===Penn State Class of 2011===

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the information L2T!! I looked at the thread from last year, and it seemed like almost no one recieved any scholarships...I guess I will just expect that, and be happily suprised if something else happens. I was curious as to whether you lived on campus or not? If you don't, do you live nearby? Thanks,

Nubs

Members don't see this ad.

Hey LT2! Good to see you again here, too! It is funny how 11 weeks of anatomy can make one "forget" about SDN. At least now I feel like we have time for laundry. :D

Good luck to you, too!!

FD

getting loans isn't a problem. getting scholarships, on the other hand, is practically impossible (unless you want a military scholarship). :(

the financial aid office (at least from my perspective) is pretty helpful. they have a binder of scholarships and as they receive new ones, they'll let you know about them if you qualify. also, from what it sounds like, after MSI, there are little scholarships available from the alumni association that you can apply for.

hey FD, good to see you around again! good luck friday.

Hi Nubbey,

I know you asked LT, but we've got an exam tomorrow, so I figured I would give you one perspective since i'm logged in for a fleeting moment of study-free sanity.

I live off-campus (bought a house) about 10 minutes from HMC. It's got great advantages for someone with a family-- and you don't need to worry about being left out of classmates' activities. We always invite everyone and whoever shows up, that's great. It's a friendly atmosphere and everything is just a short trip. I know many live in the apartments near campus (like Briarcrest) but that just wasn't for us. Even if you don't want to buy, you can easily rent a really nice house here pretty cheap. Be wary of downtown, though. We almost bought a place there, but now I'm happy that we didn't. It's not quite the rennaissance that downtown living is in larger cities (although they're trying). If you have a spouse and/or kids to worry about, avoid downtown for various reasons that come with the territory (schools, safety, insurance premiums, etc).

One example-- a rancher on one acre (3BR/2BA) was renting for about $800 when we were looking last summer. This means, even if you don't want to take in a roomate or two, it's pretty cheap. If you buy, pay VERY close attention to the taxes. High taxes mean (usually) better schools, like in Hershey (Derry Township) or Middletown, but if you're not worrying about schools, taxes in excess of $4000 per year can really cramp your purchase price budget.

OK, back to the insanity of lipids.
~FD

Thanks for the information L2T!! I looked at the thread from last year, and it seemed like almost no one recieved any scholarships...I guess I will just expect that, and be happily suprised if something else happens. I was curious as to whether you lived on campus or not? If you don't, do you live nearby? Thanks,

Nubs

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!!!

Unfortunately my wife and I...who are expecting a baby in two weeks, are not going to be looking to buy a house. We are probably most interested in Briarcrest right now. We are going to make a trip out there in the spring so she can visit the hospital where she will be doing a post doc, and we can look at some of the apartments in the area. Can't wait to meet you and good luck on the test(s). I just got another offer today from VCU, and am turning it down because I loved PENN STATE!!!

Nubs

hey nubs-

i do not live on campus. i live in a house about 10 minutes from campus. briarcrest is nice and quiet, although i hear heat/cold leaks out of those buildings pretty badly so heating bills are high. other than that, you can walk to campus and quite a few other students live at briarcrest, so you definitely wouldn't be alone.

if you're interested in other places, craigslist is a good place to check and i looked a bit at pennlive.com. pennlive is the website for a bunch of newspapers and they used to have real estate/rentals classifieds. i haven't checked lately so it might have changed.

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anybody knew off-hand whether you use microscopes or digital images for labs like histo... Digital images seem a lot more convenient and efficient, but I don't remember hearing anything about that when I interviewed... Anybody know? Thanks!

For those accepted to PSU this year, did you send thank you notes? Someone just posted on a pre-allo thread that they were told to do so by PSU, but no one said anything to me when I interviewed. I interviewed before the holidays and promptly went on vacation so I didn't send any thank you's. Am I in trouble?

For those accepted to PSU this year, did you send thank you notes? Someone just posted on a pre-allo thread that they were told to do so by PSU, but no one said anything to me when I interviewed. I interviewed before the holidays and promptly went on vacation so I didn't send any thank you's. Am I in trouble?

