PCOM Philly Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to all of you who found out you are in the PCOM class of 2014! It's a really exciting time for you right now and you should enjoy it while you can. I am presently a 2nd year (class of 2012 holler) and in response to questions about housing, here are a few things I wish people would have told me. This is just my opinion, so for what it's worth...
-First, live close by, and by that I mean 5 minute drive or within walking distance. I read about these people that drive in from Jenkintown or wherever and you'd be doing yourself a serious disservice living that far away if you are the conventional non-married, no kids kind of student. Manayunk may be the maximum distance away I would live and even with that you have to consider the daily annoyance of traffic crossing the bridge (hello, 8 am classes, exams etc and you will be strapped for time like you probably can't imagine). There are half a dozen decent apartment complexes within a few blocks of PCOM so make the trip sometime and just take a day to check them out. Also, check out craigslist. I found my present apartment on there.
-Parking. If you fill out a form in the Bursar's office early enough you might be able to get garage parking. Monument lot parking is fine too though, just a chilly walk up the hill in the morning. FYI for all you monument lot people: garage parking is free after 5pm for all students. They don't publicize that information, so you're welcome. BE SURE wherever you reside that parking is available at any and all times. I had a friend who lived at a place with "street parking" but she couldn't park there til after 2 or something messed up like that. It was super aggravating, so avoid situations like that. You'll have enough to worry about.

I could go on, but this is long enough. If anyone has any more specific questions I can try to answer them. Again, congrats to all of you!

Ok, my wife, and 2 sons visited the area the past couple of days. There are new apartments within a couple of hundred yards from PCOM called Mansions at Bala... very nice. A little pricier than Presidential, but a whole lot nicer. We were very impressed with the Lower Merion area! Beautiful mansions! My oldest son will be in 1st and 2nd grade during my 3rd and 4th year, so I am very interested in the school district. The money is flowing in this area, so even if it is a little bit more expensive, it will be worth it to have my boys in a great school district. We took a look at Manayunk. Nice depending on where you are, some areas are a little bit more troubled and some areas are nice. But not far from PCOM.
My suggestion is to get a Realtor and find houses that are for rent in the area and find yourself a room mate! I was able to find 3bdrm 2.5 bath houses ranging from $1400 - $3000/month. Split the rent and utilites and you will be paying about $800 - $1500/mo.
Good Luck everyong!

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I got my binder in the mail today!! It has lots of great information. Has anyone else received it yet??

I didn't get it today, but you are in Pannsylvania and I am a bit further afield, so maybe this weekend? I am looking forward to it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to let you guys know that I got my binder in the mail today!! It has lots of great information. Has anyone else received it yet??

do you get the binder if you just submitted the $250 deposit or do you have to send in the $2000 to get it?

Hi everyone,

I just received an acceptance from here - really excited. Anyone else thinking of going for the dual degree pathway? Also, and sorry if this question has been asked, does anyone know PCOM's book list for the class of 2014? Congrats to those who are accepted!

Hi everyone,

I just received an acceptance from here - really excited. Anyone else thinking of going for the dual degree pathway? Also, and sorry if this question has been asked, does anyone know PCOM's book list for the class of 2014? Congrats to those who are accepted!

Congrats on getting accepted!

I thought about the dual degree until I realized that I will be lucky just to keep up with the normal course load. As you have heard, med school is the most difficult you will ever encounter par none! So, go ahead go for the dual degree, as you know you won't even start the other classes until you finish the first year... by then you will know if you will be able to handle both.

As far as the book list... that has not come out, however, if you can, you can go by the book store on campus and look at the books on the rack under M1. Those are the books that 1st years had to get this year... I know Physiology by Guyton, Foundations for Osteopathic Medicine published by the American Osteopathic Association, and the Netter Atlas of Human Anatomy are on the shelf. But those are reference books that are also in the library, so you might want to hold off on purchasing them.

Hi everyone,

As far as getting ahead, you can start reading Guyton and Hall's Textbook of Physiology or Berne and Levy's Physiology textbook. Both are great books and will definitely give you everything you need to start. I had to read both cover to cover (~ 1000 pages each) for my MS. Johns Hopkins 1st year med students and biomedical engineers use the Berne and Levy Physiology textbook. However, the Berne and Levy is a little heavier in the analytic engineering aspect than Guyton and Hall. Guyton and Hall is easier to read and does a better job of explaination of the processes. Anyway, either book is a very good start.

