PAs/NPs attempting to "cancel culture" the AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the doctor who’s giving good care but the patient doesn’t perceive their care as good gets destroyed on Yelp or rate my doctor or gives “never” answers on press ganey and hospital loses business and money. So perception equals reality.

Which is why I said patient satisfaction scores are one of the worst things to happen to medicine. When patients can hold physicians and hospitals hostage, they he system is ****ed up.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Which is why I said patient satisfaction scores are one of the worst things to happen to medicine. When patients can hold physicians and hospitals hostage, they he system is ****ed up.

Great. Doesn’t change anything. His point that perception is reality is valid because it’s how the bills get paid.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're an MS4. I'll be honest, most people know if you stick a needle into something big, it will get a hole. Nurses, who put in more IV's than anyone, i imagine understand the concept of artery compliance and pressure. Please use facts. Your intelligence is not a reflection on other people's intelligence.

"Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire". Isn't that exactly what AMA complaints are with AAPA and AANP organizations, using Covid as fear tactics to gain practice authority. Please stop commenting on others intelligence. Thank you in advance.
Your response shows your own lack of knowledge. It's more complex than "if you stick a needle into something big, it will get a hole". There are acceptable locations to puncture a brachial artery and strict monitoring protocols after brachial artery sticks. Things like artery compliance and pressure aren't as clinically relevant in this scenario, you're just throwing those things out to appear smart. It's not working.

I in no way implied that other healthcare professionals are not intelligent. I do find people that advocate for increased practice rights without a compensatory increase in training to be "stupid" (or ignorant, as @Matthew9Thirtyfive more properly put it). Nurses are for the most part fantastic when they stay in their role, and are dangerous when they do not. I've seen several nurse-placed brachial artery IVs (even under ultrasound guidance, when they thought it was a vein) and have helped to manage the aftermath. Bad things happen when you just assume that you know what you're doing.

When you operate beyond your level of training, you are dangerous. That could be said of anyone in any training program anywhere. Residents and medical students make blunders as well. The difference is that we're often put in our place by attendings. There simply isn't that kind of oversight and accountability in the NP world, and that is why they turn out overconfident NPs with weak clinical skills.

Reactions: 9 users
And like I said, if your perception is that your physician is not giving you good care, find another one. Your perception is subjective and does not necessarily mean you are not getting good care. I gave multiple examples of this. It is not a difficult concept.
I'm loving the energy, i think you should really keep that mindset. Thank goodness there isn't a Physician shortage or a massive organization lobbying for independence practice.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I'm loving the energy, i think you should really keep that mindset. Thank goodness there isn't a Physician shortage or a massive organization lobbying for independence practice.
Dude, what's your deal? This is the internet. Why so butthurt on something that so many people have disagreed with you on? Chillax and do something fun.

Reactions: 1 users
Your response shows your own lack of knowledge. It's more complex than "if you stick a needle into something big, it will get a hole". There are acceptable locations to puncture a brachial artery and strict monitoring protocols after brachial artery sticks. Things like artery compliance and pressure aren't as clinically relevant in this scenario, you're just throwing those things out to appear smart. It's not working.

I in no way implied that other healthcare professionals are not intelligent. I do find people that advocate for increased practice rights without a compensatory increase in training to be "stupid" (or ignorant, as @Matthew9Thirtyfive more properly put it). Nurses are for the most part fantastic when they stay in their role, and are dangerous when they do not. I've seen several nurse-placed brachial artery IVs (even under ultrasound guidance, when they thought it was a vein) and have helped to manage the aftermath. Bad things happen when you just assume that you know what you're doing.

When you operate beyond your level of training, you are dangerous. That could be said of anyone in any training program anywhere. Residents and medical students make blunders as well. The difference is that we're often put in our place by attendings. There simply isn't that kind of oversight and accountability in the NP world, and that is why they turn out overconfident NPs with weak clinical skills.
You're an MS4. You're telling me, compliance...and pressure are not clinically relevant when discussing vessels. You literally just said there's acceptable places to puncture, strict monitoring protocols and possible loss of blood flow to an extremity.

Bad things happen when you assume you know what you're doing. You're a Medical student, who has an entrenched opinion before even practicing medicine, calling others less than yourself if they disagree with your opinion on practicing medicine. Please stop commenting on peoples intelligence. It's really not a good look.

