Pedo 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Huggies

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just submitted my first 4 applications and stuffed 20 more envelopes with "supplemental" stuff :soexcited:I have never been more excited.
I'm sure there is many more of you out there "enjoying" this "straight forward" process. :bang:

Members don't see this ad.

I know what you mean, I'm still trying to sort out what each school requires.
My goal is to apply by the end of the month.
What schools are you applying to, I'm trying to limit mine to 20 programs.
I wander when we'll hear anything about interviews?

I'm applying to a lot of the NY and California schools and couple other ones. I might add some more as time goes on, it's so hard to know which schools to apply to. All the programs sound great, and I have to move no matter what. I have a lot of friends and family in those two states, hence the preference.

Members don't see this ad :)
So lots of people are reading, but no one posting, I'm sure lots out there are applying....

Anyways, I sent all my extra stuff last week, and have heard from two schools, asking for undergrad transcripts and official NBDE scores.

How is everybody else doing?

I think I applied to 21 but just received my NBDE scores to send to 4 or 5 programs. So I still got a little more work. I have heard from a few programs that say they will let applicants know about interviews early October. We will see. Really hope I get some interviews.

I am just about ready to send off my PASS app to 20 programs. I keep going over my essay continually tweaking things, I guess I need to just bite the bullet and send it off. Good luck to everyone applying. :luck:

I worked on my essay for 2wks, but wrote it in 2 hrs one night at 1am. The idea just came to me of how I wanted to organize it. Then I spent another 2wks "tweaking" it down from 6000 characters to 5200. I though I was going to shoot myself. Every sentence seemed important, but something had to go.
It helped to have family look over it, b/c they pointed out sections that were too wordy, etc.

Don't sweat too much over it. You will always want to change something about it.

Chevy, I hope I get some interviews too, I just have no idea what my chances are.
I think in a week and a half, we could be hearing something.

I am on the pedo wagon as well. I think there are 3 or 4 or us applying from Creighton. I applied to 13 programs and externed/site visited 3 of them. I didn't have any request official board scores. All wanted photos, some wanted money. Anyone know anything about when they start offering interviews?

Good luck everyone. Hopefully we will be able to meet at some interviews!

Welcome 'gone fishin', last couple of years people heard about interviews in early Sept, but this of course depends on the schools you applied to. Most interviews are unfortunately not given out until October, and as late as November.

Well, after reading my essay about a million times and going over my entire application another million times I finally submitted my app. :D

Hey "Gone Fishin" expect to hear back late September, early October. Good Luck (Enjoy living at the "The Green" while you can, my wife sure does miss Omaha):laugh:

Hey Shuff, I don't know for certain who you are, but thanks for the advice, we love "The Green".

So have any of you folks got your hearts set on any one program?
How many programs has everyone applied to?
Are you applying straight out of school, or doing a residency first.

Hi gone fishin,

I graduated over 5yrs ago. I haven't visited any programs so I'd like to wait for interviews before I set my mind on anything. There is couple of programs that I would like based on location or patient pool that I have worked with so far ie, Seattle since it's close to where I live, Alaska b/c I've worked w/ a lot of aboriginal pt and NY b/c I have friends and family there or Sunny California (no explanation needed there). I'd prefer to go to a smaller program just b/c it would be similar to my work environment now.

How about you?

I got e-mails from 4 programs about my application being complete.

My #1 choice is Nova. My parents live there, and I visited the program last year and really liked the program director. They don't see a lot of pt's/day, 6 on average, but the people who were there really seemed to love what they do, and I'd take that any day over high volume program. I just hope I get an interview there, my grades are ave, and my NBDE is 88. I'm still trying to decide weather I should write the exam again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if you took NBDE in the old format or new format, but from the new format standpoint, I would say that an 88 is a pretty darn good score. It seems to be pretty tough to break into the 90 range nowadays. I am mostly interested in the hospital based programs. I hope to get more clinical experience rather than classroom/research education.

From the look of how many veiws this thread gets, I don't think we are alone in our pedo interests. Hopefully we will get a few more posters and get some good discussion here!

So how much pedo experience do you all have? Applying straight out of school means that mine is pretty limited. I think we have a great pedo program here at Creighton, but I will problably only have completed about 5 SSC/PT, 1 or 2 space maintainers, 8-10 pedo extractions, and about 20 pedo operative cases during regular clinic hours come graduation time. We get a good dose of new patient exam/treatment planning as well as 4 semesters of classroom pedo + a good preclinical lab. I also got to go on a great Dominican Republic trip where we did lots of pedo work (mainly extractions and operative) that was really valuable. This is about all the experience I will have when I start my residency. My externships would probably be better named "observeships", if you know what I mean, however they were still very worthwhile.

