 grand at most... where else are we going to cover this stuff?

I'm really hesitant to withdraw from my own state schools(NY) because of this situation!

Is anyone else certain of their decision to attend Penn St., but just waiting to make sure all of the tuition will AT LEAST be covered by loans? I went on the website and saw that O.O.S. tuition plus living expenses amounts to roughly $57,000. However, when you look under loan information, the max amount of Stafford(sub and unsub) is roughly 40 grand + 1-3 grand from Perkins + 1-3 grand from University loans. That makes 46 grand at most... where else are we going to cover this stuff?

I'm really hesitant to withdraw from my own state schools(NY) because of this situation!

The remainder I believe will be covered by what they call private loans. These loans are taken from lenders that deal with GradPlus loans, and loans of that such. If you look on the website I believe they have information on these loans that you can click on and find out. They tend to be just slightly higher interest rates then the fixed rate that the Staffords are at. I believe that the stafford total allotted to be taken out has been increased to 40,500 as well.

This is obviously going to be a tough decision for you. I think finances are definitely something you should take into consideration when making your decision though. Good luck!!

Penn State is going to be awesome though...for what it is worth.

Hey NYyanx28, you already know about my situation, but yeah, I'm waiting for the financial aid also.

Hey NYyanx28, you already know about my situation, but yeah, I'm waiting for the financial aid also.

Haha yea... So are you also just waiting on making sure all of the money is covered by loans?

Yeah, especially since I know for sure that my state schools will def be covered by loans....sigh.

I just received my acceptance letter from Penn State!!! I absolutely cannot wait to be part of the class of 2011! im so excited, i loved that school! CONGRATULATIONS to all you guys too... can't wait to meet everyone :)

I just received my acceptance letter from Penn State!!! I absolutely cannot wait to be part of the class of 2011! im so excited, i loved that school! CONGRATULATIONS to all you guys too... can't wait to meet everyone :)

Welcome to the club Jerseygirl. Can't wait to meet you!! And CONGRATULATIONS!! You should be really proud of yourself!!

Hey, can I ask when you interviewed? I know it's too early for me to expect to hear something (I interviewed 2/26), but I'm wondering how long it takes in general. Thanks and Congrats!! I, too, was really impressed by the school.

Hey Doc4God,
I interviewed December 18th. it was quite a long wait to find out a decision. They tell you 8-10 wks at your interview but i waited about 12 wks. (however, the holidays following my interview could have factored into that.) In any case, be patient... and good luck to you!

Congrats jerseygirl04! :)

Hi everyone:)

For current PS students, does the school require that we buy any particular laptop from them? Are there any rules about software or specs that we have to follow? I'm thinking of buying my own but want to make sure that what i decide on meets the requirements.

Also, where can we get a list of required textbooks for the first year?

Hello everyone! I got the thick package on March 10th :D Where is everyone looking for apartments, websites would be useful. Also, have you noticed that only 4500 dollars is given for rent? (that's around 375/month :eek: )

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I got the thick package on March 10th :D I was thinking it was either an acceptance or a really long explanation for why I suck. Where is everyone looking for apartments, websites would be useful. Also, have you noticed that only 4500 dollars is given for rent? (that's around 375/month :eek: )

Yea, it is pretty low for housing, but when you take out $57,000 per year... I tend to not care haha. I believe that will be enough for on-campus housing, for those of us who desire off-campus, there is some paperwork we can fill out for an additional $60 per month for housing/utilities.

As far as housing, I would prefer to live on-campus the first year. I figure I want the experience of meeting other people in my class and also the luxury of just walking to class and not taking the car is amazing. It seems there is a lot of collegiality among the students who live on campus, for my interview all of them were talking about the "beer olympics" that they were holding that night, so it seems really cool.

Excited to see another '11er... congrats on the acceptance and look forward to meeting you in August for Orientation and many nights of bar hopping(that appear to be endorsed by the school)!

Haha, excellent. I remember thinking that I was really impressed with the school on the tour when I happened to see the Starbucks. Not the biggest thing in the world, but just wanted to assure myself that it was Penn St which really blew me away! I'm really excited now. Did anyone get to see the anatomy lab or lecture halls? Any current Penn Staters wanna fill us in with the quality of these mysterious facilities?

My second interviewer bought us coffee and we had our interview in the lounge. It was nice, but a little nerve wracking to give my answers in front of a billion people.

Sorry, I'm a little behind and just now reading through all the posts. Congrats on becoming a dad Nubbey. Cute baby!

Last edited:
Yea, it is pretty low for housing, but when you take out $57,000 per year... I tend to not care haha. I believe that will be enough for on-campus housing, for those of us who desire off-campus, there is some paperwork we can fill out for an additional $60 per month for housing/utilities.

As far as housing, I would prefer to live on-campus the first year. I figure I want the experience of meeting other people in my class and also the luxury of just walking to class and not taking the car is amazing. It seems there is a lot of collegiality among the students who live on campus, for my interview all of them were talking about the "beer olympics" that they were holding that night, so it seems really cool.

