Pedo 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't get down on yourself. I got one from them too. It seems that U conn is giving most of their interviews to students and not graduates, I'm in private practice and it says that you're a resident. I know of about 6 students with interviews that have so/so board scores. So much for experience helping your app. I don't know what they are looking for. Stay hopeful!

hi ddsdiva... i am a pediatric dentist with 3 year experience and still they say they prefer students with greater practical experience...:)
anyhow... keepin my fingers crossed... good luck.. and hey thanxs...

Members don't see this ad.

UMKC
Invite: e-mail Oct 16th
Interview: Nov 10th

Que:

1. Is it to your advantage to show up for the informal dinner the night before? If you dont go, does it hurt your chances?

2. How many applicants are interviewed each day? I want to know that once I get an interview at a school, what are my chances. Thank you and good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Que:

1. Is it to your advantage to show up for the informal dinner the night before? If you dont go, does it hurt your chances?

2. How many applicants are interviewed each day? I want to know that once I get an interview at a school, what are my chances. Thank you and good luck everyone!

In my opinion - the informa dinner the night before the interview is vital. The residents play a big part of who gets in and a lot of that would be based on their interacitons with the applicants. After all fighting/discordant residents would make a program hard for anyone involved.
I run a large dental program at the moment and this is how I have always intervied applicants and it seems to work very well. Get to know them in an informal setting where questions can be asked "off the record" and then have a formal interview.
as for the number of applicants - I'd say it depends on the program. best to ask one of the pedo residents that.

hi guys...
any international candidate who has got invite for any program????

Nope.. i had applied to UAB.. but i don think dey have strtd givin invites yet

nope.. i applied for aegd in 2 other schools. only one pedo program... missed deadlines! and some i wasn't aware!

I am interviewing on Nov 16th and would like to interview on Nov 2nd. Anyone interested in switching?

If anyone has conflicts with either of these schools, I have dates that we could trade. I have UIC Nov 3rd, but it would make my life a lot less complicated to get the Nov 4th date if someone has it,

and I have IU on Nov 12/13, but Nov 1/2 are the dates I am hoping to trade for.

If changing dates could help someone else out, I would save a lot of $$ I don't have by not having to take so many flights out there.

please?

Old news, but I heard from Colorado this morning by phone. Same dates as listed before: Nov. 15-16 and Dec. 6-7
Also, Primary Children's Hospital in SLC. By email. Date: Nov. 20th

Yet another lul in the interview invites. Seems to me there are some interviews coming up and some that have taken place already.

Do we have any feedback from thaose that have been on iterviews already? Where did you go? What are they asking? What in your opinion seems to be a good fit for this program?

hey guys,

double-header today: phone calls from denver & chicago memorial :thumbup::cool::thumbup:

denver you know already, but chicago is as follows:

11/19-11/20 & 12/3-12/4

thursday night dinner followed by friday day interview.

see you guys there :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
ALABAMA

University of Alabama

ALASKA

Alaska Native Medical Center
Date invited: 9/24, 10/7 held in Brooklyn, NY
Mode of invite: Phone
Dates offered: 10/27

CALIFORNIA

Loma Linda University
University of California, Los Angeles (San Diego Rady Children's Hospital)
University of California, Los Angeles (Venice)
University of California, Los Angeles (Westwood)

University of California, San Francisco
Date invited: 10/15
Mode of invite: E-mail
Dates offered: 11/11-11/12, 11/12-11/13

University of Southern California (USC)
Date invited: 10/16
Dates offered: 11/5, 11/12, 11/19, 12/3, 12/10

CANADA

University of Toronto

COLORADO

Denver Children's Hospital
Date invited: 10/15, 10/19
Dates offered: 11/15-16, 12/6-7

CONNECTICUT

University of Connecticut
Date invited:10/2
Dates offered: 10/30, 11/20, 12/11

Yale-New Haven Hospital

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

Children's National Medical Center
Date invited: 10/13
Dates offered: 11/23, 12/7

Howard University

FLORIDA

Miami Children's Hospital
Date invited: 10/2
Dates offered: ???

