PAs/NPs attempting to "cancel culture" the AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're an MS4. You're telling me, compliance...and pressure are not clinically relevant when discussing vessels. You literally just said there's acceptable places to puncture, strict monitoring protocols and possible loss of blood flow to an extremity.

Bad things happen when you assume you know what you're doing. You're a Medical student, who has an entrenched opinion before even practicing medicine, calling others less than yourself if they disagree with your opinion on practicing medicine. Please stop commenting on peoples intelligence. It's really not a good look.

as an m1, can I has an opinion on this

:pacifier:

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Get rid of private equity from healthcare. Fire all admin who are willing to sabotage patient care in favor of cost cutting. Get rid of patient satisfaction scores.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
C5972A75-F34C-4BF4-B3B0-957FEF55239A.jpeg

Just checked. Turns out this is in fact real life.

• Angry
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
A bunch of the DNP’s on this thread DNP: Mirroring the Path of DO? seem to know their limitations and are striving for more. Maybe ya’ll should pull back on the angst and insults and take NP’s individually instead of as a whole.

Hmm, except it’s your lobbying body and leadership pushing for unsafe practice and endangering patients. Believe it or not we can fight back against the AANP trying to harm patients and also take on specific NPs who are doing so—at the same time!

Reactions: 3 users
A bunch of the DNP’s on this thread DNP: Mirroring the Path of DO? seem to know their limitations and are striving for more. Maybe ya’ll should pull back on the angst and insults and take NP’s individually instead of as a whole.
Maybe you should address all of those studies like you said you would. Then we’ll take a *holistic* approach to evaluating NPs. Regardless of what individual NPs say, your leadership is putting a big fat target on your backs by advocating for less physician supervision.

Reactions: 4 users
This thread is very "I, too, am an undisclosed intellectual and I'll explain it all to you one day if you're lucky."

Save your breath, fellas. You can't have a conversation with someone who doesn't know what they don't know and has no plan in ever admitting it. You're arguing against an entrenched midlevel and a disconnected from real life admin.

*Sorry I forgot to disclose I'm an MS4 LOL

Reactions: 6 users
Hmm, except it’s your lobbying body and leadership pushing for unsafe practice and endangering patients. Believe it or not we can fight back against the AANP trying to harm patients and also take on specific NPs who are doing so—at the same time!

Don’t let facts get in the way of your character assasination of an entire profession but I see post after post of new grad NP’s who want more time in training, feel uncomfortable with their skill set, and are seeking actively seeking supervision. Sure doesn’t fit your narrative about how dangerous all of us NP’s are.

Don’t let facts get in the way of your character assasination of an entire profession but I see post after post of new grad NP’s who want more time in training, feel uncomfortable with their skill set, and are seeking actively seeking supervision. Sure doesn’t fit your narrative about how dangerous all of us NP’s are.
Umm, the fact that they have graduated and are legally allowed to practice but aren't comfortable with their skill set doesn't bother you?

Personally, that shows me that those people are very dangerous. I will give credit, at least they recognize this to be the case.

Reactions: 8 users
Umm, the fact that they have graduated and are legally allowed to practice but aren't comfortable with their skill set doesn't bother you?

Personally, that shows me that those people are very dangerous. I will give credit, at least they recognize this to be the case.

It does bother me and I’ve stated that umpteen times before but the only narrative on SDN is how NP’s are awful people destroying civilization as we know it, I just thought I’d mix it up and say something different for a change of pace.

They had the opportunity to apply MD/DO and either chose not to or couldn’t make the cut. I think most NPs could’ve went PA, which also has superior training. The problem is all of these options require more effort and commitment. Forgive me for not feeling sorry for woefully underprepared “providers” who didn’t care enough about their future patients to pursue a rigorous education.

Should the system turn itself on its head to accommodate those who took the easy way out?

Members don't see this ad :)
The dangerous path all of this is going down is exactly why, months ago, I argued against situations such like a nurse (or anyone who has not gone through the Match themselves really) being in charge of the Match. It's one of those "give them an inch" type things.

They had the opportunity to apply MD/DO and either chose not to or couldn’t make the cut. I think most NPs could’ve went PA, which also has superior training. The problem is all of these options require more effort and commitment. Forgive me for not feeling sorry for woefully underprepared “providers” who didn’t care enough about their future patients to pursue a rigorous education.

