PCOM Philly Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To any current PCOM DO students who did the biomed program- do you feel like taking the Biomed program helped prepare you for med school in anyway?

I got done the first year of the Biomed program last month and just got accepted to the DO program. I'm wondering if the material we learned in Biomed is a good representation of the depth of what we'll be learning in the DO program? Like was MBM similar to CMBM, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

Are videos of each lecture online? - I read a post somewhere that mp3's and scribe service are available. Is this still the case?

Do the majority of students attend lecture? (When I was at the interview it looked like the lecture hall was packed on that day)

Last edited:
Are videos of each lecture online? - I read a post somewhere that mp3's and scribe service are available. Is this still the case?

Do the majority of students attend lecture? (When I was at the interview it looked like the lecture hall was packed on that day)

Tegrity records videos for each lecture...well it records the powerpoint slides projected on the computer with corresponding audio. Mp3's are available for free but scribe service is student run so you will have to pay for it. Our class set the price at 225 for the entire year for scribe service.

I think about 80-100, on average, were in attendance at most lectures from my class. I don't really understand why such a large number of students are attending lectures but hey if that's what works for them then great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent idea, but make sure you have time to study. PCOM is an excellent school and you will def get a volunteer position. The research labs are in the same building as class.

where is the "on line status check" to check for information that pcom has received

To any current PCOM DO students who did the biomed program- do you feel like taking the Biomed program helped prepare you for med school in anyway?

I got done the first year of the Biomed program last month and just got accepted to the DO program. I'm wondering if the material we learned in Biomed is a good representation of the depth of what we'll be learning in the DO program? Like was MBM similar to CMBM, etc.?

I just got done with the biomed program too. I think it'll definitely put us ahead of the class in terms of the materials covered as well as the fact that we know what style questions professors ask. But if you want an actual comparison of the biomed classes vs. the DO classes I would ask someone like Johnny about it.

I just got done with the biomed program too. I think it'll definitely put us ahead of the class in terms of the materials covered as well as the fact that we know what style questions professors ask. But if you want an actual comparison of the biomed classes vs. the DO classes I would ask someone like Johnny about it.

Just finished m1 at PCOM...Not having been a Biomed I can say that there's an interesting dynamic between biomeds/non-biomeds, but it will fade as the year goes on. The biomed program WILL make the first two trimesters of first year easier. Biomeds typically have an advantage in SPOM and CMBM. They have recently seen the identical material and are used to different professors, their styles, and their questions...this is half the battle in figuring out how to do well. My advice to non-biomeds: don't worry...you are in the same position as the majority of your class. MY ADVICE TO BIOMEDS: don't be arrogant and act like things are easy and you just do well with minimal effort. This is something that really bothered me early in the year. Overhearing biomeds with NON-BIOMEDS saying how "fair" or "easy" the head&neck practical was or raising your hand to answer questions no one should know...just have some tact. I assume people doing this thought it would impress their peers or profs, but believe me it doesn't. Regardless, things will even out in third term so don't fret.

BTW as a disclaimer I have nothing against the Biomed program. I did a post-bacc program and in retrospect would have done the program at PCOM if I knew more about it. It's a great program and serves its purpose well.

Yes the power points and lectures are recorded (tegrity), along with the mp3. Also the scribe service is $225 for the entire year.

You can also watch the classes live from the library or computer labs.

Attendance depends on the class and professor with some classes more packed than others. You'll figure out what works best for you. During CMBM attending class was a waste of time for me and I did tegrity most of the time. I had to learn things on my own pace. Now that we have more clinical lectures I attend some of those more depending on who is teaching.

Just finished m1 at PCOM...Not having been a Biomed I can say that there's an interesting dynamic between biomeds/non-biomeds, but it will fade as the year goes on. The biomed program WILL make the first two trimesters of first year easier. Biomeds typically have an advantage in SPOM and CMBM. They have recently seen the identical material and are used to different professors, their styles, and their questions...this is half the battle in figuring out how to do well. My advice to non-biomeds: don't worry...you are in the same position as the majority of your class. MY ADVICE TO BIOMEDS: don't be arrogant and act like things are easy and you just do well with minimal effort. This is something that really bothered me early in the year. Overhearing biomeds with NON-BIOMEDS saying how "fair" or "easy" the head&neck practical was or raising your hand to answer questions no one should know...just have some tact. I assume people doing this thought it would impress their peers or profs, but believe me it doesn't. Regardless, things will even out in third term so don't fret.

BTW as a disclaimer I have nothing against the Biomed program. I did a post-bacc program and in retrospect would have done the program at PCOM if I knew more about it. It's a great program and serves its purpose well.

Okay cool, thank you for the feedback; I can see how that would be annoying. I'll be sure to lend a hand instead of rubbing it in. One quick question, what classes is SPOM composed of? (I assume Anatomy's in there, but let me know) Thanks:)

Has anyone had their nucleus books/supplies list link uploaded yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an email the other day from PCOM about the Introduction and Information course on blackboard. Is anyone else missing the link for it when they log into blackboard?

I don't have the Information course link available on Blackboard yet either. Or the booklist on Nucleus. I just called the Registrar and left a message for her. They're probably just overwhelmed with registering everyone right now. If I hear anything, I'll post it.

Does anyone know what the standard Cost of Attendance (the max you can take out in loans) is for a first year DO student? Something around $60,000?

I just got an email the other day from PCOM about the Introduction and Information course on blackboard. Is anyone else missing the link for it when they log into blackboard?
And I haven't seen anything on black board either about this course. I would love to get some more info about everything cause I am pretty bored here. Just can't wait for classes to start lol!

