Pedo 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cfar83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets discuss our experience about going thru this process.

I REALLY hope we all get into a program.

Take care sdners!
:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am too,the whole process of applying and interviewing is nerve wracking.

Come on! isn't anyone else applying?

I'm like... so nervous about this process...

take care!
(and reply :D)

Members don't see this ad :)
I liquidated my private practice after 11 years. I am also in the process of applying to pedo programs. :xf::xf:Good luck to all...

Better we send our applications early! good luck

I'm applying to 15 programs, and then have 5 on "back-up" that have the later deadlines in case I'm not getting any interviews.

What's everyone else doing?

Hey everyone not want to freak anyone out but I recommend the back up plan. I only got 1 or 2 interviews on my first round (18 applications) but like 5 out of 7 from a 2nd round. Anyway just my two cents

Chevy what was you back up plan?

What the of scores and ec everyone rocking?

I would apply to as many programs as you can afford to. It's never a bad thing to have too many interviews. It took me three application cycles to match. In retrospect I should have applied to many more programs, but I was stubborn and wanted to stay in the tri-state area.

Where did you end up matching, OneLastTime? How are you liking it?

I'm applying the following places, anybody else applying there?
1) Geisinger in Danville, PA
2) St. Christopher's in Philly, PA
3) Temple/ Episcopal in Philly, PA
4) UPenn in Philly, PA
5) Tennessee University
6) Virginia Commonwealth/ MCV
7) Children's National in Washington, DC
8) University of Rochester
9) University of Buffalo
10) Children's in Boston
11) Yale-New Haven
12) University of Washington
13) Children's in Aurora, Colorado
14) Ohio State
15) University of Illinois (Chicago).

Best of luck to all of us!!

I am working on my essay,that is the hardest part!!!!:scared:

I wouldn't worry TOO much about the essay. The director of the program at Penn told me that he knows essays are normally pretty hokey---he gets about 3-5 GOOD ones per application cycle, and they can boost his opinion of the candidate just slightly. But for all of the bad ones out there, he doesn't let that change his opinion of them.

I'm hoping all of the directors are like that, but we'll see ;o).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in New York and loving it so far. It's definitely a huge change from private practice but I'm already doing cases in the OR(not just assisting), busy in clinic and learning a ton. Basically I couldnt be happier. It was definitely worth all the application struggles!

Thanks..:thumbup:
I wouldn't worry TOO much about the essay. The director of the program at Penn told me that he knows essays are normally pretty hokey---he gets about 3-5 GOOD ones per application cycle, and they can boost his opinion of the candidate just slightly. But for all of the bad ones out there, he doesn't let that change his opinion of them.

I'm hoping all of the directors are like that, but we'll see ;o).

hi guys! i'm also applying to pedo. i applied to the 3 programs in Philly, most of the NY programs, and the NJ program. my application has been in since May..when should we expect to hear about interviews? does anyone know??

Lutheran deadline is coming soon,early august

Does anyone know which programs historically accept applicants who are residents of that state? Just wondering so I don't waste my $$ applying to places where I have a slim chance. Thanks.

Amalgamator, I have heard that traditionally the NYC programs like people from NYC, and the North Carolina one likes NC residents. Also, St. Christopher's, in Philly, likes people who have strong ties to Philly and plan on staying there. Not sure about any others though!

I've started the whole process back in December, notifying faculty for letters, contacting programs for information etc...my app has been in since the end of June, completed....I have little chances because of my gpa and part 1 score so im applying to 25 programs and praying! From what I hear it's about who you know...some programs prefer males...single....ugh lol...so I spent lots of time networking at AAPD this year but still who knows what motivates a director to choose one candidate over another...so far I've heard from LSU, Miami Childrens, Temple and Indiana only that my application has been received...Cincinnati has cashed my application fee...and I have a friend that is the residency coordinator at one of the NYC hospitals who said she received my PASS app.
Good luck to everyone!
Lets keep each other updated when interview invites start rolling out...until then..im on edge haha

Where did you end up matching, OneLastTime? How are you liking it?

I'm applying the following places, anybody else applying there?
1) Geisinger in Danville, PA
2) St. Christopher's in Philly, PA
3) Temple/ Episcopal in Philly, PA
4) UPenn in Philly, PA
5) Tennessee University
6) Virginia Commonwealth/ MCV
7) Children's National in Washington, DC
8) University of Rochester
9) University of Buffalo
10) Children's in Boston
11) Yale-New Haven
12) University of Washington
13) Children's in Aurora, Colorado
14) Ohio State
15) University of Illinois (Chicago).

