PCCM Application thread '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayneCobb

big damn hero....
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is the thread for the 09 application cycle,

I've got my ERAS token a case of mylanta, do you?

Here's last years thread

Members don't see this ad.

Token already.. I was not aware that we can get tokens so early for fellowship. i also intend to apply for PCCM this year. Have not even started PS or anything for that matter.

This is the thread for the 09 application cycle,

I've got my ERAS token a case of mylanta, do you?

Here's last years thread

yeah,
I think it is a bit early for token, but hey the interviews are first come first serve basis, so why not, lets get started.
Also guys why don't we start out by our personal details, I mean it will be good if we post the following details in our first post.That will help us later to see which programs are looking for what type of candidates.

AMG or IMG:
Presently working as:
Step scores:
Research experience:
Publications/Posters:
Extra qualifications:
Visa status: (if applicable)
No of places applying to: (may be tough to say)
Interviews received at: (and if possible with dates)
Interview experience

Everyone, please add your IV experience at the earliest. We are pooling all experiences into one post and this should help us very much. Will apreciate your efforts.
Am posting my details in the next post:thumbup:

Please see wiki posts #26 to #30 on this page, where we are pooling info regarding programs offering H1, programs that responded with interviews and our interview experiences

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, here are my details:

Am FMG
Looking for J1
Doing Residency (2nd year)
USMLE scores: Step 1-92%, Step-2 87%, Step-3 not given yet
Research experience: Did a PhD, so Lot of bench research, Just started some research work in my residency
Publications/Posters: From PhD only, nothing clinical yet
Extra qualifications: Hoping my PhD will help me
Planning to apply for 15-20 places

CV in place, Just got a token, No LoRS or SOP yet, :sleep:

Last edited:
I am IMG
Working as: PGY-2 in community -uni aff program
Step scores: 80s
Research experience: Currently in a small project
Publications/Posters: One interntional publication, couple case reports in pipeline.
Extra qualifications: not really
Visa status: H1(? EAD)
No of places applying to: 30-50 (unsure)

Lets all keep this thread alive.

Last edited:
OK, I'll bite. I haven't posted in a long time, but I made the transition from Pathology to IM and am now looking forward to applying for a Pulm/CC spot.

AMG
Internal Medicine resident R2
Step I: 254/99
Step II: 258/99
Senior AOA
Pubs: No papers, but one recently published abstract/poster
Applying to 5-10 programs. Limiting applications to very specific geographic areas for family reasons.

Good luck to everyone!:D

I was going through last years thread... It seems a lot of people got IVs around March. I am little unsure about regional preferences; but they say that if one is from a small program they should do away elective at places where they wish to go... any ideas on that? I dont intend any such expedition though unsure of prospects.:scared:

D.O.
Presently working as: IM PGY-2 at a community hospital.
Step scores: average
Research experience: Unpublished work with E.P.A. in college, currently have 1 going before IRB in September, hopefully a 2nd in October, got my name on 1 poster publication and may get my name on a third small research project I'm helping scout the data on and final polishing on.
Extra qualifications: did I mention I can make cookies?
No of places applying to: Minimum of 6, probably closer to 15. And I will probably apply to 2 or 3 of the D.O programs as well.
Trial rotations: Got 1 down already and have a 2nd set up in January at a top program. I doubt I have a chance there, but a guy can dream no?

Interviews received at: pending.

Keep on the nice flow of posts!

I could not log for the last few days. Nice to see people joining in.

I have also gone through the last years thread. And yes Moozy you are right; I too did observe that most of the interviews were given in late feb through march (though some got early ones). No I have to rethink my holidays, unfortunately. I took in Feb and Mar but none in april or may. I have to see and on top of that I have ward months during that time!! Hopefully some way will come out.

I too heard that it helps to do an outside rotation, particularly at place that you may have a chance of getting in. Though it does not hurt to do at a top place and have a good LOR if possible (have a feeling that this may carry more weight). My program does not allow external rotations.

Keep the going on and good luck to all :thumbup:

i am on elective rotation in March but in ICU in April.. will wait and see how things workout. have to start working on CV and PS soon and then chasing for LORs.

okay.. I also have one more question.. being an IMG when I applied for residency, I had letters from my country that were of course not waived and I submitted my LORs personally to ERAS...

Today we had a fellowship talk by our PD.. he recommended that LORs be waived as they have strong standing. How important it it to waive LORs? What if I dont waive?.. In all honestly, I want to see what has been said about me.. Wht are u guys doing or what do u suggest I do? waive or not to waive?

okay.. I also have one more question.. being an IMG when I applied for residency, I had letters from my country that were of course not waived and I submitted my LORs personally to ERAS...