Last edited:
Hey folks, I'm a first year at PCOM. I haven't been on here in awhile but will check in regularly to answer/clarify any thing you guys want to know about.

Starting with...
As far as getting ahead, you can start reading Guyton and Hall's Textbook of Physiology or Berne and Levy's Physiology textbook.
DON'T do this.

Enjoy your summer, folks. Travel, relax, go places, see things, do stuff, etc.

NOTHING will give you a leg up or prepare you for your first trimester. Or any trimester really.

Some of my classmates who read ahead during the summer regretted doing that because they would have rather spent the extra time doing nothing. Yes even if they spent only an hour reading up some basic biology, they want that hour back now.

As far as books you want to get for SPOM (Anatomy), here is what majority of people used (and you really need these):

Netter's (any edition)
- yes library has some copies but buy a copy for yourself because trust me, you will be waking up on 6 AM the day of your practical and paging through this beast like a mad man to frantically memorize all the branches of axillary artery

Grant's Dissector - only one copy per your lab group. Most people didn't buy another copy for themselves because the group copy was sufficient to study off of

Grant's Anatomy - only one copy per lab group. DO NOT spend your money and buy a copy of this for yourself. Trust me when I tell you that whoever drew the anatomy pictures for this book were drunk/high/blind because they are not accurately drawn. You need this for the lab group because Master Kvist follows this in lab

OMT Atlas - you will use this book for 2 years so buy it and its pretty helpful for OMM lab/practical

Bates Guide to Physical Exam - you will use this book for 2 years, and I say well into your residency, because it is not only easy to follow as M1/M2 but it's also filled with details that you would need to know in your clinical years

BRS Anatomy - GREAT review book for exams. Spend the money on this if you can.

That is all you will need.

Don't buy Moore, don't buy Histology books, don't buy developmental books, and certainly don't buy the big OMM book (Foundations of whatever its called)

Everything you will need to know/learn will come from either the books I listed up there or your lectures

And YES, it is awesome that 76ers practice at our gym all the time...

Hey folks, I'm a first year at PCOM. I haven't been on here in awhile but will check in regularly to answer/clarify any thing you guys want to know about.

Starting with...
DON'T do this.

NOTHING will give you a leg up or prepare you for your first trimester. Or any trimester really.

Some of my classmates who read ahead during the summer regretted doing that because they would have rather spent the extra time doing nothing. Yes even if they spent only an hour reading up some basic biology, they want that hour back now.

As far as books you want to get for SPOM (Anatomy), here is what majority of people used (and you really need these):

Netter's (any edition) - yes library has some copies but buy a copy for yourself because trust me, you will be waking up on 6 AM the day of your practical and paging through this beast like a mad man to frantically memorize all the branches of axillary artery

Grant's Dissector - only one copy per your lab group. Most people didn't buy another copy for themselves because the group copy was sufficient to study off of

Grant's Anatomy - only one copy per lab group. DO NOT spend your money and buy a copy of this for yourself. Trust me when I tell you that whoever drew the anatomy pictures for this book were drunk/high/blind because they are not accurately drawn. You need this for the lab group because Master Kvist follows this in lab

OMT Atlas - you will use this book for 2 years so buy it and its pretty helpful for OMM lab/practical

Bates Guide to Physical Exam - you will use this book for 2 years, and I say well into your residency, because it is not only easy to follow as M1/M2 but it's also filled with details that you would need to know in your clinical years

Don't buy Moore, don't buy Histology books, don't buy developmental books, and certainly don't buy the big OMM book (Foundations of whatever its called)

Everything you will need to know/learn will come from either the books I listed up there or your lectures

Just to clarify... I was only stating what is on the bookshelf in the bookstore for M1. I have no idea what the pace and/or expectation will be placed on us. My only thought was that IF :rolleyes: you must read something, then read Guyton and Hall... at least you can read it and become familiar with processes and mechanisms... and it's a lot easier to read than an anatomy book :sleep:.

I'm excited to meet everyone. :D:D:D

Thanks for the good advice, Rollo. I plan on doing just that. :)

Congrats on getting accepted!

I'm right there with you! I plan on focusing on relaxing, hiking and camping!

Starting with...
DON'T do this.

Netter's (any edition)
- yes library has some copies but buy a copy for yourself because trust me, you will be waking up on 6 AM the day of your practical and paging through this beast like a mad man to frantically memorize all the branches of axillary artery

Ditto this advice. I also wouldn't recommend any other books.