Nova Southeastern University

University of Florida - Gainesville
Date invited: 10/13
Dates offered: 11/13, 11/20

University of Florida - Naples

GEORGIA

Medical College of Georgia
Date invited: 9/23

ILLINOIS

Children's Memorial Hospital
Date invited: 10/19
Dates offered: 11/19-20, 12/3-4

University of Illinois at Chicago
Dates offered: 11/2, 11/3-4

INDIANA

Indiana University
Dates offered:11/1-2, 11/12-13

IOWA

University of Iowa
Date invited: 10/8, 10/9
Dates: 11/1-2, 11/15-16

KENTUCKY

University of Kentucky
Interview date: 11/5-6

University of Louisville
Date invited: 10/5
Dates offered: 10/22, 10/23

LOUISIANA

Louisiana State University
Date invited: 10/5
Date offered: 10/20-21, 10/22-23

MARYLAND

University of Maryland

MASSACHUSETTS

Boston University
Dates offered: 11/19

The Children's Hospital - Harvard School of Dental Medicine

Tufts University
Date invited: 10/9
Mode of invite: Snail Mail
Dates offered: 11/2

MICHIGAN

Children's Hospital of Michigan

University of Michigan
Dates offered: 11/2-3, 11/16-17

MINNESOTA

University of Minnesota

MISSISSIPPI

University of Mississippi

MISSOURI

University of Missouri, Kansas City
Date invited: 10/16
Dates offered: 11/10

NEBRASKA

University of Nebraska
Date invited: 10/6
Dates offered: 11/6

NEVADA

University of Nevada, Las Vegas

NEW JERSEY

University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey
Mode of invite: Email
Dates offered: 11/2-3, 11/9-10

NEW YORK

Albert Einstein/Montefiore Medical Center

Bronx-Lebanon Hospital Center
Date invited: 10/8
Dates offered: 11/9, 11/11, 11/16, 12/7, 12/9

Brookdale Hospital Medical Center
Harlem Hospital Center
Interfaith Medical Center
Jacobi Medical Center

Lutheran Medical Center
Date invited: 9/24, 10/7 held in Providence, RI

Maimonides Medical Center
Mount Sinai Hospital and Medical Center
New York Presbyterian – Columbia University Medical Center

New York University
Dates offered: 10/30, 11/2, 11/6

Schneider Children's Hospital (NY)
St. Barnabas Hospital
Staten Island University Hospital
Stony Brook University

University at Buffalo
Date invited: 9/08
Dates offered: 8 dates ???

University of Rochester
Date invited: 8/24
Dates offered: 10/26 through 12/7

NORTH CAROLINA

University of North Carolina

OHIO

Case Western University
Dates offered: 10/19, 11/2, 11/16, 11/23

Cincinnati Children's Hospital
Date invited: 9/16
Dates offered: 11/15-16, 12/6-7

MetroHealth Medical Center

Ohio State University
Date invited: 9/21, 10/5, 10/9
Mode of invite: E-mail, Phone, Snail Mail
Dates offered: 11/1-2, 12/6-7

University of Toledo
Date invited: 9/28
Dates offered: 10/22 & 10/23

OREGON

Oregon Health & Science University

PENNSYLVANIA

Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
Date invited: 10/7
Mode of Invite: E-mail
Interview Dates: 10/19, 11/16, 12/7

St. Christopher's Hospital for Children

Temple University
Dates offered: 11/15-6, 11/22-23

University of Pennsylvania
Dates offered: 11/6

University of Pittsburgh
Dates offered: 11/6, 11/20

PUERTO RICO

University of Puerto Rico

RHODE ISLAND

St. Joseph Hospital for Specialty Care
Date invited: 9/24, 10/7

SOUTH CAROLINA

Medical University of South Carolina

TENNESSEE

University of Tennessee
Date invited: 10/9, 10/15
Dates offered: 10/29-10/30, 11/19-20

TEXAS

Baylor College of Dentistry
Date invited: 9/21
Dates offered: 12/3-4

University of Texas Health Science Center-Houston

University of Texas Health Science Center-San Antonio
Date invited: 9/ 24, 10/2, 10/13
Mode of invite: E-mail, Phone
Dates offered: 11/5-6, 11/12-13

UTAH

Primary Children's Medical Center
Date invited: 10/19
Dates offered: 11/20

VIRGINIA

Virginia Commonwealth University
Date invited: ???
Dates offered: 10/20-21

WASHINGTON

University of Washington

WISCONSIN

Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
Date invited: 9/15

Last edited:
The Rhode Island and Alaska programs are in conjunction with the Lutheran Program you listed. Interview date in Providence is 10/27. Alaska interviews are taking place in Brooklyn, I believe.

I have an interview at Tufts and was wondering what is the interview like in general. Do they ask you clinical questions or is it just general where they try to know you as a person. Any help on this is highly appreciated.
Thank you my friends.