I did send thank you notes, but I don't think it's critical. Definitely not a make or break kind of thing... When I interviewed at PSU they didn't say anything about sending thank yous... It's an optional thing that might make a good impression, but in all likelihood doesn't really impact the admissions outcome. I've also gotten into schools where I didn't send thank yous (because I forgot my interviewers' names... Whoops...), so I wouldn't stress over it.

Thanks, I'll try to calm down...:scared:

I sent them...but I would probably repeat what Zimmie said. They have probably already filled out your evaluation sheet by the time that the letters arrive anyway. I don't think it would hurt though to send, and refresh their memory before they send you to comittee. Email also works, although i would say that this is probably less personal then a handwritten note. Good luck Melissa and I wish you the best!!

Nubs

I sent thank you e-mails. Only one of my interviewers replied. I don't think they are necessary, but they are nice for the faculty who took time to interview you.

Does anyone know what PSU's average board scores are?

for histo, the lab (which is optional...in other words nobody goes) has microscope slides. however, the lectures have plenty of pictures (in powerpoint format) so it's not so bad. there are also a couple of good atlases (sp?) in the library.

sorry, i don't know so much about average USMLE scores.

and the thank you note thing. i'd be surprised if someone said you had to send thank you notes here. it's a nice gesture but certainly not required for admission!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, the thank you notes thing is not generally mentioned unless you ask someone about it (fellow interviewees, advisors, etc). It's a good way of showing your genuine interest in the school-- rehash that you are grateful to the interviewer who took the time to interview you, remind them of something you discussed in the interview that you particularly liked/were interested in, and make a final case for why your interview clarified or solidified your desire to come to PSU. It's not a big deal if you don't send them, but it's just one more thing to add on the positive side of why you should get the thick envelope. If it's already gone to committee and you didn't send a letter, and are notified you are waitlisted, then send a letter to the Dean making an argument for acceptance (including what you gleaned from the interviews, etc).

As for Histo: we have images in the text and from lecture/lab demo powerpoints to stare at. The majority of the class doesn't go to the lab sessions (where we use microscopes and slides), maybe about 20 or 25 out of the 150 or so students (not counting the grad students who have to go!). I do think that you get a lot more from looking through the slides, since you can see good and bad examples and search through in three dimensions to undertand things more clearly, but you certainly don't need them to pass the exams. One bonus about PSU is that you don't need to buy a microscope. I can't believe some schools still make you do that!:rolleyes:

Does PSU have a scribe service or videotaped/webcast lectures?

Is loan disbursement in August and January pretty standard at Penn State?

Along with Zimmie's question...when in August is the loan disbursement...at the beginning or end?

Thanks!

loans come out (if i remember correctly) towards the end of august and in the middle of january. someone else might be able to give more specifics than i'm able to.

as far as scribe services/videotaped lectures...simply put, no and no. this was a concern for me (i don't like to attend lecture) when i was choosing schools since so many seem to have those services. from what i understand, the class can choose to start a scribe service if they want but they are responsible for setting it all up. i have to admit though, it hasn't been a problem for me so far. the class hours are definitely manageable (ok, for the most part they are...every once in a while we'll have a marathon day) so i am in class most of the time. the profs provide powerpoints and some of them have fantastic lecture notes so you don't have to go to class. you eventually learn what classes you have to attend and which ones you can skip.

hope that helps...

loans come out (if i remember correctly) towards the end of august and in the middle of january. someone else might be able to give more specifics than i'm able to.

as far as scribe services/videotaped lectures...simply put, no and no. this was a concern for me (i don't like to attend lecture) when i was choosing schools since so many seem to have those services. from what i understand, the class can choose to start a scribe service if they want but they are responsible for setting it all up. i have to admit though, it hasn't been a problem for me so far. the class hours are definitely manageable (ok, for the most part they are...every once in a while we'll have a marathon day) so i am in class most of the time. the profs provide powerpoints and some of them have fantastic lecture notes so you don't have to go to class. you eventually learn what classes you have to attend and which ones you can skip.

hope that helps...

Hey, thanks for the info LT2. When I was interviewing, I asked about lectures being video recorded. The student I talked to seemed to think this was something on the horizon... But it sounds like that's not realistically going to happen by next year after all...

Came home to a big fat Penn State envelope today! OOS so I wasn't expecting it. On the tour I was told the daycare center was 24 hrs- does anyone know if that is true?