Should the system turn itself on its head to accommodate those who took the easy way out?

Typical SDN response. How about my proving the individual new grad NP’s care about patient safety and want more time and more training. It’s certainly why I choose the closely supervised position im working in so I can learn and benefit from the expert knowledge of the physicians around me. But please, continue the SDN echo chamber about how all NP’s are coming to kill you and your family through their arrogance and ignorance and ignore all these posts that show the opposite.

Typical SDN response. How about my proving the individual new grad NP’s care about patient safety and want more time and more training. It’s certainly why I choose the closely supervised position im working in so I can learn and benefit from the expert knowledge of the physicians around me. But please, continue the SDN echo chamber about how all NP’s are coming to kill you and your family through their arrogance and ignorance and ignore all these posts that show the opposite.
You don't think your posts here show arrogance?

You don't think your posts here show arrogance?
You mean my posts that have always said NP's don't have enough education to practice right out of school and that NP school doesn't give the educational rigor needed to practice medicine? All those posts I've made over the years? No, I don't think those posts show arrogance. But go ahead, tell me how in your mind they do.

My point is there are established avenues to obtain better training and more knowledge. The majority of NPs don’t pursue them. Sure you “proved” that some random people, apparently including yourself, want more education and training. Well no ones holding a gun to your head saying you can’t have it. It’s no ones fault that you can’t get it through more upper level nursing courses. If you want better training than go get it and stop playing the victim while cashing a six figure check. I don’t feel sorry for you.

Reactions: 5 users
My point is there are established avenues to obtain better training and more knowledge. The majority of NPs don’t pursue them. Sure you “proved” that some random people, apparently including yourself, want more education and training. Well no ones holding a gun to your head saying you can’t have it. It’s no ones fault that you can’t get it through more upper level nursing courses. If you want better training than go get it and stop playing the victim while cashing a six figure check. I don’t feel sorry for you.
Who's playing the victim? Nice gas lighting. I'm just pointing out the SDN hyperbole isn't completely accurate.

It's very in character for an NP to use the term "prove" wrong. It goes hand in hand with the lack of statistical education and lack of training in analyzing research that is so obvious.

Reactions: 2 users
It's very in character for an NP to use the term "prove" wrong. It goes hand in hand with the lack of statistical education and lack of training in analyzing research that is so obvious.
I know those posts slowed your NP hate roll down quite a bit. Hard to get a full head of steam when I send you links of NP's worried about how they need more training. By all means, continue painting 200,000 people with your broad brush. Don't let me slow you down, it makes you guys look oh so good over here on SDN public boards.

Who's playing the victim? Nice gas lighting. I'm just pointing out the SDN hyperbole isn't completely accurate.
How about instead of worrying about critics on SDN you guys go and fix what's wrong in the first place? Silencing critics isn't fixing the issue. Police your own and don't be complicit in their terrible decisions on an individual and national level.

Oh wait, I forgot the only people the nursing profession is tough on is their own RN students (but not NP students, obviously and comically) and physicians.

Threads like this remind me of a very cogent and relatable old sports quote by a U Miami football player during their dominant years:
"If you don't like us dancing then don't let us get in the end zone."

NP defense: no pride or self policing and 3 months of shadowing

Sounds like the answer is better defense not worrying about SDN.

How about instead of worrying about critics on SDN you guys go and fix what's wrong in the first place? Silencing critics isn't fixing the issue. Police your own and don't be complicit in their terrible decisions on an individual and national level.

Oh wait, I forgot the only people the nursing profession is tough on is their own RN students (but not NP students, obviously and comically) and physicians.

Threads like this remind me of a very cogent and relatable old sports quote by a U Miami football player during their dominant years:
"If you don't like us dancing then don't let us get in the end zone."

NP defense: no pride or self policing and 3 months of shadowing

Sounds like the answer is better defense not worrying about SDN.
I am fixing my own problem by choosing a highly supervised role where I can learn from extremely competent physicians around me. I know a lot of NP's who are doing the exact same thing. You want me to attack the NP lobby as a NP? How about you try to destroy the medical school you're attending because of a grievance you have, see how well that works out for your career?