Today we had a fellowship talk by our PD.. he recommended that LORs be waived as they have strong standing. How important it it to waive LORs? What if I dont waive?.. In all honestly, I want to see what has been said about me.. Wht are u guys doing or what do u suggest I do? waive or not to waive?

I have no preference, so I'll be leaving that decission up to the LOR writers.

Hi all,

One suggestion for this year's thread. After following last year's thread, I noticed that very few people posted their thoughts on individual programs strengths/weaknesses/general feel in any significant detail after their interviews. I know that it is a long way off, but I think that it would be incredibly helpful for others if we were a bit more thorough in posting interview feedback this year.

Moozy, I only have anecdotal evidence, as I have never tried to submit LORs for which I did not waive my rights to view, but I have been told by multiple faculty members that they give less credence to letters from applicants who have not waived their right to view as they feel that there is higher potential for bias.

Members don't see this ad :)
Moozy, I don't know what is best, my PD last year said to my senior residents to give their requests with waiver in place (no right to see his lor). Thinking about it, I have a question, how do the programs we applied to, know whether we waived our right? Does our waiver is also uploaded along with LOR? I thought ERAS only uploads the LORs and the waiver/coverpage will not be. Anybody has any thoughts. But cougarblue's point makes sense to me, that waived ones may carry more value.
Am going to waive all my LORs.

Cougarblue, you made a good suggestion about interviews:thumbup:. Yes, we should be proactive about this. My suggestion is, we should have a post on the first page, where we can copy and paste the IV experiences of our mates, as soon as they post. Like a Wiki we see in the second post of some forums! :) Organised by hospital. Somebody has to take this up.
If moderator can take this up it will be great. If not one of us should. I can do it for Feb and March for sure. Not sure if I will be able to keep up in April (my ward month). If one of us is going to do it, here is my suggestion :)idea:hungover:on't know if it is against forum policies) - make a username (something like wiki) and share the password between us through private message. Make a single post with that username and use that post to update interview experiences. Hope I made this clear enough. All, Chip in with your thoughts.

Will add the request to my first post, requesting everyone to post their interview experiences as well.

Also one more suggestion, I will do this:
Lets try to make an excel sheet with the following info and host it on web:
Program name, PD name, his email id, co-ordinator id, interview dates offered.
Can probably include visa offered, strengths, weakness and other points.
You guys think of anything.

Thanks for your suggestion about LORS. As far as my understanding is that the letter writer writes a statement in the end saying that the LOR was waived and they themselves submit it to ERAS. I may submit the faculty letters as waived , a lil skeptical about the PD letter ( some seniors were not happy with his LOR ). Anyways.. I have time to think about that.

As for the suggestion by cougarblue &Arjun; agree about sharing program information... all of your ideas are good...

Last edited:
So, today I finally registered into My ERAS..will start researching into places where I will be applying.

Ok, seems all of us calmed down a little after the initial burst! :)

To kickstart things a little bit, I scanned the last year's thread again and marked out when the interviews were given. Most of them were in Jan and then Feb.
Am posting the list here as a guidelight for us this year

(Disclaimer: Tried to be accurate, but may have missed a few. There is no guarantee that univ/hospitals will offer interviews at the same time this year. Rejections were earlier in some cases. Also remember that this is as reported by studentdoctor forum members for last year which does not represent all the candidates. So this should be taken with a grain of salt and only as a very rough guide for our interview season.)

Format: Month, Name of hospital (# - no of interviews offered in that month and sometimes method of interview offering)

12/07Dec, Baylor, OHSU, Henry Ford(2), Thomas Jefferson

01/08 January
Thomas Jefferson
Upenn (snailmail)
Ucolo
Cleveland (2)
Univ of Florida
Wake forest
WashU (snailmail)
U of chicago
Ohio state
Temple (2)
Missourie -Columbi
MU south carolina (2)
Boston U
U Mich
Baylor
UKMC
Caritas @St. Eliza (4)
Albany medical college
U Florida
Yale (01/19) (2, snail mail)
Univ of Maryland
Wash Hospital center
UCSD
Pitt (snailmail)
Cook county
Virginia commonwealth (3)
U Virginia (snail mail)
Creighton (2)
Drexel
Case western/Univ of cleveland
Georgetown
UCI
Brown
UMKC
Wayne
UT-Memphis
RWJHS-UMDNJ (2)
Beth Israel NY
Nebraska (snailmail)
U of Alabama (snailmail)
UMDNJ - NJ (2)
UTMB galveston (2)
BU
Univ of Wash
Unif of Iowas
Univ of Arkansas
Rochester

