PCCM Application thread '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Musc :(

Members don't see this ad.

Just relax. I remember last year in December I only heard from one program. By the end of Feb I was having to decline/cancel interviews. It's a much longer process than applying from residency. I know that anxiety is high, but everything will be fine. Just start saving money for the plane tickets, hotels and whatnot.

Got the famous email from John hopkins... Otherwise the inbox is empty so far. Which program in musc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just relax. I remember last year in December I only heard from one program. By the end of Feb I was having to decline/cancel interviews. It's a much longer process than applying from residency. I know that anxiety is high, but everything will be fine. Just start saving money for the plane tickets, hotels and whatnot.
Agree with this. It made the waiting even more anxious that applicants for other subspecialties were getting interviews in December, but we all started getting flooded with responses in January and February. Have patience.

Hi guys..this is my first post here...Applied ~40 H1 programs. Eras mailbox still empty. Goodluck to all of us.

Any info on these programs " baylor" "Temple " " U. of kentucky"

Temple has 4 positions I believe. have transplant service and Lung centre is famous in Philly. The location is very shady but people have their own preference for that. They prefer internal candidates I hear, but my seniors have seen outsiders as fellows too. Have not heard from them yet.

Hello Guys....
Am new to this forum.....hope this works out for all of us.
Warezz could you please tell me the names of all the 40H1B programs you applied to. There was a previous list of HIB's but are you sure all the 40 programs you applied to do H1? Congrats Moozy for the yale interview!:thumbup:

Thank you.

You can call the programs to get the information about H1B. The information is much easier to obtain than it is for IM residency programs. I volunteered a few names in a post above. It is no hidden secret but it would be strange to share the exact list of one's application. Thats my opinion. no offense meant.

More H1 programs - Uni of WV, Uni of SC, TJU, Temple, Drexel, Duke, Uni of NM, Uni of Loi- Shereveport, Rush, Uni of Alabama

I agree sharing a complete list on an open forum is wierd...but i agree with Moozy..all those programs offer H1-not sure about Uni of Loi- Shereveport though!

Thanks for the info on Temple Moozy. Seems like a good program.

i think you are the first one on this forum with an interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Moozy, if you don't mind my asking, can you please tell me what state are u doing residency in? Please pass if u do mind...its cool:cool::cool:

thanks.

Seems like I have to update my list of H1 programs, and also we have to update our wiki posts on the first page,
being in ward does not give me enough time to post!

what kind of photo - casual or seriouos

Last edited:
i found out that some programs have certain filters like visa, when they download applications. In that case, they may not even see your application at all.

What worries me is if they have some preference for scores in USMLE. That would mean that somenés CV and good LORs or research may not even be looked at if the score filter is set. That thought seriously disturbs me.

Which program is musc??

You are right about the filtering process...I am also worried about the scores as they are my weakest point.

Considering USMLE scores for residency is ok as that is the only thing that a candidate has and there is no other way to evaluate an applicant. But fellowship should be different as you might have done numerous other things during residency that can make u a potential candidate...

...just my thoughts.

Finally, got that first one,
by snail mail @ univ of alabama :)

Moozy and pmdoc, my feeling is scores probably are not that important during fellowship that they use them to screen out applicants unless it is a really topnotch program (may be like colorado, which sent those rejections so early on).

Moozy and pmdoc, my feeling is scores probably are not that important during fellowship that they use them to screen out applicants unless it is a really topnotch program (may be like colorado, which sent those rejections so early on).

:thumbup::thumbup:
cool man

:thumbup:

Thank you,

Moozy, Photo can be any passport sized I think. There are few instructions on the EFDO website about how to take a digital one and what size it should be, if you think of using dig camera (you might have already seen them).
I had some difficulty getting it to proper size. I think EFDO screen photos but it should not matter whether you are presentable or not!!
But otherwise I don't think programs will care about it much.

Congratulations Arjun.:thumbup:
I have a feeling that most of the invites will be seen in January and Feb. I uploaded the photograph and it is available on ERAS. I was just concerned that since it is a casual photo, some PDs may think it is not very professional. But somehow, I am not that worried now, it has been downloaded.

I did not apply to Uni of Alabama.. and most southern places except GA and TX. May be I should have; but dont want to spend any more. Need ot save for interview season, if infact I do get any more IVs. :laugh: Lets see what happens next.

I agree moozy that most of the invites will be in jan and feb. Our pooled list in wiki posts about interviews from last year confirms that. Just need to hold our breath till then which is the tough part!!

what to do about the compulsion to check ERAS every 10 mins. New year is so far away.

It's only a few of us here on this forum. Not as many in comarison to last year. I am sure there are more out there who have heard from the above places and may be else where too. As from arjun's posts and from other information.. certain places generally tend to invite in dec like TJUH, Baylor etc. I certainly applied there, have not heard ofcourse. But curious.. and the curiosity is giving me GERD. :)

That sounded very familiar (is it my experience that you posted:)) !!!

:xf:

what to do about the compulsion to check ERAS every 10 mins. New year is so far away.