Dude, what's your deal? This is the internet. Why so butthurt on something that so many people have disagreed with you on? Chillax and do something fun.
My bad dude, I think just lost the good vibez. Imma find em again, no doubt

You're an MS4. You're telling me, compliance...and pressure are not clinically relevant when discussing vessels. You literally just said there's acceptable places to puncture, strict monitoring protocols and possible loss of blood flow to an extremity.

Bad things happen when you assume you know what you're doing. You're a Medical student, who has an entrenched opinion before even practicing medicine, calling others less than yourself if they disagree with your opinion on practicing medicine. Please stop commenting on peoples intelligence. It's really not a good look.

Yes, I do have an entrenched opinion that bad things happen when you operate beyond your level of training. It's really more of a fact though. I don't have a lot of opinions on practicing medicine since I am an MS4 (as you have been quick to point out in each of your posts), but you sure seem to despite not revealing your training background or profession.

It does seem pretty clear to me by your arguments and inability to put together coherent posts that you are not in medicine. We're taught to write better notes than that during our medicine rotations.

• Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
My feelings about my own care are by definition objective. If i feel sad, and i say im sad. (objective). If i feel sad and you tell me i'm not. (subjective). I'm sure you've written enough HPI's to know the distinction. In order for a point to be fact, it has to also inversely correlate. With your logic, if a medical student or higher deems care appropriate, that makes it appropriate. You keep using drug abuse and improper prescribing, i've already made the distinction above.

You're saying that there are more factors to care than individual perception. Which is my point so i don't know what your argument is.

I didn't say patient satisfaction determines good care. I said people are entitled to their perception of their care.

If as an M2 you compare your self in anyway to a Physician or practicing APP, than best of luck truly to you in all endeavors. However, i can debate feelings in my profession anytime i choose, looking for more fact based conversation.
Apparently you haven’t written enough notes.

You/patient can say you’re sad=subjective
And I can observe that you are smiling and in no apparent distress=objective

Reactions: 8 users
Imagine thinking "people shouldn't work in high-risk roles, such as patient care, that they're not qualified, trained, or educated for" can be such a controversial topic lmao

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently you haven’t written enough notes.

You/patient can say you’re sad=subjective
And I can observe that you are smiling and in no apparent distress=objective

If you're evaluating a patient than yes that's an objective "finding "vs subjective "finding". I'm explaining why the differences should be clear and as an medical student this is where I'm sure you've been exposed to the two terminologies. During an exam or evaluation your statements are considered objective based on your medical observation, opinion and training. A patient's statements are subjective because they can't be proven to be accurate or appropriately medically interpreted. I'm not asking you to evaluate a patient. This isn't a trick question or an assessment.

Objective statements are observations and information supported by facts.

Example: There are more Physicians in the US, than APP's. Data is supported and not disputable.

Subjective statements are open to interpretation by others, using thoughts, feelings and personal relationship.

Example: MD's are always better than DO's in medicine . If even 1 out 1000 DO's are equal and or better than it can't be a fact. Making that statement subjective because it's not always true.

I receive care. I dont like that care. I feel bad.
-Objective: I feel bad. Evidence: I am myself.

-Subjective: You don't feel bad. Regardless of your perception of why i feel bad, does not mean that i don't. Unless you are me, than that's your opinion

My reality is valid because that's how i perceive it.

I'm not sure how to be any more clear than that.

So if a patient perceives improper care, that's their perceived reality, making it by default objective because only they exist in that reality. If the care was actually proper or improper is what can be objective or subjective.

Last edited:
Yes, I do have an entrenched opinion that bad things happen when you operate beyond your level of training. It's really more of a fact though. I don't have a lot of opinions on practicing medicine since I am an MS4 (as you have been quick to point out in each of your posts), but you sure seem to despite not revealing your training background or profession.

It does seem pretty clear to me by your arguments and inability to put together coherent posts that you are not in medicine. We're taught to write better notes than that during our medicine rotations.
Bad things can happen if you operate beyond your scope of anything, including knowledge.

You have a problem with "lack of NP oversight" and overconfidence. However, they're in practice, so at the very least they've proven competent enough to hold a license.