Enjoy some relaxation for the next few months. Congrats on the acceptances!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!! FINALLY GOT AN INTERVIEW!! March 4, 9am. Anyone else goning to be there that day? For those who already went, any hints or warnings? Congrats to all those who already got accepted, hopefully see you in august!

Oh, and much thanks to Rollo and Amehigh for the book recommendations.

I plan on buying my books right before classes start...in Aug. lol,
So the bookstore won't even give you a heads up as to which books to buy!? They'll have you buy everything for M1?!? that's sounds annoying and like a major waste of $!! :thumbdown:

I plan on buying my books right before classes start...in Aug. lol,
So the bookstore won't even give you a heads up as to which books to buy!? They'll have you buy everything for M1?!? that's sounds annoying and like a major waste of $!! :thumbdown:

I would recommend buying the few books you need online through amazon.com or half.com or ebay or anywhere really.

The Netters atlas you can get a used or old copy from a friend if you know anyone that has one.

The book that you split with your anatomy group you can even get online when you meet during orientation or you can all just chip in $10 to get it from the bookstore.

You really aren't going to need to buy anything other than what we recommended :)

hi everyone :) so I'm looking at housing as well, and was just wondering if anyone knew anything more about center city housing? I've been browsing apartments for awhile, but don't know the distinction between old city, university city, rittenhouse, washington square, etc. I've heard that the area around Drexel and Upenn isnt the best, so is University city not a good option?

Also, someone else posted if I was a traditional student (in the sense that I'm not married/have no kids) I should probably live closer to campus...can someone please elaborate? I'd heard because lectures are all recorded from other PCOM students that living closer by doesnt provide too much of an advantage...

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

hi everyone :) so I'm looking at housing as well, and was just wondering if anyone knew anything more about center city housing? I've been browsing apartments for awhile, but don't know the distinction between old city, university city, rittenhouse, washington square, etc. I've heard that the area around Drexel and Upenn isnt the best, so is University city not a good option?

Also, someone else posted if I was a traditional student (in the sense that I'm not married/have no kids) I should probably live closer to campus...can someone please elaborate? I'd heard because lectures are all recorded from other PCOM students that living closer by doesnt provide too much of an advantage...

Hopefully I won't be giving bad gouge... I kind of got the smack down by the 1st years earlier... I'll leave the issue of what the best areas are to the ones who know. But, I've heard that you will rely less on the recorded lectures in the 1st year because most of it is lab (anatomy and histology labs being the biggest portion). If you received your Nucleus login and password you can look at the M1's schedule and see what requirements of your time will be. I've been told by some that group study is important so if you live too far away then it is harder to get hooked up. It all depends on your learning style.

Where you wanna live depends on your budget, type of neighborhood/environment you prefer (or can tolerate), attending lectures, etc.

Your first trimester, which will last until November, you will be required to be at school for most of the time. It's usually 3 hours every day in the AM for anatomy lab with OMM lab in the afternoon once a week, pcs lab every now and then, case conferences, and histo quizzes.

If you're like me and can't study by going to lectures, then you are going to love tegrity! Also, if you think you'd do well by studying with other people then by all means live close to school.

Just know that once November rolls around, and CMBM starts, mandatory attendance will be reduced. Same thing when third trimester rolls around, it's more lectures, and even less mandatory attendance.

I live in center city and I love it! The area around PCOM is kind of boring as far as it's not very walkable and doesn't have as many fun things to do. We (I'm married) decided that we wanted to live in the city and I don't have any regrets. I take the bus and on occasion I drive to school. It really only takes 15-20 minutes max and the traffic usually isn't too bad.

I really think that during the 1st trimester is the only time when it might have been an advantage to live a little closer. Anatomy labs are mandatory and then once tests got closer I would stay on campus sometimes until midnight or 1 am in the lab to study. Since I didn't live within walking distance I would bring my food with me and have to eat dinner on campus, but it really wasn't a big deal at all.

From here on out there aren't too many mandatory things and I'm not on campus nearly as much. I rarely stay past 7 pm. Although I don't go to most classes, I still go to the library or somewhere on campus to study most days.

I'm happy with our decision to live in the city, so if you have any specific questions about living in the city, feel free to ask me. As far as University City goes, I'm not too sure....I know a couple of people that live in that area, but not sure if they like it or not.

Hey I am also accepted into Philly and I am a traditional student from NJ. I would like to say congrats and I can't wait to meet all of you. Does anyone know whether their going to the April luncheon?

Hey I am also accepted into Philly and I am a traditional student from NJ. I would like to say congrats and I can't wait to meet all of you. Does anyone know whether their going to the April luncheon?