02/08 Feb
Emory
Loyola
Case western metro (2)
New Mexico
Harvard
Cornell 2
Indiana
Buffalo
Northwestern
Stanford
Univ of IL, chicago
George Wash
USC LAC
Rochester
Univ of Cincinnati
Univ of Utah (2)
Cedars Sinai (3) (2/15)
UDMNJ/RWJ
Arizona
SUNY - downstate
harbor UCLA
Tennesse
SUNy - Stonybrook
Rush
UC Davis

03/08 March
U Mass
UKMC
Syracuse
MCOW
Loma linda
Georgetown
St.Lukes roosevelt
AECOM - Jacobi

Cook county stroger hospital in april

Thanks. Sure helps...
I am a little tied on floors.. will start CV preparation in october.. already requested LORS.

Here are some useful websites I gathered over this weekend. I found useful info particularly on the ACP website and thought it will be useful for all of us. So here we go,

ACP:thumbup:

Subspecialy training fellowship
http://www.acponline.org/residents_fellows/career_counseling/fs_train.htm
Tips for the first interview
http://www.acponline.org/residents_fellows/career_counseling/tips.htm
Soliciting letters of recommendation
http://www.acponline.org/residents_fellows/career_counseling/solicit.htm
Cover letter, Resue, CV
http://www.acponline.org/residents_fellows/career_counseling/letrescv.htm

For those of us who are planning on case presentation and poster presentation, these tips from AcP may be helpful,
http://www.acponline.org/residents_fellows/competitions/abstract/prepare/pos_pres.htm
http://www.acponline.org/residents_fellows/competitions/abstract/prepare/clinvin_pres.htm

From American Thoracic society
ATS - Fellowship
http://www.thoracic.org/sections/ca...ws-and-fellowships/choosing-a-fellowship.html

Best websites for information for Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Fellowship Applicants (where sdn forum is mentioned! :hardy:)
http://www.thoracic.org/sections/cl...al-care,-and-sleep-fellowship-applicants.html

http://www.thoracic.org/sections/cl...st-of-the-web/pages/sites-for-applicants.html

ATS reading list (looks like journal articles) for PCC physicians
http://www.thoracic.org/sections/ca...s-and-fellowships/ats-reading-list-intro.html

Does not hurt to review interview preparations for residency...:rolleyes:

Residency interview tips from Rush
http://www.rushu.rush.edu/studentlife/career/medint.html
Residency Interview from AMA
http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/6701.html
http://www.residencyandfellowship.com/Medical_Residency_Interview

If interested in getting your PS edited by professionals (I do not know how credible they are nor do I know how good they do, :confused:just came across)
http://www.mededits.com/
http://www.perfect-personal-statement.com/
Also usmleworld.com seems to be into this business as well!

Here is a synopsis/important summary/quotes of the last year's forum (or what I thought is important)!! Please note that I have not included author (forum member) name in most cases and my words are italicized.

Let me start of by arsa's wonderful quote:

"I wish all of us luck in the upcoming months so that on June 18th, all of us can come back to the forum and tell each other with joy that we did make it through thicks and thins.. standing beside and supporting each other..nameless, faceless yet bonded in friendship!!"

No better words to describe our journey than what is said above!! Here are some interview questions that were asked at some of the last season's interviews as reported by heliox:

1. Why did you choose pulmonary?
2. Why did you choose our program?
3. What will you bring to our program?
4. Are you interested in research?
5. If you are interested in research, are you interested in becoming an
academic/researcher/clinical scientist?
6. Will the amount of student loans you carry affect your decision?
7. How will you afford to continue in academics? Is this ok with your spouse?
8. What type of research (clinical or basic) would you prefer?
9. What are your favorite pulmonary disorders to treat, and why?
10. Can you describe your research to me? What made you perform this research? What drew you to research? Will you continue research at our program? Will you continue research therafter?

1. Why did you choose to go to a community program?
2. Why would you choose our program? It's in a small town, and you have never been here before? What exactly drew you to our program?
3. What is a current weakness that you have that you will need to improve prior to fellowship. Preferably, a weakness that is related to pulmonology.
4. Why specifically do you like pulmonology, or do you simply like critical care?
5. We have a particular trial [X], and it's methods are as follows. What methodological flaw is present in our study design. Will our results be applicable to most patients. Etc. (Not a trial described on the faculty page)
6. Why specifically does smoking lead to increased risk for pulmonary infections? (Made me go all the way down to the cellular level!!!)
7. What is the theoretical benefit of LVRS, and why is it not universally accepted? (The questioner is performing research in this area of medicine)

Some after interview impressions of the members:

Overall, I think the 1st question was the most difficult question to answer. I attended 10 interviews, and 8 programs hammered me on this question. My advice, pause before answering one of these loaded questions. Present your answer in outline format, which helped me organize my response. Also, consider buying a book titled "How to interview like an MBA". This book helped me tremendously.

