Overcharged for Equipment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElJanitor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So first post here, but it's something that's been on the back of my mind. I'm currently attending my state school for medical school, and they gave us a tuition breakdown on how much we're being charged for various supplies. The laptop equipment turned about to be slightly less than $1400, but the model of laptop we're being given came out in early 2016 and is now priced at $700. Included in this package was an external disk drive and Microsoft Office 2007.

Is it common for medical schools to overcharge students for supplies?

Members don't see this ad.

Does your school require you to buy the laptop from them? If so, that's bogus.

Maybe its more of a suggestion/recommendation.

Reactions: 1 user
Does your school require you to buy the laptop from them? If so, that's bogus.

Maybe its more of a suggestion/recommendation.
They're pre-purchased already for us; during our orientation week, they were handed out to us.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's some bs. And really Microsoft Office 2007?!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not excusing the price necessarily, but most of the time in this type of situation, you are also purchasing an extremely good warranty. Not that you may ever need it, but at my school we had a similar set up and there was a warranty situation in place where at the drop of a hat if you needed something, you could get your computer replaced, and or get a loaner immediately while they fix your issue.

Reactions: 1 users
That blows but schools overcharging for anything they can is standard.

I'm not excusing the price necessarily, but most of the time in this type of situation, you are also purchasing an extremely good warranty. Not that you may ever need it, but at my school we had a similar set up and there was a warranty situation in place where at the drop of a hat if you needed something, you could get your computer replaced, and or get a loaner immediately while they fix your issue.

I think its more of a case of the school wanting to squeeze every dollar they can out of their students rather than purchasing a nice warranty.

For example, if you purchase a macbook, AppleCare provides 3 years of coverage can be had for ~$150 if you look around on ebay. On top of that, most major credit cards provide 3-4 additional years of extended warranty on top of the manufacturer's warranty as long as you use the credit card for the original transaction. That 6-7 years of coverage for $150! A warranty is no justification to rip students off.

I think its more of a case of the school wanting to squeeze every dollar they can out of their students rather than purchasing a nice warranty.

For example, if you purchase a macbook, AppleCare provides 3 years of coverage can be had for ~$150 if you look around on ebay. On top of that, most major credit cards provide 3-4 additional years of extended warranty on top of the manufacturer's warranty as long as you use the credit card for the original transaction. That 6-7 years of coverage for $150! A warranty is no justification to rip students off.

The warranty on my Mac Book Pro was north of $500, purchased 3-4 months ago. That is what the department paid, so they have zero reason to overpay/charge extra. You have to also remember that enterprise purchases are not always going to be analogous to private purchases in terms of costs or services offered.

Having sat on the other side, it is hard for me to imagine a school trying to "squeeze" money out of their students on these types of things. Sometimes it is incompetence on the part of the people organizing/ordering, or sometimes things just aren't as efficient as private buying. For example, my institution requires the Cadillac warranty on all computer purchases because they are incredibly risk adverse and want to be able to budget exactly how much something is going to cost.

Reactions: 4 users
The warranty on my Mac Book Pro was north of $500, purchased 3-4 months ago. That is what the department paid, so they have zero reason to overpay/charge extra. You have to also remember that enterprise purchases are not always going to be analogous to private purchases in terms of costs or services offered.

Having sat on the other side, it is hard for me to imagine a school trying to "squeeze" money out of their students on these types of things. Sometimes it is incompetence on the part of the people organizing/ordering, or sometimes things just aren't as efficient as private buying. For example, my institution requires the Cadillac warranty on all computer purchases because they are incredibly risk adverse and want to be able to budget exactly how much something is going to cost.

Your's may have been more expensive depending on the specific model and place it was purchased. As an aside, I bought my macbook pro in Oct 2016 and was able to buy AppleCare for $150. Although I did not purchase directly Apple store, but from ebay, I have verified my coverage and will have 3 years of AppleCare.

