PCOM - Atlanta Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone give me information about the Post Bacc biomedical program in GA...

I applied and upon acceptance I'm wondering if it is the way to go. Also, if anyone knows how much it costs (ball park) that would be great

You might try this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=593634

Members don't see this ad.

THis reply is for you and carbolfuchsin:

I did the biomed program for 1 year and am now a first year DO Student. There are 6 others from my biomed class (a class of approx 55 students) in the DO class of 2012, as well as 2 others who came in after completing the 2nd year of the Biomed program. Several others from my biomed class are first years at other programs, both MD and DO.

Tuition was about $18,000 for the year.

If you were to start the biomed program in August, you'd probably get interviewed in February or so (to matriculate in Aug 2010). Pretty much everyone got interviewed, even the guy who never came to class and didn't have a snowball's chance. They did not accept anyone from our class until after the second term's grades were done in early March (I was accepted Mid-March), but this practice seems to have changed, as several of this years biomeds were accepted before grades came out. I suspect they changed this because there were others in our class who were excellent students, but went elsewhere because they were accepted earlier in the cycle and sent in deposits b/c they did not want to screw around waiting on GA-PCOM. I almost ended up at Nova because of this--I'm glad I didn't.

The biomed program is a great foot in the door to med school-I'm not sure I would have gotten in anywhere without it. Had I waited until this cycle to apply (with a full year of good grades at my back), I'm sure I would have had a lot more interviews/acceptances than I did get. Last year's second year Biomeds got into some great programs. The program gives you a big leg up for anatomy in the first term. After that, you're in the deep end with everyone else, although I think this years biomed class got a taste of biochem.

If you need to buff your app, the program is a good way to go. Just make sure to DO WELL. A post-bacc can get you into school, but a poor performance would be a big nail in your coffin. I'd also check out Drexel's IMS program-I was waitlisted due to a tardy MCAT score, but from my research, you were pretty much guaranteed an in at Drexel if you performed in that program. The deadline is in April for that one, I believe.

Hope this answers y'alls (yeah, I really said y'all) questions.

Best of luck, and congrats to those that have been accepted.

BTW--

That is a real XRay of Texas Triathlete.

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody that interviewed in feb. hear anything back about an acceptance? i interviewed on feb. 16th and still haven't heard anything...

I know someone who interviewed on the 16th, who just got her acceptance letter on, I think, Saturday morning. And she lives in Atlanta, so the letter would not have taken long in the mail. I'd imagine it was sent out on Thursday or even Friday.

And I can confirm that that is a real X-ray of me. I have no idea how that bottle got there. I was gardening naked one night at about 3am, and I slipped and fell, and then I felt a poke. The result is in that radiograph.

The ER doc and trauma surgeons say they get that all the time. I can see why it would be a common mistake. I am really surprised you don't hear about that sort of thing more often.

And I can confirm that that is a real X-ray of me. I have no idea how that bottle got there. I was gardening naked one night at about 3am, and I slipped and fell, and then I felt a poke. The result is in that radiograph.

The ER doc and trauma surgeons say they get that all the time. I can see why it would be a common mistake. I am really surprised you don't hear about that sort of thing more often.

The funny thing is that it wasn't discovered by a trauma surgeon or an ER doc. The thing just popped up on a standard work up for Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. Amazing!

is there any word on those binders yet or has anyone received one yet?

I sent an email to the Student Affairs office in Philly, and they said that the binders were being sent out some time this week. However, I was told the binders were being sent out within a week or so about three weeks ago, so don't know how accurate their estimate is.

GA Campus told me they were sent out about 2 weeks ago.

I interviewed Feb 16th and received my acceptance letter on the 26th or so, it was dated the 23rd

I think 3 people got in outright from that group on the 16th. I know someone who got in from that group, and I heard this through the grapevine. They are being stingy with those now, because its so late, but a bunch of spots should open up around the end of April, once the big deposit deadline comes and goes. A bunch of the "hold" people will be getting the call then.

Also, I know a few biomeds who are waiting on MCAT scores.

When you get the word will depend on when the admissions committee meets. The group that interviewed on the 16th had an admissions meeting like a day or two later, so they got the word in a hurry. I think they meet every 2-3 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all-

I loved RVU and I have sent in my first deposit but I just got an interview offer at GA-PCOM. I am not sure whether or not to go to the interview or not or just be done and stick with my decision to go to RVU. Any advice? Anyone know much about GA-PCOM? Should I go to a school that is accredited over one that pending accrediation? Any comments appreciated.

Can someone please tell the pros and cons of GA-PCOM? What the campus is like, etc? If I can get a lot of info on SDN I will save 500 on a plane ticket.

