OSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
received the call today to interview for the bridge program on the 31st.

Congrats, I didn't know you had to interview twice. Does that change your chances of coming off the waitlist? For example, if they do not want you as a bridge, does it hurt your waitlist now and vice versa if the like you? Could you get two offers and decide?

Did you apply/interview bridge last year?

Members don't see this ad.

i will really like to know if the pre-histology class the bridge student take is online or not

to my knowledge pre histo is not online

I am not sure if it helps waitlist status. it could delay your status as they try to figure out where they want you. personally I don't care as I just want to be a doctor and five years doesn't matter to me since it will actually be a easier route.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, pre-histo is all online and led via powerpoints just as is will be in actual class. That is one thing I've asked on many occasions. The only time you have to come to the school is if you're in need of using library resources.

is it a true online class or are the slides posted for you if you miss class? I was under the impression that as a bridge student it was a required class with exams.

i will really like to know if the pre-histology class the bridge student take is online or not

The bridge program means you take the 1st year of medical courses divided over 2 years so it takes you 5 years to graduate.

THe pre-histo/neuro class is requires for the bridge students and optional for the regular students. The bridge students are required to come to campus for the pre-histo/neuro course and it is taught by a prof at the school (I forget which one). Regular students can just take the course online if they want or they can ask if they can attend lecture. This is what lindsey told us on interview day since many asked about the summer course.

Prehisto/Neuro is mandatory for Bridge students: Monday-Thursday 9-4 and all day exams on Fridays...very intense and very helpful.

The online course is truly online....

Dr. Meek is the main instuctor...But Dr. Wilson teaches a fair part and Dr. Jarolim teaches the Intro to Neuroanatomy section...and the TA's (I will be one for the summer and fall) teach the Lab portion.

This is a very intensive course and an absolute advantage for the Fall Histo.

Feel free to PM me or post if you have any specific questions.

I know my question is kind of silly, but I remember the OSU students recommending us to get a tablet PC at the interview day. I was trying to figure out how much battery life I would need on a tablet so I was wondering, are there outlets available to charge the laptops while taking notes in the classrooms?

Dont get a tablet unless you really want it. If you do get a tablet, you don't have to go with the school recommendation either as it is nothing but trouble.

Every student I have talked to said they only reason a tablet is it is handy for histo, but after that it is just a laptop and therefore get a computer you like and will want to use for a while. Check out the facebook group in my link for some disccusions on this topic.

Me, typically a pc person, will be getting a mac as I have now burned through three pc's two dell and one hp in undergrad, yet I see people still using macs with no or few issues to date that are older than all three of mine.

As to charging outlets, the two largest lecture halls do have available outlets as do the break-out rooms and therefore should never be an issue to charge.

thanks guys that is about what I thought the class was.
it is required for bridge students to score 70 or better in that class and during the bridge year to stay in the program right?

That was very helpful guys.....at least now i know. good luck to everyone still waiting to interview like me.:D:):luck:

thanks guys that is about what I thought the class was.
it is required for bridge students to score 70 or better in that class and during the bridge year to stay in the program right?

I was under the impression 70-84 keeps you in the program but a 85 or better is required to move on and not remediate the course. At least in first year, I don't know if that applies to the summer course

I'd like to know how much of the waitlist gets accepted from this point onward. I actually know someone who has an interview in the last week of March, which seems really late.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to know how much of the waitlist gets accepted from this point onward. I actually know someone who has an interview in the last week of March, which seems really late.

You could look at last years thread and get a loose generalization

I have been on the waitlist since November and it is really draining. I hope there is some movement soon... I just want to know where and what Ill be doing this fall.

so does this mean all of the prospective interviewees for the bridge program were called last week, or do you guys think they will call more this week. I thought I had good chances for an interview, but I guess not :(.

Phange, just in case you didn't know, the waitlist at osu is completely different than the ou waitlist. At this point there is no rank for the waitlisters. Basically a waitlist at osu right now is equal to a deferrement at ou. You get deferred until each time the committee meets, and that point a new decision is made to keep you on the waitlist or accept.

so does this mean all of the prospective interviewees for the bridge program were called last week, or do you guys think they will call more this week. I thought I had good chances for an interview, but I guess not :(.
when i got the call thursday she said many other people were many calls also...so my guess is they called everyone that they wanted to interview. hopefully a miracle happens and u get a call. when she call she introduced her self and asked me if i was still interested in interviewing for the brigde, i said OFFCOURSE! i got the first available interview date and that was the last spot for the day.

The waitlist will be cut down in size in the month of may, "I think", to the final waitlist. At that point the odds of getting pulled off of the waitlist increase a bit I think if you make the final list. I think they only keep a few more than they think there will be slots for. Unfortunatly I made the final list last year and did not get in.

I know this is a pretty late reply saylorsdad but I got waitlisted as well. When you say cut down are they going to send you another letter if you didn't make the final cut?

hey, mimi2kul do you mind telling me your gpa and mcat score?

