*Ortho 2006 interviews*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
West Virginia called today and the interview date is 10/30.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone heard from or know of people that heard from Boston University yet? What's up with schools in Boston (i.e., Tufts! hahaa)? :p Do those schools usually notify students this late in the game? Maybe they've already called their people...and I just haven't heard!

Did anyone go to Tenn this weekend? I heard that their interviews were this weekend.... How was it? I didnt get an invite... but I was really late sending in my application (at least that is my excuse:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Harvard emailed today. 30th and 31st, both days 9-5

Anybody went at Montefiore interview last monday? How was it? Is there 6 or 8 places this year?

i interviewed at tn. it was ok. they did not really try to sell the school. they just interviewed you. they said that about 25% of their cases are tweed. does anyone think it is important to know tweed? they do no invasalign and very little ceramic brackets.

i interviewed at tn. it was ok. they did not really try to sell the school. they just interviewed you. they said that about 25% of their cases are tweed. does anyone think it is important to know tweed? they do no invasalign and very little ceramic brackets.

It is of almost zero importance to know Tweed or how to treat it. It IS important to at least do some invisalign while in residency because you will be expected to do it when you get done in most instances. Same goes for ceramic brackets. Tweed is archaic and not in the least bit useful other than helping you learn to bend some wires. That being said, Tenn is the best program in the country if that is where you get in.

That being said, Tenn is the best program in the country if that is where you get in.

spoken like a champion. i agree. :thumbup:

anyways, so have some of you guys noticed that there are some initial rounds of interviews...and then all of a sudden, a school decides to call you like 2-3 weeks after they had already contacted students in their first round?

not sure how true this is, but it seems like they call you once someone else cancelled and a new interview spot opens up...which basically means, you weren't as high on the list as the various other interviewees at that school

does anyone have any insight about this? particularly those who have applied before or are currently orthodontic residents...?

spoken like a champion. i agree. :thumbup:

anyways, so have some of you guys noticed that there are some initial rounds of interviews...and then all of a sudden, a school decides to call you like 2-3 weeks after they had already contacted students in their first round?

not sure how true this is, but it seems like they call you once someone else cancelled and a new interview spot opens up...which basically means, you weren't as high on the list as the various other interviewees at that school

does anyone have any insight about this? particularly those who have applied before or are currently orthodontic residents...?

There is a chance that they're slow in deciding whom they want to interview. But most likely, someone cancelled and you got the call. I got a few calls like that. I knew others received calls from that school weeks before.

But, I still tried to go anyway. Your chances are slim whether you get a call w/ the main group or a few weeks later. Some schools already have a few spots "saved" for their own students at that school. So, you're really a long shot and may not know it. You know what I'm talking about. It happens at each school. I knew I probably didn't have much of a realistic chance at some schools, but tried to impress all the same.

Going to all the interviews you can is the only thing to increase your probability. Good luck.

that is very disconcerting to know...but nevertheless, I think its an important consideration because there might be a school that an applicant received an interview at very early and another school that they received the interview very late (relatively speaking); if there is a conflicting date with those two programs, I think the applicant should very strongly consider the first one since they had enough interest to send an interview invitation early. I know this is probably reading into it alot and in the end, one should obviously go to as many interviews as they possibly can. But for those who have conflicting dates, i'd strongly consider the early interview first.

I was wondering if anybody has any updates on tuition changes with unlv since oec is gone from their program. also, does anybody know if they are cutting down their class size at all? I heard they are going to 8 instead of 16, but was not sure.

Also, is west virginia big on taking in-house people? I know they are very limited at 3 students per class, so taking 1-2 in-house significantly cuts down chances for non-wvu dental students. Any help is appreciated. Thanks...

vandy called,
Nov 3. same as vcu
nov. 6 same as san antonio
any thoughts?? I think all three cities would be a fun new experience, but heard vandy is having trouble keeping facutly
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
vandy called,
Nov 3. same as vcu
nov. 6 same as san antonio
any thoughts?? I think all three cities would be a fun new experience, but heard vandy is having trouble keeping facutly
thanks

Vandy is not at a dental school, but I don't know much about it other than what Griffin has said in the past. San Antonio is a young program that has had some growing pains, such as part time program director, chairman who is not an orthodontist, etc. It now has a full time program director.

I would say vandy may be the better program, particularly if it is closer to you and you want to stay in a certain region. Hands down VCU is the best of these three programs and you should interview there before either of the other two.

Does anyone know the dates for the Rochester and Nova interviews? Have others received interviews from these schools?

