OSU-COM class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I used to live in Broken Arrow and commute to TU. I did that for two years. I lived pretty far out in BA, so it took about 25-30 minutes to get to TU which is slightly closer than OSU-COM is to BA. IMHO, BA is one of Tulsa's safest suburbs. Getting a house there would be much cheaper than in the midtown area, which is ironically where I will be moving in about a month (I currently live at TU in a dorm).

Anyways, now for my off the topic question:

I was talking with some non-premed friends the other day about med school, internship year, residency and so forth. A question arose that couldn't answer. I have done a site-wide search and didn't find anything. I also looked at OSU-COM's site and couldn't find the answer, so here goes.

Is there a stipend during the internship year?

What if you are doing something like the specialty track IM residency that combines the internship and residency?

I couldn't find anything on the OSU-COM site that stated anything about a stipend for PGY-1. Thanks in advance. I am sure this is common knowledge, so I apologize for my ignorance.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by carDiO
I used to live in Broken Arrow and commute to TU. I did that for two years. I lived pretty far out in BA, so it took about 25-30 minutes to get to TU which is slightly closer than OSU-COM is to BA. IMHO, BA is one of Tulsa's safest suburbs. Getting a house there would be much cheaper than in the midtown area, which is ironically where I will be moving in about a month (I currently live at TU in a dorm).

Anyways, now for my off the topic question:

I was talking with some non-premed friends the other day about med school, internship year, residency and so forth. A question arose that couldn't answer. I have done a site-wide search and didn't find anything. I also looked at OSU-COM's site and couldn't find the answer, so here goes.

Is there a stipend during the internship year?

What if you are doing something like the specialty track IM residency that combines the internship and residency?

I couldn't find anything on the OSU-COM site that stated anything about a stipend for PGY-1. Thanks in advance. I am sure this is common knowledge, so I apologize for my ignorance.

Yes, PGY1 includes a stipend. I went looking also, & you're right about htere not being any information on the website. I don't know why there isn't, but I have talked to interns.

Also, I agree that BA is going to be less expensive than midtown Tulsa. Where to live depends completely on what you want/need. If you're looking for an apartment, I don't see any reason why you'd need to go that far out (no need for more than a 15 minute commute). If you're wanting a house, school district, etc then it all changes.

The wife and I went browsing Tulsa yesterday. It seems like there are plenty of homes for sale in the TU and Midtown areas. They are mostly small two beds.

We own a 3bed/2bath house (built 1986) now that we will try to sell for about 90K in Norman. Where are those kind of houses in Tulsa?

Also, we checked out Sapulpa and Sand Springs. SS was very confusing and we had trouble finding where most of the housing was. It didn't seem as close as it looked on the map.

Sapulpa seemed livable, but I really want to experience Tulsa and not just be a commuter.

Any thoughts? Anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
midtown house for sale 85,000 3bedroom 1 bath pm me :D. 30 sec from the the highway actually, 10 minutes to downtown. My parents are selling it =). 31st and Memorial.

Originally posted by kwooder
The wife and I went browsing Tulsa yesterday. It seems like there are plenty of homes for sale in the TU and Midtown areas. They are mostly small two beds.

We own a 3bed/2bath house (built 1986) now that we will try to sell for about 90K in Norman. Where are those kind of houses in Tulsa?

Also, we checked out Sapulpa and Sand Springs. SS was very confusing and we had trouble finding where most of the housing was. It didn't seem as close as it looked on the map.

Sapulpa seemed livable, but I really want to experience Tulsa and not just be a commuter.

Any thoughts? Anyone?

Did you check out Jenks? (the older downtown part, not the new huge houses ;) )

Originally posted by DrMom
Did you check out Jenks? (the older downtown part, not the new huge houses ;) )

We're going to look at Jenks and some other parts of Tulsa on the next visit. Her Gma used to live at 31st and Mingo and sold her house for ~90K. Seems like there would be some 3beds there? Anyone know what that area is like?

Hello all, I got my letter the day after Thanksgiving.... I had my interview on the 18th of Nov. I am stoked,,,, I can not wait to start.. is everyone going to the Feb. 6th admitted student day?

