~~~ OSU-COM Class of 2010 ~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DrMom said:
First year of residency would be tough like 3rd year of medical school, but again...people manage. Right at the end of residency has worked really well for some women I've talked with.

Okay, that's what I needed to know. Now, we have some decision making to do. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

DrMom said:
You're somewhat limited in the time you can take off simply because of the volume and scheduling. They've all been back pretty quickly. Sometimes they're back to take a test(s) within a week or two, but they've pretty much been back to normal class/rotation within 4 weeks. Don't expect a normal maternity leave unless you're doing this during the clinical years and have 2 elective months in a row that happen to fall when you deliver.
Has anyone taken a year off or had that situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
mshheaddoc said:
Has anyone taken a year off or had that situation?

I've not heard of anyone trying to do this for a baby, but people have been permitted to stop mid year for other personal reasons. They end up having to do an entire year to make it up even if they had successfully completed part of the school year. I'm not sure if the same requirement would hold for the clinical years, though, cause I've only run across people who've done it during the pre-clinical years.

Anbody hear anything on the scholarships that we could apply for after our acceptances? Any upperclassmen know about how much they award?

I was wondering I cant remember much from interview day, but do we get free printing at school as long as we provide paper or how does that work. I think I may be getting schools mixed up.

DO_Doc said:
I was wondering I cant remember much from interview day, but do we get free printing at school as long as we provide paper or how does that work. I think I may be getting schools mixed up.

You get free printing to an extent (you are given a specific number of pages.) After that, you must provide paper.

The library has laser printers and color printing.

BobBarker said:
That kinda stinks. At OSU-Stillwater, we have free printing with no limit on quantity.

this changed within the past year, I know OSU-tulsa has gone to this system as well and I'd bet OSU-stillwater isn't far behind.

Hernandez said:
this changed within the past year, I know OSU-tulsa has gone to this system as well and I'd bet OSU-stillwater isn't far behind.
The printing is really not that bad, for about six bucks, you get 1000 pieces of paper on top of the 500 they give you. This is more than enough for the semester. My undergrad institution had unlimited free printing too, but nwo that I'm here I don't mind at all.
Westport isn't that bad either, I konw alot of people from my class who live here. It's perfect for your first semester, and i haven't heard many complaints. The crime isn't as bad as it is talked up on here.

Congratulations to all of you on your acceptances, we'll see you in August!

Technically OSU doens't have the hospital as Ardent still owes and operates it. OSU-COM just has the "residencies" but also policy control for the residencies which is great. So we'll see what Ardent actually has control over. ;) Its great news and I'm glad that its over. One less thing to worry about for the next 50 years! :D

Anybody going to the next admitted student day in June?

Members don't see this ad :)
fraggle said:

Fraggle, did you go to the last one? I didn't know if I needed to go to both of them.

I was at the last one, so I'm not sure if it would be that necessary to go to the next one. It would be nice to meet some more of our classmates, but I don't really want to sit through all the other stuff again. The food was pretty good though...

fraggle said:

I went to the one in Feb. I was actually wondering the same thing, do we need to go to the one in June if we have already been to the one in Feb? Will there be anything different?

DO_Doc said:
I went to the one in Feb. I was actually wondering the same thing, do we need to go to the one in June if we have already been to the one in Feb? Will there be anything different?

Neither of them are required, so you don't need to go. Most of the agenda will be the same, but there may be some new faces. If you have the free time, go for the free food and social time with your new classmates. If it is inconvenient for you to go to, then no big deal.

Hi everyone! I have just recieved my acceptance letter yesterday from the UPS man (I love him)! YEA! I am very excited to attend OSU in the fall, and meet everyone. I will be there in June at the admitted student day, so hope to see you there. Just wanted to say HELLO! :p

jules*do said:
Hi everyone! I have just recieved my acceptance letter yesterday from the UPS man (I love him)! YEA! I am very excited to attend OSU in the fall, and meet everyone. I will be there in June at the admitted student day, so hope to see you there. Just wanted to say HELLO! :p

CONGRATS!

Enjoy your summer, and don't do anything school related!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the school schedule for MS1 throughout the week. I am trying to figure out exactly what my schedule may permit during the school year? All I know is that we have lecture in the morning and labs in the afternoon. So I guess can anyone one tell me like what a typical day would be like Monday through Friday?

DO_Doc said:
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the school schedule for MS1 throughout the week. I am trying to figure out exactly what my schedule may permit during the school year? All I know is that we have lecture in the morning and labs in the afternoon. So I guess can anyone one tell me like what a typical day would be like Monday through Friday?

M- 1pm-3pm OR 3pm-5pm: Anatomy Lab (changes throughout the semester)

T- 9am-Noon: Lectures; 1pm-5pm: Anatomy & Histology Lab

W- 9am-Noon: Lectures; 1p-3p OR 3p-5p: OMM Lab (changes during semester)

R- 9am-Noon: Lectures; 1pm-5pm: Anatomy & Histology Lab

F- 9am-Noon: Lectures

I just thought of another question that I have been really thinking about. My question is concerning internship/residency. How was time is there typically from graduating and beginning of internship? Also at what point in our education do we find out results of our match? Oh...last question...how was time is there typically from the end of the second year and begining of rotations in third year?

DO_Doc said:
I just thought of another question that I have been really thinking about. My question is concerning internship/residency. How was time is there typically from graduating and beginning of internship? Also at what point in our education do we find out results of our match? Oh...last question...how was time is there typically from the end of the second year and begining of rotations in third year?

The match occurs in the spring of your 4th year. You will start your internship year a couple of months after graduation.

The second year ends the first week of May. Board review occurs during May. People typically take boards in mid-June. First day of clinicals is July 1st.

You have the option of taking 1-2 months off during your clinical years.