Thanks!

Hey all-

I loved RVU and I have sent in my first deposit but I just got an interview offer at GA-PCOM. I am not sure whether or not to go to the interview or not or just be done and stick with my decision to go to RVU. Any advice? Anyone know much about GA-PCOM? Should I go to a school that is accredited over one that pending accrediation? Any comments appreciated.

Can someone please tell the pros and cons of GA-PCOM? What the campus is like, etc? If I can get a lot of info on SDN I will save 500 on a plane ticket.

Thanks!
The campus is fine. A little "plain", but very nice and clean, and everything you need.

RVU is kind of entering uncharted territory. They are the only for-profit medical school in the states, and that makes some people nervous. I don't know what to expect from them.

Being near Atlanta is a major plus. I really came to realize that yesterday, when I volunteered at the IGN Marathon medical tent, and spent the day rubbing elbows with the Emory Emergency Medicine faculty, who we apparently have a good relationship with. We also have some connections at MCG (Dr. Penney, who is our Neuroscience course director, is on faculty there as well).

From everything I've heard, RVU is doing everything the right way. But I'd give us a look-see, unless money is a major issue. Keep in mind that this offer won't be on the table long. I believe interview season is coming to an end shortly for us.

hey all, i interviewed march 9 and talked to admissions this morning. i was told that i was "on hold for mcat." i am confused because i'm not waiting for new mcat scores nor am i scheduled to take it again - and i told my interviewers this. i don't know what to make of this because she said its not a rejection letter, and i'm pretty sure its not a waitlist either.

she said i should receive the letter soon and that it would explain itself in more detail, but i thought maybe someone in here can tell me bc i won't be able to check the mail until friday.

Hey for those of you guys that interviewed with me today the 31st let me know when you guys get your letters of waitlist or decline you don't have to say which I just want to know when you get it so I know when to look for mine...I'll do the same for you guys...thanks and good luck!

hey all, i interviewed march 9 and talked to admissions this morning. i was told that i was "on hold for mcat." i am confused because i'm not waiting for new mcat scores nor am i scheduled to take it again - and i told my interviewers this. i don't know what to make of this because she said its not a rejection letter, and i'm pretty sure its not a waitlist either.

she said i should receive the letter soon and that it would explain itself in more detail, but i thought maybe someone in here can tell me bc i won't be able to check the mail until friday.

haha, I received this letter in early October and have been telling them since I am not retaking. I was told mutliple times I would be sent to evaulation without the scores and never was. the whole admissions committee and buffy can't seem to get a grip on things so I moved on with a bad impression left on the school. funny thing it was my top choice until I had to tell them everything twenty million times and they still couln't get it right! i'm sure it is a great school, but the admissions staff really needs to step it up a notch.

GA-PCOM was my top choice, before I had such a problem with admissions. I had to send documents soo many times for them to recieve them. I sent them with ups delivery confirmation and they still said they didn't have them. I went to tour the school and I really liked it and the faculty seemed good, but they could never get my paperwork straight. The school is only about a two hour drive from my home, but when I went to visit LMU-DCOM I changed my mind. The same from me..... it is a good school with good faculty, they just need to get better organized.

Admissions is not the same as the whole school. These people work their asses off, and I assure you that they really do care about doing a good job for applicants. As much time as Buffie spends at work, you'd think she was doing her residency in the admissions office. But like the bumper sticker says: **** happens.

The fact that the admissions office may have given you a bad impression really has no bearing on what you get from the rest of the school. Once a final decision has been made on your application, you will never have to deal with them again as long as you live. Then it comes down to everything else you want to get out of the school.

It would be silly to pass up a good opportunity because the admissions office didn't give you the warm fuzzies.

Now if you've got on your primary application that you plan to take the MCAT again, it seems like it might be easy to overlook a footnote saying that you no longer plan to take it. But anyway, you guys found a school that doesn't need you to take it again, and I can hardly blame you for not wanting to. Hell, I wouldn't take that ****ing thing again. So this is hardly something to get upset about. You guys are accepted to med school. Be happy.

Good luck to you in the future. You're going to need it, because this **** is hard.

Admissions is not the same as the whole school. These people work their asses off, and I assure you that they really do care about doing a good job for applicants. As much time as Buffie spends at work, you'd think she was doing her residency in the admissions office. But like the bumper sticker says: **** happens.

The fact that the admissions office may have given you a bad impression really has no bearing on what you get from the rest of the school. Once a final decision has been made on your application, you will never have to deal with them again as long as you live. Then it comes down to everything else you want to get out of the school.

It would be silly to pass up a good opportunity because the admissions office didn't give you the warm fuzzies.

