PCOM Philly Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willen101383

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didnt see a thread for this so I figured I would start one!!! I think this would be a cool spot for future class of 2014 people to chat! I have lived in philly for 3 years now so feel free to PM me with questions about anything Philly related.

Regarding apartments: if you decide to live in Manayunk DO NOT RENT from the Glen at Shawmont station. I just moved out of there and to make a long story short was hit with $2800 in damages because my dog "damaged the carpets." She peed in maybe 2 spots yet these guys used this as a reason to replace the entire carpet. So really watch out!!! I live in Conshohocken now..just outside of the city limits and couldnt be happier!

So congrats everyone! PCOM 2014!

Members don't see this ad.

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!! I JUST GOT MY ACCEPTANCE LETTER IN THE MAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i've been obsessively checking the mail every day, and i finally found out!!!! congrats to anyone else accepted!! :)

i'm so happy i could cry

YAY congrats!!! I cried a little when I got my letter and I am a guy! haha. So will you be attending here you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks, congrats to you too!!
lol crying is okay when we've worked so hard and finally get to this point. all of the studying, hard work, pre-med classes, MCAT...it's finally worth it!! PCOM is the first acceptance i've had so far. i'm still waiting to hear from other schools, but PCOM is definitely one of my top choices, so it's very possible i'll attend. i'm so excited, i can't even believe it. i'm definitely going to celebrate tonight!

thanks, congrats to you too!!
lol crying is okay when we've worked so hard and finally get to this point. all of the studying, hard work, pre-med classes, MCAT...it's finally worth it!! PCOM is the first acceptance i've had so far. i'm still waiting to hear from other schools, but PCOM is definitely one of my top choices, so it's very possible i'll attend. i'm so excited, i can't even believe it. i'm definitely going to celebrate tonight!

Congrats!! such a great feeling isn't it! i will definitely be attending here :D can't wait. where's everyone from?

i live about 20 minutes outside philly. where are you from runner1?

suppose I should mention that I got in too... looking forward to meeting all of you in the fall.

woo ambler haha. I have been up there plenty....i went to this bar caseys alley once. I live in conshy right now.....and work in havertown.

Members don't see this ad :)
woo ambler haha. I have been up there plenty....i went to this bar caseys alley once. I live in conshy right now.....and work in havertown.

yea i took a class at temple's ambler campus. fun times. anyone hear anything about an accepted students luncheon yet? can't wait to meet everyone

i LOVE kc's alley! great food! i'm actually thinking about waitressing there to save up some money for med school :eek:

I'm from villanova, and went to Drexel for the last few years, so i know the area pretty well... I saw someone post something about not getting their security deposit back... Well I have never gotten a security deposit back from any landlord in west philly, that's why they call them slumlords. Just assume you're not going to get it back, at least without litigation. Still in the process of suing a Dranoff property over the security deposit (those from philly should know these places by the big signs and terribly overpriced apartments). For PCOM, I would live on or around city-line, much cheaper compared to center city (I shelled out over $2500 a month for an apartment in center city), also manayunk is mostly a dump, no offense. Also the surrounding towns like wynnewood, merion, ardmore, bryn mawr, conshy, (pretty much anywhere on the mainline) is much nicer, safer, and for the most part cheaper compared to city prices. However, please note some of the most expensive real estate in the country is in the surrounding area, so i wouldn't plan to buy a house or condo; not that many people rent in these towns, hence why its somewhat cheaper. Plus west philly is a little scary, especially if you're not used to philly (of course not as bad as like say temple in the northeast, but still not the best place to live). And as I said some of manayunk is pretty scary too. Especially the apartments on Ridge pike. This is where the Drexel Med school students live.

Anyways, that's my shpeal about the real estate situation. Congrats to everyone on getting accepted! See you in August... Does anyone know when we are going to get the student packets, and portal id's? I heard we should get them in December, just wondering if anyone knows for sure.

Received my acceptance today! So excited! Definitely will be going here! :D

Congrats everyone!!