Overall, my interviewers focused greatly on the research I performed in residency. That is the strength of my resume, and the primary reason I received multiple invitations to interview. So, if your resume is similar to mine then I would expect a similar line of questions.

PS: Hey arsa, grab an interviewing book from Barnes & Noble. I read the interviews form dummies, which was just ok. I'd recommend actually trying to read one at the store and leave it. There is only 20 pages or so that are helpful.

I'm trying to read the interviewers' recent research papers before I go, which has grown to become difficult. My first two programs each have 5 scheduled interviewers.

3 ppl including PD and chair interviewed me.. mostly trying to sell the program, qns were directed to my home program and my research. no awkward qns but the chair did pimp me with clinical case scenerios, which i fared ok.

Ive been to one already. The day started at 8:30 and ended at 2:30pm. I toured the hospital with the 3rd year fellow and then interviewed with 4 doctors. They asked the typical questions on the residency trail. Weakness/strength, research interests, etc. The program director asked me some questions but mainly he talked about upcoming developments and the program. The day was rather pleasant. I could have done better dodging those questions but it was my first one!

Now the interview and program impressions of our previous members:

Metrohealth is ok, 2 positions, and many internal candidates.AR they are very nice. The chairman and PD are very nice, the other attendings are very nice, the program coordinator is very sweet. the fellows are funny. they have a good clinical training. PD is pushing for more research as the fellow told me and that something I like.
i liked metrohealth as well....... good for a community program. they seemed to be increasing emphasis in research too.

arkansas has interventional bronch too but the person is leaving.

I just have done my interview in USC. It is an excellent program. I attended the ground round presented by the first year fellows, was really very good. The pathology is amazing. they have plenty of procedures. You work hard but at the end of your third year you know that you can work any where.

CCF is FMG friendly - I think only one of the fellows I met on my interview day was an AMG. I really liked the faculty and the PD is young and energetic. I would have ranked it higher but I want a more research oriented experience - the Clinic is more clinical but the training is no doubt awesome. Not sure what they're looking for in terms of credentials, but I'd definitely apply, it's a good program.

George Washington University:
Program director has been there for 7 yrs now and has been working hard on developing this program. Traditionally the anesthesia dept ran the ICU and the Pulmonary dept only had 2 pulmonologists. Now there are 6 faculty in the pulm/ccm division. the program is unique in that the 40-bed ICU is a combined medical/surgical/neurosurgical ICU. The attending on any given block are drawn from anesthesia, surgical intensivists or medicine-trained intensivists. Likewise, the housestaff team is made up of IM, surgical, and anesthesia residents. The director has been developing the research component of the program which is mostly clinically oriented. They rotate through the VA which can be an hour's drive depending on traffic. Transplant experience is at INOVA Fairfax. Facilties are modern and very nice but it's a small hospital (350 beds). I wonder about the patient diversity, it seemed like a pretty cush hospital compared to my home program. Interview day was a bit disorganized, only met 1 3rd yr fellow. 2 fellows per year.
Received some information from a GW graduate, and they felt that it was a good clinical program. Georgetown is the research heavy program in DC (obviously), but this is a good place to learn the field. The schedule is not too intense, which depending on your learning style may or may not be a good thing.

1. Georgetown: Run of the mill top # program, lots of research, and that's their #1 priority. If you want to enter academic medicine then this should be your number 1 of the three.
2. GW: A balance of clinical and research. Fellows have some flexibility in their training, and can tailor the curriculum to fit either track.
WHC: Clinical Program. Great educational experience, but is very clinically oriented. Good if not great hospital, and overall produced good clinical pulmonologists. (did I say clinical enough?)

Washington Hospital Center: Program director has great credentials. Very structured curriculum with an entire month of protected education for 1st year fellows. MICU is old and bronch suite leaves something to be desired. Rotate through the SICU and the NIH ICU where the fellow is on-call overnight. Opportunities to do research at NIH. Month of echocardiography. Exposure to interventional bronchs but not as many procedures as at Maryland. Lung transplant at Inova Fairfax. 2 fellows per year.

Georgetown: Faculty that I met were very friendly. Facilities are OK. Fair research opportunities. They do the VATS (rather than CT surgery). Moderate call schedule for fellows with some overnight calls. They do lots of cyber-knife and lots of procedures. Fellows rotate through Washington Hospital Center for their SICU and CCU rotations (cardiology program is at WHC). Lung transplant rotation available at Inova Fairfax. 2 fellows per year.