You're a student claiming to have better attending oversight, knowledge and training. Wouldn't the definition of hubris be to comment those things, when you haven't started residency, practice medicine or even obtained a license.

When I start making points about clinical care, I'll use my title. I'm using math, statistics and apparently physics now. I'm pointing out your title because you seem to be very fond of it, i never asked for it, you provided it.

Incoherent would mean that you couldn't respond to my arguments because they're unintelligible. Your response about being entrenched was from my previous argument. So i hope that you can surmise the inconsistency in saying all my arguments are incoherent.

I also hope that you were taught to right notes before you entered into your M3. I would say however, that as an M4 you should have been taught fact based medicine and/or at least fact based conversation. Using anecdotal observations about a handful of nurses you've encountered, than equating them to that of 3+ million others is about as non-fact based/non-medicine based as it gets.

Last edited:
Bad things can happen if you operate beyond your scope of anything, including knowledge.

You have a problem with "lack of NP oversight" and overconfidence. However, they're in practice, so at the very least they've proven competent enough to hold a license.

You're a student claiming to have better attending oversight, knowledge and training. Wouldn't the definition of hubris be to comment those things, when you haven't started residency, practice medicine or even obtained a license.

When I start making points about clinical care, I'll use my title. I'm using math, statistics and apparently physics now. I'm pointing out your title because you seem to be very fond of it, i never asked for it, you provided it.

Incoherent would mean that you couldn't respond to my arguments because they're unintelligible. Your response about being entrenched was from my previous argument. So i hope that you can surmise the inconsistency in saying all my arguments are incoherent.

I also hope that you were taught to right notes before you entered into your M3. I would say however, that as an M4 you should have been taught fact based medicine and/or at least fact based conversation. Using anecdotal observations about a handful of nurses you've encountered, than equating them to that of 3+ million others is about as non-fact based/non-medicine based as it gets.
My point was never that NPs shouldn’t be in practice, it was that they should stay in their lane. Really, my point was that nobody should be trying to do things they haven’t been trained to do.

I do think that I have superior attending oversight, knowledge, and training compared to a brand new NP. That isn’t “hubris”, it’s a function of time spent training and the fact that my education doesn’t consist of online learning modules and self-scheduled shadowing rotations. How can someone in their right mind actually think that this is up for debate? It really makes me think you are very unfamiliar with the rigors of medical training in general.

And when I used that example about nurses, it wasn’t an attack on them at all. It was just an example of someone operating beyond their scope of training and the consequences that can happen. It wasn’t meant to be a generalization that all nurses are incompetent. Medical students and residents aren’t exempt from this line of reasoning either. I have family members in nursing, and they’re great at their jobs.
Even though you aren’t sharing your title, it’s clear that you have a dog in this fight. Bottom line is this: if you wanna be on the same playing field, do the work.

oh, and before you think that you’re teaching me physics, I’d like to point out that compliance is used as a physiological term in medicine. The way you are using it is incorrect, if you must know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
My point was never that NPs shouldn’t be in practice, it was that they should stay in their lane. Really, my point was that nobody should be trying to do things they haven’t been trained to do.

I do think that I have superior attending oversight, knowledge, and training compared to a brand new NP. That isn’t “hubris”, it’s a function of time spent training and the fact that my education doesn’t consist of online learning modules and self-scheduled shadowing rotations. How can someone in their right mind actually think that this is up for debate? It really makes me think you are very unfamiliar with the rigors of medical training in general.

And when I used that example about nurses, it wasn’t an attack on them at all. It was just an example of someone operating beyond their scope of training and the consequences that can happen. It wasn’t meant to be a generalization that all nurses are incompetent. Medical students and residents aren’t exempt from this line of reasoning either. I have family members in nursing, and they’re great at their jobs.
Even though you aren’t sharing your title, it’s clear that you have a dog in this fight. Bottom line is this: if you wanna be on the same playing field, do the work.

oh, and before you think that you’re teaching me physics, I’d like to point out that compliance is used as a physiological term in medicine. The way you are using it is incorrect, if you must know.

They are using classic nursing/midlevel tactics, so I’m betting they are a midlevel and don’t want to share it. Midlevel argument tactics basically boil down to gaslighting and moving the goal posts repeatedly.