I have not had any experience in med school administration, but if I were an administrator, I think overcharging students for equipment, supplies, warranties, etc is an easy way to fill the coffers. I mean the school gets more money and it takes no extra effort on the administration's part. It's a win-win for the institution.

That's why as a student, I am very suspicious if my institution requires I purchase things through or directly from them. Luckily, my school does not force students to do so and allows us a lot of freedom and flexibility in purchasing our own equipment.

off topic but -

speaking of warranties I would advise you have a really excellent backup method for you laptop, preferably not just an external hard drive kept in the same backpack - mine was stolen in med school

med school, middle of a busy rotation, is the last time you want a presentation, etc to be gone

loss of data vs loss of device tends to be the real issue to worry about

I kept my med school papers and presentations, often I was able to recycle them in various ways (not in a cheating/plagiarism way, just saying)

IF YOU WANT DETAILS
-comp geeks have a saying, "if the data doesn't exist in triplicate, it doesn't exist." Doesn't have to be every file you own, just the ones you can't bear to live without

-ideal is to have a backup in the Cloud, an off-site backup (why I said not in the same location as your comp), and a 3rd option (possibly an "on-site" back up, this often allows for more data backup for less $ than Cloud, and is more quickly accessed than the off-site back-up). Some might consider the device itself as being your 3rd data copy.

-the Cloud isn't bad, just consider space, money, and how stable the company is, it's possible for a Cloud service to go kaput, hence the need for other backup, there are options & software that will auto backup your data. This is best because the #2 issue for data besides not having a backup method is having a service that just wasn't used.

-you can set up an external hard drive, and set it up to do this automatically. 2 ways:

-a pre-made external drive such as one by Western Digital or Seagate, can be easier to configure for auto-backup, and some come with some amount of Cloud storage as well -HOWEVER- the drives are built so that the enclosure itself, the bridge between the drive and your computer, auto-encrypts your data. This means if something does wrong with the enclosure, but not the drive, (the most common scenario, how many times did you have an electronic that was essentially dead via the micro/usb connection??) you cannot pop out the drive and recover your data. These have been termed "Terminator" drives as they can be a dead end for your data. In conjunction with another backup method this may be fine, but just beware.

-for about $5-20 more than a premade version, about ~$160 I was able to build a 4 TB external drive using a WD Blue desktop drive & an Armer enclosure with a fan (I used the one with the temp sensor but there's one slightly cheaper just as good). I highly recommend a fan because heat is the ultimate enemy of all electronics. You're going to be a doctor, read online how to put one together, that year of physics you did, more than prepares you to handle this all correctly and not short the drive. You could save money with a smaller drive, but 4 TB is the cheapest per TB cost, and these drives have a lower failure rate than ones that are larger (the 8TB drives are not likely to be of benefit for your purposes, they are archival and not meant to be written/re-written as often as you likely need to backup/update your data files). The benefit to building as I did, is that this drive can always be popped out for any IT work it may ever need, it was economical compared to any other method especially for the size. You might not need this much space (I have tons of TV & comics on it), but they say in computers buy more space than you need, you often end up needing it. Desktop drives can often be reused in various ways.

-you will have to get more clever than me in setting up plugging in and auto-backup, which can be done with software, some of which is free online, otherwise this method is manual

-you could get fancier and more expensive with NAS or DAS, the setup above isn't NAS so don't leave them on all the time if they are your main backup unit.

Yea if I had to guess this is the answer. Ours had a warranty that cost about as much as the computer where as long as parts weren't missing, you got whatever replaced free of charge. E.g. could dunk it in a lake, smash it with a bat, whatever, no questions asked, fixed / replaced

Yea if I had to guess this is the answer. Ours had a warranty that cost about as much as the computer where as long as parts weren't missing, you got whatever replaced free of charge. E.g. could dunk it in a lake, smash it with a bat, whatever, no questions asked, fixed / replaced

Yup. Sounds like we might have even gone to the same school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like one of a few things:

1) the seller was a good seller.
2) the buyer was a dumb buyer.
3) the buyer got something from the sale.