Thanks! My husband was so glad I wouldn't be going to Drexel or RFCMS he picked me up and spun me around!

Melissa...

Congratulations!!! I am very happy for you and can't wait to meet you!!!

Nubs

Does anybody know if spouses can be covered through a student's health insurance policy?

(I'm all about the money-related questions these days I guess...)

Can any current students tell me...

• What is a typical day like in M1? M2? Since LT2 filled us in that lectures aren't videotaped, I'm partly wondering how many hours students typically spend in class...
  • What is the mix of lecture and PBL? Do you find the PBL sessions to be well-run and helpful? Are the facilitators the same people who run the lectures for that section of a course?
  • In the clinical years, do med students take call?
  • What is the difference between Family & Community medicine and Primary Care Medicine as far as rotations go?
  • What is meant by 'acting internships'? (required in medicine and surgery in M4)
  • How clear is it during clinical years who will be evaulating you and what is expected of you during a rotation?

Anyway, sorry for the barage of questions... It's looking more and more likely that I will be at Hershey next fall. So as I'm getting more excited about that, I'm also starting to realize all the questions I have... Thanks in advance for any info or advice you have!

Melissa...

Congratulations!!! I am very happy for you and can't wait to meet you!!!

Nubs

Thanks Nubs! Maybe our kids can have a play date (my son is 9-mo-old and already likes the ladies)...

Melissa...

Would you honestly consider coming to Penn State out of all of the schools that you have interviewed at? Not that I am discouraging it...Penn state immediately became my top choice out of the schools I interviewed at...including my own state school, but I was just curious.

But yes...if you end up out in Hershey, our babies will definitely need to get together. My wife is being induced in 10 days!!!

Good luck with the process either way!!

Nubs

Can any current students tell me...

• What is a typical day like in M1? M2? Since LT2 filled us in that lectures aren't videotaped, I'm partly wondering how many hours students typically spend in class...
  • What is the mix of lecture and PBL? Do you find the PBL sessions to be well-run and helpful? Are the facilitators the same people who run the lectures for that section of a course?
  • In the clinical years, do med students take call?
  • What is the difference between Family & Community medicine and Primary Care Medicine as far as rotations go?
  • What is meant by 'acting internships'? (required in medicine and surgery in M4)
  • How clear is it during clinical years who will be evaulating you and what is expected of you during a rotation?

Anyway, sorry for the barage of questions... It's looking more and more likely that I will be at Hershey next fall. So as I'm getting more excited about that, I'm also starting to realize all the questions I have... Thanks in advance for any info or advice you have!

ok, so i just typed a 10 page response to your questions and the stupid forum didn't load it when i hit submit reply and i lost it all. i'm too tired to write it all out again. i will if i find time to tomorrow. however, the last part of my message i will re-type. we are starting to plan your second look weekend. is there anything you guys want to see/hear (no promises but i can bring it up at a meeting)?

L2T...

THanks...first of all..is there a general format to the second look weekend..i.e. is it rigidly structured or is it more of a drop in type situation?

Is the date still the weekend of April 28th?

Is any family welcome during this time?

Thanks,

Nubs

Got That Fat Acceptance Packet This Past Thursday...its Official....i'm There:hungover::hungover:

i am 99.99999999 percent sure....i still have to hear from other schools but i loved it there

CONGRATS Bahamadude!!!

That is great news!!!

Nubs

L2T...

THanks...first of all..is there a general format to the second look weekend..i.e. is it rigidly structured or is it more of a drop in type situation?

Is the date still the weekend of April 28th?

Is any family welcome during this time?

Thanks,

Nubs

hey nubs-

there tends to be a structured format for second look. i went last year, let me see what i can remember... it started with a breakfast and welcome by dean Davis. then we had a couple of mini-lectures (one anatomy, one cardiology). there was a presentation by financial aid and the laptop program. (there might have been something else i'm forgetting here) we had lunch where a lot of the student organizations were present, and the afternoon consisted of a mini PBL session for the students and hospital/school tour for the parents/SO's, etc. at some point there was a student panel/q&a session. there was also a housing tour and student fitness center tour as well. so it's pretty structured.

they are still deciding on a date but 4/28 is definitely one of them. and, of course, family is welcome!

last year they also planned a last minute dinner the night before second look. this year i think we're going to plan something a bit more in advance.

did you guys see the anatomy lab when you interviewed? we're trying to figure out if we should take you guys for a tour or not. we'll also try to have the bookstore open.

also, if you can dig up the old penn state c/o 2010 page, you can find the exact schedule of last years second look. it might answer a lot of other questions you guys have too.

best,
lt2

ps. congrats bahamadude, maybe we'll see you next year!