Congrats!! such a great feeling isn't it! i will definitely be attending here :D can't wait. where's everyone from?

I'm from Rochester, NY (wayyyy upstate). So happy to be in Philadelphia! Absolutely LOVE the city!

congrats everyone!
PM me if you have and questions a first year can answer!

I'm from villanova, and went to Drexel for the last few years, so i know the area pretty well... I saw someone post something about not getting their security deposit back... Well I have never gotten a security deposit back from any landlord in west philly, that's why they call them slumlords. Just assume you're not going to get it back, at least without litigation. Still in the process of suing a Dranoff property over the security deposit (those from philly should know these places by the big signs and terribly overpriced apartments). For PCOM, I would live on or around city-line, much cheaper compared to center city (I shelled out over $2500 a month for an apartment in center city), also manayunk is mostly a dump, no offense. Also the surrounding towns like wynnewood, merion, ardmore, bryn mawr, conshy, (pretty much anywhere on the mainline) is much nicer, safer, and for the most part cheaper compared to city prices. However, please note some of the most expensive real estate in the country is in the surrounding area, so i wouldn't plan to buy a house or condo; not that many people rent in these towns, hence why its somewhat cheaper. Plus west philly is a little scary, especially if you're not used to philly (of course not as bad as like say temple in the northeast, but still not the best place to live). And as I said some of manayunk is pretty scary too. Especially the apartments on Ridge pike. This is where the Drexel Med school students live.

Anyways, that's my shpeal about the real estate situation. Congrats to everyone on getting accepted! See you in August... Does anyone know when we are going to get the student packets, and portal id's? I heard we should get them in December, just wondering if anyone knows for sure.

I lived in Germantown for 2 years and had the same experience....I am in my 3rd place since I moved to Philly and I am hoping this place will work out better than the last 2 when I moved out......haha Dranoff....yup...wicked overpriced. I looked at the Dranoff property in the yunk a few years back....NUTS.

You think manayunk is dangerous? Oh you grew up in Villanova..that explains it...hehe im just messin with you! I lived in Manayunk for a year and never had issues.....other than parking issues...and drunks rollin around...doin the stuff that drunks do! But if you are a gal...I could understand the aversion to living in Manayunk.

Last edited:
I'm from Rochester, NY (wayyyy upstate). So happy to be in Philadelphia! Absolutely LOVE the city!

Rochester eh? I was born and raised in Albany....then went to a SUNY school for undergrad before moving down here to get my masters! (oh and lived in cuse for a year after college) Go CNY haha

Rochester eh? I was born and raised in Albany....then went to a SUNY school for undergrad before moving down here to get my masters! (oh and lived in cuse for a year after college) Go CNY haha

haha (I'm so excited to get away from the weather though!)

What SUNY?

So does anyone know when we should be expecting our student packets and portal ids?
Also, I was just wondering if anyone was doing anything to prepare for the upcoming year? Reading any specific books or anything like that... I read a quick blurb about "what to do before starting med school" on about.com or something, lol.. and it said just to take it easy... I mean I read articles and stuff, but I'm currently working as an EMT, so i'm not exactly in an academic environment. I'm also not planning on taking any courses in the interim as that would be a waste of hard earned moneys, if you know what i mean. Plus I think I've taken just about every undergrad bio course there is, and a bunch of graduate bio classes as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Hello, I am currently a pre-med very interested in pcom(hoping for interview invite :xf:). I was wondering if I could get some information on the phi sigma gamma osteopathic fraternity. Id be interested in pledging.

Any members care to chime in?

Have you had fun? made good friends? whats it like to be a member?

Anyone find a place to live yet? Also when are we supposed to get our packets in the mail that give us access to Nucleus?

Anyone find a place to live yet?

Not here! I haven't really started looking yet. I think I want to have roommates so i'm contemplating waiting a little while. Nucleus is supposed to help us be able to find others looking for roommates!

Also when are we supposed to get our packets in the mail that give us access to Nucleus?

