Pedo 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
University of Buffalo, via-U.S. mail, they sent it with about 8 dates 4 of which are on Saturday

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which site are you interviewing at for Lutheran?

Got a voicemail today for an interview at Eastman (Rochester)!!!! I haven't had a chance to call back yet, so I'm not yet sure of interview dates, but I'll put them up when I find out.

University of Buffalo sent me a letter for an interview too, so those of you who didn't get one last week, don't lose hope ;o). They start interviews as early as Friday October 1st!

LMC (HI site): phoned 9/1, emailed 9/1 for Nov 15, 16 in HI.

I believe LMC is one of the earliest programs and so, one of the first to send out invitations. Reminder emails from USC, Yale, Temple, Brookdale, Miami Children's, so far.

I applied to 25 on PASS, sent in a couple of secondary apps (Brookdale, OHSU, UCLA, a couple more), and ... app fees (booooooo....).

Question for you:
1) Whats a 'good' program? OR time? ortho? hospital? sedation? call schedule?
2) Anybody have any insight of the UCLA-CHAT programs (Venice, SD) are going be like? Worth the extra work you think?

Open discussion is nice, but PM me if you wanna. Hopefully this tread bumps more October when invitations are being sent out.

Good Luck everyone.
DD

DentalDamnIt,
Was Hawaii the only Lutheran Program you applied to?

Thanks!

I'm so happy for all of you who have started posting interviews, but I'm also getting jealous! :)

I believe LMC is one of the earliest programs and so, one of the first to send out invitations. Reminder emails from USC, Yale, Temple, Brookdale, Miami Children's, so far.

I applied to 25 on PASS, sent in a couple of secondary apps (Brookdale, OHSU, UCLA, a couple more), and ... app fees (booooooo....).

Question for you:
2) Anybody have any insight of the UCLA-CHAT programs (Venice, SD) are going be like? Worth the extra work you think?

Open discussion is nice, but PM me if you wanna. Hopefully this tread bumps more October when invitations are being sent out.

Good Luck everyone.
DD

When did Lutheran open a pedo residency in Hawaii? I thought they were only in Alaska, Brooklyn, and Providence.

Question for you:

Good Luck everyone.
DD

Congrats on the interview!
For me, a good program would be sedation and ortho exp. The rest I'm already comfortable with. I don't know anything about UCLA programs, I've applied to SD, why is it extra work?

Do you know why LMC chooses one candidate over the other for each location? They chose me for Mt. Holyoke which im totally stoked because it's one of my top choices and top LMC pick, but I also applied to the rest of their sites.

Members don't see this ad :)
phone call today for Dec 1-2 or 2-3

so far reject ion from buffalo 2 weeks ago, and interview in Anchorage received today. Other emails indicating app received etc needing more info stuff. Still waiting...nervously.

so who have we heard from so far? Buffalo, Rochester, Baylor and LMC?

Has anyone heard from the other Lutheran sites such as Brooklyn & Providence? I was hoping to get an interview there but no word yet. Also do most programs send a "decline" if they aren't going to interview you? I received one from Buffalo but didn't know if this was typical.

I've been kind of worried bc I haven't gotten any interviews yet. I applied to 23 programs. What is considered competitive in the pedo area (rank, gpa, boards)

myself and another applicant have not heard from any LMC sites other than alaska and Hawaii.
Also, does anyone know what LMC pays their pedo residents. Is it the same 40 k salary as the AEGD or is it site dependent?

Just wondering if anyone knows if your alma mater will extend an interview when applying to a dental residency as a courtesy? Thanks in advance.
Anyone?

Last edited:
A couple of different schools so far have said that there will be a dinner with the residents of the program the night before the interview. I'm thinking I'm going to bring my husband to at least a few of my top choice interviews so that he can take a look around the towns and see what he thinks of the area....but would it be inappropriate to take him to a meet & greet dinner? Obviously I'll have him do his own thing for the day of the interview.

I would love some input on this....because I'd feel really silly making him eat alone and then a dozen other people show up with their spouses....

I cant remember if I filled one out. Was there a supplemental application?

Thanks for any help and good luck to everyone!

No lutheran was just on PASS as far as I know

Does anyone know how many applicants Buffalo interviews?

Not sure how many Buffalo interviews, but as of October 1st, they will be almost half through the interview dates. Not sure if this helps.

Phone call from Rochester, they are now booking interviews for the first week in November

Just wondering if anyone knows if your alma mater will extend an interview when applying to a dental residency as a courtesy? Thanks in advance.
Anyone?

I heard NYU does, will find out sometime next month.

I've heard conflicted reports about dental schools giving automatic interviews to alum applying for residencies. I received an interview from my alma mater and don't know if I should be excited or if it's just a courtesy.

Thanks for your input.:thumbup:

myself and another applicant have not heard from any LMC sites other than alaska and Hawaii.
Also, does anyone know what LMC pays their pedo residents. Is it the same 40 k salary as the AEGD or is it site dependent?

Check out AAPD's website, it lists all the residencies and their info, LMC is a little outdated, they have AK, HI, AZ, MA, RI and NY. As far as I know salary is the same.

Temple sent out interview invites via US mail. Have to call for available dates.

Hey Amalgamator,

Did you do an externship at Temple to get the interview? I know in the past they only gave them to those who did externships, and I haven't gotten a chance to get there yet....