OSUdoc08 said:
The match occurs in the spring of your 4th year. You will start your internship year a couple of months after graduation.

The second year ends the first week of May. Board review occurs during May. People typically take boards in mid-June. First day of clinicals is July 1st.

You have the option of taking 1-2 months off during your clinical years.

Thank you OSUdoc08 for the quick responses. I really appreciate it.

Time offfrom graduation is from about now in May (graduation is Saturday) until mid June when you will start your internship. You have off in May though ;)

Keep in mind, too, that many people have to move to another part of the country during that time between graduation and starting residency. Also, although most residencies officially start July 1, most of them have some sort of orientation before that...often at least a week long.

But don't worry about any of that yet :)

Abe said:
what goes on during the admitted student day?

Mostly just social time with your class. There are a few informational presentations as well.

Any native students going here? I am going to cornell and I can't seen to find any other native american med students anywhere.

Cool.

DrMom said:
We usually have quite a few students in each class who are on the tribal registries.

Most of the students must be about 1/1000th Cherokee or some other civilized tribe with low blood requirements..

BobBarker said:
Most of the students must be about 1/1000th Cherokee or some other civilized tribe with low blood requirements..

I'd say just about everyone is that much at least.

I'm 1/16 Cherokee, but do not report it.

akaz said:
Any native students going here? I am going to cornell and I can't seen to find any other native american med students anywhere.

Next year will be the first year of a Association of Native American Medical Students club here at OSU-COM. I will be the Vice President for the year, and we hope to have some great activities throughout the semesters.

I have tried to look for resources on internship and residencies. Does anyone have ideas where I may be able to find this information. I am just curious to see what programs are ranked and where in the nation.

DO_Doc said:
I have tried to look for resources on internship and residencies. Does anyone have ideas where I may be able to find this information. I am just curious to see what programs are ranked and where in the nation.

These 2 lists are about as comprehensive as they get. The first is mainly Allopathic, the 2nd is supposedly the complete Osteopathic list. FREIDA and AOA Database. but as far as I know, there are no formal rankings.

Are individuals just accepted to the Bridge Program invited to the Admitted Students Day in June? I know a guy that started last year in the Bridge Program whom is participating in this years White Coat Ceremony, so I was unsure as to when they are considered MS-I's. Thanks.

They're medical students after they've successfully completed the bridge program. The bridge program lasts 1 year (including the summer before and the summer after the regular semesters)

DrMom said:
They're medical students after they've successfully completed the bridge program. The bridge program lasts 1 year (including the summer before and the summer after the regular semesters)

So, are they able to go to the admitted students day?

Cool! I am 3/4, cherokee eastern band and enrolled Ojibwa. The reason why I ask. When I was at Harvard, I was working on a project called Choctaw Familial scleroderma. The Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma has the highest rate of this disease in the world. It is terrible disease. The Choctaw Nation, Cherokee, Mohawk, Inuit, Ho-Chunk, and Ojibwa also have extraordinary high rates of the relatives lupus (mostly pediatric lupus), pediatric arthritus, all the vascultis--my brother had the Henoch Schonlein form and almost died. I know numerous sick native kids with these diseases. Anyway, a choctaw law student (she has lost a lot of family to scleroderma) and I formed a nonprofit, called the choctaw scleroderma foundation. We have raised a great deal of money and have convinced rheumatologists at Brigham and Women's Hospital to donate their time for free care. However, we are looking for future native physicians to be on the board etc or be involved with the project. We are extending it to care for all of the rheumatic disease. We want to put the word out.
petstoreboy said:
Next year will be the first year of a Association of Native American Medical Students club here at OSU-COM. I will be the Vice President for the year, and we hope to have some great activities throughout the semesters.

How many people plan to take the pre-histology course this summer?

OSU2010 said:

Two of my friends and I are planning on taking it. Can anyone say if it is very helpful? I've heard both ways.

akaz said:
Anyway, a choctaw law student (she has lost a lot of family to scleroderma) and I formed a nonprofit, called the choctaw scleroderma foundation.

Sounds like a neat project there, But someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Scleroderma pts have the same life expectancy as healthy pts and only differ in the morbidity?

OSU2010 said:

Part of me would tell you don't take it, enjoy your time off, but then when half of the class will fail the first anatomy and histo tests, I find it hard not to say go for it if you wish.

Unfortunately, it depends. It depends on what type. Often on the path analysis of the skin, if there is a loss of the marker t-bet, it is quite sever, with skin, lung and kidney fibrosis. This often has a life expectany of 5 years. Diffuse scleroderma often is milder. It really depends on what type and what transcription factors are downregulated.

Hernandez said:
Sounds like a neat project there, But someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Scleroderma pts have the same life expectancy as healthy pts and only differ in the morbidity?

Part of me would tell you don't take it, enjoy your time off, but then when half of the class will fail the first anatomy and histo tests, I find it hard not to say go for it if you wish.

Oh and for you '07 applicants that are lurking some inside information that the class size will increase to 98 students from 88 students in 2007. So I'm guessing it will be for class of '12.

i got my financial aid stuff last week im pretty lost with this stuff what lender is every1 choosin? why am i choosing a lender if all i want is stafford loans? I thought they come from the government

Abe said:
i got my financial aid stuff last week im pretty lost with this stuff what lender is every1 choosin? why am i choosing a lender if all i want is stafford loans? I thought they come from the government

No, the loans do not come from the government.

Use Total Higher Education (T.H.E.) for your loans, as they have the best plan --> http://www.northstar.org

OSUdoc08 said:
No, the loans do not come from the government.

Use Total Higher Education (T.H.E.) for your loans, as they have the best plan --> http://www.northstar.org

Yep. I'm chose T.H.E. because I have heard from everyone that it is the best.