Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got my Interview invite! I submitted my secondary 8/14/16 and got my invite 9/16/16, so it took me about a month to go from committee to Interview. Wish me luck, interview date Nov. 18th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my Interview invite! I submitted my secondary 8/14/16 and got my invite 9/16/16, so it took me about a month to go from committee to Interview. Wish me luck, interview date Nov. 18th.
What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Oh yeah that would be helpful. My stats are kind of terrible actually, but I have a 3.5 GPA and a 497 MCAT. I have an associates in Medical Laboratory sciences, an associates in Culinary Arts, and a bachelors in Nutrition. I'm a non tradition student, a veteran, and have worked in multiple hospitals as a Medical Lab Tech for about 6 years now. When I get into med school it will be my background and not my grades that get me in.

I actually went to do a tour of PNWU after putting in my primary application. It was defiantly to my benefit, because one of the admissions staff did the tour, and we chatted for about an hour and a half about my background and why I want to go to PNWU. I not so subtly inquired about secondary applications at the time, and I must have made an impression because the invite for the secondary was in my inbox by the time I made it out to my car. The admissions staff here are super friendly and like to interact with applicants, so I suggest if you ever have any questions about your application to give them a call. If you leave a good impression they will remember you and they will mark it down in your application.

II 9/19 via email! portal states 9/16 invitation.
secondary completed 7/30, file complete 8/2.
decision in portal updated to "committee" 8/19.

Reactions: 1 user
ahhh congrats!!

I just submitted my secondary last night and am not sure my essay was attached properly. After paying, it took me back to a page to upload up to 3 documents without any instructions other than the format they accept and a box to enter the title. I just titled is Secondary Essay and submitted it, it this the correct place to attach my essay? Just want to be sure as there were no essay instructions on that page.

Oh yeah that would be helpful. My stats are kind of terrible actually, but I have a 3.5 GPA and a 497 MCAT. I have an associates in Medical Laboratory sciences, an associates in Culinary Arts, and a bachelors in Nutrition. I'm a non tradition student, a veteran, and have worked in multiple hospitals as a Medical Lab Tech for about 6 years now. When I get into med school it will be my background and not my grades that get me in.

Awesome job getting an interview! I have very similar stats, but definitely don't have the life experiences you do. Hopefully PNWU shows me some love.

I just submitted my secondary last night and am not sure my essay was attached properly. After paying, it took me back to a page to upload up to 3 documents without any instructions other than the format they accept and a box to enter the title. I just titled is Secondary Essay and submitted it, it this the correct place to attach my essay? Just want to be sure as there were no essay instructions on that page.

I completely messed mine up when doing it and didn't hit upload after selecting the file. Luckily, they just emailed me and asked me to send them the attachment. So if you did do it wrong, they will tell you, no worries.

II!! OOS and selected January interview date. I'm so excited and surprised!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just submitted my secondary app this past weekend. I live in rural Idaho and have a 3.77 gpa, 507 MCAT. Is my timing okay? Started to get nervous when I realized people have submitted secondaries up to two months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I just submitted my secondary app this past weekend. I live in rural Idaho and have a 3.77 gpa, 507 MCAT. Is my timing okay? Started to get nervous when I realized people have submitted secondaries up to two months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I think you should still be fine; the on-boarding screen process takes about 4-6 weeks to screen for an interview after all the secondary materials are processed (took mine about a week to receive everything after submitting in august). Keep in mind that there's interview dates all the way up to the end of February/early March. First interview date is October 7th I believe for this cycle.

CURRENT FIRST YEAR HERE!! :horns:

Feel free to ask me any questions or PM me if that's easier.. Happy to help! :happy:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Cancelling my interview here Oct 14. Maybe one of you will be able to change to that?

Good luck.

scheduled my interview for 1/27/17
(secondary was complete 8/23/16, went to committee 9/13/16, and got an interview invite 9/30/16)

damn really? i just went to committee last week and was freaking out bc i didnt get a II. lol guess i should calm down a bit
My application was in committee for 2 weeks, but it seems like it tends to take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks for people who are getting interview invites. Don't sweat it if it's only been a week or two, I'm sure the committee doesn't meet every day to go through applications, so it's generally not a super fast process at any medical school

Good luck to those interviewing tomorrow (and throughout the season)!! Remember to be yourself and enjoy this unique moment in your life. It really is such a whirlwind and goes by so fast! Us Firsties are finishing up a midterm week, so say hi and give us some of your energy! Hehe

As always, ask me questions if you have any or snag someone on campus. We all are here to help you.