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 users

Fact: NPs graduate with 2 years of courses, the vast majority of which are nursing theory and lobbying related—many NP schools don’t even have a single course on pathophysiology

Fact: the minimum amount of clinical hours for an NP is 500, which can be done in any capacity (most often shadowing) in any specialty—the average medical student graduates with 5,000 clinical hours in all the core specialties, including intense sub-Is, and the average primary care physician gets 15,000 clinical hours by the time they graduate residency, or 30 times the amount required for NPs

Fact: the average NP actually gets about 800 clinical hours, which is still 19 times less than the average primary care doc

Fact: after meeting these minimum requirements, the NP can go work independently in half the states in any specialty—even one completely different from the one they shadowed in during school

Fact: the licensing exam for NPs is a single test of entirely first-order questions, many of which are unrelated to medicine and are focused on lobbying and advancing clinical practice rights—a physician has to take 4 step exams, the third of which is a 2-day exam, in order to get a license, at which point they still can’t practice independently

Fact: NPs are 20x more likely to prescribe opioids than physicians

Fact: NPs have been exempt from the sunshine act and are not required to be reported to CMS for contributions from drug companies, and NPs are more likely to prescribe more expensive drugs—in fact 50% of NPs surveyed say they would prescribe drugs they are told about at pharm sponsored events (and 90% of NPs say it’s appropriate to go to those)

Fact: NPs are capable of providing care equivalent to a physician about 55% of the time when appropriately trained and supervised—so they are still providing inadequate care 45% of the time even when supervised!

Fact: there has never been a single study done that looked at NPs practicing without supervision and compared it to physicians—every study allowed the NPs to consult physicians or have the physicians correct their mistakes

Fact: the studies most often quoted by NPs for showing equivalence have a p value of 0.8 and 0.9, which means that it is almost 100% due to random chance and is about as far from significant as you can possibly get

Fact: NPs consult more, prescribe more inappropriate antibiotics, use more imaging, prescribe more expensive medications, prescribe more opioids, and order more tests to get the same or worse results

The only thing the facts are getting in the way of is the AANP and hospitals lining their pockets with more money at the expense of patients. Any NP that supports independent practice is supporting endangering and harming patients.

Reactions: 15 users
I know those posts slowed your NP hate roll down quite a bit. Hard to get a full head of steam when I send you links of NP's worried about how they need more training. By all means, continue painting 200,000 people with your broad brush. Don't let me slow you down, it makes you guys look oh so good over here on SDN public boards.
As a physician in training I don't really get too worked up over anecdata. They teach that in medical school, thankfully.

I am fixing my own problem by choosing a highly supervised role where I can learn from extremely competent physicians around me. I know a lot of NP's who are doing the exact same thing. You want me to attack the NP lobby as a NP? How about you try to destroy the medical school you're attending because of a grievance you have, see how well that works out for your career?

Ah yes, the old “I think it’s a problem but I won’t do anything about it and how dare you suggest I stick out my own neck to protect patients from my horrible lobbying organization” argument. If as many NPs who claim they don’t support independent practice actually stood up and spoke out against it, we wouldn’t have the problem we have now. But they won’t. Instead they’ll continue to criticize physicians and med students and profit off any expansions the lobby makes while they can pretend it’s not them, but the bad apples.

Ah yes, the old “I think it’s a problem but I won’t do anything about it and how dare you suggest I stick out my own neck to protect patients from my horrible lobbying organization” argument. If as many NPs who claim they don’t support independent practice actually stood up and spoke out against it, we wouldn’t have the problem we have now. But they won’t. Instead they’ll continue to criticize physicians and med students and profit off any expansions the lobby makes while they can pretend it’s not them, but the bad apples.
And physicians are out here OVER-training. I mean peds hospitalist fellowship?!?! ****ing lol why not just be nicu NP and swat at med student hands in 10% of the time.

The dichotomy is incredible.

Edit: Alright, I'm done with this thread. My legs are getting tired from jumping to reach the rim.

Anecdotes are anecdotes. Stop playing dumb. You know as well as I that the vast majority of NPs (and just people in general) will prioritize compensation and work/life balance over all else when picking a career. Believe it or not, random people posting on the internet that they’re dissatisfied with the quality of their education isn’t actually evidence to suggest that even a significant minority of NPs are capable of recognizing their limitations.

And they can wish their training was better all they want. But when they take a six figure job with supervision that’s really only a formality instead of making the sacrifices everyone here does to be a good clinician then they’re very much conforming to the “SDN hyperbole.” And I know that you know that the majority of them do just that.

