MD & DO Question about opthalmoscopy and equipment...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atom612

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Soo I'm a new OMS1 and I can't really see well out of one of my eyes (non-correctable), so I would be forced to perform the opthalmoscopy/fundoscopy with my single good eye. When looking at the patient's opposite eye (so straight across when oriented in front of me) I'm bumping noses and basically almost kissing them o_O

We have to practice eye exams on our fellow classmates so I'm really considering dropping an extra grand on a fancy panoptic (has a longer eyepiece, shouldn't be at kissing level). But I was wondering if their use is allowed for boards? I'm a DO student so I don't think I have to do USMLE step 2 CS, but can I use it for the COMLEX level 2? Is it feasible/practical to tote this thing around with me when I actually start rounding?

Has anyone else encountered a problem like this? Should I just suck it up and use the coaxial? I tried using the search function but aside from people being frustrated with fundoscopy in general, no one's complained about this in the past.

Members don't see this ad.

Just pretend you're seeing something with the other eye just to not be awkward. You won't see **** anyway and it won't matter unless you wanna be an ophthalmologist

Your proctors won't call you out on your BS if you do this? Also, is there really no use for fundoscopy clinically outside of opthalmology?

Soo I'm a new OMS1 and I can't really see well out of one of my eyes (non-correctable), so I would be forced to perform the opthalmoscopy/fundoscopy with my single good eye. When looking at the patient's opposite eye (so straight across when oriented in front of me) I'm bumping noses and basically almost kissing them o_O

We have to practice eye exams on our fellow classmates so I'm really considering dropping an extra grand on a fancy panoptic (has a longer eyepiece, shouldn't be at kissing level). But I was wondering if their use is allowed for boards? I'm a DO student so I don't think I have to do USMLE step 2 CS, but can I use it for the COMLEX level 2? Is it feasible/practical to tote this thing around with me when I actually start rounding?

Has anyone else encountered a problem like this? Should I just suck it up and use the coaxial? I tried using the search function but aside from people being frustrated with fundoscopy in general, no one's complained about this in the past.

Please don't waste any money on this. Unless the eyes are dilated, it is difficult to do an adequate fundoscopic exam anyways. Just pretend and move on. Alternatively, you could inform your school of this and see what they say.

AGAIN, DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON THIS!!! It is not a big deal. I suggest a majority of students with two good eyes still can't see much of anything useful.

Reactions: 1 user