Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there! Could you expand on what the email said? And could you please tell us when you were notified? Ty!

I received an email around last week. The email just stated what your estimate rank is. The email also mentioned that if a spot opens up, you'll be notified via call.

Has anyone accepted received an email with introductions to complete the Title IX training, fill out the HIPAA, OSHA, or bloodborne pathogens forms yet? Thank you!

Hey guys just a heads up, there has been movement on the waitlist. Just got accepted off the waitlist couple days ago :):).

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys just a heads up, there has been movement on the waitlist. Just got accepted off the waitlist couple days ago :):).
Congrats! Were you in the top 10?

Woo! That's great news! Still got my fingers crossed for some more movement!!

Will be withdrawing my acceptance here soon. Hopefully it goes to one of you. Best of luck!

Good on you Cirio! Helping the system move along. Were there any considerations about this school that made you change your mind?

Also will be withdrawing my acceptance. Incredible school with great support. I hope one of you gets it! Thanks for being such a great community throughout this application cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else get the three courses to complete today? If so, where did you upload the hazard one, I didn't see a spot in e-value

In the top 10 now! So anxious to get the call! I hope there is lots of movement soon!!!

Hey guys, I see under matriculation requirements checklist that the handbook and student catalog must be reviewed, but how do we prove to them we did that? I see there ia review form they said that should become available and was wondering if anyone knew how to access that. Thank so much.

Does anyone have any items on the student portal checked off? I have most of my items on e-value completed and green, but literally zero things checked off in my checklist on the portal. Just curious

Does anyone have any items on the student portal checked off? I have most of my items on e-value completed and green, but literally zero things checked off in my checklist on the portal. Just curious
I have everything but three items (handbook, catalog, shadowing) checked off on my student portal.

Any movement on the waitlist? Going crazy over here!

Nope, haven't heard anything yet. Aw man the suspense getting intense!

Got an offer on Tuesday! While this school has regional bias, I am from Connecticut and engaged to a woman from Northern California, and I still got in! Pumped to move to Washington

Reactions: 1 users
Got an offer on Tuesday! While this school has regional bias, I am from Connecticut and engaged to a woman from Northern California, and I still got in! Pumped to move to Washington
Finally some movement!

Wow! Congrats! I'm still waiting for a call.

Got the call! I was so happy and in shock, I couldn't even concentrate at work!

Oh my god !!!!!! Congrats!!!!

For those who are recently accepted into the PNWU program:

First off: CONGRATULATIONS!:soexcited:It does not matter at what time in the year you got in to the program, we are all on the same team and ready to work come August!
Second: If you have any questions, head over to the FB page: search PNWU Class of 2021. It's usually the quickest way to get your questions and concerns addressed. If we can lighten the load of the enrollment team by answering some of the "most common" questions we should! They work too hard these days...
Third: SEE YOU IN AUGUST!
Fourth: Do not do anything for the remainder of the summer besides Relax. See Family. Travel. Gather basics for living. DO NOT STUDY. (It's not worth it, I promise!)
:)

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all! Current applicant for the 2018 cycle applications and I just had a quick question for those who have been accepted to PNWU this cycle! I would also like to say congratulations!!! :claps: I hope that I am in your shoes this time next year.

My question is for the secondary question:
Describe personal experiences that have shaped your desire to attend an osteopathic medical school whose mission focuses on rural and/or medically underserved populations. (Write one page)

Did you guys simply write about your experiences in rural and underserved communities and how they shaped your desire to become a D.O. like the question asks or did you also include why PNWU was the school you wanted to go to?

Hey all! Current applicant for the 2018 cycle applications and I just had a quick question for those who have been accepted to PNWU this cycle! I would also like to say congratulations!!! :claps: I hope that I am in your shoes this time next year.

Describe personal experiences that have shaped your desire to attend an osteopathic medical school whose mission focuses on rural and/or medically underserved populations. (Write one page)

Did you guys simply write about your experiences in rural and underserved communities and how they shaped your desire to become a D.O. like the question asks or did you also include why PNWU was the school you wanted to go to?

I actually talked about a specific examples within the experiences and how this matched my strong desire to become a DO at PNWU. This school is amazing, I'm so excited to start here!

From what I know of PNWU... they are looking for students who will not only will make great physicians but also easily blend with the vibe in and around campus. This program is very tight knit and supportive of its students. One of the goals for choosing its upcoming class is to find students who will be successful - this includes enjoying the pacific northwest lifestyle, getting along with those around them, and not feeling upset by the decision to choose their school. It is already difficult to perform well in medical school, so they are trying to pick students they feel will be able to "survive" because they are all friends and supportive of one another.