That's a terrible price for anything but a high end laptop.

Nothing for you to do but move on with your life.

Reactions: 2 users
My friend at school had to buy their computer and their equipment, which included stuff I find in every exam room. Their excuse was that they loaded required software and they wanted to ensure every student was prepared. My school just gave us requirements and the option to purchase through them. I can almost understand the computer requirements, but was happy to buy most recommended supplies online or to borrow from another student.

Required to take their laptop? I hope you taped over the webcam.

ing thing
Yup. Sounds like we might have even gone to the same school.

Which is why people think they are getting ripped off by their school. It certainly isn't the case every time, but a lot of the time, stuff is added in that costs a lot. My MBP gets replaced by the end of the next business day if there is anything wrong with it. If I need support, during business, I get someone in my office helping me usually within 30 minutes. If it is after hours, it is a number to call, but you bet that it isn't Apple support. Most enterprises go with this solution because they fear the lost productivity more than people abusing it.

Also something to consider, schools/hospitals buy software legit. Something that ahem, many poor students do not do. This immediately can raise the price of a laptop by 20-50% depending on what you need.

The remainder is a warranty that allows complete replacement if broken if it's anything like my school

Oh good lord, I'm sorry OP. This is legitimately criminal and I deeply sympathize with you. To the person talking about the "amazing warranty" that comes with it, c'mon now. My school has tons of latitude dell laptops we can use at any time on campus and even for weeks at a time WITHOUT forcing us to fork over cash for a laptop we don't need.

And lol at the user above me, straight knuckle head talk. Next time you want to be overcharged for software look no further than my inbox.

Side comment: I love how paranoid people from America tend to be as a way to deceive themselves into thinking insurance is a smart proposition. Unless you live in a middle eastern war zones, I'm pretty sure you can manage not to fry your laptop or having it stop working after a year. And if it does, too bad, get a new one (and shop smarter? be less of a klutz?). I can tell you as someone who's somewhat traveled, personal product insurance is almost exclusively an american thing.

Last edited:
I feel your pain OP. I'm not worried about the cost as much as being forced to use an ipad and a MBP for the sake of quizzes and testing. I'm not an Apple guy at all, but looking forward to it since I don't have a choice.

You have significantly underestimated how much of a *****/klutz I am.

Yeah, I know I'm probably spending more than I would for all the same services if I bought it new. But TBH I really don't care...it's a couple hundred bucks out of my 6 figure student loan debt, and it is definitely more convenient if/when things go wrong.

This, my school provided iPads at the market price so we didn't get a warranty or anything. I know a few students whose iPads got destroyed during first 2 years who had to pay to replace them on their own (since we take all our tests on them). I'm guessing adding an extra 2 or 3 hundred bucks to the initial tuition for a warranty would have been a lot more convenient than dropping $700 in the middle of the year out of their monthly budget.

This, my school provided iPads at the market price so we didn't get a warranty or anything. I know a few students whose iPads got destroyed during first 2 years who had to pay to replace them on their own (since we take all our tests on them). I'm guessing adding an extra 2 or 3 hundred bucks to the initial tuition for a warranty would have been a lot more convenient than dropping $700 in the middle of the year out of their monthly budget.
Pretty sure you've got it all wrong. Lol @ your school forcing you to take exams on an iPad. My school is a saint compared to what I'm reading on here.

Pretty sure you've got it all wrong. Lol @ your school forcing you to take exams on an iPad. My school is a saint compared to what I'm reading on here.

Many schools require their students to take tests on iPads or school purchased computers. Not sure why it's an lol situation...

Many schools require their students to take tests on iPads or school purchased computers. Not sure why it's an lol situation...
So because many schools require it, it's a good thing? I find it utterly ridiculous, unless they want to pay for that iPad.