That studies data is 30 years old. There are attendings practicing medicine today who weren’t alive when that data was collected. Not impressed.
I believe you mean 20 years old (published in 2000, it's 2020 now). Every single attending in the US is older than that.

So the doctor who’s giving good care but the patient doesn’t perceive their care as good gets destroyed on Yelp or rate my doctor or gives “never” answers on press ganey and hospital loses business and money. So perception equals reality.
What on Earth?

Even if the hospital loses money it doesn't mean the care was bad.

I believe you mean 20 years old (published in 2000, it's 2020 now). Every single attending in the US is older than that.

The data was collected between 1991-1994. So the data is 30 years old. The study is 20 years old.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Something we are all aware of is the fact that NP education is highly variable, unregulated, and in the last decade or so there has been an explosion of schools that have gotten increasingly lax with admission standards. I think everyone here is the *most* concerned with these individuals “practicing”.

And yet the AANP cites studies from decades ago. These studies STILL are ridiculous and do not stand up to even the slightest scrutiny, and yet they’re far too charitable to the NPs since these diploma mill schools weren’t even around back then. We need studies that specifically focus on students coming from diploma mills since these are the quality of “provider” that are coming to define the NP profession.

And yet you could never do a truly randomized NP vs MD study since it would be too unethical, even though that’s what we’d need to prove competence. Amazingly, too unethical to do a study, but ethical enough apparently to unleash them on the US to treat patients with the assumption that it’s ok.

Reactions: 4 users
NP profession is less than 50 years old. Maybe find studies with data collected this century. It’s not too much to ask.

Or do you mean like this?

Accuracy of Skin Cancer Diagnosis by Physician Assistants Compared With Dermatologists in a Large Health Care System - PubMed (PAs biopsy skin lesions more but don’t find more cancer—what’s a little punch biopsy? From 2018)

Or this?

Comparison of Diagnostic Imaging Ordering Patterns (MLPs image more for the same types of patients—what’s a little extra radiation? Data from 2010-2011)

Or this?

Editor's choice: Outpatient Antibiotic Prescribing Among United States Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants (antibiotic stewardship needs to focus on MLPs because they overprescribe antibiotics—what’s a little increased anaphylaxis, allergy labeling, and resistance? Data from 1998-2011 with data from 2006-2011 looked at for recent patterns)

Or this?

Opioid Prescribing by Primary Care Providers: a Cross-Sectional Analysis of Nurse Practitioner, Physician Assistant, and Physician Prescribing Patterns - PubMed (MLPs are 20x more likely to prescribe opioids—what’s a little drug addiction? Published this year)

Or this?

"Under the radar": nurse practitioner prescribers and pharmaceutical industry promotions - PubMed (90% of NPs think it’s acceptable to go to a lunch sponsored by pharm companies and 48% say they are more likely to prescribe a drug highlighted at such an event—and thanks to the Sunshine Act exemption, they could even take money for doing so and not have to have it reported! Fortunately that’s going away)

Should I keep going?

Reactions: 14 users
Or do you mean like this?

Accuracy of Skin Cancer Diagnosis by Physician Assistants Compared With Dermatologists in a Large Health Care System - PubMed (PAs biopsy skin lesions more but don’t find more cancer—what’s a little punch biopsy? From 2018)

Or this?

Comparison of Diagnostic Imaging Ordering Patterns (MLPs image more for the same types of patients—what’s a little extra radiation? Data from 2010-2011)

Or this?

Editor's choice: Outpatient Antibiotic Prescribing Among United States Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants (antibiotic stewardship needs to focus on MLPs because they overprescribe antibiotics—what’s a little increased anaphylaxis, allergy labeling, and resistance? Data from 1998-2011 with data from 2006-2011 looked at for recent patterns)

Or this?

Opioid Prescribing by Primary Care Providers: a Cross-Sectional Analysis of Nurse Practitioner, Physician Assistant, and Physician Prescribing Patterns - PubMed (MLPs are 20x more likely to prescribe opioids—what’s a little drug addiction? Published this year)

Or this?

"Under the radar": nurse practitioner prescribers and pharmaceutical industry promotions - PubMed (90% of NPs think it’s acceptable to go to a lunch sponsored by pharm companies and 48% say they are more likely to prescribe a drug highlighted at such an event—and thanks to the Sunshine Act exemption, they could even take money for doing so and not have to have it reported! Fortunately that’s going away)

Should I keep going?