Nubs- Penn is definitely a contender. Right now it blows my other acceptances out of the water. I wish I could find out more about the daycare thing though. Tell your wife good luck. Is this your first? I was scheduled to be induced but my water broke 6 hours before I was to check in at the hospital (what can I say- my baby has good timing). Unfortunately I sill needed Pitocin (not fun). I am so excited for you! :D

LT2- Thank you for all the work you are doing for us. If everyone at Penn is like you they should put in the brochures (i.e. major selling point).

last year they also planned a last minute dinner the night before second look. this year i think we're going to plan something a bit more in advance.

did you guys see the anatomy lab when you interviewed? we're trying to figure out if we should take you guys for a tour or not. we'll also try to have the bookstore open.

I actually didn't get to see any labs/lecture halls/rooms besides the one we sat in for the Powerpoint presentation and lunch, so if the Second Look could offer that, that'd be great!

ok i'm 100% sure.....PS CLASS OF 2011 HERE I COME....ok so i'm a bit excited:D:D:D:D

Congratulations Bahama Dude! :thumbup: :D

Nubs- Penn is definitely a contender. Right now it blows my other acceptances out of the water. I wish I could find out more about the daycare thing though. Tell your wife good luck. Is this your first? I was scheduled to be induced but my water broke 6 hours before I was to check in at the hospital (what can I say- my baby has good timing). Unfortunately I sill needed Pitocin (not fun). I am so excited for you! :D

LT2- Thank you for all the work you are doing for us. If everyone at Penn is like you they should put in the brochures (i.e. major selling point).

Melissa...

Yes it is our first. It is weird to think that this is going to be the last monday of my life not being a dad. Glad to here that you like to run too!! That is great. If you end up out in Hershey with me, we will have to go for a jaunt and bring the little ones.

Also...CONGRATS bahamadude!! That is great. I am glad to hear someone else is for sure in their decision to go to such an awesome school!!

Nubs

PSU 2011!!!! I'm There

Anyone else from NE PA?

I got accepted to Penn St a few weeks ago as an O.O.S.'er. Right now I'm like 70% sure I want to go here over SUNY Upstate(my state school). Excited to see hear from classmates, maybe I'll see everyone come August?

PSU 2011!!!! I'm There

Anyone else from NE PA?

Nope...coming from Oregon...but still nice to meet you!! Will anybody hear being attending the second look weekend?

Congrats Synergy!!

nubs

Thanks Nubs,

I'm at school in Buffalo now, not too far from Hershey, so I'll probably be at the 2nd look day. Does anyone know when it's going to be?

I'll be there...what are the dates?

Congrats bahamadude, NYyanx28, and synergy1593! Did I forget anyone?

Nubs- I am in Oregon right now for an interview. Did you apply to OHSU?

Melissa....

Yes...I interviewed there already. I interviewed there actually the same week I interveiwed at Hershey, and to tell you the truth, I liked Penn State a lot more. Regardless of what I hear from OHSU, I will be turning them down to attend Penn State. A lot of people love the school, but it just didn't appear to be a good fit for me. Students just didn't seem as excited to be there, and the mentality they have for wanting to "move up in rankings" is not something I really care about.

To add to this, my wife who is finishing her Ph.D. in Physiology currently has been offered a great post-doc position at Hershey. It just seems to fit both of us extremely well. OHSU was just not a good fit for us. Good school though, and having been born and raised in Oregon, I can tell you it is one of the cleanest, and most beautiful cities I have been to.

Hope this helps, and by no means do I want to influence your opinion on the school. This process and school selection I have found is a very personal matter.

Nubs.

For bahamadude and others...

The tentative second look weekend is april 28th weekend as of right now. They have not finalized it yet though. Hope this helps, and hope a lot of you can make it out there. I am going to do everything I can to be there!!

I should be there for 2nd look weekend. I look forward to meeting all of you.

I will also be there! :)