UIowa-- Sept 21-22nd or Oct 13-14th. Thurs aft. social, Fri. interview/tour.
Montefiore-- Oct. 9th or 16th with socials the nights before both
UTenn-- Oct. 9th
Nebraska-- Oct 12-13th or 15-16th
UAB-- Oct. 18,19,20th
UMich-- Oct 18th or 23rd with socials the night before
UMinn-- Oct 25th-26th
St. Barnabas-- Oct. 25 or Nov. 1
OUHSC-- Nov. 2nd-3rd, Nov 10th
UPenn-- Every Mon/ Wed 6 students every session
UIC-- Oct 10,12,19,26,31
Nova --Oct 9th
St. Louis-- Oct. 23-26
Loma Linda - Oct 30 & 31
LSU-- Nov 3rd or 6th
VCU-- Nov. 2-3
UMDNJ-- Oct. 20, 23
Einstein-- Nov 1st
UCSF-- Oct 25th
UMKC-- Oct 23rd,
Ohio St--Nov 13th or 14th
Maryland--Oct 18th
Houston--Oct 25th-26th or 26th-27th
Louisville--Oct 30th-31st
Washington--Oct 23rd
Oregon-- Nov 2nd or 8th
Pitt-- Oct 30th
Rochester--??
Colorado--oct 20th
UNLV--??
San Antonio--Nov 13th or Nov 6th
Marquette--Nov 2nd, 3rd
CNMC-- Oct 28th
Baylor-- Nov 1, 2nd
West Virginia -- Oct 30th
Harvard -- Oct 30th and 31st

Temple by phone 10/27 or 10/30 with socials the night before.
SUNY-Buffalo by phone 10/30 or 10/31

Does anyone know the dates for the Rochester and Nova interviews? Have others received interviews from these schools?

I'm pretty sure Nova's interviews ended today.

Oh well thats just great, there goes placing braces by day, and spring break by night:scared:

Rochester's interviews concluded today or will by the end of the week.

Mayo's Interviews will be next week. All canidates have been called. One interviewee per day starting the 16th of Oct.
Good luck to all

MayoOrtho, Any idea how many Mayo is interviewing?? I didnt even know they had a program till i read it on here!!

Has anyone heard anything from the following schools yet? Someone must have by now.

Detroit Mercy
Tufts
Howard
NYU
Case Western
Connecticut
Boston University
UCLA

UCONN called yesterday, Nov 8 or 13 with socials the evening prior

Howard still hasn't selected for interviews. Not sure about the others.

UCLA is interviewing Nov. 1, I think...my classmate got an interview.

Has anyone heard about interviews at UNC or Indiana?

MayoOrtho, Any idea how many Mayo is interviewing?? I didnt even know they had a program till i read it on here!!
Mayo typically interviews 8-10 per year. About 140 applicants for the one spot.

Jacksonville Oct 23d by mail. Anyone know anything about this program?

How do you think graduates of UNLV, Colorado and Jacksonville are respected in the orthodontic community? Are these schools high on your list? :confused:

I have had the same question. I did not apply to any of those programs in order to avoid being linked to any sort of negative stigma that might be out there.

I have had the same question. I did not apply to any of those programs in order to avoid being linked to any sort of negative stigma that might be out there.

Same here. But it also makes me think...does it really matter? In the end, you'll be an orthodontist. Does anyone really care where you graduated from as long as it was an accredited program?

Same here. But it also makes me think...does it really matter? In the end, you'll be an orthodontist. Does anyone really care where you graduated from as long as it was an accredited program?

From my limited experience, a lot of general practitioners know squat about OEC or even care. Those who might have heard of it will care even less about it since it is gone. In many communities, they will be your main referral sources so they are looking to see if you are taking good care of their patients, not the pedigree of where you went to school.

I think a good practitioner can graduate from any program, it all depends on how motivated the student is to learn during the program and to keep up with learning once they are out.

The academic ortho world, however, seems to care a lot of OEC & it's issues. I guess it all depends on what you want in the end. If you are aiming for a high-profile academic career, then maybe it could impede your career if you trained at a former-OEC program just because of the stigma it had at one point. I doubt the private clinical world cares too much though.

How do you think graduates of UNLV, Colorado and Jacksonville are respected in the orthodontic community? Are these schools high on your list? :confused:

I'll keep it short. People w/ options will never go to an OEC-related school. Though OEC is bankrupt, its shadow will be cast on those programs for some time.

I just read the "OEC problems" thread and found this most recent story:

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/101306/bus_5568711.shtml

Such is the legacy of OEC.

sure there's a stigma, my greater concern is all the unknown's regarding dwindling faculty, resources, etc. stick with established programs (any program aside from jax, col, unlv)

sure there's a stigma, my greater concern is all the unknown's regarding dwindling faculty, resources, etc. stick with established programs (any program aside from jax, col, unlv)

Agreed. The universities are in charge of the money, and when you combine the cheap prices for treatment with the exorbitant facilities and faculty salaries something has to give. I'm still not sure that Jacksonville, Las Vegas and Denver have enough patients to fully support 16 residents a year at a higher price level. I expect the number of residents at these programs to drop to the 5-8 level in the future.

If you are considering going there, look at the article above. The Universities are not above sticking it to the resident (or at least being second party to it). They certainly are not to be trusted.

has anyone else that interviewed at nova received a phone call from Dr. S about ranking them high, he asked what I thought about that, didn't know what to say,

while we're at it...anyone heard back from Lexington, Kentucky?

Very true about the question of resources. I'll go on to speak more about the stigma that will follow you after school's over. I meant to get to that yesterday, but will throw out my two cents below:

Though all programs graduate orthodontists (including former OEC schools that are now OEC-recovering schools), the OEC school ? does matter if you plan on interacting much w/ other ortho colleagues down the line. Eventually, when you finish you'll belong to your local and state orthodontic societies. You'll get to know each other. To some in your society, where you went to school will be an issue. You won't need to go into academics for it to be a concern for some.