Now if you've got on your primary application that you plan to take the MCAT again, it seems like it might be easy to overlook a footnote saying that you no longer plan to take it. But anyway, you guys found a school that doesn't need you to take it again, and I can hardly blame you for not wanting to. Hell, I wouldn't take that ****ing thing again. So this is hardly something to get upset about. You guys are accepted to med school. Be happy.

Good luck to you in the future. You're going to need it, because this **** is hard.

I realize it seems bad to pass the school up because the admissions committee, but I have no other choice. I've spoken, sent emails, sent snail mail, and every other form of communication multiple times. I can't really do anything else to get them to review my file, so oh well. Plus, I personally liked LMU better at the interview and I know it will be a better fit for me.

Anybody know what their interview schedule is like? Are they still offering interviews for the upcoming Fall class?

Not sure if there is a thread on this (and I didnt search, sorry) but I was wondering if anyone is heading off to the biomedical school this fall.

Since I have heard nothing from med schools, that seems to be my destination. Just checking to see if i'm alone! And you actual Med school students better be nice to me! Hopefully I'll be joining you the following year

ashkosh: I think they're interviewing, but not for much longer.

wackyfizzle: good luck. There are some former biomeds in my class, and they seemed very well-prepared for med school.

Not sure if there is a thread on this (and I didnt search, sorry) but I was wondering if anyone is heading off to the biomedical school this fall.

Since I have heard nothing from med schools, that seems to be my destination. Just checking to see if i'm alone! And you actual Med school students better be nice to me! Hopefully I'll be joining you the following year

hey wackyfizzle, im still looking into it. what is the deadline to apply??

anyone who interviewed in early march heard ANYTHING? cuz I haven't... :(

There is a big deposit due on April 15th (I think) for people who have already been accepted. They may wait until that deadline has come and gone before too many more people get the YES letter. I don't know this for sure, but I do know that they were starting to get low on spots for this class. The good news is that a good number of spots will become available at that point. They just don't know how many, so they may be a little stingy with acceptances until then.

Thanks for the info; I figured as much. I'm just concerned because I haven't received anything from them, not even a waitlist letter. I thought I might receive that at least, but I guess to not get a rejection letter should provide some hope. But maybe since it's so close to the April 15th deadline, when all this proverbial movement will take place, it's pointless for them to send a letter...

I would interpret no rejection letter as a good sign.

Does anyone know about places to live? I am looking for places around the campus, like an apartment or condo to live on my own. Do any current students or people who know the area have any suggestions?

I know they have some apartments listed on the pcom-GA website.

Does anyone if the class is full yet? I have an interview for April 14 and I was just wondering if I would be interviewing for the wait -list.
For people who have already been accepted, there is a huge deposit due on April 15th. Anyone who doesn't get it in will lose their spot. This will include people who have decided to go elsewhere, but still hold a spot here. What I'm saying is that there should be a decent number of spots coming open around soon after the 15th.

and.............rejected. this totally sucks.

How did you find out? Email? Mail? Phone call?

snail mail, but not in a timely manner. the letter was written 3/23, but not mailed until 4/1. and i didn't get it until 4/13.

I applied late in the process (when I mean late, I mean my secondary application wasn't available until 3/6/09). My application from what I have been able to discern is competitive. Should I give up hope on getting in this year and instead focus on the more realistic possibility of next year?

I interviewed on march 31st. If I haven't received anything after my interview yet should I be concerned that I didn't get in?

I am sorry I should have articulated the statement a little better. I submitted my secondary the same day I submitted my AACOMAS to ensure that it met the stated deadline. My verified AACOMAS application was submitted to GA-PCOM mid-February. I was notified by the school that my complete file was ready for review by the committee on March 6. There has been no further communication between myself and GA-PCOM. Thank you for responding so promptly.

i talked to buffie yesterday and she said that there are a good number of people that are on the waitlist and we should find out for sure next week when people let her know that they arent coming or if they are...waitlist should mean that you are accepted for the next year as well haha but i guess thats not how it works

she said that my application was on hold but since the deadline for the deposit was due last week its being changed to waitlist during next week sometime

Anyone going to PCOM ga, just wondering where ya'll are going to live! I think it would be better to live nearby other students. Course Im not in the med school, only biomed, but oh well.

wacky, if you havent already, check out and join the facebook group for the ga-pcom class of 2013. theres some housing info there and i know that several biomed students live with current med students. theres probably a biomed group too, but im not sure.

n/a

Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything that interviewed in the last month (end of March and all of April)?

interviewed march 9th. i called and they told me i was on hold - but i haven't gotten a letter yet.