Pacific Northwest University (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essay prompts when available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Am I the only one on SDN applying to this school? I sure hope so but I doubt it lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I the only one on SDN applying to this school? I sure hope so but I doubt it lol
I'm in! Waiting for the secondary, though. Any idea about regional bias for this school?

I'm in! Waiting for the secondary, though. Any idea about regional bias for this school?

Some preference for the "5-state catchment area" but not overly biased to those outside that area from all I have read on SDN.

Matriculants from our 5-state catchment area - 67%
  • Alaska - 3%
  • Idaho - 7%
  • Montana - 5%
  • Oregon - 5%
  • Washington - 47%
Source: http://www.pnwu.edu/admissions/fast-facts/

When do they usually send out secondaries? Looks like a great program !

I was verified on 6/10, but don't have my mcat score yet. From what I read on last year's post, although they do screen for secondaries, they have sent them to those without mcat scores. Hoping to get one soon!

Hmm I'm reapplying here after interviewing last cycle and haven't gotten a secondary

This worries me :(

I got a secondary last cycle (applied September) but this year I got rejected pre-ii even though I applied in June! weird. Good luck all!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a secondary last cycle (applied September) but this year I got rejected pre-ii even though I applied in June! weird. Good luck all!!

Really strange! Did you use the same exact personal statement as last year?

Really strange! Did you use the same exact personal statement as last year?

Kind of, but I did edit it a decent amount but same backbone! Yeah it is strange because if anything my app got better... I emailed them so hopefully they can shed some light!

Congrats, can you post the prompt?

Write a one page, total, essay addressing the following question:
Describe specific experiences you have had with rural and/or underserved populations and how those experiences shaped your desire to attend an osteopathic medical school

Write a one page, total, essay addressing the following question:
Describe specific experiences you have had with rural and/or underserved populations and how those experiences shaped your desire to attend an osteopathic medical school

Thank you. Just to double check, is there any word limit? Also, single or double spaced page?

It doesn't specify. I'm curious what other people are doing with the "activities" section, are you just repeating what was on your primary?

For the sections not marked required, like interests and the emergency contact section, are you guys filling those out or leaving them blank?

@mavric1298 I will be repeating the activities on my primary since I do not have any new ones to add.

Last edited:
I grew up in Victoria, Canada (now live in the US) and have lots of family there still, I also have an aunt living in Seattle. Do you guys think having ties to the area, applying as OOS will help me? Do they give any preference to OOS with ties to the area?

I grew up in Victoria, Canada (now live in the US) and have lots of family there still, I also have an aunt living in Seattle. Do you guys think having ties to the area, applying as OOS will help me? Do they give any preference to OOS with ties to the area?

I know they do take note of it. You may want to call the admissions office to let them know.

Is there a word/character limit with this single prompt?

Does hospice volunteering with the elderly count as working with an underserved population?

Does anyone know the name they have on record on interfolio?

Submitted secondary! Hoping to get some OOS love from this lovely school

I'm a CO resident but used to live in Washington, is there any way I can make this known on my app? Also, I don't think I have any experience working with rural or underserved populations other than a low income nursing home I volunteered at in high school. Should I just go with this for the essay? I sometimes see uninsured/undocumented people at work (scribe) in the hospital but nothing really significant.

I have the same question...Does it specify the format (single space/double space/font/font size etc) for the single essay topic?
I wrote a lot as I tried to incorporate my tie to the region in my work as there is no way for them to know (I don't currently live in the area around the school).

I'm a CO resident but used to live in Washington, is there any way I can make this known on my app? Also, I don't think I have any experience working with rural or underserved populations other than a low income nursing home I volunteered at in high school. Should I just go with this for the essay? I sometimes see uninsured/undocumented people at work (scribe) in the hospital but nothing really significant.

I tried to incorporate the regional tie in my essay...unless we send them an email and tell them about it but I feel it is kind of awkward writing an email just for that haha. Do they have a space where you can provide more information in the app? I am pre writing it so I don't know.

When I wrote my secondary last year, the instructions were similar. They didn't specify font size, single space or double, just page amount. So I added a lot to the essay and wrote it single space with large margins and 10pt font. You should call and ask though. They are really nice about answering questions.

So I'm going to submit LOR beyond what was attached to my AACOMAS primary, but I see they don't have inter folio list as an option? Not sure how to approach this...anyone know if you can transfer from inter folio to VirtualEvals?

What are the word or character limits on the secondary essay questions? I can't seem to find it in my notes

Also, anyone know how long it takes to hear back about an interview invite after submitting the secondary?

What are the word or character limits on the secondary essay questions? I can't seem to find it in my notes

...Because they don't give you a character limit. They give you a page limit.

Anyone having issues with the secondary application? I submitted my secondary questions/essay and have been waiting two weeks for them to update the self service website to say they have received my letters of recommendation. My letters were sent into AACOMAS in May so it isn't an issue on my end. Does it usually take them this long to manually enter that they have received my LOR's? I sent them an email, no reply yet.

^ I called because they said if after a week they weren't updated to...and the very helpful lady on the phone said the person that does the letters was out sick all last week, so to wait till end of this week then check in again

Submitted secondary 7/7/16
Letters of Recommendation marked received/completed 7/21/16

Knowing first-hand how terrifying paperwork is, I'm praying for all those admissions staff this time of the year...

Complete and under review email today at 1634. Submitted secondary on 7/20.

Anyone else's portal change from "No Decision" to "Pending"? (7.22.16)

If they are truly reviewing applications, they are pretty on top of it as compared to last year.

Anyone else's portal change from "No Decision" to "Pending"? (7.22.16)

If they are truly reviewing applications, they are pretty on top of it as compared to last year.

Still "no decision" for me

any OOS applicants still waiting on a secondary? ): was verified before aacomas released primaries to schools, but haven't heard back from this school..

does not being part of the regional preference states equal a very low chance of a secondary or a potentially heavier screen?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

how long did it take you guys to get secondaries? I was verified July 12th and still no news from this school.

any OOS applicants still waiting on a secondary? ): was verified before aacomas released primaries to schools, but haven't heard back from this school..

does not being part of the regional preference states equal a very low chance of a secondary or a potentially heavier screen?

Im OOS with meh stats but was able to write a pretty compelling essay about working with underserved pops. I think they place more emphasis on the underserved issue that wjere youre from...

OOS applicant here and still no secondary either . Verified 7/6 . Hoping for one soon!

I'm OOS and my status changed today from "No Decision" to "Committee".

Reactions: 1 users
I'm an incoming MS1 from OOS and got in with fairly average (maybe slightly below average) stats. I have lots of ties to the region and made sure to really focus on that, as well as incorporating their mission into the secondary. I think they are very big on making sure that the students that end up at PNWU stay in their region.
All the admins have been awesome to work with. If you have any questions, you can PM me. I'm a little busy with moving, but I remember being in your shoes and how nerve wracking the process is.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone having issues with the secondary application? I submitted my secondary questions/essay and have been waiting two weeks for them to update the self service website to say they have received my letters of recommendation. My letters were sent into AACOMAS in May so it isn't an issue on my end. Does it usually take them this long to manually enter that they have received my LOR's? I sent them an email, no reply yet.
I just submitted my secondary app. How long does it take to get an email about the login for the self service website?

it took about 2 weeks last year for me to get it.
Know that the next few weeks are a little crazy with school starting back up again.

Also, last year, they didn't start reviewing applications until September and the first interviews were the first weekend in October.