A few years ago when applying to programs, I asked a friend of mine (almost done w/ residency at that point) about other effects an OEC education might have. He suggested that it may be difficult to find membership in peer study clubs and other social fraternities as an orthodontist. I think he's right. Over time, you may win others' trust, but it'll be harder (all else being equal) than for the "normal" grad who finished at Penn or USC, for example.

So, "going OEC" will hurt you more than you think over the long run. Especially, if you went to an OEC school when it was OEC-operated (whether "scholarship" or not). Orthodontists are people and don't like what OEC was trying to do. To associate w/ them is not positive. Choose wisely. You've got your entire life to live w/ the consequences.

Very true about the question of resources. I'll go on to speak more about the stigma that will follow you after school's over. I meant to get to that yesterday, but will throw out my two cents below:

Though all programs graduate orthodontists (including former OEC schools that are now OEC-recovering schools), the OEC school ? does matter if you plan on interacting much w/ other ortho colleagues down the line. Eventually, when you finish you'll belong to your local and state orthodontic societies. You'll get to know each other. To some in your society, where you went to school will be an issue. You won't need to go into academics for it to be a concern for some.

A few years ago when applying to programs, I asked a friend of mine (almost done w/ residency at that point) about other effects an OEC education might have. He suggested that it may be difficult to find membership in peer study clubs and other social fraternities as an orthodontist. I think he's right. Over time, you may win others' trust, but it'll be harder (all else being equal) than for the "normal" grad who finished at Penn or USC, for example.

So, "going OEC" will hurt you more than you think over the long run. Especially, if you went to an OEC school when it was OEC-operated (whether "scholarship" or not). Orthodontists are people and don't like what OEC was trying to do. To associate w/ them is not positive. Choose wisely. You've got your entire life to live w/ the consequences.

After giving it some thought, I realized that going to an oec school DOES have consequences. Part of me was trying to convince myself to apply to an OEC school to drastically increase my chances of getting into a program. But I realized that if I went to an non-oec school, I would silently question my colleagues that graduated from an oec school. Perhaps that is unfair, but it's natural. I may or may not get into a program this year...and if I don't, I feel that I'm way better informed and prepared to apply again next year...and I'll be glad that I didn't take the back door into ortho, but rather stuck it out for something I really wanted. (And if I DO get into a program this year...well then, I'll be partying like it's 1999! haha!)

Dang, why all the judgemental and elitist attitudes? Sure, OEC had a rep of maybe letting in some candidates through the "back door" for 3 or 4 cycles of applications. But they're gone and supposedly from this cycle on, the schools are picking the applicants with zero OEC influence. Someone please explain how this is different from the residents who will graduate from the new non-OEC programs that started up during approximately the same time frame - Maimonides, Arizona, South Carolina.

Are you seriously going to judge your neighbor orthodontist based on where he trained rather than his knowledge and quality of his work? All residents can read the same textbooks and take the same Board examl, how are you going to judge that they are "inferior" orthodontists based on their residency? We all know someone who probably would be a great orthodontist but will never have a chance because of how competitive it is to get in. And admit it, you probably even know someone who got into a legit program with some serious backdoor connection.

For the applicants out there this cycle who are interviewing at a former OEC: be very careful letting the other applicants & residents you interact with at non-OEC programs that you are interviewing at a former OEC. I think the responses in this thread show what you are likely to encounter and obviously you don't need any negative judgement on you while trying your best to interview and match.

Can anyone direct me toward any information regarding U. Minn.'s Program...ie. their research, their cirriculum, their clinical experience?
I can't seem to find very much information on their school website. If you have any information or can let me know where i can find out more information, that would be very much appreciated. Thanks

After giving it some thought, I realized that going to an oec school DOES have consequences. Part of me was trying to convince myself to apply to an OEC school to drastically increase my chances of getting into a program. But I realized that if I went to an non-oec school, I would silently question my colleagues that graduated from an oec school. Perhaps that is unfair, but it's natural. I may or may not get into a program this year...and if I don't, I feel that I'm way better informed and prepared to apply again next year...and I'll be glad that I didn't take the back door into ortho, but rather stuck it out for something I really wanted. (And if I DO get into a program this year...well then, I'll be partying like it's 1999! haha!)

That is the biggest load of crap that I have ever heard. First, OEC has no affiliation with those schools anymore. So whoever gets in there is not backdooring anything. Second, backdooring into ortho programs has been around long before OEC. There was research done a few years ago to see how many Orthodontist were legacies, the number was near 60%. It's estimated that only 1 in three positions in ortho are actually available, meaning that the slot hasn't been promised to someone else. Third, the fact that you would decrease your chances of getting accepted into a program, and posibly postpone your career by a year or more because of someone else's perception make me question your intelligence. That just makes no sense at all! Lastly, people said the same thing about Nova ortho a few years ago when they were a new program. Jim Vaden still thinks that Nova isn't a good program because it's "new".