I interviewed at UMKC, and here is my assessment.
1. Hospitals: Two w/ a county and private.
a) The county is your standard public hospital, and will provide an opportunity to do plenty of procedures.
b) Private hospital has a different relationship with the fellows. They don't carry the admit pager, don't take call, but the attendings select the "most interesting" cases for you to see.
2. Research
a) Basic: Phd and MS people to help you perform/choose research project. So, better than most. Also, grant $$.
b) Clinical: Stronger of the two. You'll be able to jump onto an established project EASILY.
3. City
a) Affordable housing with a short commute
b) Downtown is completing a "revitalization" project so should be nice by 2009.
4. Fellows
a) friendly
b) didn't spend too much time with them during the interview so cannot comment further.

Wayne State; OK program, heavy on Crit Care, much less so on Pulm, plenty of Sleep. Extra calls are paid as moonlite, Interventionalist maybe coming there nex year. 3 hospitals connected, facility old; no transplant, no ECMO , no MARS, Not terribly impressed with academics.

Univ of Wis: Great program, even split of Pulm and Crit, Asthma, COPD, PHTN and Critical Care are special areas, some world famous faculty, very laid back, THE ONLY VA LUNG TRANSPLANT CENTER IN US, lots of moonliting if wanted, they encourage subspecializing track while in training, ALL bells and whistles, good grand rounds. VERY IMPRESSED.

Suny brooklyn is totally clinical oriented training. they rotate thr 4-5 hospitals.
Case western is all about research ..
thomas jefferson was also good program..

Cleveland Clinic - Very clinically strong, just massive numbers of bronchs, excellent interventional experience, MICU is expanding now, incredibly sick and complicated MICU patients; research experience is ill-defined - you get a ton of "elective" time in your 2nd and 3rd years and you can pool it to use for basic research but you seem to be on your own to arrange that. On the primary pulmonary service, you have no residents - you're the intern.

University of Pittsburgh - Great balanced clinical and research experience, their stated goal is to get you into an academic faculty career and they have the track record to prove it. If you don't want 18 mos-3 yrs of research, it's not for you. Tons of residents and students, zillions of ICU beds, transplants coming out the wazoo. Overnight call in the MICU all three years, but very infrequent.

University of Maryland: awesome program director. Balanced program between pulm and CC. Brand new 29-bed MICU. VAMC is right across a bridge. lots of opportunities in basic and clinic research. active lung transplant program. CT guided and interventional bronchs. 1st yr fellows get about 100 bronchs! Cardiology has taken over Pulm HTN but pulm fellows can do an elective there. Very nice facilities. Strong thoracic radiology department. Very cush call schedule (plus or minus). Very flexible curriculum with LOTS of elective time in 3rd year. 4 fellows per year

Here are some recommendations for books from the previous thread:

1. ICU Book: Marino
Ok text, sort of written like the Dubin's EKG book. The reason I say this is not to say that it uses the exact format of Q/A, but rather how it breaks down topics to the minute detail then builds your understanding from their. Ok, but sorta long.

2. Washington Manual Subspecialty Series
I liked this text, but its a little too short/succinct. Not enough details. Still, a good review for interviews where you feel they may pimp you.

3. Felson's principles of chest roentgenology (hate that word)
THE DUBIN's of Chest X-rays. Very good little text, but not directly PCCM. ( I love it! Recommended by a radiology resident who used it while he was a prelim intern)

4. Current PCCM (did not buy)
Written by very good professors at Univ of Colorado. Similar in content to the Wash Subspecialty, and I skimmed the two and chose WMSS. Why? I honestly chose it because the font/format was more appealing to me. Content very similar.

And a very good linky by Jaynecobb
http://drslounge.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5629018&postcount=26

Also these thoughts about airway intubations are pertinent to us as well:

Airway Management for Pulm / CC fellows

In my travels during interview season I was really surprised to find that some programs have almost no formal training in airway management... Yes, you can do an elective anesthesia month, but it seems after that, Anesthesia is called for all intubations. These were otherwise fine programs that I'd be happy to match at:

Tufts = a few supervised intubations each year per fellow
UMass = same
St. Elizabeth's = same

Contrast this to:
Henry Ford = 1 to 2 tubes per on call shift
University of VT = about 1 every other call shift
NYU = tubes out the wazoo

Programs that require in house call fellows get good at intubation. Otherwise the experience is hit or miss. I personally believe that a pulm / C.C. fellow ought to be competent at airway management...
Does this mean first pass success 100% of the time? No, we will never be as good as anesthesia or ER (Just due to volume). But geez, it is clearly within the scope of our practice.... Seems to me most of us ought to be able to do it (or at least attempt it with competence) when it needs to be done.