How bout the rest of you?

Hey Shuff, I don't know for certain who you are, but thanks for the advice, we love "The Green".

So have any of you folks got your hearts set on any one program?
How many programs has everyone applied to?
Are you applying straight out of school, or doing a residency first.

Mr. Fishin, I am the unlucky soul who didn't match last year from "The Green":(

So to answer the questions you put out there:
1. There are a couple of programs that I still have my heart set on.
2. Ended up applying to 20 (learned my lesson after last year when I only applied to 6 :rolleyes:)
3. I am doing a GPR this year. (I do get to see a LOT of pedo , so a good situation even though I didn't match)

Last edited:
Hey all, I graduated from dental school in 2007, and pedo a couple of months ago.

Apply to as many programs as you can afford, then when you start getting interviews you can be more picky about what programs you want to interview with. DO NOT apply to programs that you wouldn't interview at or places you 100% would not attend, but if you are up in the air about 5 programs, you might as well shell out the extra cash and apply there. Who knows, you might not get as many interviews as you had thought, or you might get a lot and then be able to cut your list down quite a bit.

Good luck to all of you! Private practice is hectic!

Hey all, I graduated from dental school in 2007, and pedo a couple of months ago.

Apply to as many programs as you can afford, then when you start getting interviews you can be more picky about what programs you want to interview with. DO NOT apply to programs that you wouldn't interview at or places you 100% would not attend, but if you are up in the air about 5 programs, you might as well shell out the extra cash and apply there. Who knows, you might not get as many interviews as you had thought, or you might get a lot and then be able to cut your list down quite a bit.

Good luck to all of you! Private practice is hectic!

Hey Gavin, where are you and how is life post residency? How was life on Long Island?

I would add to Gavin's post that for those applicants that could afford some time off of school or even work to attend an externship for a few days also does help, several programs do look more favorably for those that show the extra interest. NOT a must but just an extra boost for the very competitive process. Good luck to all

The NBDE was the new format, but it's still annoying, considering I never got less than 93, when practicing the old exams. I'll see how many interviews I get, if not too many, I'll write it again in December :eek:

Gone fishin, it sounds like your pedo program is really good. I think I placed only couple SSC in dental school, but like Huggies, I've been out for 5yrs and have mostly worked w/ kids. So lots of space maintainers, exo, restorative, ortho appliances, trauma, NO, oral sedation. Most of the kids I work w/ are 3-6, and lots of special needs, so I picked up some good experience in private practice.

I'm going to go gray by the time this whole process is over:laugh:
Can't wait 'till next week, for sure some people will start hearing something.

Pedoshuffle, your GPR experience will definitely help you...plus the fact that you applied to more schools.

Hello!

I am gathering all of the supplemental materials that each program has asked for through the PASS website. Lots of them refer to their website for online applications and other requirements for supplemental materials. Have you all had any trouble with these websites not working and/or not leading to online applications?

In these cases, have you contacted each of the program directors to find out the supplemental materials needed? Or did you go with whatever was on the website and trust that if they wanted anything else it would be listed there?

Thanks for all your help!

Hey Pedo2010

If the information was listed, I sent it to them, if it was difficult to find, I e-mailed the program using the e-mail provided on PASS search engine, and got the supplemental application sent to me or e-mailed. In some instances I didn't get any response and after submitting my PASS application, the programs contacted me w/ all the extra stuff needed.

Now I'm afraid to see an e-mail from a school, b/c it's always asking for money :laugh: This of course will change in couple of weeks, when I will be very excited to see that. Of course the waiting is already killing me...am I the only one? I almost wish I was still in school, I'd be more distracted.

Thanks Huggies for your help! I think we all are in the same boat~ having spent all this time, energy, and money, it is hard having to wait! Thanks again and good luck to you!

Just received a voicemail interview offer from Eastman in Rochester. Tried to call back for interview dates, but no answer. It begins!:cool:

Hey, congrats, you must be so excited...did i apply to that program?...that's what happens when you apply to too many places :laugh:
Absolutely thrilled for you.

Interviews for Rochester are on Mondays beginning Oct. 26 thru Dec. 7th

:eek:
I was hoping for a couple weeks before I began obsessively checking my email, phone and studentdoctor for information about interviews.

Ha, Ha, So much for "you will hear about interviews in late September and October" (I still think this is the case for most programs, but it is nice to know that some places are sending out early invites)

Heard from Rochester this afternoon as well - was definitely shocked to get an invite this early on.....but I'll take it! Any word from other programs for anyone?

