Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II!! OOS (Oregon) but have a ton of family that lives in Yakima. 509 MCAT and 3.9 GPA

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those that have received interviews, is PNWU interviewing on days other than Fridays?

For those that have received interviews, is PNWU interviewing on days other than Fridays?

No they only interview on Fridays it looks like

I haven't seen the prompt anywhere, would someone mind putting it up?

I haven't seen the prompt anywhere, would someone mind putting it up?

Write a one page, total, essay addressing the following question:
a. Describe specific experiences you have had with rural and/or underserved populations and how those experiences shaped your desire to attend an osteopathic medical school.

Write a one page, total, essay addressing the following question:
a. Describe specific experiences you have had with rural and/or underserved populations and how those experiences shaped your desire to attend an osteopathic medical school.
Is that the only essay?

does anyone know the average gpa and mcat for this school ?
I take it you haven't looked on their website....

• Average Cumulative GPA: 3.46
  • Average Science GPA: 3.37
  • MCAT Score Average (highest): 27.29
  • From Rural Areas: 31%
  • From Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSA) 32%
  • From Medically Underserved Areas (MUA) 30%
  • Percent with Masters Degrees: 21%

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-secondary rejection. OOS

Last edited:
Just got secondary today, OOS, primary turned in 7/2

Reactions: 2 users
I take it you haven't looked on their website....

• Average Cumulative GPA: 3.46
  • Average Science GPA: 3.37
  • MCAT Score Average (highest): 27.29
  • From Rural Areas: 31%
  • From Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSA) 32%
  • From Medically Underserved Areas (MUA) 30%
  • Percent with Masters Degrees: 21%
During orientation they told us that the class of 2020 has the highest stats and numer of applicants of any class so far. They haven't released those numbers yet, but to anyone whose interested thay have gone up.

Also, I'm a first year if anyone has any questions. We have our first exam on Monday (8/29) so I might not reply right away.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to those who received IIs so far!

Just curious, when were you guys complete? I was complete 8/3 and was placed in "Committee" as my status on 8/18. How long did it take from your status to go from "Committee" to "Interview"?

Wow I just looked at the stats posted above and it looks like that about half of those that complete a secondary, are offered an II. Those are pretty good odds!

Wow I just looked at the stats posted above and it looks like that about half of those that complete a secondary, are offered an II. Those are pretty good odds!

How many of the people who are interviewed are offered an acceptance?

My app was verified on 8/26 and I received the secondary today on 8/30. I'm OOS with no ties but with a strong desire to work in underserved areas. Yay for my first secondary of this cycle!

Reactions: 3 users
Just submitted my secondary today! This school looks amazing! Definitely one of my top choices :nod:

She did you submit your primary if you don't mind me asking?

I'm assuming you mean when did I submit my primary? If so I submitted it on July 12th and received a secondary on July 30th. I had financial issues so I had to wait awhile to submit the secondary

Hey guys this school is my top choice but I was wondering why it seems like it is not getting a high volume of applications compared to other schools? Other threads on this board have over 25 pages of posts but it seems this school has a smaller number of applicants. Any thoughts?

Hey guys this school is my top choice but I was wondering why it seems like it is not getting a high volume of applications compared to other schools? Other threads on this board have over 25 pages of posts but it seems this school has a smaller number of applicants. Any thoughts?

Not every student that applies posts on here. Most of my classmates want nothing to do with SDN or have never heard of it.

Also, just as a heads up. I interviewed towards the beginning of the cycle last year. We had 140 people at my interview day. They interview a lot of people in the beginning. Last year they had almost 5,000 applications and accepted 144 students.

Not every student that applies posts on here. Most of my classmates want nothing to do with SDN or have never heard of it.

Also, just as a heads up. I interviewed towards the beginning of the cycle last year. We had 140 people at my interview day. They interview a lot of people in the beginning. Last year they had almost 5,000 applications and accepted 144 students.
Accepted 144? Or, 144 matriculated?

Sent from my Studio 6.0 LTE using SDN mobile

The max class size is 150. Idk how many they accepted, but they have 6 people repeating (for health reasons or grades) and 144 new students.

So they matriculate a total of 150 each year, but they obviously extend many more acceptances than that.

How long is too long for the secondary application essay? I'm in the process of writing it now, and I have a lot to say on the issue. They didn't provide a maximum length, so i figure that allows me the freedom to speak about everything that i want to.