Good to see ya all getting ready for the season... I remember how stressful it was for me about this time of the yr till feb.. then a new story began with all the ivs...

Will b glad to answer ur qns.. feel free to ask..

N yes.. best of luck guys.. will be working with some of you in UK lexington in 010/011!

I'm applying for a different fellowship, but I think some of the links in this thread are really helpful for any fellowship. Thanks arjun.

Hey ARSA, Thank you for offering us the help, we do greatly appreciate it and it sure will help us. I guess questions will start flowing later as we come into Dec/Jan. Congrats to you (though belated!) and good luck to you as well. :)

Carrigallen, you are welcome, glad that they were of help to you. Good luck in your search for fellowship

Good to see ya all getting ready for the season... I remember how stressful it was for me about this time of the yr till feb.. then a new story began with all the ivs...

Will b glad to answer ur qns.. feel free to ask..

N yes.. best of luck guys.. will be working with some of you in UK lexington in 010/011!

Here is the info about all pulmonary cc programs on google docs in an excel sheet. Standard diclaimer applies that - Information may not be accurate. If you see any mistakes, kindly let me know and I will be happy to update. Info obtained from various websites.
I have not yet included the visa status column; ASAIK all programs are fine with J1. If you know which programs offer H1 please let me know through private message and I will update the sheet.

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dc7fksm8_0gxkvvxcp

You can copy and paste a row/s into your own spreadsheet program and use it as a mail merge for emailing the program/s you are interested in.

Again, Please let me know if you see any mistakes or if you feel any other information that is helpful that can be added. Thank you all

H1 offered by....Emory, Tufts, Brown, St Eliabeth Caritas, Albert Einsterin - Beth israel (NY) and Montefiore (NY), ?Uni of Loiusiana(shereveport), CWRU (metrohealth), Newark Beth Israel, UMass, Thomas Jeff Univ, Albert Einstein (PA), Drexel (PA), UPMC (PA), Uni of Iowa. Uni of wisconisan, Temple, Drexel, Duke, Uni of NM, Rush, Uni of Alabama

Last edited:
The following three posts will be used for interview experiences (per alphabetical listing of staes).

1st post will have programs from states AL, AR, AK, CA, CT, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA
2nd post will host programs from ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, NE, NH, NJ, NY
3rd post will have programs from NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, PR, RI, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WV, WI.

These posts should have the following info - Screen name of the person who recieved interview, interview dates offered, and interview experience.

It will be huge assistance if you can describe your interview experience along with the following info:
Strengths, Weaknesses, Clinical vs Research, Friendliness, Interventional pulmonology experience, Call schedule, No of fellows present and the general feel.

So I request to please Post a detailed experience as that helps all of us and also those who will tread this path in the next few years.

Rejections
Univ of missouri@ kansas 12/05 rejection
Univ of colorado 12/05 rejection moozy, icudr, Nekoisaac
MUSC 12/15 Rejection - pmdoc
Indiana - 12/24 moozy, pmdoc
Univ of Michigan - pmdoc
WHC/Georgetown - 12/31 moozy
Georgetown Uni - 12/31 ICUDR
Harvard 01/05 - arjun29, drzz,
Upenn 01/09 - moozy, arjun29, coolpulmo
waynestate dmc - 01/07 bronch007
John hopkins - arjun29, pmdoc, moozy, coolpulmo
henry ford - pmdoc, bronch007
univ of nebraska - bronch007,
UCSD - DrZZ
Ohio State - Jaynecobb, PMdoc, coolpulmo
OHSu - Moozy
emory - coolpulmo
univ Arizona,-coolpulmo
USC - coolpulmo
St elizabeth - Moozy

Interviews
Colorado (12/5 email) - radinsj
Yale 12/16 interview (email) - moozy, radinsj
Pittsburgh (12/17 snailmail) - radinsj
Univ of alabama - 12/18 email - arjun29
Henry ford - email icudr
Michigan (12/22 - email) - radinsj
BethIsrael,NY 12/29 - pmdoc, coolpulmo,
Harvard- 12/31 - email souljah
Uni of Chicago 12/30 - souljah
UCSF 01/02- radinsj
Univ of Virginia - radinsj, moozy,
Thomas Jefferson - radinsj,
Iowa - gagolden
Nebraska - gagolden
Upenn - 01/09 radinsj, souljah1
vanderbilt - 01/09 radinsj
albert einstein- montefiore - Moozy
Brown - 1/16 - radsinj
Cleveland Clinic 1/16 via e-mail- doctor779
University of Minn - gagolden
Oregon (Heard from them ~3 weeks ago via email) - Nekoisaac
U of Arizona (~7 days ago via email) - Nekoisaac
UC Davis (a couple days ago via post) - Nekoisaac
USC - DrZZ
Buffalo - Kary
Indiana University, - 1/22 - JayneCobb
Creighton University, 1/22 -JayneCobb

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview experiences statewise
AL
AR
AK
CA
CT
DC
FL
GA
IL
IN
IA
KS
KY
LA

Last edited:
Interview experiences

ME
MD
MA
MI
MN
MS
MO
NE
NH
NJ
NY

Last edited:
Nc
oh
ok
or
pa
pr
ri
sc
tn
tx
ut
va
vt
wa
wv
wi

Last edited:
Finally I got some time! Worked on the programs info and got it into excel sheet. Link to sheet is above in post # 26.