I spent some time stalking around the PCOM thread from last year, and it seems like people who sent in their deposit by Dec. 15 received their binders in January. Hopefully they will come soon! I'm excited!! :D

Hooray! I just got my acceptance letter today. I am interested in hearing from some Philly natives about where I should look to live. I have two toddlers, so need good schools and safe area. I was thinking probably Montgomery or Delaware counties?? I don't mind a little driving in to school and husband will likely work from home.
We will probably want to rent a house. Does this seem plausible? We would really love a walkable "village" kind of atmosphere with homes and restaurants and shops. (We are moving from a trendy, historic urban neighborhood and really love the city-neighborhood feel)
Near the trains would be great. Someone else suggested Ardmore area. Does anyone have any ideas?

Hooray! I just got my acceptance letter today. I am interested in hearing from some Philly natives about where I should look to live. I have two toddlers, so need good schools and safe area. I was thinking probably Montgomery or Delaware counties?? I don't mind a little driving in to school and husband will likely work from home.
We will probably want to rent a house. Does this seem plausible? We would really love a walkable "village" kind of atmosphere with homes and restaurants and shops. (We are moving from a trendy, historic urban neighborhood and really love the city-neighborhood feel)
Near the trains would be great. Someone else suggested Ardmore area. Does anyone have any ideas?

I've lived in Northeast Philly for 21 years..all my life..and to be honest decent neighborhoods within the city at a decent price are hard to come by. The worst parts of the city are easily west and southwest (penn, drexel) philly followed by north (temple) philly The northeast is huge but isn't nearly as nice as it used to be Ardmore and Bryn Mawr are nice suburbs but a little bit pricey and I'm not sure about renting houses. For college and graduate students, manayunk (not a dump, in my opinion) and roxborough are popular because of the night and proximity to everything and there are tons of landlords, although there are a lot of bars and is usually loud which may be bad for raising a family.
An up and coming neighborhood is northern liberties just north of center city, it still has some bad spots and is under a lot of new renovation.
Chestnut Hill is in the northwest part of the city and is walkable and has a lot of shops and stores. It is one of the much nicer areas of the city but with that comes a steeper price.
Most people live in the apartments on city line, or belmont ave I think (within walking distance). But if you're looking for a place with kids and a decent neighborhood then I would recommend chestnut hill, maybe even bryn mawr, if you can afford it. For people just out of college manayunk is more or less the yuppie section of the city and features the most things to do i guess haha. Like i said anything in west philly or southwest stay away from, there are constantly shootings and robberies.

I like phillies09's suggestions.

My husband and I rent an apartment in Jenkintown after growing up in NE Philly, and I just want to suggest this area (as well as Abington, Glenside, and other areas nearby), it is in Montgomery County close to the city limits.

The public school system here is supposedly excellent. I have heard from numerous people that it is like private school. There are a few blocks of nice little walkable area with nice shops and restaurants. The Jenkintown-Wyncote train station is just a walk down the hill, so you could commute to PCOM or if you drive just shoot down 611/the Boulevard or Washington Lane/Walnut Lane/Lincoln Drive. It is very safe.

There is great shopping a few miles north in the Willow Grove Mall, but there's also some other big stores that are even a little closer (Target, Old Navy, Bed Bath and Beyond and Barnes & Noble to name a few). My only complaint is the absence of a big, cineplex theatre, but you can easily go into the city, up to Neshaminy (NICE theatre) or a little farther into Montco to Plymouth Meeting or the AMC 309.

I like phillies09's suggestions.

My husband and I rent an apartment in Jenkintown after growing up in NE Philly, and I just want to suggest this area (as well as Abington, Glenside, and other areas nearby), it is in Montgomery County close to the city limits.

The public school system here is supposedly excellent. I have heard from numerous people that it is like private school. There are a few blocks of nice little walkable area with nice shops and restaurants. The Jenkintown-Wyncote train station is just a walk down the hill, so you could commute to PCOM or if you drive just shoot down 611/the Boulevard or Washington Lane/Walnut Lane/Lincoln Drive. It is very safe.

There is great shopping a few miles north in the Willow Grove Mall, but there's also some other big stores that are even a little closer (Target, Old Navy, Bed Bath and Beyond and Barnes & Noble to name a few). My only complaint is the absence of a big, cineplex theatre, but you can easily go into the city, up to Neshaminy (NICE theatre) or a little farther into Montco to Plymouth Meeting or the AMC 309.

Haha right, I forgot about the suburbs closet to northeast. You're right, Jenkintown is very very nice with lots of shopping, as well as Abington. Abington has one of the best school districts around and in both places there are regional rails that go all over city, PCOM is a few blocks from overbrook station.

Haha right, I forgot about the suburbs closet to northeast. You're right, Jenkintown is very very nice with lots of shopping, as well as Abington. Abington has one of the best school districts around and in both places there are regional rails that go all over city, PCOM is a few blocks from overbrook station.

Just wanted to point out that PCOM is a little more than a few blocks from the regional rail station. Not a walk I'd want to do everyday (and I walk a lot too) in case you were looking into that.

I live in the city, near Rittenhouse and take the bus to school everyday which I really like. There is the 44, 65, 1, 38 and 40 all near school.

I'm not sure about schools in my area, but as far as rent goes when I was looking we found anywhere from $800-$2000 for a 1 to 2 bedroom. We found a place in the city that includes parking for a decent amount and we couldn't be happier.

Hey guys, just saw that a class of 2014 was started for PCOM!! I wanted to introduce myself and congratulate everyone... I'm extremely excited!! Anyone have any info about close/safe living?? I'd love any advice. Also, anyone else planning on going to the 2014 luncheon coming up in the next couple months?!?!?

~Adam

Thanks so much, Phillie09 and Amehigh, for additional input. I definitely have some more areas to check out. What do you think of Ambler???

Thanks so much, Phillie09 and Amehigh, for additional input. I definitely have some more areas to check out. What do you think of Ambler???

I have driven thru Ambler a few times. It is a VERY cute little town. If you chose to drive to school, 309 is VERY close, and from there you can take the turnpike to 476 to 76 to PCOM.

Just wanted to point out that PCOM is a little more than a few blocks from the regional rail station. Not a walk I'd want to do everyday (and I walk a lot too) in case you were looking into that.

.....what does "more than a few blocks" equal? Just curious. I have been walking just under a mile to and from work for the past several years, so a similar walk would not be a big deal to me. Is "more than a few blocks" 8 blocks or 20?

.....what does "more than a few blocks" equal? Just curious. I have been walking just under a mile to and from work for the past several years, so a similar walk would not be a big deal to me. Is "more than a few blocks" 8 blocks or 20?

I've never actually walked it. I have only driven by the station 2 times and that was during the summer. But as I'm sure you know City Ave is a pretty major street, so it's not like they're city blocks. From what I remember it was about a 5 or so minute drive, so I'm not sure what that would convert to in walking. I do know 1 of my classmates would take it to go to the city to visit friends before she knew about the buses and she would drive to the station.

If you PM me and give me your email address I could probably be a little more specific and help you out more :)

PCOM looks to be closest to the Bala station, which is about .7 miles down City Line from PCOM.

Congrats on getting accepted! I got my acceptance just before Christmas! Nice gift.

BTW - I have two sons a 3 3/4 yo and a 2 yo! I will be feeling your pain. Be careful, don't move too far from the school if you want to see your kids. You will be spending a lot of time at school, early mornings or late evenings or both, at least for the first year.

Maybe there are others in our class wth toddlers/young children that we can set up a child care sharing arrangement? It might be easier on the wallet?

Anyone else coming straight from undergrad?? I saw that several posts talked about children, anyone bringing a spouse along with them to Philly?? I'm getting married this summer, and I was hoping there would be some other girlfriends or wives for my fiance to spend time with while we're all hitting the books

Congrats on getting accepted! I got my acceptance just before Christmas! Nice gift.

BTW - I have two sons a 3 3/4 yo and a 2 yo! I will be feeling your pain. Be careful, don't move too far from the school if you want to see your kids. You will be spending a lot of time at school, early mornings or late evenings or both, at least for the first year.

Maybe there are others in our class wth toddlers/young children that we can set up a child care sharing arrangement? It might be easier on the wallet?

Funny. I have two boys as well......4 and 2 1/2...and I am also in VA ( Richmond) so not very far from you. I have not even begun to explore child care yet. It would certainly be worth looking into. Where are you thinking about living?

Anyone else coming straight from undergrad?? I saw that several posts talked about children, anyone bringing a spouse along with them to Philly?? I'm getting married this summer, and I was hoping there would be some other girlfriends or wives for my fiance to spend time with while we're all hitting the books

I am bringing my spouse, but he is male and we are old! :laugh:
Don't worry though. I'm sure there will be plenty of spouses/significant others around to keep your wife company.

Don't worry though. I'm sure there will be plenty of spouses/significant others around to keep your wife company.

lol, thanks!! I hope so!! Does anyone have any ideas about medical fields they want to go into yet?! I know it's reaaaaaally early and all, but I already have a few interests!!

I am bringing my wife. She just finished her PsyD requirements. She will be working when we move to Philly... My sugar mama.

Funny. I have two boys as well......4 and 2 1/2...and I am also in VA ( Richmond) so not very far from you. I have not even begun to explore child care yet. It would certainly be worth looking into. Where are you thinking about living?

Not sure where we are moving to yet... we were thinking of going up next Tuesday to scope the place out a little bit. I'm going to take a look at some of the areas recommended in previous posts.

Heidiho... do you guys want to meet up? We can come to Richmond, or you can come to our house... we have a lot of room for the kids to play and we have a nanny to watch them while we talk. Just a thought.

lol, thanks!! I hope so!! Does anyone have any ideas about medical fields they want to go into yet?! I know it's reaaaaaally early and all, but I already have a few interests!!

Emergency Medicine, Emergency Peds, Internal Medicine.

peds, med-peds, IM, endocrine
............ would like OB if not for the crazy high malpractice.
Hmmmm.......

osteopathmarine.....I sent you a message on your page

Emergency Medicine, Emergency Peds, Internal Medicine.

That's great OsteopathMarine. I'm also interested in ER Med ... that and gen surgery. I heard that past classes at PCOM have been very helpful with one another (i.e. not cut-throat). I'm hoping our class will be the same...I know I'm willing to share as much notes, help, etc as I can!!

Congrats to all of you who found out you are in the PCOM class of 2014! It's a really exciting time for you right now and you should enjoy it while you can. I am presently a 2nd year (class of 2012 holler) and in response to questions about housing, here are a few things I wish people would have told me. This is just my opinion, so for what it's worth...
-First, live close by, and by that I mean 5 minute drive or within walking distance. I read about these people that drive in from Jenkintown or wherever and you'd be doing yourself a serious disservice living that far away if you are the conventional non-married, no kids kind of student. Manayunk may be the maximum distance away I would live and even with that you have to consider the daily annoyance of traffic crossing the bridge (hello, 8 am classes, exams etc and you will be strapped for time like you probably can't imagine). There are half a dozen decent apartment complexes within a few blocks of PCOM so make the trip sometime and just take a day to check them out. Also, check out craigslist. I found my present apartment on there.
-Parking. If you fill out a form in the Bursar's office early enough you might be able to get garage parking. Monument lot parking is fine too though, just a chilly walk up the hill in the morning. FYI for all you monument lot people: garage parking is free after 5pm for all students. They don't publicize that information, so you're welcome. BE SURE wherever you reside that parking is available at any and all times. I had a friend who lived at a place with "street parking" but she couldn't park there til after 2 or something messed up like that. It was super aggravating, so avoid situations like that. You'll have enough to worry about.

I could go on, but this is long enough. If anyone has any more specific questions I can try to answer them. Again, congrats to all of you!

neurology... i saw in last year's match list that quite a few pcom students got into neurology residencies.. also I'm coming straight from undergrad! (well not really, took off a year to work)