***PEDS Official 2023 PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Which programs give preference to experienced dentists?
In my program about 1/3 to a quarter of the residents have experience typically, it really varies by year and by program
Which is your program?How Much experience the residents have in general?

Members don't see this ad.

I am an average applicant but has experience treating kids with nitrous oxide/oxygen.I am confused how many should I apply which give preference.

Depends on how competitive you are as an applicant. I applied to 12 programs, got 10 interview invites. Someone else could apply to 12 and be lucky to get one. It also depends on how competitive the programs are. Are you applying to a bunch of NYU Langone community clinic programs? Or are you applying to programs at famous hospitals/universities?

Big Hoss

What do you think of the NYU Langone programs? Honest opinion

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on how competitive you are as an applicant. I applied to 12 programs, got 10 interview invites. Someone else could apply to 12 and be lucky to get one. It also depends on how competitive the programs are. Are you applying to a bunch of NYU Langone community clinic programs? Or are you applying to programs at famous hospitals/universities?

Big Hoss
When you submitted the application and also all the supplemental that make the applications complete, do all programs reach out to you to say your application is complete? Or do you just wait for an interview even if they don't say if your application is complete?

When you submitted the application and also all the supplemental that make the applications complete, do all programs reach out to you to say your application is complete? Or do you just wait for an interview even if they don't say if your application is complete?
Some confirmed and some didn't.

Big Hoss

Most of them are buried right now. They’re in the middle of graduating one class and onboarding another. Not to mention the fact that many programs are understaffed…

Depending on the info you’re looking for, you might be best off reaching out to the program coordinators, current residents or ask the peanut gallery here. :)
Hi Charlie
Would you like to share which programs you got interview and how many you got accepted.
Thanks

Okay just addressing a few questions without quoting. Cause I’m lazy at the moment.

I suspect/have some reason to believe that lots of programs are valuing experience these days since covid basically nuked the clinical experiences of recent classes.

That being said, I have more clinical experience than most. And my interviews were granted based on my specific reasons for wanting to do Peds, more than my experience. In the end I think it probably hurt with some programs, helped with others, but in the end didn’t much affect the end result.

Your personal statement, agree with Hose. Keep it short. Most people err on making it too long. There’s an old quote from a letter: “My apologies for the length of this letter. I would’ve made it shorter if I’d had the time.”

Venus, I replied to your PM. :)

Hi, should we send to programs to check if our application is complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
I suspect/have some reason to believe that lots of programs are valuing experience these days since covid basically nuked the clinical experiences of recent classes.
My program director straight up told me this back when they were selecting the cohort to start in 2021.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user
Okay just addressing a few questions without quoting. Cause I’m lazy at the moment.

That being said, I have more clinical experience than most. And my interviews were granted based on my specific reasons for wanting to do Peds, more than my experience. In the end I think it probably hurt with some programs, helped with others, but in the end didn’t much affect the end result.

Your personal statement, agree with Hose. Keep it short. Most people err on making it too long. There’s an old quote from a letter: “My apologies for the length of this letter. I would’ve made it shorter if I’d had the time.”

When do u consider a personal statement as long?

Where did you do your residency at?
Did NYU or USC put you up to this?! If I told you where I went, I'd be basically telling you my name...

9c8.jpg

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
When do u consider a personal statement as

Thank you for your input Charlie AF.

When do u consider a personal statement as long?

Hard to put a number on it, but be ruthless when editing. I was an English major and newspaper editor in undergrad. Once trick I learned was to take something you wrote and just force yourself to cut the word count in half. Be concise: eliminate the wordy bits and cut any extraneous ideas. After a couple days go back and read both versions of your writing. Is there anything in the long version you really think NEEDS to be in there? Does the short version suffer because of what you had to cut out? This can help clarify your decision making.

Does that help?

Can you guide me any more programs that give preference to experienced dentists?
How many I should apply?

A lot of them like some experience….a GPR, some community clinic work, etc.

I would advise applying widely, but with purpose. Apply to programs that have some aspect of them that addresses WHY you’re doing peds. If that’s 10, 20, 30 or more, fine. One of the advantages to working for awhile before you apply is that you often have a bit more wiggle room in your budget for applications.

But keep in mind that programs are looking for their own flavor of candidates as well. We can apply to as many programs as we like but they have a limited number of interview slots to offer. You can try to narrow down your list based on which programs mesh up with your situation.

Theoretical example: If you‘ve spent the past 10 years working in a FQHC seeing a lot of kids, and you’re passionate about public health advocacy and care for underserved populations, you‘d be smart to apply to programs that have a heavy emphasis in those areas. Basically, keep in mind your goals for what you want to accomplish during/after residency and look for programs that match with those goals. Because programs are looking for candidates that match with THEIR goals too. No program wants to be stuck with a resident who’s unhappy for 2 years straight because the program doesn’t meet their expectations/needs.

This waiting game is worse than the actual application process :rofl: I don't even care who gets it, but can someone please get an interview already :rofl:

Justin Timberlake Waiting GIF by MOODMAN

Pls share if anyone gets interview calls . Nothing yet.

Hey guys so I did something kinda dumb. I answered passed my INBDE on adea pass but forgot to submit the official report until through ada to adea pass until today. I have my next deadline 9/15 will it get to the program on time? How long does it typically take to process. Also would calling them speed up the process or just annoy them lol

Hey guys so I did something kinda dumb. I answered passed my INBDE on adea pass but forgot to submit the official report until through ada to adea pass until today. I have my next deadline 9/15 will it get to the program on time? How long does it typically take to process. Also would calling them speed up the process or just annoy them lol
It took like 2 days to process and be added to my pass application!

Guys, Boston Children's has asked the official INBDE scores to be 'mailed' to the school. Anyone know how to do that? On the ADA site, you can only send the INBDE scores electronically.

Anyone else get the email from MUSC today?

Congrats! Finally someone with an interview notification! :cool:
Lmao nah bro it was basically a reminder to watch our emails, everything’s so dry though im reaching for anything

• Haha
According to last years thread, University of Alabama is supposed to send out interview invites today (Sept 8). Good luck to everyone who has applied!

Just received a call from case western for an interview OCT 9th and 10th. If you get a call from a random number answer it. She said a lot of people haven’t picked up

Reactions: 3 users
Just received a call from case western for an interview OCT 9th and 10th. If you get a call from a random number answer it. She said a lot of people haven’t picked up

Congrats! They called you for an interview? I thought they would send out an email

Got an email on 9/6 for Hennepin county medical center for an invitation to interview!

According to last years thread, University of Alabama is supposed to send out interview invites today (Sept 8). Good luck to everyone who has applied!
Didn’t they also send out interviews later in october? Thats what i just saw from last year’s thread

Any information about the Children's hospital in ATL that is starting pediatric residency this year?

Can everyone who have got interview invites please post when and how (email or call) they have received the invite? It will be helpful for this years applicants and also next years applicants.

Case western was 9/8 and was call

Received invite on Aug 31 for in person interview at UNLV on October 25, via email. Was pretty surprised to get it because the pass page says their deadline is Sept 15 and I submitted my application only a few days before getting the email.