Congratulations! Unless something changes, I will be there.

I am planning to go to the luncheon in April. I can combine it with a trip to visit my parents and let the kids see Grandmom and Granddad.

Ok cool...Do you guys remember what day and what time the luncheon is gonna be... I had the info in the first acceptance letter that I got but I seemed to have misplaced it = (

also, do you guys know if family is also invited?

Ok cool...Do you guys remember what day and what time the luncheon is gonna be... I had the info in the first acceptance letter that I got but I seemed to have misplaced it = (

also, do you guys know if family is also invited?

not sure about family but the welcome brunch is sunday, april 11th at 11

I read somewhere that said accepted students only.....no family. They also did point out that there would be events to include the families during the orientation week, but not for the April luncheon.

I read somewhere that said accepted students only.....no family. They also did point out that there would be events to include the families during the orientation week, but not for the April luncheon.

Ok thanks so much! :)

Hmmm...I thought I remembered reading that they would be sending a formal invitation in the mail soon with RSVP and amount of people attending..so I thought that was implying that family was invited. Not sure though!

has anyone read the 2009 match list.. i was pretty interested to compare it to md schools, and found that the matches are better than temple and drexel.. obviously, we are all here because we want to be osteopaths and not mds, but its still interesting information. It looks like the matches are on par or better than these schools...

http://www.pcom.edu/Student_Life/Student_Affairs_Main/match_2009_phl.html
http://www.temple.edu/medicine/education/documents/MATCH2009-STATE.pdf
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:B3TuHzeHfJoJ:www.temple.edu/medicine/education/documents/MATCH2009-STATE.pdf+match+list+drexel+2009&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgBkbzLL6tDHoUxJX2ikpJQj_HPdDOoaFajtF8lKZ2AwZQgWPKXC4Btu4twSc4xORR4njqBe-5Y8Of1_dWfvh606CcdLskr4U9COVgn78gs5Oz-kdURsoIUTl8naMzLhr2eHn4o&sig=AHIEtbT3h1fyH3Ll--vLejAh0O5x0rsRZg

has anyone read the 2009 match list.. i was pretty interested to compare it to md schools, and found that the matches are better than temple and drexel.. obviously, we are all here because we want to be osteopaths and not mds, but its still interesting information. It looks like the matches are on par or better than these schools...

http://www.pcom.edu/Student_Life/Student_Affairs_Main/match_2009_phl.html
http://www.temple.edu/medicine/education/documents/MATCH2009-STATE.pdf
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...2eHn4o&sig=AHIEtbT3h1fyH3Ll--vLejAh0O5x0rsRZg

What about UMDNJ SOM? How is the match list there?

I got my binder a couple weeks ago ... definitely love having the PCOM email address now (seems to make everything feel very official!!). I'm planning on going to the luncheon as well.

I read in the binder that we can test out of histology lab if we've previously had a histo class and lab. I just recently completed this class in my undergrad, and I am definitely planning on taking the test out exam. Any first/second-years take this opportunity?? Any advice??

Not yet. I've been thinking about PCOM a lot though since my acceptance. I'm trying to figure out if it is still post-acceptance glory or the school for me. :)

What other schools are you still considering??

Hey!! FINALLY GOT AN INTERVIEW!! March 4, 9am. Anyone else goning to be there that day? For those who already went, any hints or warnings? Congrats to all those who already got accepted, hopefully see you in august!

Congrats on the interview!! I'm sure you'll do great. Best advice is to be yourself... don't act overly confident or cocky. Just stay relaxed and focused. The interview process is very informal in that the interviewers are really just trying to get to know you better. Let's put it this way, you wouldn't have received an interview if they weren't interested in your application, so don't feel extremely pressured!!

Also, get to the campus EARLY on your interview day. You do not want to feel rushed into the scenario, and showing up late looks really bad (someone showed up almost an hour late during my interview day and it was really embarrassing!!).

I prepared by looking at the interview reviews on sdn...there will usually be 3 interviewers with 3 big laptops asking you questions. Also try to prepare by going over questions with a career advisor.

YES!!!!!

TEST OUT OF HISTOLOGY LAB IF YOU CAN!!!

I personally didn't take histology in undergrad so I couldn't test out of it.

However

I can tell you that histo quizzes/practical aren't difficult. They will just take away from your studying time. Lab and lecture will be time-consuming enough as it is...having histo quizzes on top is just annoying.

Make your life easier and test out if you can.