Utahdentist2be and Cochino1 when did you guys apply to that program? Just wandering if I'm out, I applied there couple weeks ago.

Utahdentist2be and Cochino1 when did you guys apply to that program? Just wandering if I'm out, I applied there couple weeks ago.

PASS says my app was mailed 8/14/09. I had mailed Rochester my photo and undergrad transcript prior to that.

Does anyone know which NY schools are better than others for pedo? and which are the most competitive and which least? Thank you.

1 more que.: Are there schools that send out supplemental application after they have received everything from PASS?
What if I decide to submit my application close to the deadline to check my chances with other schools of earlier deadlines? I AM SOOO CONFUSED!

Don't worry about supplemental applications, you can access most of them on line, or e-mail programs about them, and they will e-mail or send it to you, so the turn around is pretty quick (some you can even submit on-line).

Most programs list their requirements on PASS "program search" engine. So if there are schools that you're thinking of applying to close to deadline, get the supplemental applications ready, and send them off only if you want to.

It's been only 2wks of waiting but I swear it feels like 2mo. I'm going to go crazy here, and if I don't get any interviews I'm going to be soooo depressed. +pity+

Hey just wondering if anyone else is getting anxious. I swear I wish we could hurry up and get this interview process rolling. I think I check this website five times a day. Don't know how the hell I am suppose to make it to match day. Anyway, good luck to everyone.

It's nice to hear I'm not the only basket case here. I swear I get disappointed 4 times each day, first an noon and afternoon when I check my e-mail, then again when I check my mail box and the final blow comes when I check my answering machine. The worst is when I get msg's from my friends... I mean honestly how dare they leave msgs at a time like this, lol:laugh::laugh:

But on a serious note, somebody should be hearing something anyday now.
Oh, I decided to retake my NBDE... I swear small part of me is happy, b/c at least it keeps my mind preoccupied all day.

pedowannabe and Chevy: I have my application in Endo 2010 and just like you my anxiety levels :scared: are beyond any normal readings. I was "happy" to see I am not the only one checking mails and phone and forums...5 times a day. Just started reading a book "One up on Wall street" to get my mind off Endo. Man now I worried about my 401K :laugh:

Has anyone heard from the Luthern Medical Center programs in NYC, Alaska and RI ?
I believe they are the only programs of which the application deadline has come and gone? Am I right? Any news?

Has anyone heard from the Luthern Medical Center programs in NYC, Alaska and RI ?
I believe they are the only programs of which the application deadline has come and gone? Am I right? Any news?

I know what you mean, their deadline was Aug 15th, you'd think they would be the first ones to offer interviews. I looked over the threads from last couple of years and they didn't give out interviews until end of Sept/Oct, but of course I don't know if their deadline was the same or not...thank god I'm going away for 5days, no doubt I'll be checking my e-mails at the hotel every possible second.

I was in touch with Dr. Kane at Rhode Island, and he said in an e-mail that interviews will be conducted in "October/November some time". He didn't happen to mention when the invites would be extended, however.

I did a week externship in Alaska the first week of December. Anyway, I know they have the earliest deadline but they don't interview any earlier. Last year, they actually had an interview for all three programs in NYC during the first weekend of December. I think they also have additional dates for each individual program that are earlier. At least Alaska started this last year. Sorry for the bad news. Oh well time to check my email again.

I did a week externship in Alaska the first week of December. Anyway, I know they have the earliest deadline but they don't interview any earlier. Last year, they actually had an interview for all three programs in NYC during the first weekend of December. I think they also have additional dates for each individual program that are earlier. At least Alaska started this last year. Sorry for the bad news. Oh well time to check my email again.

I think you are correct Chevy. Search this forum for PEDO 2009 and you should come across most of the interview dates from last year. Good luck.

Just got an interview invite from Buffalo today via snail mail! I've heard great things about the program! Way excited to go check them out! Any good news for anyone else?

Yeah, I too received the interview invite to Buffalo. I'm definitely excited.

that's 2/2 for you guys, that's great! I was hoping to hear from them, I read somewhere on this forum, that they interview around 80 people for their couple of spots... I not sure if it's still the case.

Last edited:
I havn't heard anything yet. Hopefully things will start to pick up within the next couple weeks.

Hey everyone. Congrats on the new interviews. Glad to check the post and just see new responses. Hopefully more are on the way.

Lutheran sent out emails the beginning of October last year. This early on I've heard of Cinn and Baylor notifying for interviews in previous years...

Hi guys, I got an interview at Buffalo today too, I'm so excited.:soexcited:

congrats Huggies=) wish they accept u