BTW,,,, my name is Patrick Ballard, graduated from NSU in Tahlequah with my undergrad( cell bio), then from OSU Stillwater with my Masters. I live here in Broken Arrow, and work at Hillcrest.

Can't wait to meet you all...

Congrates to everyone!!!!!!

Originally posted by xray1murphy
Hello all, I got my letter the day after Thanksgiving.... I had my interview on the 18th of Nov. I am stoked,,,, I can not wait to start.. is everyone going to the Feb. 6th admitted student day?

BTW,,,, my name is Patrick Ballard, graduated from NSU in Tahlequah with my undergrad( cell bio), then from OSU Stillwater with my Masters. I live here in Broken Arrow, and work at Hillcrest.

Can't wait to meet you all...

Congrates to everyone!!!!!!

Where do you live in BA, man? I am right on 111th and Elm.

Originally posted by BUmedic
OK I've narrowed it down to these for Tulsa apartments. I'm visiting on the 29th of this month, so any help and tips beforehand would be appreciated.

1. Westport on the River

2. Fountain Crest

3. Avondale

4. Deerfield Estates

Thanks! If you tell me something negative about a particular apartment, tell me something positive also if ya can.......

westport = teh debil

Funny enough I live at 91st and Elm, right across from St. Francis BA

Hey Homunculus,
My wife says stay away from Deerfield Estates, she says it is totally ghetto. Really do not now anything good, her sister use to live there. What price range are you looking at, and how close to the school do you want to be? I have some friends that have rent houses down near 41st and riverside.

Let me know, and we can see what they have....

Hey x-ray, congrats on the acceptance...look forward to seeing you on the 6th

Members don't see this ad :)
xray, did you wear a blue tie to your interview? on 18th of Nov

DrDad
dad of three

Blue tie, black suit, lots of sweating.... That was me,,,,LOL..

you looked pretty calm to me...

DrDad

Originally posted by DrDad
model citizen...

is your first choice to go MD though?

Only reason I ask is that I am second career and I was not pursuing my first love, medicine, and later I realized that I DO NOT want to be an MD. I would rather be a DO as result of where I have been, am and will be in life.

Just my two cents but I hope to see you at OSU anyway

DrDad
Yes, my first choice was to go MD. I don't really care that much about the letters behind my name, but I'm dreading the time wasted on OMM. but hey, beggars can't be choosers, right?
see you in the fall.

BUmedic,
sorry about the miss post, I will check and see what they might have. Also, being by brookside, there are a lot of little apartments above and behind alot of the restaurants and shops that are fairly nice, and cheep.

DrDad,
thanks, I was a little nervous that day. It seems like most of the DOs that I work with are second career students also.

... DOs that I work with are second career students also.

xray1murphy and DrDad,

We should start a second career thread.

Originally posted by BUmedic
xray, that was me that made the post.

I'm looking for a 1bed/1bath, under $400. Yeah I'm cheap. I've lived in many ghetto apts. in my day.

talk about ghetto apts.... dont get caught by the school on 21st at night unless you are ready to be approached to be sold to

just a thought

DrDad

Hello. I haven't posted on here yet, so I thought I would put my two-sense in on the housing. I live off Riverside right north of 61st St. in a very safe neighborhood. Aside from my neighborhood, I wouldn't live anywhere near here. I am between 61st and 56th(which cuts through from Riverside to Peoria). Even some of the houses on the north side of 56th aren't the greatest little things in the world. As for you BUmedic, if you are wanting to save money, like DrMom said, the $25/month places are not too bad from what I hear.

Hello? Hello? Where did everyone go? Have not heard anything in a while, figured I would post some BS question to see if I could keep the conversation going for OSU....

I know that at least one person is interested in the mission trips, is anyone else?
I talked to some of the students at OSU, they said that every summer they try to take one, last year they went to Honduras, funny thing was, I was there about a month earlier on a Scuba vacation.

That's awesome. Missions are part of my plan as well. I was hoping that there was a group that did this sort of thing. When do they go? Summer MSI, MSII? What else have you heard about details?

Scuba, huh? Must be absolutely rough. ;)

I know that at least one person is interested in the mission trips, is anyone else?
Definitely. I'd like to do at least one during one of the summers. I'm looking into funding now. Any ideas?
Did any of you do any mission work in college?