MY POINT ;) is to say in your secondary what is unique to you and shows your personality and passions. With that said, I reflected on my time spent working for the Special Olympics organization as well as shadowing in clinics who serve communities in need. I made a point to describe what I liked about those experiences in addition to things I felt needed to be fixed. Overall, my essay was true to my beliefs and personality. It's always a plus to link-in why those characteristics will flourish at a certain program.

If it does not completely check every requirement box but leaves a strong impression I say you win in that situation!
Good luck! :)

From what I know of PNWU... they are looking for students who will not only will make great physicians but also easily blend with the vibe in and around campus. This program is very tight knit and supportive of its students. One of the goals for choosing its upcoming class is to find students who will be successful - this includes enjoying the pacific northwest lifestyle, getting along with those around them, and not feeling upset by the decision to choose their school. It is already difficult to perform well in medical school, so they are trying to pick students they feel will be able to "survive" because they are all friends and supportive of one another.

MY POINT ;) is to say in your secondary what is unique to you and shows your personality and passions. With that said, I reflected on my time spent working for the Special Olympics organization as well as shadowing in clinics who serve communities in need. I made a point to describe what I liked about those experiences in addition to things I felt needed to be fixed. Overall, my essay was true to my beliefs and personality. It's always a plus to link-in why those characteristics will flourish at a certain program.

If it does not completely check every requirement box but leaves a strong impression I say you win in that situation!
Good luck! :)

Thank you this is wonderful advice!

Hi guys,
I really loved this school because of their emphasis on primary care and that's why I submitted my primary. I received a secondary from this school like ~2 months ago and never filled it out because of the heavy bias for the 5-state catchment area preference. I'm from the Midwest area (like Illinois area). I just got really discouraged when I saw a ton of people getting rejected who weren't in the area and since the price tag on the secondary is up there, I just completely put it off. Can anyone give me advice?

-Strong clinical experience working with underserved communities
-A lot of volunteer work
-A fair amount of research experience
- ~3.6 ugpa, 3.5 sgpa, 3.9 grad gpa (all science)
- ~502-505 MCAT (w/multiple takes)

Is it worth still filling out the secondary this late in the game?

Hi guys,
I really loved this school because of their emphasis on primary care and that's why I submitted my primary. I received a secondary from this school like ~2 months ago and never filled it out because of the heavy bias for the 5-state catchment area preference. I'm from the Midwest area (like Illinois area). I just got really discouraged when I saw a ton of people getting rejected who weren't in the area and since the price tag on the secondary is up there, I just completely put it off. Can anyone give me advice?

-A lot of volunteer work

IMO I would say no due to the regional bias

Hi guys,

-A lot of volunteer work

I would say probably not. My buddy from Utah had similar stats (slightly better MCAT, slightly worse GPA) and got rejected. On the other hand, if you are getting desperate it can't hurt unless you're really strapped for cash.

Hi guys,

-A lot of volunteer work

Hey there! I had worse stats and got an interview. I don't have much of a tie to the 5 state region, so it might be worth it! I focused my essays on why going to school in that area will help me achieve my goals.

You never know unless you try, right?

I hope your time at PNWU has been going well! I am wondering if anyone knows about the portland clinical roation sites. I am from Salem OR and thought it might be nice for my wife to be near home during that time.

I hope your time at PNWU has been going well! I am wondering if anyone knows about the portland clinical roation sites. I am from Salem OR and thought it might be nice for my wife to be near home during that time.
Did you attend an interview here? During my interview, they said they are probably phasing out their Portland site, either completely or fewer students. This could be because CompNW and/or OHSU were maybe taking their existing slots, or docs in and around Portland were no longer interested in working with PNWU students.

Did you attend an interview here? During my interview, they said they are probably phasing out their Portland site, either completely or fewer students. This could be because CompNW and/or OHSU were maybe taking their existing slots, or docs in and around Portland were no longer interested in working with PNWU students.

Yes I have been accepted. That is odd I heard a different story when I talked to them a couple weeks ago via email. I will call tomorrow and check in on that.

Yes I have been accepted. That is odd I heard a different story when I talked to them a couple weeks ago via email. I will call tomorrow and check in on that.
Hopefully it changed for the better. Did you call/hear back??

Waitlisted today... Now what? I'm guessing that once they hear back from everyone they just sent an offer to they will then start pulling from the waitlist if there are still open seats?