This is old news, and may not apply to many people here, but for U Toronto:
Date Invited: Oct 8/09
Mode of Invite: email
Date offered: 11/10

Hey everyone. Just got an email from UofM. Dates offered 11/21 and 12/5. Most of the time I find out later than anyone else. Good to be the first for once.

University of MS hasn't invited yet, but one of the dates (possibly only date) will be November 30. In house date is November 16.

Does anyone know if Colorado sends rejection letters? I'm bummed I haven't heard from them....

Also, another TN date is 11/13 with dinner on 12th.

with Illinois @ Chicago - there is an 11/2 date with dinner on 1st. also an 11/3 date with dinner on 2nd (and i think 3 and 4 as someone already said) - (had to change my schedule twice so that's how i know)

Cincinnati notified about process and dates by snail mail, but invited by e-mail.

Kentucky @ lexington - i have 29 (dinner) and 30 dates (of october)

those are all the updates i have...

just got an invite from OSU, so they are still reviewing applications.

Just got a Temple invite (mail) and the only date available was Dec 14 which I don't think had been mentioned before.

The dates offered for Children's Memorial Hospital (Chicago) were Nov 20, Dec 4, and Dec 11 for me. When I called this morning, only Dec 11 was available. I took the spot, but was wondering if anyone was wiling to switch out of their Dec 4 for my Dec 11 spot.

Thank you very much~

Program: Michigan
Date offered: Last week by phone
Interview dates:11/2-3 or 11/16-17

Program: USC
Date offered: 16/10 email
Interview dates: 11/5,11/12,11/19,12/3,12/10

Program: Chicago Memorial
Date offered: 10/19
Interview dates: 11/19-11/20 & 12/3-12/4

Program: U Toronto
Date Invited: Oct 8/09 by email
Date offered: 11/10

Program: U of Minnesota
Date offered: 20/10
Interview dates: 11/21 and 12/5.

Programs: University of Washington
Date offered: e-mail Oct 20
Interview dates: Nov 2nd and 9th

Program:University of Florida - Naples
Date offered: E-mail Oct. 20
Interview Date: Dec. 4.

To keep the list shorter, I'm not posting any repeats anymore, everyone will cont. to read all the posts and will see that some schools are still extending interviews. Also every couple of days I'll list all the programs again.

Last edited:
University of Washington
Invite: e-mail Oct 20
Interview dates: Nov 2nd and 9th

University of Florida - Naples - E-mail Oct. 20, Interview Date: Dec. 4.

is anyone aware of a date other than 10/27 to interview for Providence (Lutheran)? Anyone know how many applicants they interview? what kinds of questions will be asked??
-thx

Looking back on how stressful things were for me as a previous applicant, I thought some of you may appreciate this info that was sent to last year's incoming residents (2008-09 cycle) from the ABPD.

"Congratulations from the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry as you begin your advanced training in pediatric dentistry. The next 2 or 3 years will be filled with a lot of work, long hours, exciting opportunities and a growing appreciation of the complex world of the infant, child and adolescent. You were selected from an application pool (MATCH) of 477 dentists into one of the 73 ADA/CODA accredited training programs in pediatric dentistry. Your class of 297 residents surpasses the number of positions offered in oral and maxillofacial surgery, orthodontics and advanced education in general dentistry."

297/477 were accepted (that's roughly a 60/40 split)

"In addition, the mean GPA of your class was 3.37."

No mention of board score mean(s). I guess they aren't as important as they used to be! Don't kid yourselves, you at least have to be decent to get your foot in the door.

Once you have landed your interview(s), your personality and overall fit with the program will be the important things for you to focus on. Most importantly? Just be yourselves.

Best wishes for all of this years applicants! Excepting, "pedosmakebank". That is a terrible screen name. FYI- If you are entering pedo for the wrong reasons... You will hate your life!!

At the very least you screenname choice was either a weak attempt at humor or simply done in poor taste and shows extremely poor judgement on your part. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of your candidacy for a pediatric residency position. On the bright side, at least no one knows your real name...

Looking back on how stressful things were for me as a previous applicant, I thought some of you may appreciate this info that was sent to last year's incoming residents (2008-09 cycle) from the ABPD.

"Congratulations from the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry as you begin your advanced training in pediatric dentistry. The next 2 or 3 years will be filled with a lot of work, long hours, exciting opportunities and a growing appreciation of the complex world of the infant, child and adolescent. You were selected from an application pool (MATCH) of 477 dentists into one of the 73 ADA/CODA accredited training programs in pediatric dentistry. Your class of 297 residents surpasses the number of positions offered in oral and maxillofacial surgery, orthodontics and advanced education in general dentistry."