Considering the OP had to pay double, s/he could literally just buy a new laptop if it broke.

So because many schools require it, it's a good thing? I find it utterly ridiculous, unless they want to pay for that iPad.

Obviously overcharging is bad, but I meant that it's a pretty common thing for schools to require their students to purchase a tablet or computer with their tuition. I'm still not sure why you consider requiring students to take tests on a laptop or tablet to be Lol though, seeing as every standardized test you take for your career will be electronic...

off topic but -

speaking of warranties I would advise you have a really excellent backup method for you laptop, preferably not just an external hard drive kept in the same backpack - mine was stolen in med school

med school, middle of a busy rotation, is the last time you want a presentation, etc to be gone

loss of data vs loss of device tends to be the real issue to worry about

I kept my med school papers and presentations, often I was able to recycle them in various ways (not in a cheating/plagiarism way, just saying)

IF YOU WANT DETAILS
-comp geeks have a saying, "if the data doesn't exist in triplicate, it doesn't exist." Doesn't have to be every file you own, just the ones you can't bear to live without

-ideal is to have a backup in the Cloud, an off-site backup (why I said not in the same location as your comp), and a 3rd option (possibly an "on-site" back up, this often allows for more data backup for less $ than Cloud, and is more quickly accessed than the off-site back-up). Some might consider the device itself as being your 3rd data copy.

-the Cloud isn't bad, just consider space, money, and how stable the company is, it's possible for a Cloud service to go kaput, hence the need for other backup, there are options & software that will auto backup your data. This is best because the #2 issue for data besides not having a backup method is having a service that just wasn't used.

-you can set up an external hard drive, and set it up to do this automatically. 2 ways:

-a pre-made external drive such as one by Western Digital or Seagate, can be easier to configure for auto-backup, and some come with some amount of Cloud storage as well -HOWEVER- the drives are built so that the enclosure itself, the bridge between the drive and your computer, auto-encrypts your data. This means if something does wrong with the enclosure, but not the drive, (the most common scenario, how many times did you have an electronic that was essentially dead via the micro/usb connection??) you cannot pop out the drive and recover your data. These have been termed "Terminator" drives as they can be a dead end for your data. In conjunction with another backup method this may be fine, but just beware.

-for about $5-20 more than a premade version, about ~$160 I was able to build a 4 TB external drive using a WD Blue desktop drive & an Armer enclosure with a fan (I used the one with the temp sensor but there's one slightly cheaper just as good). I highly recommend a fan because heat is the ultimate enemy of all electronics. You're going to be a doctor, read online how to put one together, that year of physics you did, more than prepares you to handle this all correctly and not short the drive. You could save money with a smaller drive, but 4 TB is the cheapest per TB cost, and these drives have a lower failure rate than ones that are larger (the 8TB drives are not likely to be of benefit for your purposes, they are archival and not meant to be written/re-written as often as you likely need to backup/update your data files). The benefit to building as I did, is that this drive can always be popped out for any IT work it may ever need, it was economical compared to any other method especially for the size. You might not need this much space (I have tons of TV & comics on it), but they say in computers buy more space than you need, you often end up needing it. Desktop drives can often be reused in various ways.

-you will have to get more clever than me in setting up plugging in and auto-backup, which can be done with software, some of which is free online, otherwise this method is manual

-you could get fancier and more expensive with NAS or DAS, the setup above isn't NAS so don't leave them on all the time if they are your main backup unit.
If you have a newer wireless router, many now have USB ports specifically to set up a network drive. Do no more than plug the drive into your router, map it on your computer, and use any backup software to schedule automatic overnight backups when you're on your home network. The drive never gets moved, jostled, dis/reconnected, and is as temp stable as your house is. It's also pretty unlikely to get stolen or lost.

Sent from my phone, sorry for any typos or brevity.