Anyone have any idea when the adcom is meeting again?

they will send another letter letting you know when they cut the waitlist down.

Does anyone know how many actual spots are left? I know they are still interviewing but do not know how many spots are actually left... I assume there are not many left as it is toward the end of the interview process but does anyone know the exact number?

Thanks

Does anyone know how many actual spots are left? I know they are still interviewing but do not know how many spots are actually left... I assume there are not many left as it is toward the end of the interview process but does anyone know the exact number?

Thanks

I am pretty sure OSU does not release that info.

I understand how OSU's waitlist works, but what confuses me is if they ever "drop" you from the wait list. Can they meet and essentially cut people OFF the waitlist?

I understand how OSU's waitlist works, but what confuses me is if they ever "drop" you from the wait list. Can they meet and essentially cut people OFF the waitlist?

I think the only way to get dropped is by not making the final waitlist

I think the only way to get dropped is by not making the final waitlist

So, essentially, as the previous guy mentioned, it's really nothing more than a deferral until the final waitlist is established. There's always the potential of getting cut off (or, hopefully, accepted) before then.

So I went sifting through last year's OSUCOM thread and saw that there was a lot of waitlist movement at the beginning of April, right after the last round of interviews which seemed to be around the same date of this year's last round...

I know my question is kind of silly, but I remember the OSU students recommending us to get a tablet PC at the interview day. I was trying to figure out how much battery life I would need on a tablet so I was wondering, are there outlets available to charge the laptops while taking notes in the classrooms?

There is ample outlet availability. The tablet is useful primarily for histo, but I have found it very useful for notetaking and various other tech aspects. I definately would NOT recommend the Toshiba that the school suggests...good computer and amazing warranty, but way too expensive in my opinion..price of a decent used car. I have a few friends with MACs at the school...they love them and have absolutely no complaints. I would suggest you do thorough research and find the best computer for you.

Last edited:
Seems fair to me that they don't have a lot of movement until interviews end. I know from experience that having a late interview can be a death wish at some schools so I'm glad OSU has the courtesy to give late-March interviewees a chance.

Have to say I'm very impressed with the courtesy they show applicants!

i interviewed LAST YEAR and didn't get accepted, but this year I did. I interviewed in February last year :rolleyes:

Seems fair to me that they don't have a lot of movement until interviews end. I know from experience that having a late interview can be a death wish at some schools so I'm glad OSU has the courtesy to give late-March interviewees a chance.

Have to say I'm very impressed with the courtesy they show applicants!

thats because OSU is an awsome school!

phange, if you dont mind me being nosy, when you called Lindsey to find out what you could do about your waitlist status, what did she say?

thats because OSU is an awsome school!

phange, if you dont mind me being nosy, when you called Lindsey to find out what you could do about your waitlist status, what did she say?

I didn't call after getting my waitlist letter in the mail. I received a call from OSU basically telling me that they couldn't discuss status over the phone.

Thanks for your responses Phlame217 and nobleheart. It's all good to know. I've just been looking up tablet PCs, and they seem really neat, except for yeah, somewhat expensive. So far, I really like Fujitsu tablets, but I'll probably try and see whether I will be able to find them on sale within the next few months.

I was recently called for an interview for the OSU-Bridge Program. has anyone gone through this program and could give any guidance on the interview question. Are the Medical lectures recorded at OSU. Are Module notes given?

Hey cb539 when did you get your call.

Cool, I wonder how many people will be interviewing for the 9 bridge program spots.

I think it is three days of interviews 8 per day.

Does anyone know if the OSU-COM Bridge interview is open or closed file. Are the interview questions for the bridge similar to the medical school interview?

I thought I heard the admission staff say it was closed file.

It is the same as the regular program interview. Closed file, very relaxed

I was wondering if anyone knew of someone that was a previous Bridge program student that wouldn't mind talking about the process!

Yeah I'm interested in that also. I also would like to know the total numbers of bridge applicants interviewed and the date acceptance letters are given.

Has anyone heard if the committee is meeting this week?

Has anyone heard if the committee is meeting this week?

Interviews end today, so I'd assume there will be some sort of meeting either at the end of this week or next week. I don't know how long it'll take for decisions to be made, though. Seems like the beginning of April is when the waitlist really gets moving (as expected, to be fair) so hopefully we'll find out more information in the following week.

Let's hope they don't have a cruel April Fool's joke waiting, though :laugh:

bridge interviews end friday. interviews went really good today.

I loved this school but not sure if I'm going to medical school, because I want to increase my world experiences. I'll let you all know if I withdraw my acceptance. Best of luck! :)

bridge applicants have a total of 4days of interview. 9 each day for a total of 36ppl competing for the 9slots. so u do the math, if u interviewed, u have a 1:4 chance of being accepted. i interviewed on tuesday and we had a good group.