297/477 were accepted (that's roughly a 60/40 split)

"In addition, the mean GPA of your class was 3.37."

No mention of board score mean(s). I guess they aren't as important as they used to be! Don't kid yourselves, you at least have to be decent to get your foot in the door.

Once you have landed your interview(s), your personality and overall fit with the program will be the important things for you to focus on. Most importantly? Just be yourselves.

Best wishes for all of this years applicants! Excepting, "pedosmakebank". That is a terrible screen name. FYI- If you are entering pedo for the wrong reasons... You will hate your life!!

At the very least you screenname choice was either a weak attempt at humor or simply done in poor taste and shows extremely poor judgement on your part. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of your candidacy for a pediatric residency position. On the bright side, at least no one knows your real name...

I'm a practicing dentist. I work well with kids and like to make money. Sorry if that offends you. :eek:

Wanderer Ed - Thanks for the information it makes me feel a lot better about my upcoming interviews and chances of getting in.

FYI....LSU makes you cut preps...didn't apply there but my classmate informed me of this. I don't know what kind of preps though. Hope this helps someone!

FYI....LSU makes you cut preps...didn't apply there but my classmate informed me of this. I don't know what kind of preps though. Hope this helps someone!
Hmmm that is interesting - someone previously asked about any info on the benchtop - Diva comes to mind but don't hold me to it - I would have to search.

long island jewish...12/4 with dinner the night before, notified via email

I'm a practicing dentist. I work well with kids and like to make money. Sorry if that offends you. :eek:

I have to agree with Wanderer Ed's opinion. It takes more than work well with kids and like to make money to become a pediatric dentist. One can tell apart the streamline of strong candidates to a dreamer wanna be. The strong ones, they just LOVE working with kids no matter what. Once involved in this field you become the child's advocate, it takes more than, working well, to make it.
I don't think no one got offended, the embarrassment of your remarks is what makes it pitiful

UNLV is still reviewing applications. 4 Match spots. 2 Non (post match) spots. Interviews will be in Mid December. Its a tuition program: 30K a year.

....and plea for mercy

I'm interviewing on Nov 15th and 16th and would like to trade with someone interviewing on the 1st and 2nd.

I have to agree with Wanderer Ed's opinion. It takes more than work well with kids and like to make money to become a pediatric dentist. One can tell apart the streamline of strong candidates to a dreamer wanna be. The strong ones, they just LOVE working with kids no matter what. Once involved in this field you become the child's advocate, it takes more than, working well, to make it.
I don't think no one got offended, the embarrassment of your remarks is what makes it pitiful

I don't think "no one got" offended either. :D I like how you infer that I'm not an advocate for children, just classic. :smuggrin:

Also, for you to think that all people who are accepted into programs just "LOVE working with children no matter what" is crazy. There is a reason pedo applications are up. Hmmm... I wonder why?

I'm sure I'll probably see you guys on the interview trail. If not, I'll see you at the next AAPD meeting.

Good luck to everyone applying!! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

I have Dec. 10th slot for USC interview...I was hoping someone would want to exchange theirs with mine (preferably Nov. 12th or 19th slots)!!!! PLEASE!!! I'll give you cookies!

Now I think we all should just settle down a bit and take a deep breath. Let's not be antagonistic. I think pedosmakebank brings up some perplexing but important points. It behooves us to further exam his motives for being a pedo. Are they morally licit? Well as a pediatric dentist of four years with a PHD in philosophy I think some of his actions are in fact morally efficacious. He does seem to have a passion for serving children, in a rudimentary sense, but a passion none the less. I mean let's face it none of us really love :love: the children we serve, but the money has provided incentive for our career choice. In essence we all have a little bit of pedos make bank in us, although mabye not as severe as he/she does but a remnant nonetheless. Kudos to him/her for being successful, but shame on him/her for being so selfish:mad:

Is it just in my head, or does it feel like Pedowhat, Pedosmakebank, Rainbowbaby, and Eliminator are all the same person. They all use the same weird vocab, the same over-use of avatars, always being extra dramatic.

I just picture some awkward 24-year old that thinks the rest of us take this process way too serious and is having fun, hahaha. slightly schizo, but pretty harmless in general.

Is it just in my head, or does it feel like Pedowhat, Pedosmakebank, Rainbowbaby, and Eliminator are all the same person. They all use the same weird vocab, the same over-use of avatars, always being extra dramatic.