I’ll respond to all these when I get home from work. There’s no smoking gun here. Let me know if you find one (you won’t)

• Dislike
I’ll respond to all these when I get home from work. There’s no smoking gun here. Let me know if you find one (you won’t)

There's only no smoking gun if you put blinders on and refuse to see it (because unfortunately for the unknowing public, for so many MLPs ego is more important than patient safety). But sure. I'd love to see you explain away actual statistically significant data demonstrating inferior care. The real smoking guns are the studies done earlier that show that midlevels only provide adequate care half the time, and that's when fully supervised. But since that data isn't from 10 minutes ago, it doesn't count I guess.

Reactions: 5 users
There's only no smoking gun if you put blinders on and refuse to see it (because unfortunately for the unknowing public, for so many MLPs ego is more important than patient safety). But sure. I'd love to see you explain away actual statistically significant data demonstrating inferior care. The real smoking guns are the studies done earlier that show that midlevels only provide adequate care half the time, and that's when fully supervised. But since that data isn't from 10 minutes ago, it doesn't count I guess.
They will find a way to explain it away. That’s just what you do when you’re a midlevel and are bitter that docs are the undisputed authority figure in the room. That’s the pill these people really can’t swallow. It’s not about medical knowledge or patient outcomes, it’s a pure power grab.

I can't argue facts like "NP's learn from self-shadowing and online modules" or "that i dont understand rigors of medicine". "Or that your family members are nurses who are good at their jobs."

I'll end with the incorrect usage of compliance and pressure. Compliance was in response to vessels, which include Arteries and veins, nurses know what they are.
Pressure: Which is physics. Arteries are under them. Which is one of many reasons you don't place IV's in them.

Best of luck to you in all your endeavors

They are using classic nursing/midlevel tactics, so I’m betting they are a midlevel and don’t want to share it. Midlevel argument tactics basically boil down to gaslighting and moving the goal posts repeatedly.
What? Statistics?

I don’t think we have need to justify our training with studies. They’ll constantly dispute the results anyways. They are less educated, less prepared clinically, and are not designed to be doctors. The end
Your argument about not using studies to justify training is ridiculous. That's literally an integral part of how you practice medicine. Those studies are for your peers, patients, politician, residents and APPs.

I can't argue facts like "NP's learn from self-shadowing and online modules" or "that i dont understand rigors of medicine". "Or that your family members are nurses who are good at their jobs."

I'll end with the incorrect usage of compliance and pressure. Compliance was in response to vessels, which include Arteries and veins, nurses know what they are.
Pressure: Which is physics. Arteries are under them. Which is one of many reasons you don't place IV's in them.

Best of luck to you in all your endeavors
Seems like you have a hard time understanding that not every argument in life requires a p-value. It’s completely fair to say that you don’t understand the rigor of my training, since you haven’t been through it.

“Pressure: which is physics. Arteries are under them. Which is one of many reasons you don’t place IV’s in them”. I think this intellectual masterpiece of a sentence speaks to your overall insight on this topic.

Reactions: 7 users
Your argument about not using studies to justify training is ridiculous. That's literally an integral part of how you practice medicine. Those studies are for your peers, patients, politician, residents and APPs.
First of all, actual comparative studies have already been done. How about addressing those? Really it’s this simple, though: at the end of my training, I’ll be a doctor and you will not.

PS: I also love that you are telling me the integral parts of practicing medicine. Got a good LOL from that one.

Last edited:
Didn't want to create a new thread for this:

LOL, I was whooping and hollering when I watched this. She just tore them a new one. Fast forward to 1:30 for the tearing

• Love
Didn't want to create a new thread for this:

LOL, I was whooping and hollering when I watched this. She just tore them a new one. Fast forward to 1:30 for the tearing

Mad RESPECT

Reactions: 6 users

The US is literally going the complete opposite direction with healthcare. ****tier outcomes, more expensive. More untrained “providers” and fewer actual doctors. What a time to be alive.

It’s just unbelievable that people trust NPs with their care. It’s like asking the cashier at petsmart to diagnose your dog

• Dislike
Status
Not open for further replies.