UAB Diagnostic Equipment Purchases - am I tested on "student" models provided by UAB or what I purchase for myself?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureOrtho2024

Reaction score
I have finished the Fundamentals at UAB and begin training to use medical instruments such as stethoscopes after winter break. Will UAB test students using university provided "standard" student grade instruments, or using the equipment I buy? For example, if I buy the Master Cardiology Littmann scope, will I be tested for Step 2 Clinical Skills using what I own or some student grade standard tool set, and does the introduction to clinical medicine course at UAB test you using their standard student stethoscope or whatever I buy for myself? It seems better to purchase and train on what I will be tested with rather than buying better tools that would presumably improve my ability to see and hear better via better grade tools. True?

Members don't see this ad.

I have finished the Fundamentals at UAB and begin training to use medical instruments such as stethoscopes after winter break. Will UAB test students using university provided "standard" student grade instruments, or using the equipment I buy? For example, if I buy the Master Cardiology Littmann scope, will I be tested for Step 2 Clinical Skills using what I own or some student grade standard tool set, and does the introduction to clinical medicine course at UAB test you using their standard student stethoscope or whatever I buy for myself? It seems better to purchase and train on what I will be tested with rather than buying better tools that would presumably improve my ability to see and hear better via better grade tools. True?

You use your own stethoscope for CS IIRC, but honestly it doesn't matter because the physical findings during the exam are mostly nonexistent. You just have do the right exams and ask the right questions for the history presented. 99% of the time during your exam there will be no objective findings (ie not just the SP expressing pain when you touch the sweet spot) relevant to the case.

More important is convincingly being able to tell your attending during 3rd year that "yes I do hear the murmur" when you hear jacksh1t.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt anyone here can answer how UAB will test you. I would ask them.

I don't remember for sure, but I think you can use your own stethoscope on CS. It doesn't really matter if you can actually auscultate properly. You just have to be able to go through the motions.

On skills exams you're either going to be dealing with a mannequin or standardized patient, neither of which is going to have a subtle murmur you need to diagnose.

You bring your own stethoscope to Step 2 CS. I didn't go to UAB but would imagine it's the same. Regardless, not sure how an SP is going to be able to simulate a murmur.