I know that being concise is important, so I'm trying my best to avoid going on rants and tangents, I still think the essay may come out quite lengthy (1500 words) maybe.

Is this too long? I think it's a good essay but I don't want it to be held against me that i wrote all of that. Conversely, they may be pleased to see that i have a lot to say on an issue that is important to the school.

What are your thoughts on this?

How long is too long for the secondary application essay? I'm in the process of writing it now, and I have a lot to say on the issue. They didn't provide a maximum length, so i figure that allows me the freedom to speak about everything that i want to.

I know that being concise is important, so I'm trying my best to avoid going on rants and tangents, I still think the essay may come out quite lengthy (1500 words) maybe.

Is this too long? I think it's a good essay but I don't want it to be held against me that i wrote all of that. Conversely, they may be pleased to see that i have a lot to say on an issue that is important to the school.

If it's 1 page you're good

Hi all, current 1st year here. Just wanted to provide a few words of encouragement and enthusiasm for PNWU. First off, I've been blown away with the support of the faculty and staff at PNWU. Additionally I feel the admissions committee has done a wonderful job choosing a kind and supportive student body. I cannot think of a single fellow student who isn't easy to approach or who puts themselves first before others. There is a great spirit of helping each other out and getting through it together here.

Secondly, I wanted to stress that PNWU really is all about their mission. It's important if you want to go here that you understand this. They have been known to reject people with great stats and accept those with somewhat subpar stats (myself included) if they see that you really care about the mission. I am also not from the state catchment area (although the majority of students are) and not originally from a rural or underserved town.

I hope this comes as a bit of inspiration to be yourself and trust that if you are a good fit they will see that. It's truly a school with a lot of heart and compassion. Academically it also kicks @$$. Being only almost done with the 3rd week I feel like I've been in school for months, but it's awesome. Feel free to PM me with any questions or advice and good luck! Keep your chin up! I know how hard this process is. And even though everyone will tell you to enjoy your time now and you may think "yeah, yeah, yeah...". Really though. Do it. It only get's crazier.

Reactions: 4 users

The secondary states 1 page or less.

I'm assuming you mean when did I submit my primary? If so I submitted it on July 12th and received a secondary on July 30th. I had financial issues so I had to wait awhile to submit the secondary
I just got my secondary today and gonna submit by tomorrow morning. Called and it turns out my primary fell through the cracks so they fixed it and sent me a secondary. Would a secondary submitted in early September be considered late? My stats are 507, 3.19 cgpa, 3.12 sgpa.

I just got my secondary today and gonna submit by tomorrow morning. Called and it turns out my primary fell through the cracks so they fixed it and sent me a secondary. Would a secondary submitted in early September be considered late? My stats are 507, 3.19 cgpa, 3.12 sgpa.

No but that GPA could hurt you. Your MCAT score is solid but I'm not sure what their minimum GPAs are. Good luck

I think that they place a lot of weight on if you're a good fit for the school. So just finish the secondary as soon as you can and don't worry about the numbers right now.

Current second year here (and you will be seeing me at the OMT demos on interview day) but if you have any questions before then PM me, I usually respond pretty quickly. I could gush about the school all day but you may get sick of it; I will leave it at, I have phenomenal and supportive classmates and proffesors who will write a dissertation response to a simple question at two in the morning to make sure you understand the answer. This school cares a lot about heir mission! I am from California so I thought my chances were low, especially with my not so awesome scores, but they saw my tenacity and passion for rural medicine and here I am. It will sound cheesy but on interview day just be yourself, they will see through it if you only say what you think they want to hear.

Reactions: 1 users
Submitted my (already verified) primary late yesterday and got my secondary this morning! Quite impressed with the turnaround time, especially cause I'm OOS

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just finished my secondary here. Midwest applicant so it's a bit of a far shot but we will see! Good luck everyone.

Just finished my secondary here. Midwest applicant so it's a bit of a far shot but we will see! Good luck everyone.

I'm a Midwest applicant with an interview so don't lose hope! It seems mission fit is very important regardless of where you are from.

I'm a Midwest applicant with an interview so don't lose hope! It seems mission fit is very important regardless of where you are from.
Hey when did you receive an II? When were you complete if you dont mind me asking?

II just now. Will be declining but hope it goes to one of you! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah that's the feel I got from the secondary app.