Hey Amalgamator,

Did you do an externship at Temple to get the interview? I know in the past they only gave them to those who did externships, and I haven't gotten a chance to get there yet....

Hi Toof Doctor,

No I didn't do an externship there. I don't know too much about the program, would be happy if someone could provide some info in terms of pros and cons. :thumbup:

Oh good, Maybe I have a hope of getting an interview there afterall ;o). We'll see!

In terms of what I've heard, it's that there's a TON of residents, so you're not on call all that often for emergencies, which is a huge plus. There's also a huge patient load, and not much instruction...so you learn mostly by doing. It's not associated with the pre-doctoral pedo at all, which can be good and bad....but it's basically nonstop working. That's just what I've heard though, like I said I didn't get a chance to do an externship there.

Oh good, Maybe I have a hope of getting an interview there afterall ;o). We'll see!

In terms of what I've heard, it's that there's a TON of residents, so you're not on call all that often for emergencies, which is a huge plus. There's also a huge patient load, and not much instruction...so you learn mostly by doing. It's not associated with the pre-doctoral pedo at all, which can be good and bad....but it's basically nonstop working. That's just what I've heard though, like I said I didn't get a chance to do an externship there.

Thanks for the info Toof Doctor. They sent the invite via snail mail, so you'll probably get one soon! :)

LMC (Providence site): phoned 9/24, for interview Oct 25th or 26th in Providence, RI with dinner the night before.

Phone call from Rochester as well...interview dates Nov. 15, 22 and Dec. 6.

Temple sent out interview invites via US mail. Have to call for available dates.

Got one too, will call Monday for the dates =)

Do you guys think it would be inappropiate to call my first choice just to find out when their interview dates are? I would hate to have a schedule conflict:confused:

Do you guys think it would be inappropiate to call my first choice just to find out when their interview dates are? I would hate to have a schedule conflict:confused:

I don't think it's inappropriate at all. If anything, it will show them how interested you are in their program, and possibly think even more highly of you.

I am one of the current UCLA CHAT residents. There is no additional "work" during the residency. Any and all CHAT related projects have time allocated in our daily schedules to complete them.

Program: Buffalo
Date invited: 09/09
Mode of invite: US Mail
Dates offered: 10/1

Program: Lutheran- Holyoke, MA
Date invited: 09/15
Mode of invite: Phone
Dates offered: 11/4

Program: Rochester
Date invited: 09/16
Dates offered: 11/15, 11/22, 12/6

Program: Lutheran- Hawaii
Date invited: 9/18
Dates offered: 11/15, 11/16

Program: Baylor
Date invited: 09/20
Dates offered: 12/1-12/2, 12/2-12/3

Program: Lutheran- Anchorage, AK
Date invited: 09/20
Dates offered: ??????????

Program: Temple
Date invited: 09/24
Mode of invite: US Mail
Dates offered: 11/8, 11/15, 11/22, 11/29, 12/6

Program: Lutheran- Providence, RI
Date invited: 09/24
Dates offered: 10/24-10/25, 10/25-10/26

Program: University of Washington
Date invited: 09/27
Dates offered: 10/18, 11/1. Optional 10/19, 11/2 for Yakima

Program: University of Pittsburgh
Date invited: 09/27
Dates offered: 10/22, 11/19

Program: Lutheran- Brooklyn
Date invited: 09/28
Dates offered: 11/11

Program: San Antonio
Date invited: 09/29
Dates offered: 11/5, 11/12

Lets keep 'em coming!

Last edited:
i did a week-long externship at temple...where is my interview?? :mad:

Maybe they didn't see enough of that "Happy" side? :p

btw, UW announced dates of 10/18 & 11/1, with optional additional days 10/19 & 11/2 for people interested in the Yakima track...

Temple is the first monday of every week in November and first week of December

Univ of PITT october 22nd and nov 19th

thanks sweet toof..i called temple today and they said my application is still under review. i applied in early june..i don't understand why they are still reviewing it.

for those of you who did get temple invites, would you mind sharing your stats- just trying to figure out their system.

Got invitation from Temple on 9/23, called and set up interview for 11/1

Congrats on the interview!
For me, a good program would be sedation and ortho exp. The rest I'm already comfortable with. I don't know anything about UCLA programs, I've applied to SD, why is it extra work?

Do you know why LMC chooses one candidate over the other for each location? They chose me for Mt. Holyoke which im totally stoked because it's one of my top choices and top LMC pick, but I also applied to the rest of their sites.

@civicevolution
-For me too. sedation and ortho would be top two reasons and OR exp.
-I assumed that it would be extra 'work' considering it has a public policy component that the Westwood prog doesn't. however, 'baby molar' says it's not the case.
-I have no clue how LMC chooses candidates. I only applied to the HI prog. I hear that the LMC in Brooklyn is not that great of a prog... But I never trust rumors. rather hear it directly from the residents themselves.
-Congrats on the having a interview. Many of us don't get that. So take it and run!!!!

@DentLev: thanks for the summary!!

DD

That's lame. Temple sent me a secondary with a note for an additional application fee. Did you get one of those? If not or didn't send one back in time, that probably explains it. Can't imagine you not getting an interview after an externship. In fact, I'd give the director/chief a call and ask 'em out right.

DD