You will still be responsible for histology LECTURE material that will appear on the written exams though.

YES!!!!!

TEST OUT OF HISTOLOGY LAB IF YOU CAN!!!

I personally didn't take histology in undergrad so I couldn't test out of it.

However

I can tell you that histo quizzes/practical aren't difficult. They will just take away from your studying time. Lab and lecture will be time-consuming enough as it is...having histo quizzes on top is just annoying.

Make your life easier and test out if you can.

You will still be responsible for histology LECTURE material that will appear on the written exams though.

Thanks for the advice!! Yeah, I figured if I could eliminate something right off the bat, it would make everything else a little easier. Do you know anyone who tested out of the lab portion in your class?? Was the test out exam difficult?

I got my binder a couple weeks ago ... definitely love having the PCOM email address now (seems to make everything feel very official!!). I'm planning on going to the luncheon as well.

I read in the binder that we can test out of histology lab if we've previously had a histo class and lab. I just recently completed this class in my undergrad, and I am definitely planning on taking the test out exam. Any first/second-years take this opportunity?? Any advice??

I didn't because I had never taken histology, but definitely try and test out! You will love yourself for it! It'll free up a few hours and you'll have a few less tests to study for. Congrats on the acceptance!

Congrats on the interview!! I'm sure you'll do great. Best advice is to be yourself... don't act overly confident or cocky. Just stay relaxed and focused. The interview process is very informal in that the interviewers are really just trying to get to know you better. Let's put it this way, you wouldn't have received an interview if they weren't interested in your application, so don't feel extremely pressured!!

Also, get to the campus EARLY on your interview day. You do not want to feel rushed into the scenario, and showing up late looks really bad (someone showed up almost an hour late during my interview day and it was really embarrassing!!).
thanks for the advice!!

Hey everyone,

I was just accepted to PCOM, and wondered your opinions on the housing around the area. I am thinking about living alone, but am open to a roommate if things fall into place. I would love to save the money, but I've had some bad roommates experiences in the past. If anyone is looking for a roommate, feel free to message me. I'm a gay male, and currently live with a girl, so any sex is fine, I have been looking online at various apartment complexes, but wanted to know your thoughts.

-Phill

Imperial (have a friend there, nice) - $1000ish
Lincoln Green (really nice from their website) - $850-$1200
Green Briar (reviews online said NO!) - maybe $700?
Belmont Apts - know nothing about them
Beekman (Next to Belmont) - $900-$1000
Iriquois (Heard good things but exterior is ugly) - $800?
Presidential (Nice depending on which building) - $750-$900

Hey everyone,

I was just accepted to PCOM, and wondered your opinions on the housing around the area. I am thinking about living alone, but am open to a roommate if things fall into place. I would love to save the money, but I've had some bad roommates experiences in the past. If anyone is looking for a roommate, feel free to message me. I'm a gay male, and currently live with a girl, so any sex is fine, I have been looking online at various apartment complexes, but wanted to know your thoughts.

-Phill

I live in the city and I love it. There are some other 1st years that I know live in the city too. A lot of people live in the apartment complexes near school, but I'm not too sure about the info on them. Other areas closer to school are Manayunk and Art Museum.

It all depends on what kind of environment you're looking for. Out around school there isn't too much going on as far as restaurants and bars/lounges/clubs.

We found our place on craigslist and based on past experiences I've always had good luck dealing with private land lords, so that's what I usually try to stick with until I'm ready to buy.

Good luck and let me know if you have any specific questions!

I have a friend who recently bought a house in Philly who says I can room with him for PCOM.

I was wondering if someone more familiar with the city could tell me if N 42nd St is good/bad neighborhood? It's about 3 miles from PCOM, which would be perfect, but I'd like to know more about the area, if possible.

Thanks!

UMDNJ-SOM and VCOM. It's a hard decision because these are the three schools that I was most interested in to begin with.

Yea, good luck with your decision (hopefully you'll go with PCOM!!). I was fortunate enough to get into several schools (both allo and osteo). PCOM was always my number one choice, however, because of their professional reputation and residency placement (wide range of specialties). I've spoken to many MD's and DO's, and I've never heard anything but good things regarding PCOM. I've not only been told (by physicians) that it's hands down the best osteopathic school, but that its educational program surpasses typical allopathic institutions. I obviously prefer DO over MD, so going with PCOM was a no brainer!!

If you need any help with you decision (in any way) let me know!! I'll help in any way that I can (even if it's not with PCOM)!!

Anyone get any info yet on the background check??