Slowly getting my application moving along. Worked on CAF in ERAS today. Have to update my CV and request LORs now.

To jaynecobb, moozy, and cougarblue: If any of you are interested in helping to update the excel sheet or interview experience, will appreciate it. Please private message me.
Any more suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
Finally I got some time! Worked on the programs info and got it into excel sheet. Link to sheet is above in post # 26.

Slowly getting my application moving along. Worked on CAF in ERAS today. Have to update my CV and request LORs now.

To jaynecobb, moozy, and cougarblue: If any of you are interested in helping to update the excel sheet or interview experience, will appreciate it. Please private message me.
Any more suggestions are welcome.

I've pretty well got my CV done, got 3 LORs going to try and get 1 more. I'm hoping to have most everything done by Oct 15th.

I'd be more than happy to help, it's only a matter of finding some time when i'm not working, not on call, not moonlighting, not working on my research, or not asleep, so should be easy :D

AMG or IMG: AMG
Presently working as: Senior Resident at a large university program
Step scores: 240-255
Research experience: Working on it now
Publications/Posters: Will be submitting to ATS
Extra qualifications: Taking next year as a chief resident
No of places applying to: 5-10

Hello All,
I was going through same process last year. and matched for fellowship at my own program. Here are my tips :

1. Apply early. request for letters now, sometimes attendings take a long time to write. Letters should be waived preferably. Send your letters to ERAS early whenever it opens. otherwise in the end , it s so crowed they will scan your letter 7-10 after receiving it. Apply early, thats the key.

2. Research is very very important . if you have published , its great. but you should atleast be involved in research project. most of the decent programs cared for that. before interview, know your research well. read the literature about that topic. they want to know if you really understand what you are doing or you are ust a data collector.
Try to go to ATS meeting, it is at right time in MAY . Before the rank submission list. I think deadline is october. try to submit something there. you can meet most of the program directors there and remind them that you are interested in there program. if you are presenting , you can invite/ em ail them to see your poster. basically you have to sell yourself that you are very much interested in this specialty and you love it.

3. Try to schedule your interviews early. because in the end you may get more interview calls but you wont hav available dates to schedule.
for fellowship most programs have 5-6 dates only. so limited choice. work around your schedule.most inteviews will be in end of feb to march.
arrive on time for interview. i arrived 15- 20 minutes early on my interviews. this way I was able to chat with important ppl like program director and coordinator etc.

4. your best chances to match are at your own program or where you have rotated etc.
other than NY , most programs prefer their own candidates .

5. you can even write 2 personal statements . like if you applying to university program - academic orientd , you sttress more on research and accademia. but if its clinical program , you can stress more on clinical stuff. I wrote onyl one , but later met ppl who had written diffrent personal statements on different program.

6. Very few programs will stress on Step 3 , whether you have taken it or not. Like NJ porgrams , i guess its mandatory to take in first year. I didnt take it early. but later at the interview such programs stressed that they need step 3 result before rank list as its there policy , they dont take people otherwise. ( I took it afterwards though, once you are in interview proocess its hard to find time. ) But big programs like Case western , cleveland clinic, thomas jefferson didnt care about it. Only programs I know who cared were NJ porgrams. so if you have time its worth taking it .

About the list of the programs and name of PD and phone number - its availablke on ATS website . www.thoracic.org

during the interview season , stay in touch with program coordinators as well. they have a say in rank list as well.

well, I think thats all for now. if you have any questions feel free to ask..
Good luck to everyone.
I think thats all for now.

Sure will help out with the updates. I am on Cards rotation next month.. so hopefully will have some time. Already requested LORs from my PD, 2 pulm/Cc attendings... a little confused as to who should ask about the 3rd letter.. both attendings in Pulm/cc are senior and reputable but we work with them briefly... so still debating... i hope the letters are ready by october so that they send and all is uploaded by november.

My research is starting next week.. so lookimg fwd to it.. great advice by doogle; really appreciate it. I intend to complete my abstract by october so can present in ATS.. lets see how that goes.