Best of luck to all of us!!

im doing numbers 15, 7, 3 and 1....UIC is actually my top pick!

Would you guys pay the large sums of money for 2-3 years of tuition at a pedo residency? Or are you guys avoiding them and only want stipends/cheap tuition if any?

What have you all heard about Rochester's program?

1) I'm only applying to the programs that pay...I can't bear to take on any more debt after my $295,000 for Penn Dental. :-( :-( :-( :-(

2) I heard Rochester has a really good program, and that the staff there are amazing. But I don't know anything specific about it....just that the residents love it there. Which I guess is pretty important.

I am applying to

1) USC
2) loma linda
3) UNLV

good luck to all !! :)

Hey everyone just wanted to give everyone an update on my program here. We have been informed that our program is being moved from the Dental school to the new children's hospital across the river. So we will becoming more of a hospital based program. They also informed us with this move, our stipend could possibly be raised (not sure how much but a raise is a raise). As of right now we are supposed to be moving in the spring. Anyway, not completely sure when all of this will be finalized but I thought the new applicants would like to know. If I hear anything new I will let all of you know. Feel free to pm if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I'm also trying to get all of my application things in order before the deadlines. Many programs say "go to website for additional details" or must "submit additional processing fee".
Do we submit the fee right after we submit our PASS Application? And also, when I visit the website for "additional information", I don't seem to find any other requirements. Has anyone else?

thanks and GOOD LUCK to everyone applying this round! :luck:

Hey everyone just wanted to give everyone an update on my program here. We have been informed that our program is being moved from the Dental school to the new children's hospital across the river. So we will becoming more of a hospital based program. They also informed us with this move, our stipend could possibly be raised (not sure how much but a raise is a raise). As of right now we are supposed to be moving in the spring. Anyway, not completely sure when all of this will be finalized but I thought the new applicants would like to know. If I hear anything new I will let all of you know. Feel free to pm if you have any questions.

Which program is this?

The program I was talking about was Univ of Minnesota. Sorry about the confusion.

Hello All,

How long does it take for the evaluators at school to send out e forms to PASS? Who is actually your first choice besides the dean:)
Is august too late to send out applications?

thanks, good luck ! :luck:

Does anyone know if MUSC (South Carolina) prefers in-state residents, and is it a competitive program to get into? Thanks.

I've started the whole process back in December, notifying faculty for letters, contacting programs for information etc...my app has been in since the end of June, completed....I have little chances because of my gpa and part 1 score so im applying to 25 programs and praying! From what I hear it's about who you know...some programs prefer males...single....ugh lol...so I spent lots of time networking at AAPD this year but still who knows what motivates a director to choose one candidate over another...so far I've heard from LSU, Miami Childrens, Temple and Indiana only that my application has been received...Cincinnati has cashed my application fee...and I have a friend that is the residency coordinator at one of the NYC hospitals who said she received my PASS app.
Good luck to everyone!
Lets keep each other updated when interview invites start rolling out...until then..im on edge haha

to make a list I've heard from

LSU
Miami Childrens
Temple
Cincinnati Childrens
NYU
Brookdale hospital
Indiana U
Maimonides hosptial
St. Joseph's in RI
Bronx Leb
Montefiore
St. Barnabas
Columbia

just that app received etc, need more info...I'm really hating the wait until October haha

Last edited:
Hello All,

How long does it take for the evaluators at school to send out e forms to PASS? Who is actually your first choice besides the dean:)
Is august too late to send out applications?

thanks, good luck ! :luck:

It took mine an from two weeks up to a month and a half, I didnt ask my faculty, whoever I mentioned to that I was applying and if they volunteered to write the letter I didnt decline! I think any director or pedo faculty would be good

Hi All,

I'm also trying to get all of my application things in order before the deadlines. Many programs say "go to website for additional details" or must "submit additional processing fee".
Do we submit the fee right after we submit our PASS Application? And also, when I visit the website for "additional information", I don't seem to find any other requirements. Has anyone else?

thanks and GOOD LUCK to everyone applying this round! :luck:

Some dont require anything else and others require the world..and I noticed not all informational site correlate...AAPD vs PASS vs their individual websites. blah

Yeah, I noticed the same thing. I ended up emailing or calling each program to find out what additional info they really need. Glad I did...at least one school said they required an app fee on the AAPD, but when I called, they said they no longer require it.