I know they go every summer, it is funded by one of the clubs, but there is some out of pocket expense. One thing is for sure, I would get a passport now, I heard it is kind of a lengthy process now. I plan on hitting up my church for some funding when I go, they are really good people. As for which summer, I think it is of preference to you. I don't think there is a rule on going more than one time.

We can find out all the details on the sixth, but how cool would this be? Dr Mom, speaking of cheap coffee, when we were in Honduras, we rented a car and drove around the country for three days, and went inland to Copan to see the ruins. WOW, NOW THATS COFFEE,,, had the shakes for hours after the first cup////lol

xray you know I am all about this idea!

Lets do it....

DrDad

Regarding the Honduras mission trips . . . My good friend is the one who headed up that project. If you would like some more info, I would be happy to put you in touch with him.

Congrats to all accepted and good luck to those still waiting!

UnderGrad,
Hey, I would appreciate that a lot. I also have a friend that is an RN that works here in the ER that use to live in Honduras as a missionary, he knows his way around, and still has connections there. He would be a great addition to the team...... Listen to me, I am already planning this.,,,lol,,, well, I am glad to hear that the people admitted so far are doing medicine for the right reasons..... Have not met you guys, but I do appreciate you......

it is not necessary to meet if we are brothers in Christ our lord!, yet xray, you and I have met and I did not realize that you are mission oriented from the first meeting, shame on me.

I am Ecstatic to know that you are a brother in Christ though!

Xray,

are you bringing your wife on the 6th?

just wondering, my much better half is coming!

later

DrDad

My wife will be there, she will be good looking girl next to the big ugly guy....

Dr Dad don't worry, I really don't look very sterotypical for a trying to be a devoted christian. I think we all try, its a matter of being saved by faith through grace......;)

Our group sounds awesome.... I can't wait to meet everyone..

xray,

good that your wife is coming, my wife and I are both anxious to meet you two...

Later

DrDad

DrDad,
Were you the one who was from ORU that interviewed with me on the 18th?

xray,

I graduated from OSU, Green suit...Blue shirt, yellow tie...

I felt Dapper...

anyway, you, I believe, sat next to me...

I was in first group to interview...

drdad

Hello, Hello is this thing on????

456, Idiopath,Bu,,,,, where did you go??

I got you DrDad, can't wait too see everyone this coming friday...... only a week away...

here is a a role call, is everyone still with use?

there should be some newbies soon.... oh and I am here

hey guys,

anyone know when the white coat ceremony is going to be?

I'm still here. See you all on Friday.

Sorry it took me so long to respond. My friend Jonathan is the president of our chapter of CMA (Christian Medical Society) and is the one who headed up the Honduras trip. I know he has been on a lot of different mission trips over the years. He said to feel free to email him at: [email protected]

If for some reason that email doesn't work, let me know. (I seldom use my school address for anything, so I forget the format!)

Hey Everyone,
Congrats to the new acceptances! Let me know if you have any questions, you can Email me at [email protected]

O yea, I read that someone was from Enid, who was it?
Luke

Undergrad,

Thanks for the contact info, I just got done talking to my church this Sunday, and they are very interested.....

Thumbs up, just have to get everything planned and ready and report back to them with the idea.... SWEET

Hey Xray,

How did you ask your church? I would have a hard time doing that because it seems like every year someone is going somewhere (ie people are always asking for money for mission trips).

I just asked the assistant pastor, and he seemed very enthusiastic..... Come to find out that his wife works for a company that organizes medical missions. Of course by my stupid mistake, I can not remember the name of the company, but he said that it was across from the praying hands at ORU. I know what you mean, I was not sure how he would respond to it, but it went better than I thought. I asked for medical supplies, and he said that they may be able to help with the cost of the trip also.... wow, that was cool,,,,,,,

We will see........ Have I told you that I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

I can't wait either. I wish I would have had time before now to do it.

After some thinking, I think instead of asking in front of the church, I'm going to set up a website with my story and call to missions. It will be a low pressure sell. I know there are people that feel led to support missions like this. I just wouldn't want anyone to regret helping.