Excited to see another '11er... congrats on the acceptance and look forward to meeting you in August for Orientation and many nights of bar hopping(that appear to be endorsed by the school)!

I was just trying to put 2 and 2 together. My calculator was smoking after I added up everything with percentages :laugh: I definitely want to go here though.

If anyone happens to stumble across today's PSU match list, please post. I'de be really interested in seeing where the Class of 2007 is headed.

hey guys. when is the second look weekend for pennstate please? thx.

ps: i'm thinking about a crossover. hate the idea of living in philly plus financially, pennstate is beginning to look really great for me. hmm...

hey guys. when is the second look weekend for pennstate please? thx.

ps: i'm thinking about a crossover. hate the idea of living in philly plus financially, pennstate is beginning to look really great for me. hmm...

Come be a Nittany Lion.

hey all-

congrats to the new acceptances! to answer a couple of your questions, don't worry about finding enough money to cover tuition. everyone in our class was able to take out loans to cover their tuition/expenses etc. as for scholarships, i hate to say it but don't get your hopes up for any help from the school...it most likely won't happen. either way, spend your time worrying about other things! :)

as for computers, you are not required to buy any specific type of computer for classes. they do have a student laptop program but you are also free to buy your own from wherever you choose. if you decide to do this, check the PSUCOM website for specifics regarding system recommendations. i personally recommend you do NOT buy a gateway (they are terrible).

with regards to a book list, just sit tight for a bit. i think we got our book lists for the first block during orientation. i believe you guys will be using gray's for anatomy. the text used this year (Hollinshead textbook of anatomy) has been discontinued and they were searching for a new text for your year. ultimately, people use whatever textbooks they find useful -> not always the assigned text. i got away this year with using most of my old textbooks. another good reason to wait is your big might have books you can borrow which will save you $$.

hope that helps some!

oh, and second look is scheduled for april 28.

oh yeah, with the match list, i don't know specifics, but from what i heard, the class was pretty successful. i'll post as i find out more. :oops:

Who's going to second look weekend? I'm almost 100% sure I'm going to PSU, so I may not go to it.

I am 100% sure im going to penn state, but im still going to second look weekend... it'll be nice to meet some of our potential classmates. Plus, my parents really really want to see the school.

Sorry, I'm a little behind and just now reading through all the posts. Congrats on becoming a dad Nubbey. Cute baby! Her birthday is 2 days after mine =).

Thanks!! And congratulations again. I will not be attending the second look as this will be for sure where I will be attending. It is also a little bit expensive to make it out there for just a weekend. Looking forward to meeting all of you!!

Nubs

I am 100% sure im going to penn state, but im still going to second look weekend... it'll be nice to meet some of our potential classmates. Plus, my parents really really want to see the school.

So someone is bringing their parents. I was thinking about it, since they have been dying to take a look at PSU since I am so high on it. Just didn't want to be the only one with the 'rents.

My parents will also be there.

Does anyone know when they're sending out the actual schedule of events planned for second look? Need to start figuring out travel stuff.

Does anyone know what the maximum amount of loans one can take out for rent/living/personal expenses for penn state??

Does anyone know what the maximum amount of loans one can take out for rent/living/personal expenses for penn state??

unlimited private loans ;). I'm not sure for actual loans...I would suggest calling the financial aid office (717) 531-7052

Anyone have the 07 match list for PSU?

Hey guys!

A week ago today was the best day of my life! I got accepted to Penn State!!!
Reading your posts made me even more excited and sure that I made the right choice. I am 26 and from Oregon as well, although I have been living in New Mexico for the last year, and I am so excited to meet you all!!!

Hey guys!

A week ago today was the best day of my life! I got accepted to Penn State!!!
Reading your posts made me even more excited and sure that I made the right choice. I am 26 and from Oregon as well, although I have been living in New Mexico for the last year, and I am so excited to meet you all!!!

Alright Leslie...fellow Oregonian!!! Congratulations!! Just curious, but where abouts in Oregon are your from? Have a good one,

Nubs

It has been decided . . . Penn State, here I come!!! I've read through the previous posts and it seems like we have a few Westerners. Hello to all! I've lived everywhere, but for the most part I consider myself an Idahoan. Anyone else from the land of potatoes?

It has been decided . . . Penn State, here I come!!! I've read through the previous posts and it seems like we have a few Westerners. Hello to all! I've lived everywhere, but for the most part I consider myself an Idahoan. Anyone else from the land of potatoes?

Welcome and congrats!

Last edited:
Congrats and welcome Leslieanne and Bunsoy5! :)

Hey everyone, I'm from NY... seems that I am the only one from the east. I'm pretty much gearing up for PSU, going to the second look with my parents(they are really eager to take a look at the school, so please no flaming). Hope everyone is as excited about beginning the next four years as I am. Can't wait for Orientation!