It's only a few of us here on this forum. Not as many in comarison to last year. I am sure there are more out there who have heard from the above places and may be else where too. As from arjun's posts and from other information.. certain places generally tend to invite in dec like TJUH, Baylor etc. I certainly applied there, have not heard ofcourse. But curious.. and the curiosity is giving me GERD. :)

Blast, i found out today that my last LOR wasn't mailed 5 weeks ago like I had thought. No wonder it hasn't been uploaded. So I probably won't be fully complete for 3-4 weeks.

im applying for PCCM this year
thank you guys for starting such a thread, i think in the next several week, it would be a stress killer, to get in touch with people that are in the same boat with you.
i will share my creds here:
IMG
USMLE :
90/91/83
2nd year resident at a large com/ u affiliated hospital,
citizen
research : minimal worked as data collector on a couple of projects
LOR:
hopefully good, from PD of PCCM, and from the division head of PCCM in my hospital.

rejections :
none so far.

interviews:
Henry Ford Hospital.

BTW :
question for every one, can anyone tell me how important is having research in applying for PCCM, cause i heard mixed opinions about that, and also how important is step 3 score???? thanx

Welcome to the forum. It is nice to see the PCCM comapny getting bigger. I am not sure of research exp. But do you think that the PDs would expect us to do great research as a PGy-1 or 2? I doubt that. They would know how intense it is. You certainly have great creds and being a citizen is a topping on the cake. Congratulations on IV. :thumbup:

im applying for PCCM this year
thank you guys for starting such a thread, i think in the next several week, it would be a stress killer, to get in touch with people that are in the same boat with you.
i will share my creds here:
IMG
USMLE :
90/91/83
2nd year resident at a large com/ u affiliated hospital,
citizen
research : minimal worked as data collector on a couple of projects
LOR:
hopefully good, from PD of PCCM, and from the division head of PCCM in my hospital.

rejections :
none so far.

interviews:
Henry Ford Hospital.

BTW :
question for every one, can anyone tell me how important is having research in applying for PCCM, cause i heard mixed opinions about that, and also how important is step 3 score???? thanx

The importance of having research experience probably depends on what program you are talking about. Some programs clearly state that their emphasis is on training the next generation of independently funded clinical investigators. These folks probably want to see some sort of prior commitment to research. Other programs clearly express an interest in emphasizing clinical training and, if the fellow wishes, they'll work with them to design a research program. That sort of program likely requires no prior research.

Regardless, pulm/cc puts less emphasis on research than cards, GI and probably heme/onc.

New to forum... great place!

Applying this year and wanted to join in.

Interviews thus far:

Colorado (12/5 email)
Yale (12/16 email)
Pittsburgh (12/17 snailmail)

Happy Holidays!

Hi,

Welcome and congrats to both ICUDR & RadinsJ on the Ivs.

Congrats for 3 - wow!!! all are big names.

Update:

Michigan (12/22 - email)

Happy Holidays everybody.

welcome radinsj and icudr.
Congrats on interviews.
Radinsj, do you mind me asking to share your credential with us, that will give us an idea as to what the programs are looking for? thank you

we are having some nice movement here with new ones joining in, i am referring all my friends to this board who are applying to various specialities

Update:

Michigan (12/22 - email)

Happy Holidays everybody.
I am jealous.. :)
I did not hear fro UPMC... did not apply to Michigan though. Congrats Radins J. You rock!!!

Here are my creds:

AMG
R2 @ large university
scores: 99, 99
Research: heavy basic science
Pubs: case reports, posters, abstracts
LOR: Good
Applied to 17 programs

PM me for any more info.

:thumbup:You got great credentials there! No wonder they all would like to interview someone with those creds! Good luck,

And thanks for letting us know RadinsJ, appreciate that.

Here are my creds:

AMG
R2 @ large university
scores: 99, 99
Research: heavy basic science
Pubs: case reports, posters, abstracts
LOR: Good
Applied to 17 programs

PM me for any more info.

you've got it all. I am sure you will get called from all 17 places.

happy Holidays everyone.

1- Yale
2- Colorado
3- Henry Ford
4- Uni of Alabama
5- Uni of Mich
6- UPMC

Happy Holidays guys!! hope to get this thread bigger with more IVs and less rejections in 2009.;)

Updated wiki post # 26 with H1 offering program
Wiki post # 27 with programs that responded so far (rejections and interviews)

Seems like we have lost a couple of posts at the time of forum upgrade.
I thought I posted a respone to jaynecobb and he posted back about scanning of documents @ ERAS. Am I in DejaVu!

In celebration of the Christmas holiday, ERAS will be closed from 12n on December 24th - December 25th. Our office will reopen on December 26th from 8a - 5p, Eastern Time. From 3:30pm on December 31, 2008 - January 1, 2009, ERAS will also close for the New Year's Day holiday. Our office will reopen on January 2nd from 8a - 5p, Eastern Time. Normal ERAS hours of 8a - 6p Eastern Time, will resume on Monday, January 5, 2009.

I did not realize that Colrado was competetive. Infact, I applied there thinking who would go in the middle of nowhere. they have 5 positions too. Anyways. I have applied to some big names just because they are close to where I am currently located, eventhough I am sure I will not hear from them.

Colorado is a top notch pulm program and a ARDSnet site. Got my first rejection from there a couple of days ago

AMG
95%/93%/96%
One publication
One grant
Uni program
went to CU for undergrad! :laugh:

thanks for the info and welcome to the forum. You have great creds. Hope to hear more from you later in the season.

My research is kinda stuck in the middle. I hope things get moving by interview season so that I have something to talk about.

Status
Not open for further replies.