PS: If you consider that gaslighting, then you really shouldn’t go to med school after all lol.

• Haha

Are you out there in the community actively trying to destroy the physicians who are making 1m a year running mid level mills and hurting your future? I doubt it. Hypocrisy. I see you complaining a lot of SDN. I doubt it’s going any further than that.

• Haha
  • Wow
  • Dislike
Anecdotes are anecdotes. Stop playing dumb. You know as well as I that the vast majority of NPs (and just people in general) will prioritize compensation and work/life balance over all else when picking a career. Believe it or not, random people posting on the internet that they’re dissatisfied with the quality of their education isn’t actually evidence to suggest that even a significant minority of NPs are capable of recognizing their limitations.

And they can wish their training was better all they want. But when they take a six figure job with supervision that’s really only a formality instead of making the sacrifices everyone here does to be a good clinician then they’re very much conforming to the “SDN hyperbole.” And I know that you know that the majority of them do just that.

PS: If you consider that gaslighting, then you really shouldn’t go to med school after all lol.

It’s true, I’m not making the sacrifices you guys are, but that doesn’t mean I can’t work hard, study a lot, and be a good clinician. A lot of NP’s are trying to do that, you guys need you open your eyes to that.

Are you out there in the community actively trying to destroy the physicians who are making 1m a year running mid level mills and hurting your future? I doubt it. Hypocrisy. I see you complaining a lot of SDN. I doubt it’s going any further than that.
Well duh, he's a medical student. Doing what you suggest would likely end very poorly for him.

• Haha

Solid ad hominem. And yes, I joined PPP and actively contribute. I also have volunteered with them to support efforts to both limit independent practice for midlevels and to identify and force consequences on physicians who are inadequately supervising, as they are contributing to patient harm.

Try again.

You still haven’t disputed any facts, and are just resorting to ad hominems and goalpost moving. You might want to quit while you’re behind.

• Haha
Fact: NPs graduate with 2 years of courses, the vast majority of which are nursing theory and lobbying related—many NP schools don’t even have a single course on pathophysiology

Fact: the minimum amount of clinical hours for an NP is 500, which can be done in any capacity (most often shadowing) in any specialty—the average medical student graduates with 5,000 clinical hours in all the core specialties, including intense sub-Is, and the average primary care physician gets 15,000 clinical hours by the time they graduate residency, or 30 times the amount required for NPs

Fact: the average NP actually gets about 800 clinical hours, which is still 19 times less than the average primary care doc

Fact: after meeting these minimum requirements, the NP can go work independently in half the states in any specialty—even one completely different from the one they shadowed in during school

Fact: the licensing exam for NPs is a single test of entirely first-order questions, many of which are unrelated to medicine and are focused on lobbying and advancing clinical practice rights—a physician has to take 4 step exams, the third of which is a 2-day exam, in order to get a license, at which point they still can’t practice independently

Fact: NPs are 20x more likely to prescribe opioids than physicians

Fact: NPs have been exempt from the sunshine act and are not required to be reported to CMS for contributions from drug companies, and NPs are more likely to prescribe more expensive drugs—in fact 50% of NPs surveyed say they would prescribe drugs they are told about at pharm sponsored events (and 90% of NPs say it’s appropriate to go to those)

Fact: NPs are capable of providing care equivalent to a physician about 55% of the time when appropriately trained and supervised—so they are still providing inadequate care 45% of the time even when supervised!

Fact: there has never been a single study done that looked at NPs practicing without supervision and compared it to physicians—every study allowed the NPs to consult physicians or have the physicians correct their mistakes

Fact: the studies most often quoted by NPs for showing equivalence have a p value of 0.8 and 0.9, which means that it is almost 100% due to random chance and is about as far from significant as you can possibly get

Fact: NPs consult more, prescribe more inappropriate antibiotics, use more imaging, prescribe more expensive medications, prescribe more opioids, and order more tests to get the same or worse results

The only thing the facts are getting in the way of is the AANP and hospitals lining their pockets with more money at the expense of patients. Any NP that supports independent practice is supporting endangering and harming patients.
In the interest of fairness, I don’t think NPs should be given a hard time about more expensive meds. They typically see healthier patients with private insurance in a larger proportion than physicians do. I mean SGLT inhibitors are awesome and your typical senior citizen on a budget is stuck with 70/30 or sulfonylureas.