123Dent, what program was that? I just sent supplemental fees to Case, Miami, and UConn....

yes which program is that that no longer has an application fee dent123?

123Dent, what program was that? I just sent supplemental fees to Case, Miami, and UConn....

Hey there Civicevolution!

Thanks for posting!

Hey guys, can anyone shed some light on this----Do dental directors themselves read our statements, look at our CV's, application and short list candidates, or I have also heard that senior residents do that in some programs! and what if we know the seniors at some programs does that work in our favor? or maybe not :-(..

What will make us get that interview call? ...any thoughts anyone...

How many applications do you think good programs receive/ has there been any changes at all in the number of doctors applying to residency cos' of the economy...Job markets are dismal for new grads..

thanks!

lets keep this thread alive!!:)

It took mine an from two weeks up to a month and a half, I didnt ask my faculty, whoever I mentioned to that I was applying and if they volunteered to write the letter I didnt decline! I think any director or pedo faculty would be good

Hey there Civicevolution!

Thanks for posting!

Hey guys, can anyone shed some light on this----Do dental directors themselves read our statements, look at our CV's, application and short list candidates, or I have also heard that senior residents do that in some programs! and what if we know the seniors at some programs does that work in our favor? or maybe not :-(..

What will make us get that interview call? ...any thoughts anyone...

How many applications do you think good programs receive/ has there been any changes at all in the number of doctors applying to residency cos' of the economy...Job markets are dismal for new grads..

thanks!

lets keep this thread alive!!:)

I heard the same thing about you on who reads the apps, some programs have residents, some have a committee, who knows haha I think it comes down on who you know, who wrote your letters, which school you went to...if all else fails its your perfect board score and GPA....programs want someone with a compatible personality, if someone knows someone who can give a recommendation then great! I hear a good program gets around 140-200....I called Brookdale in Brooklyn, NY and they were like "we got 200 applications and blah blah blah" haha

Hi guys! I have applied to 9 places. No word of any interviews yet. Has anyone been offered an interview or know about when we will start to hear?

Hi guys! I have applied to 9 places. No word of any interviews yet. Has anyone been offered an interview or know about when we will start to hear?

I just got an email from St. Barnabas today stating my app is complete and they will send out interview invites the end of sept until oct to interview in nov and dec....I think most programs are like this

yes which program is that that no longer has an application fee dent123?

Sorry, new to this whole post thing. I meant to say it was Baylor. When I called, they said they were trying to update their info, so it might not say they need an application fee anymore. I guess they don't need undergraduate transcripts either. Anyway, I found a few discrepancies from AAPD site and what the programs actually want. That can be a little frustrating.

Hey everyone -

I know how bad I was clenching my teeth last year waiting to hear from places. Here's a general timeline of when I heard from places:

Last week of August: Phone call from Rochester
First week of September: Snail mail letter from Buffalo
Mid-late September: Phone call from Toledo
First-Second week of October: Majority of programs started contacting via phone and e-mail primarily (Children's Hosp of Pittsburgh, UPenn, Lutheran (RI), etc. etc.)
Third week of October: E-mail invite from Univ. of Florida - Naples Site (where I ended up going)

Basically, if things don't change, expect a random invite possibly here and there in September, and then the flood rolls in in October. The majority of my interviews were late October - early December (one as early as late September). Try to get some sleep, and, don't worry, it's normal to check your e-mail and SDN 12 times a day during this process.

P.S. for anyone interested, UF's interview dates will be 11/12 & 11/19 for Gainesville and 12/3 for Naples. Good Luck!

For the PASS question, "Are you licensed to practice dentistry?" do you put yes if you have finished dental school, passed the NBDE boards, and passed the NERB? If so, when it says "Indicate professional license held" what are we supposed to write exactly? Thanks.

For the PASS question, "Are you licensed to practice dentistry?" do you put yes if you have finished dental school, passed the NBDE boards, and passed the NERB? If so, when it says "Indicate professional license held" what are we supposed to write exactly? Thanks.

I put Dentist :confused:

Has anybody got interviews so far???
Please post your invitations as soon as you get them

good luck to everyone!
:D

I received a letter stating interview dates and that if I was selected for interview they would contact me again no later than early October.
Interview dates: November 15th and December 6th.

:luck:Best Wishes:luck: