PCOM Philly Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^^ Same here. You just fill out a form on some website and it takes like 10 minutes max maybe.

Members don't see this ad.

does anybody know how much in the grad plus loans we can take out? I called financial aid and they told me its usually around 16,000... this just seemed really low and hard to live off of... anywhere else we can get loans from?

Imperial (have a friend there, nice) - $1000ish
Lincoln Green (really nice from their website) - $850-$1200
Green Briar (reviews online said NO!) - maybe $700?
Belmont Apts - know nothing about them
Beekman (Next to Belmont) - $900-$1000
Iriquois (Heard good things but exterior is ugly) - $800?
Presidential (Nice depending on which building) - $750-$900

Also check out Mansions at Bala - it's brand new only ~ 150 yds from school. Still being built, but some units are available. It's a little pricier than the others listed, but if you want luxury it's the place to go. And, you really can walk to class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't think I did my B-ground check until closer to summer.
I don't know if you are a PA resident, but if you are: did you use the PA state police background check, or does PCOM use the certiphi applicant screening service? Thanks

Anyone able to change their password on nucleus yet? I still don't see a "my account" button.

Hey guys! Congrats to all of you! I am also going to PCOM! I'm excited but was wondering if you all filled out your fafsas and stuff. Does that stuff come with the binder?

Hey guys! Congrats to all of you! I am also going to PCOM! I'm excited but was wondering if you all filled out your fafsas and stuff. Does that stuff come with the binder?

Nope, doesn't come with the binder. I got a second envelope this past week saying the forms for financial aid would be available on Nucleus in early March.

I just got my acceptance letter! I'm looking forward to meeting y'all soon. I'm coming straight from undergrad and will be bringing my husband along!

I just got my acceptance letter! I'm looking forward to meeting y'all soon. I'm coming straight from undergrad and will be bringing my husband along!

Congratulations! Now the waiting begins! Still five months to go.

I've looked at all of the options of apartments on cityline:
I would be careful about the Presidential and Lincoln Green, they're a little gross inside; especially the presidential.
The Iroquois is kind of old, as is the Belmont, anyways for the money it would be a bad decision not to entertain the idea of living in the mainline. The apartments are for the most part nicer, and they are cheaper. The Sevilla is very nice, as is the mansion at Bala (this is actually on cityline). However, the mansion at bala is expensive, they quoted me $2800 for a 3 bedroom. I'm still thinking about it. The sevilla is in my opinion just as nice, but only $1800 for a 3 br (the sevilla is directly across the street from the mansion at bala). Also there's a bunch of other places i've looked at in the area (since I live in the area and work at the JCC on cityline, down the street). I have a pretty comprehensive list because i've been looking into it for a few months, if anyone needs help finding a place my email is [email protected] Also the corinthian condos are incredibly nice as well! But those are a bit out of all our price ranges.

Congrats to all you guys for your acceptance! I'm a 4th year and love this school! You guys can message me if you have any pressing questions. I'll be down right honest with you.

Congrats to all you guys for your acceptance! I'm a 4th year and love this school! You guys can message me if you have any pressing questions. I'll be down right honest with you.

Seriously, what do you think of Tina??

:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you all think of Fairview Place? It's close to school and an alright price at 785 for a jr. one bed room. Anyone live there? Love to hear opinions. Anyone know if it comes furnished?

hey everyone, for those who have paid their 2k deposit (due by April 15), did you pay via check or credit card? Thank you, and congrats to everyone who has been accepted!

Hey!! FINALLY GOT AN INTERVIEW!! March 4, 9am. Anyone else goning to be there that day? For those who already went, any hints or warnings? Congrats to all those who already got accepted, hopefully see you in august!

I was also at the march 4th interview, Yuliya... dark hair, pretty tall, talk ALOT, from philadelphia, where are you from?? did you hear anything back yet??

Sean, the one from NY who currently lives in Pittsburgh. Havnt heard anything yet, but checking the mail daily! you?!!

I was also at the march 4th interview, Yuliya... dark hair, pretty tall, talk ALOT, from philadelphia, where are you from?? did you hear anything back yet??
Hey! I was also in the March 4th interview. I received a letter today saying that they are delaying a decision until no later than April 26th. Gosh... I was so nervous to open a thin envelope. This news is much better than the other possibility :) Good luck!! Let me know what you hear back.

Nobody has really brought up manayunk as a living option. I don't know about everyone else, but even the buildings within walking distance at $700-800/month are steep for me, despite their proximity. After a bit of craigslist searching, there seems to be a large variety of options in manayunk in the $400-500 price range. Any current students care to weigh in? I realize this would necessitate having a car and dealing with occasional traffic....

Thing about manayunk is their parking situation is pretty bad. If you can deal with having to frequently park a block or so away from your place and walking the rest of the way, then no problem.

Another issue with manayunk is winter. Manayunk is very hilly so if there is a bad snow storm, like we had one or two this year, it's not very fun to try and get out of there.

OF COURSE, all of that is irrelevant if you don't go to classes and therefore are only required to be at school once a week for OMM (sometimes twice for PCS). I should make a disclaimer that during your first trimester, you WILL be at school 3-4 days a week because of anatomy lab (which is mandatory). Though first trimester only lasts until end of October.

If that is the case, then you can live anywhere in Philly and be fine.

I personally plan on living in center city somewhere next year since I don't go to classes.

Nobody has really brought up manayunk as a living option. I don't know about everyone else, but even the buildings within walking distance at $700-800/month are steep for me, despite their proximity. After a bit of craigslist searching, there seems to be a large variety of options in manayunk in the $400-500 price range. Any current students care to weigh in? I realize this would necessitate having a car and dealing with occasional traffic....

I wouldn't worry about not living super close to school. I live in center city and I love it and wouldn't want to live anywhere else even though it takes about 20 or so minutes to get to school.

I can't really comment on Manayunk too much. I think I've heard parking can sometimes be a problem and make sure you go to look at the place you want to live because some of the houses can be run down. Other than that, if you find a place you like in Manayunk I would say go for it.

After 1st trimester you don't have to be on campus very much if you prefer to go over lectures on your own like many of us do.

Does anyone have the telephone number for beekman place apartments that are close to school? thanks a lot. I heard its pretty good and fairly close to school

there seems to be a large variety of options in manayunk in the $400-500 price range.

They'd probably be pits at that price, and parking over there is awful. But, I know many people that live over there for the social scene. You should expect to pay more than that though, many times you have to google map the places because people will stretch the trendy 'manayunk' label.

Most people I know pay in around $700/month for rent which was too high for me, and that's not including the cost of using a car. IMHO Manayunk was also not a desirable place as it's very 'yuppie': it is not at all representative of the philly i know and love. But, if you want to live next to dozens of bars, gyms and designer clothes shops, it is the place to be!

Any current students care to weigh in? I realize this would necessitate having a car and dealing with occasional traffic....

I have a house in wynnefield heights, it's within walking distance to school, and is a very cheap/quite place to live. Most people don't talk about it as it's a residential area. Plenty of people around me also rent rooms for around $300-500

A lot of my peers don't go to school, and that's fine, it works for many people, but I need to go as I'm not very self-motivated. Hopefully if you've made it this far you know which category you fall into. Living close to school is great for me: we have class in 7 min, I'll walk over in 2 and still make it in time. That's what I call a good commute :thumbup:

what will everyone be wearing to the accepted students luncheon on the 11th?

Awesome! You can find me on the facebook group with a profile picture of a yellow lab. She passed recently. :(

I'm sorry to hear that :( and I think I know who you are!! I'm female....and my last name is in my ID..so it's pretty easy to find me :). Anyway...talked to a couple students who are PCOMers. I guess the brunch is pretty casual. Some students were business casual...some wore jeans. They said def. don't wear anything suit-like...i'm most likely going to wear jeans.

So, I'm thinking that we should all meet up on the 11th. Just sayin'. :)

Will everyone be in attendance?

Hey elftown, I will definitely be there ... love to meet up with whoever. I think knowing people going into med school will help out alot!! (Also, sorry to hear about your dog ... I'm a dog person and know how tough that can be).

Anyone look outside of the city, towards KOP or Valley Forge?? My fiance and I found a really nice apartment complex called The Lofts at Valley Forge that we just put a deposit on. I personally do not mind a commute (only 16.5 miles from PCOM). After looking at the apartments on City Line, I just got depressed. There wasn't anything that I felt was worth the money. Plus I'm not a huge city guy, so living outside of the craziness and traffic on City Line is a good choice for me!! If anyone is looking for housing, don't limit yourself to the places right around the school!!

Excited for Sunday Brunch!!

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone! I already just posted this on the D.O. Class group's wall on facebook, but I am currently a college senior looking for 1-2 female roommates to live with close to campus (within walking distance of PCOM or near City Ave.)...I've started looking at Lincoln Green, Wynnefield Heights, Beekman, and Presidential...if there are any girls who are interested, let me know or e-mail me at [email protected] I will also be at the accepted students brunch on Sunday too.! :)

Anyway...talked to a couple students who are PCOMers. I guess the brunch is pretty casual. Some students were business casual...some wore jeans. They said def. don't wear anything suit-like...i'm most likely going to wear jeans.

Thanks for that! I was just coming on here to see if anyone knew what the dress code was........ I am trying to pack a suitcase for the weekend.

