Med Students Equipment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socrates89

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where online get I get a good quality penlight/medical torch, not the cheap stuff, I'm also looking for a tuning fork and other tools for physical examination. I tried my school bookshop not worth it. Is there an online site where you can get quality tools for a decent price

Members don't see this ad.

Where online get I get a good quality penlight/medical torch, not the cheap stuff, I'm also looking for a tuning fork and other tools for physical examination. I tried my school bookshop not worth it. Is there an online site where you can get quality tools for a decent price

Don't buy anything other than a stethoscope and a pen light unless you absolutely have to for the school, i.e. you will fail if you dont. Anything you need will be available in the clinics, so spending money on tuning forks and other equipment is a waste.

As a med student, it's not a bad idea to go with the cheap stuff. The one notable exception may be stethoscope, but there is no reason to go crazy with that purchase either (but a nice one could last you a while). Your things will be borrowed, stolen, etc. No need to go fancy with most of your equipment.

And why do you need a nice penlight? Those things get lost more than anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Preon P2

Pen-sized, selectable strength (lowest setting is comfortable enough to shine in patient's eyes, medium setting gives strong clear light for oral exams, highest setting will get pupils to constrict in a brightly-lit trauma bay and is useful as a light for bedside procedures).

Love this thing.

Amazon. Plus, you get free 2-day shipping with Prime as a student.

Get a micro LED light - it's the size of a quarter and fits on a keychain.

This is what every ophthalmology resident used where I trained, and this is all you need. You can get them for a few dollars on Amazon or a place like REI.

Don't spend fifty bucks on a penlight. There are 6-packs on amazon for $8. Each one lasts a couple months. I still have some left over and I bought them 2 years ago.

I wouldn't even bother buying a tuning fork. Borrow one from a classmate if it's required for the neuro rotation.

To me "quality tool" means that it functions as intended and will last a while. That's really all you need as a medical student. Buy the fancy stuff when you match into a field that requires it.

Don't spend fifty bucks on a penlight. There are 6-packs on amazon for $8. Each one lasts a couple months. I still have some left over and I bought them 2 years ago.

I wouldn't even bother buying a tuning fork. Borrow one from a classmate if it's required for the neuro rotation.

As mentioned above, you don't really need "quality tools" so long as they function as intended.

It's not just a penlight; it's a weapon.

Equipment has a tendency to... wander... in the hospital. Don't pay too much for something unless you're ok with losing it. Sometimes cheap and replaceable is better.

It also sucks to get your $30 penlight soaked in blood and then try to get it clean.

The only thing I spend extra on is my stethoscope.

Stethoscopes are the worst for wandering when an attending needs to borrow one NOW and *poof* you never see it again. Flashy tubing colors, engraved name on the bell, stickers, it doesn't matter they just disappear.

I like having nice things and taking care of them too. I'd say get both - a nice light for the non-icky rotations and beyond and a set of cheapo plastic ones for the ones involving copious amounts of bodily fluid. Amazon is a good place to start looking.

I haven't lost a stethoscope since I invested $4 in a stethoscope belt holster.

Lol. If one of my classmates showed up with a stethoscope holster, I would not let him live it down. There would be a LOT of bad cowboy puns.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=261283985759&siteId=0&isClassified=false

This light is the same idea as the one visionary tics posted. I like the look of that one btw. But this one is only $20. It looks better in person than in the picture. Fits perfectly in a lab coat pocket (about the same size as those cheapo pen lights) . I had one for a while and several other residents got one. It is solid metal. The button clicks the light on and off, so you don't need to hold it down to keep the light on. It is very bright and great for 5am wound care without even turning to room lights on. The only downside is that it is too bright to check pupils. But I just partially cover the light with my finger to avoid having the patient see spots.

Lol. If one of my classmates showed up with a stethoscope holster, I would not let him live it down. There would be a LOT of bad cowboy puns.

I know... not everyone is cool enough to pull it off :laugh:

But it's especially fun now. On my belt I have my stethoscope holster right next to my 9mm pistol. So when I reach for my stethoscope, if the patient becomes a threat to myself or the ER crew, I just have to move my hand 2 inches and unholster my gun.

I know... not everyone is cool enough to pull it off :laugh:

But it's especially fun now. On my belt I have my stethoscope holster right next to my 9mm pistol. So when I reach for my stethoscope, if the patient becomes a threat to myself or the ER crew, I just have to move my hand 2 inches and unholster my gun.

Bahaha. It's brave of you to go there, especially with what's been happening over the past few years. I'd argue that if you wanted to escape the puns, it'd at least have to be a .45

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

Get a cheap pen light because it will get lost or stolen. Most everything else is in hospitals / clinics. Get a decent steth, but don't go all out on that either because in a few years we all will be doing portable ultrasounds instead of auscultating the heart. Steth will only be needed for lungs.

Don't buy anything. There are free stethescopes on the wards in the stock room for isolation rooms. Most everything else will be in the clinic for you.