Thanks! It's amazing how much more relaxed you go into interviews after the first couple, and after you already have an acceptance in hand. I'm going to enjoy tomorrow, and hopefully expierence it a bit more than my others, because I was so nervous everything seemed to just blur by.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Thanks! It's amazing how much more relaxed you go into interviews after the first couple, and after you already have an acceptance in hand. I'm going to enjoy tomorrow, and hopefully expierence it a bit more than my others, because I was so nervous everything seemed to just blur by.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
the PNWU interview process is fairly low-stress too, thankfully

Apologies if this has been covered so far, haven't seen it in the thread. Seems like PNWU requires 3 biological science courses instead of the standard 2 of biology - what are people using as a third course? It specifically lists that biochem CANNOT be used.

Apologies if this has been covered so far, haven't seen it in the thread. Seems like PNWU requires 3 biological science courses instead of the standard 2 of biology - what are people using as a third course? It specifically lists that biochem CANNOT be used.
I had micro as my third bio

What were your stats, if you don't mind sharing them? I'm extremely interested in PNWU and have been at the "committee" status for just over two weeks now!

How many people seem to get in from the first interview rounds? I interviewed on Friday and wanted to know what seems to be the consensus from prior years?

Also I did post in the western u comp-NW vs. PNWU, but anyone's opinions on the matter. I would love to hear from current students. Thanks for the responses ahead of time!

How many people seem to get in from the first interview rounds? I interviewed on Friday and wanted to know what seems to be the consensus from prior years?

Also I did post in the western u comp-NW vs. PNWU, but anyone's opinions on the matter. I would love to hear from current students. Thanks for the responses ahead of time!
When you interviewed Friday did they say they would let you know their decision within a week, like they did last year?

They said a bit over two weeks for us because that was the first meeting

Reactions: 2 users
What were your stats, if you don't mind sharing them? I'm extremely interested in PNWU and have been at the "committee" status for just over two weeks now!
It usually takes the committee at least 2 or 3 weeks, but I believe the average has been around 4 or 5.

It usually takes the committee at least 2 or 3 weeks, but I believe the average has been around 4 or 5.

4-5Weeks? I thought people said in previous years that it was a week or so. They said two weeks for us.

4-5Weeks? I thought people said in previous years that it was a week or so. They said two weeks for us.
They are talking about the length of time secondary applications were in committee, to decide if an interview was being offered.

I've been in committee for a month now and no news. I'll wait another week or two before considering contacting them :)

Sent from my Studio 6.0 LTE using SDN mobile

Late post got II for January 20th, asked hope to be put on waitlist for earlier date. Called a week later and I am interviewing November 4th. Third times a charm, right?

Reactions: 2 users
anyone know what day they'll be notifying us this week of our post interview status?

Hi! I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I wanted more of a clear answer regardless. I am currently "No Decision" rather than "In Committee"; is there a difference between these two? Can I continue holding my hopes up? I completed everything on my end by Sept. 30th, but didn't reach "complete" status until October 12th! However, I got my "No decision" status on September 30th. I am confused.. Does that mean I am currently in the "pre-committee" stage, and my next status should be "committee" (and after that, hopefullying, II?) Sorry for the long message! I'm just hoping for clarification during this waiting game! Thank you everyone, and best of luck!

Hi! I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I wanted more of a clear answer regardless. I am currently "No Decision" rather than "In Committee"; is there a difference between these two? Can I continue holding my hopes up? I completed everything on my end by Sept. 30th, but didn't reach "complete" status until October 12th! However, I got my "No decision" status on September 30th. I am confused.. Does that mean I am currently in the "pre-committee" stage, and my next status should be "committee" (and after that, hopefullying, II?) Sorry for the long message! I'm just hoping for clarification during this waiting game! Thank you everyone, and best of luck!
I am in the same boat as you and was wondering the same thing! I have just assumed it's the "pre-committee" phase. Can anyone answer definitively?

I am in the same boat as you and was wondering the same thing! I have just assumed it's the "pre-committee" phase. Can anyone answer definitively?

If I remember correctly, my status said "no decision" until I received my interview invite.

Reactions: 1 users
anyone know what day they'll be notifying us this week of our post interview status?

I think they said they will meet Wednesday and we would be notified as soon as decisions were made so I would assume Friday... The waiting game is murderous... I would say though we could expect it as late as next Tuesday if they run into troubles.

Went to committee 9/23...hopefully I hear back soon!

I think they said they will meet Wednesday and we would be notified as soon as decisions were made so I would assume Friday... The waiting game is murderous... I would say though we could expect it as late as next Tuesday if they run into troubles.

You should hear back Thursday at the latest. Last year we literally got called the afternoon that they made decisions.

Rejected post secondary... I actually want an interview here...oh well.

Figured I'd chime in here. Got on II the other day and now scheduled for December 3rd!

Hope to see some of you there!

Anyone hear anything yet? I know it's still early in the day... but I keep checking!

Sorry I meant from the interviews two weeks ago. We should supposedly hear back today!!!
I've been checking quite frequently myself. Still has no update. I'm not sure if we will hear today or tomorrow.

I believe they will call? Not sure.