I'm totally confused regarding the financial aid application of pcom. So do I take out the max loans 40,500. Is tuition a separate loan or do the subsiz/and unsubsiz stafford cover tuition. So take out as much as I can so it covers tuition? Sigh. Can anyone clarify or know what to do? Thanks guys

I'm totally confused regarding the financial aid application of pcom. So do I take out the max loans 40,500. Is tuition a separate loan or do the subsiz/and unsubsiz stafford cover tuition. So take out as much as I can so it covers tuition? Sigh. Can anyone clarify or know what to do? Thanks guys

Assuming you need to take out money for tuition and living expenses you need to determine how much your living expenses will be and add that to the tuition costs for this year and that's the total that you need to take out.

So lets say you need 40,000 for tuition, plus 10,000 for living expenses, you'll take out a total of 50,000 in student loans.

You will probably need subsidized, unsubsidized and PLUS loans depending on how much you take out.

If you need to take out money for everything (school, room and board, etc. -which I am doing), you take out the make $40,500 to cover tuition and school stuff and then after you calculate your own living budget, you take out the rest using Grad PLUS loans. I met with financial aid last week and that is pretty much what she told me. However if you have any money saved up or get scholarships you can take out less. Hope that helps!

One interesting thing to note that I've noticed with several classmates and myself is work-study money. The new fiscal year starts July 1. If you get an on-campus job during the summer you more than likely will be paid workstudy. If you take out the full cost of attendance using loans and scholarships, you will not be eligible for workstudy until the new fiscal year. For us, that means volunteer (work for free) for almost a month or live off loans. Everyone has a little extra money lying around, so if you plan to work during the summer perhaps leave out $1000 or $2000 from your loans so you can work for money instead of free. It works out regardless because you're living off the loan money or workstudy...you just don't have to pay workstudy back.

What bank is common in Philadelphia? I'm thinking of opening up a bank account close to school but wanted to know what are some banks/atms close to school . Thanks guys

PNC, BoA, and Citizens. There is a Citizens in the Acme on City Ave or down from there is an actual office. I believe BoA is across from Presidential City apts. PNC is in the Target shopping center as a standalone.

Sovereign Bank is next to Acme too.

Does anyone know how the Federal Direct loan works? Our tentative aid package shows in nucleus for all of our federal sub/unsubsidized loans but what do we have to do to get our direct loans rolling?

Congrats to everyone!! Very excited to meet you all! I am also entering the class of 2014 and, for what its worth, am a philly native. I am from the suburbs, but currently live in the city(East Falls). If anyone has any questions about different areas or locations in the city feel free to message me.

Congrats again!:laugh:

Does anyone know anything about the CCDA (Center for Chronic Disorders of Aging)? Is it easy for PCOM students to get a research position there during summer/winter break?

I'm not really into the research thing, so I don't know specifically, but I know some of my friends have talked to different professors throughout the year to ask about doing research with them. One of our professors mentions pretty often that he's doing research with Alzheimer's (I think with the CCDA). I know there are students doing research this summer. I would think it would be up to you to initiate talking to a professor and letting them know you're interested in finding out what they're researching. Most professors are very friendly and helpful.

I'm not really into the research thing, so I don't know specifically, but I know some of my friends have talked to different professors throughout the year to ask about doing research with them. One of our professors mentions pretty often that he's doing research with Alzheimer's (I think with the CCDA). I know there are students doing research this summer. I would think it would be up to you to initiate talking to a professor and letting them know you're interested in finding out what they're researching. Most professors are very friendly and helpful.

Okay, thanks a lot for your answer.

Yeah, Dr. Balin is the head of CCDA and he will give you few lectures throughout the year (starting in CMBM). Dr. Young (pharm prof) is also involved with CCDA, if I'm not mistaken. Like AME said, they're all nice and friendly so you won't have problem finding a research gig.

I followed PCOM's financial aid website when applying for financial aid, but I am not sure I completed it right. I did the entrance counseling for Stafford/Plus loans but I never picked an amount for Grad plus loans... do I need to go to another website to do that? Does anyone know the maximum amount we can apply for? I heard about studentloans.gov, is this different from the entrance counseling I did on the other website. I'm pretty confused but when I call the financial aid office they just tell me to be patient, but I just don't want to have missed something and then not get the financial aid I need... any help would be very much appreciated! Happy Memorial Day everyone! Excited to meet you all in August :)

If the office tell you to be patient, then be patient. The Fin Aid office is pretty top on their stuff and they will let you know if you had missed any deadlines.

I personally didn't take out any grad plus this past year, but I was told by my classmates that the maximum amount was 20K.

forgive me if this is a dumb question, but as a male do i have to turn in any of the title IX forms for financial aid?