Whoohooo!

Do you guys know when we take pharmacology?

You will begin pharm principles at the start of CMBM in Nov and then really get into specific drugs after the new year (still in CMBM).

The usual books like BRS, Netters and Lipincott are ones you should refer too.

The book list is at this link:
http://www.pcom.edu/Registrar/FALL_2010_TEXTBOOK_7.pdf

The total costs of books is about $775!! As to be expected but I am not sure which ones should I buy. Do people do better if they have all books?

I ain't sure if you guys have received anything like this but I find this very helpful last year before school starts. It's prepared by class of 2012. By the time you guys are done with SPOM in first trimester, you will know that studying class notes is more than sufficient to do well in class.

https://docs.google.com/a/pcom.edu/viewer?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.1&thid=1225b9812da61df4&mt=application/msword&url=https://mail.google.com/a/pcom.edu/?ui%3D2%26ik%3Decb1783860%26view%3Datt%26th%3D1225b9812da61df4%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dattd%26zw&sig=AHIEtbTivp37obIZnk2o_C-ureso6v_xQw

I would like to add one thing to the list. For embryology, the recommended text is "before we are born". Some students find it helpful but I personally regreted buying it. Just study Dr. Kuvist's notes and you will do fine.

I ain't sure if you guys have received anything like this but I find this very helpful last year before school starts. It's prepared by class of 2012. By the time you guys are done with SPOM in first trimester, you will know that studying class notes is more than sufficient to do well in class.

https://docs.google.com/a/pcom.edu/...ttd&zw&sig=AHIEtbTivp37obIZnk2o_C-ureso6v_xQw

I would like to add one thing to the list. For embryology, the recommended text is "before we are born". Some students find it helpful but I personally regreted buying it. Just study Dr. Kuvist's notes and you will do fine.

I definitely agree with not buying the embryology book..I personally didn't use Histo either but I'm sure more people found it to be more helpful than the embryo one

And I haven't seen anything on black board either about this course. I would love to get some more info about everything cause I am pretty bored here. Just can't wait for classes to start lol!

Whoohooo!

The Registrar called me back and said she was mistaken in her email that she sent out to everyone. She said the Information course should be available in Blackboard on Wednesday.

Has anyone received any financial aid award information in paper format in the mail? I know we have access online but I was told we would receive award packets in the mail. Also - has anyone found out that ACTUAL C.O.A this year? I can't find it anywhere on the PCOM website and have not received any information at home about it. It seems like we should have received all this stuff by now considering school starts in a month!

Has anyone received any financial aid award information in paper format in the mail? I know we have access online but I was told we would receive award packets in the mail. Also - has anyone found out that ACTUAL C.O.A this year? I can't find it anywhere on the PCOM website and have not received any information at home about it. It seems like we should have received all this stuff by now considering school starts in a month!

My friend and I both requested for the maximum amount of loans and we're both getting the same amount of aid, so I assume that the cost of attendance is $64,587.

My friend and I both requested for the maximum amount of loans and we're both getting the same amount of aid, so I assume that the cost of attendance is $64,587.

Did that show up on your tuition statement or online?

I am in the same boat...I wish the Financial Aid office would get in gear! Anyone else have better luck?

Did that show up on your tuition statement or online?

It was shown online via nucleus. I don't think PCOM gives out a paper copy of your financial aid. I did the biomed program here last year and I don't recall getting one.

I found it to be very strange that on the "Essential Medical Reference Points to Learn" on Blackboard, the human figure showing bodily reference points/landmarks has his penis blurred out. We are about to embark on an extreme anatomical journey; this is no time to be prudish. (Not only will we be seeing penises, but we will be seeing the inside of penises.) I'm not sure what this says about the person/dept that posted that page on Blackboard, but I almost feel like my intelligence has been insulted. Just wanted to share that randomness. :confused:

I found it to be very strange that on the "Essential Medical Reference Points to Learn" on Blackboard, the human figure showing bodily reference points/landmarks has his penis blurred out. We are about to embark on an extreme anatomical journey; this is no time to be prudish. (Not only will we be seeing penises, but we will be seeing the inside of penises.) I'm not sure what this says about the person/dept that posted that page on Blackboard, but I almost feel like my intelligence has been insulted. Just wanted to share that randomness. :confused:

if youve looked through any of the textbooks yet, you wont find anything blurred out. I understand your point, but I dont think learning the essential reference points require the penis. If it isnt essential, why stare at it?
It also makes studying a photo of a naked man a little bit easier in public places...

What is everyone doing in regards to getting thier textbooks? Are most people buying them now or waiting till orientation week? I was thinking that a lot of second or third years might be looking to sell first years thier old books..is that wrong?

if youve looked through any of the textbooks yet, you wont find anything blurred out. I understand your point, but I dont think learning the essential reference points require the penis. If it isnt essential, why stare at it?
It also makes studying a photo of a naked man a little bit easier in public places...

Of course the penis is not an essential reference point; good point about studying in public.
Just weird that extra effort was taken to blur something out on the human body.

Is PCOM-philly and PCOM-GA the only DO school that doesn't allow for deferral for one year for any sort of justifiable reason?

Is PCOM-philly and PCOM-GA the only DO school that doesn't allow for deferral for one year for any sort of justifiable reason?

There's actually a guy in my Anatomy lab group who was supposed to be in C/O 2013, and took a leave of absence, so they do do it. I don't know his circumstances or anything, but it's not impossible.