Still have to work on CAF... Time is passing by so quickly.. lots of stuff to do....

Hey everybody!!
With Oct 15 almost here i'm guessing everyones got their CAF all filled out? What are we doing with the USMLE transcripts? Do we release them? myERAS says its "not required"??? How else do I communicate to the the programs what my USMLE scores were like??

Hey everybody!!
With Oct 15 almost here i'm guessing everyones got their CAF all filled out? What are we doing with the USMLE transcripts? Do we release them? myERAS says its "not required"??? How else do I communicate to the the programs what my USMLE scores were like??
Release them, definitely. It's "not required," but all the programs I applied to wanted the scores. That IS the way you communicate your scores. :thumbup:

Hello all again! Many days since I was here, Busy between wards and making my CV compettive! Seems like activity in this thread has come to a complete stop. We should be talking more in the coming days I hope,
Guess everyone is in applying mode now. I finally got my SOP done and just completed my CAF and assigned my LORs. Still waiting to submit, as I think I may be able to sqeeze in an abstract in early-middle December.
Did anybody actually submitted the application? When are you guys planning on submitting?
Moozy and Jaynecobb, please check your PMs
doggle5- thanks for sharing your thoughts

Forgot to ask my question!

If an institute has both CC and Pulm/CC programs, what are the advantages and disadvantages from a pulmCC fellow point of view?
Am not sure if I should apply at such institutes? Will we get enough exposure to critical care and ICU procedures?

Please chip in with your thoughts, thank you

I've not submitted yet, it just opened a day or 2 ago, I'm still waiting on 1 LOR to arrive and I'm still buffing my PS. I'm thinking within the next week I'll be good to go.

i have only 2 lORS in by now.. just completed my CAF today and buffing my PS. I am also waiting to submit a poster this week before I send in my CV. Also my 3rd LOR is yet to reach ERAS.

Have you guys made your list of programs you will be applying to. My application has changed a little as now I will be applying to programs that sponsor H1B and accept EAD as in my case it is 50-50.

My list so far has 25 programs, am yet to get answers from some NYC programs as to what their requirements are.

Arjun.. got your PM - will be updating soon. as for your question, I am not really sure. UMDNJ isone such program with CC as well as Pulm CC positions.. I have heard training is good there..

H1 by....Emory, Tufts, Brown, St Eliabeth Caritas, Albert Einsterin - Beth israel (NY) and Montefiore (NY), Uni of Loiusiana(shereveport), CWRU (metrohealth), Newark Beth Israel, UMass, Thomas Jeff, Albert Einstein (PA), Drexel (PA), UPMC (PA), Uni of Iowa.
Uni of wisconisan,

Last edited:
Anybody else has thoughts about joining a PulmCC program in an institute that offers CC program as well.

Kary - welcome to forum. I missed your post when I was scanning the thread yesterday!!

Thanks for the H1 update moozy. :) That sure helps many.

H1 offered by as per my search:

Emory, Tufts, Brown, St Eliabeth Caritas, Albert Einsterin - Beth israel (NY) and Montefiore (NY), Uni of Loiusiana(shereveport), CWRU (metrohealth), Newark Beth Israel, UMass, Thomas Jeff, Albert Einstein (PA), Drexel (PA), UPMC (PA), Uni of Iowa.

If anyone has more, kindly post.

Hi guys,

This is my first post here. I went through more or less all the posts in this thread...the info seems very useful. Would like to keep in touch with all of you throughout the interview season.

IMG
current-Chief resident (community prog)
scores-88/80:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:
research-poster pres at ATS
case studies-3(for poster competition)

Honestly, do I have a chance?

Thanks in advance,
pmdoc

chance?? why not? being a cheif certainly helps too..

Last edited:
welcome pmdoc, glad to see people coming in,
I surely think you have good chance particularly being chief. good luck,

Thanks Arjun and Moozy.

Looking forward to the months ahead. :)

Hi every one,

This is my first post here.You guys are doing a great job so far.

About me:
Uni program
87/87/76
1 Publication
1 Research grant
UK work experience 5 yrs.
Apply for H1 sponsoring programs.

Planning to apply for about 50 programs
Uploaded my application
Already sent my LOR'S.

All set to start applying.

To keep on flowing, lets start discussing about programs a little. If you know anything about the following programs, good and bad, will appreciate your info.

Univ of Arkansas, Univ of Alabama, Univ of Florida in Gainsville, Jackson in Miami, Univ of Louiville, Univ of Kentucky (I think arsa may be able to chip in on this), Tulane univ, Univ of North Carolina, Cedars-Sinai in Los angeles.

drnomimi thanks for joining in and welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.