I just picture some awkward 24-year old that thinks the rest of us take this process way too serious and is having fun, hahaha. slightly schizo, but pretty harmless in general.

haha... I wish I was 24 again.:D For the record I have no association with any of the other posters. The post above form pedowhat does sound a little suspect though.

I actually wasn't going to post anymore, but you made me almost spit out my coffee with your post. :thumbup:

I honestly never thought I would cause any controversy with my screen name. I'm not here to get into an internet pissing match. I just wanted to see if anyone was sucessful at switching interview dates as I have a few that are overlapping. Atleast one is out of the way... :) Anyways, best of luck to the rest of you as always. :luck:

On a side note, this has been an excellent resource. I appreciate all of your hardwork Huggies!

OH well - this thread went on a little side bar tangent there - water under the bridge EH?

Is it safe to assume that Alabama hasn't made any offers yet or am I the only one on this thread that applied there?

Thanks to Huggies and Fauxpedo we have a pretty comprehensive list of what is going on out there.

If I were in a position to trade I would do so - but alas my pickins are slim and noe of the programs that y'all have conflicts with.

Anyone out there doing Iowa on the 1st/2nd? How about San Antonio on the 13th 14th - you can pm me if you want to.

and don't forget -it was a 60/40 split last year - so is it mostly or partly sunny out there - your call

:(I received neither call nor rejection letter from Uconn. I emailed them and had no reply. Did everybody who were not called up receive rejection letter from them?

Thanks to Huggies and Fauxpedo we have a pretty comprehensive list of what is going on out there.

thanks for the love, but i think Huggies really deserves all the credit, i just cribbled that list one night off of Huggies' hard work and figured i'd toss it up to keep the ball rolling. I think a comprehensive update would be good once a week, any more and it might take precious forum space away from discussions on the morality of practicing a trade in exchange for an income ;)

thanks for the love, but i think Huggies really deserves all the credit, i just cribbed that list one night off of Huggies' hard work and figured i'd toss it up to keep the ball rolling. I think a comprehensive update would be good once a week, any more and it might take precious forum space away from discussions on the morality of practicing a trade in exchange for an income ;)

Last edited:
New date:
Dec 14th interview
invite by email: 10/23/09

I wish I were all those people. I might have a few more interviews.

Now I think we all should just settle down a bit and take a deep breath. Let's not be antagonistic. I think pedosmakebank brings up some perplexing but important points. It behooves us to further exam his motives for being a pedo. Are they morally licit? Well as a pediatric dentist of four years with a PHD in philosophy I think some of his actions are in fact morally efficacious. He does seem to have a passion for serving children, in a rudimentary sense, but a passion none the less. I mean let's face it none of us really love :love: the children we serve, but the money has provided incentive for our career choice. In essence we all have a little bit of pedos make bank in us, although mabye not as severe as he/she does but a remnant nonetheless. Kudos to him/her for being successful, but shame on him/her for being so selfish:mad:

No one, who knows me, would confuse me with Pedowhat. I had to look up four of those words he used......and I still don't understand what he is saying. I even misspelled plea "plee" in the title box of entry #4. This because the Title box doesn't have spell checker.

Tennessee Switch? I would love to go and visit Tennessee, but the dates of 11/20 conflict with other dates. Anyone who is scheduled on 10/30 willing to switch with me for 11/20? Has anyone had success switching here on studentdoctor? It's a long shot, but worth a try.

We have Buffalo listed with just various dates. I received a snaili mail yesterday with Nov 20, Dec 12 and Dec 19th - dinner the nite before.
Anyone been to a Buffalo interview yet? Any insite on the program would be greatly appreciated.

Cute investigative work friend (UWsmiledoctor). Problem is I don't know many 24 year old kids who are balding as bad as I am. Sounds like pedosmakebank may have the same problem. Admittedly, Pedosmakebank's generous use of the icons may have inspired me to do the same but I am not schizo. (at least I hope I'm not, haha). And while I admire pedosmakebank's candor I despise his arrogance (no offense), and am insulted that someone would equate him to me. Rainbowbaby it is okay that you don't understand everything I am saying, sometimes I don't understand myself haha. I think I just do a little too much reading. Rainbowbaby I am sure you will do just fine in your interviews, good luck, let me know the outcome! As for UWsmiledoctor, Let's just say I'm glad you are going into pedo and not CSI. No hard feelings, I'm sure you will be a great dentist.

stupid question, is there a dinner the night before the interview day for temple? when i called to schedule my day only an interview from 8 am to 4 pm was mentioned.