Attacking the NP lobby would end very poorly for me, too.
This is not true. Your path is work independently or work for a doctor. Neither cares if you don't pay your NP dues or tell your militant colleagues to calm down on Twitter or even *gasp* report people practicing poorly. No one that pays your bills has a gun to your head to be complicit in this. That's a myth I know first hand indoctrinated by faculty at these NP and CRNA schools that is totally unfounded in real life. Everyone leaves CRNA school, for example, thinking they MUST pay their AANA dues or else they will be blackballed out of jobs. This is simply not true.

A medical student must do residency. Being labeled not a team player even in an innocuous thing online has actual ramifications to careers. An attending physician has far fewer worries in this department as long as they are a decent professional at work.

It's not even in the same universe. Also, these young guns in training now actually do give a **** and are serious about rebuilding what boomer docs broke. Expect no quarter once these greedy bastards retire. We aren't training or giving safe harbor.

In the interest of fairness, I don’t think NPs should be given a hard time about more expensive meds. They typically see healthier patients with private insurance in a larger proportion than physicians do. I mean SGLT inhibitors are awesome and your typical senior citizen on a budget is stuck with 70/30 or sulfonylureas.

The expensive meds part I’m criticizing is their exemption from the sunshine act, not necessarily that they give expensive meds by itself. But fair point.

This is not true. Your path is work independently or work for a doctor. Neither cares if you don't pay your NP dues or tell your militant colleagues to calm down on Twitter or even *gasp* report people practicing poorly. No one that pays your bills has a gun to your head to be complicit in this. That's a myth I know first hand indoctrinated by faculty at these NP and CRNA schools that is totally unfounded in real life. Everyone leaves CRNA school, for example, thinking they MUST pay their AANA dues or else they will be blackballed out of jobs. This is simply not true.

A medical student must do residency. Being labeled not a team player even in an innocuous thing online has actual ramifications to careers. An attending physician has far fewer worries in this department as long as they are a decent professional at work.

It's not even in the same universe. Also, these young guns in training now actually do give a **** and are serious about rebuilding what boomer docs broke. Expect no quarter once these greedy bastards retire. We aren't training or giving safe harbor.

I believe your heart is in the right place, but the current “greedy bastards” (your words, not mine) will be replaced by the current patient care crusaders. When you’ve got 3 kids to put through college you’re going to say “well they got theirs so I’m going to go get mine.” You may say it will never happen, I’m a true believer, and you’d be wrong. Sorry guys.

No, so it’s even worse, I have a license to lose.
Again, in the interest of fairness, I actually agree with you here. Nurses absolutely eat their own for being critical of nursing dogma. I don’t think the AANP would revoke your license like you seem to portray here. But I could absolutely see getting a target on your back and being blacklisted in your local job market for taking a public stance.

However, that fear actually does kinda prove my earlier points about where the majority of your colleagues stand.

I believe your heart is in the right place, but the current “greedy bastards” (your words, not mine) will be replaced by the current patient care crusaders. When you’ve got 3 kids to put through college you’re going to say “well they got theirs so I’m going to go get mine.” You may say it will never happen, I’m a true believer, and you’d be wrong. Sorry guys.

I have 2 kids already and already have chosen a career that will give me less money. I would gladly make $150k a year even as a neurosurgeon if it meant that NPs couldn’t practice independently.

Again, in the interest of fairness, I actually agree with you here. Nurses absolutely eat their own for being critical of nursing dogma. I don’t think the AANP would revoke your license like you seem to portray here. But I could absolutely see getting a target on your back and being blacklisted in your local job market for taking a public stance.

However, that fear actually does kinda prove my earlier points about where the majority of your colleagues stand.

I really don’t think it’s the majority you think it is. That’s been 100% my point here all along.

So the nursing board would pull your license for questioning the AANP, but they won’t be bothered to pull the licenses of NPs after they harm and kill patients?
@DrNotaDr I have to hear the response to this. I have to. Explain who the boogy man is that is threatening your license because I really, truly, legitimately need to know.

I have 2 kids already and already have chosen a career that will give me less money. I would gladly make $150k a year even as a neurosurgeon if it meant that NPs couldn’t practice independently.

Good for you. You’re the minority. More power to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.