*Ortho 2006 interviews*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
USC is 11/2

Members don't see this ad.

i heard a friend of a friend got an interview at usc if that helps!

i know it's been asked, but someone must've heard from boston and case western...anyone out there?! thanks and good luck to all!

BU is not participate in Matching this year and last year also. Last year, the interview held on first week of Dec, after the matching results.

Members don't see this ad :)
Case interviews are Wed and Thurs, Nov 8th and 9th. There is one social function on the night of the 8th (Wed.) so all should plan accordingly!

anybody here have any knowledge on univ florida program?
thanks

UF has a 3 years masters program; the program says it is 35 months, but there is about 6 weeks vacation time designated each year.

The atmosphere of the program is pretty layed back. 1st years have one chair, 2nd years two chairs, and 3rd years 3 chairs. The 1st & 2nd years are in clinic together. When the 3rd years are in clinic they have 1-2 assistants assigned to them to delegate duties. 3rd year clinic is under a private practice model where the 3rd year residents do not need to get an attendings check. By the 3rd year you should have ~ 85 - 100 patients assigned to you. Many bracket systems are available, including self-ligating systems. Invisalign is utilized, yet very minimally( ie. 3-5 patients per resident). There are 3 full-time faculty and 4 part-time.

By the way, interviews are Nov. 6 & 7th.

BU is not participate in Matching this year and last year also. Last year, the interview held on first week of Dec, after the matching results.

Thanks!

Does anyone have info about Boston's program?

NYU called today....Interviews on the 10th and 11th of November

U. of Detroit Mercy - Nov. 10 :thumbup:

How did y'all feel about the U of M interview?

Any takes on comparing USC's program with UT Houston? Is USC worth the cost? Thanks in advance for your thoughts! :D <-- LOOK! Straight teeth!

Members don't see this ad :)
Maimonides today, snail mail, interview Nov. 17th

Any one knows the date of interview at Detoit Mercy?

Any takes on comparing USC's program with UT Houston? Is USC worth the cost? Thanks in advance for your thoughts! :D <-- LOOK! Straight teeth!
Houston is a two year program with a great program director, and is a very strong clinical program. The clinic is run down however, and the faculty coverage (number of instructors) is just okay. USC is a three year program with a beautiful clinic, maybe the nicest in the country, strong clinical school with lots of faculty, lots of patients and good variety of technique. Price is an issue though. If you end up at either school, feel very fortunate they are both good schools. On a side note, at USC you have your own chair, you have an assistant, minimal lab work, plus they teach extensive practice management courses, one of the few schools to do so.

Just an observation... it seems like several of these schools host their interviews on the same days. Is it common for an applicant to have to turn down an interview because of another interview?

UIowa-- Sept 21-22nd or Oct 13-14th. Thurs aft. social, Fri. interview/tour.
Montefiore-- Oct. 9th or 16th with socials the nights before both
UTenn-- Oct. 9th
Nebraska-- Oct 12-13th or 15-16th
UAB-- Oct. 18,19,20th
UMich-- Oct 18th or 23rd with socials the night before
UMinn-- Oct 25th-26th
St. Barnabas-- Oct. 25 or Nov. 1
OUHSC-- Nov. 2nd-3rd, Nov 10th
UPenn-- Every Mon/ Wed 6 students every session
UIC-- Oct 10,12,19,26,31
Nova --Oct 9th
St. Louis-- Oct. 23-26
Loma Linda - Oct 30 & 31
LSU-- Nov 3rd or 6th
VCU-- Nov. 2-3
UMDNJ-- Oct. 20, 23
Einstein-- Nov 1st
UCSF-- Oct 25th
UMKC-- Oct 23rd,
Ohio St--Nov 13th or 14th
Maryland--Oct 18th
Houston--Oct 25th-26th or 26th-27th
Louisville--Oct 30th-31st
Washington--Oct 23rd
Oregon-- Nov 2nd or 8th
Pitt-- Oct 30th
Rochester--??
Colorado--oct 20th
UNLV--October 23 / 30
San Antonio--Nov 13th or Nov 6th
Marquette--Nov 2nd, 3rd
CNMC-- Oct 28th
Baylor-- Nov 1, 2nd
West Virginia -- Oct 30th
Harvard -- Oct 30th and 31st
Howard -- Oct 31 / Nov 1st
Indiana -- Nov 9th and 10th
UNC -- Oct 30th and 31st
Jax -- Oct 23rd

I haven't run into this problem myself since I only have a few but from reading other posts, it seems like the potential is there for the unthinkable....having to turn down an interview!

Oh wow. Are the prospective interview dates known before you choose which schools to apply to?
And do some schools have more than one interview date?

I haven't run into this problem myself since I only have a few but from reading other posts, it seems like the potential is there for the unthinkable....having to turn down an interview!

Date conflicts do happen and it is often not an easy decision. All else being equal, I gave the program that let me know earlier, first priority. I have heard of some people getting 4-5 interviews but on only 2 different dates. That would be a bummer.

Does anyone know if Montefiore's program is accredited? I can't find it on their website. Thanks!

Does anybody know if Colorado has started accepting yet?

Do you guys think there is a big difference between a two year program vs a 3 year program? Do you think that extra year really helps if both programs state that they have about the same amount of patients?

Do you guys think there is a big difference between a two year program vs a 3 year program? Do you think that extra year really helps if both programs state that they have about the same amount of patients?

IMO 2 vs. 3 years does matter. There are plenty of other threads that have touched on this in the past.

Did any one get an email from UMDNJ after their interview there??

IMO 2 vs. 3 years does matter. There are plenty of other threads that have touched on this in the past.

It depends on how the time in school is allocated. Ultimately, how much time is dedicated to clinic/didactics/research, etc.? Also, how much salary are you forfeiting by adding an additional year of school on? There are a LOT of factors, but you can only honestly compare by looking at specifics of the program...not just if it's a two year program or a three year program.

It depends on how the time in school is allocated. Ultimately, how much time is dedicated to clinic/didactics/research, etc.? Also, how much salary are you forfeiting by adding an additional year of school on? There are a LOT of factors, but you can only honestly compare by looking at specifics of the program...not just if it's a two year program or a three year program.

Thank you.

It will really matter a lot if you can get boarded with cases from residency. This would basically be impossible in 2 year residencies.

It will really matter a lot if you can get boarded with cases from residency. This would basically be impossible in 2 year residencies.

There are a few 2 year or 26 month programs that do get most of their residents ABO certified. The residents in those programs really have to find the right patients in the first few months though.

Any one knows about UCLA and columbia ortho programs?

Any one knows about UCLA and columbia ortho programs?

I just looked at the match website, and it looks like UCLA dropped out of the match this year. Anyone have info on that? I'm almost certain they were part of match in previous years, especially since there was supposedly a "post-match" spot open in 2003.

There are a few 2 year or 26 month programs that do get most of their residents ABO certified. The residents in those programs really have to find the right patients in the first few months though.

Which residencies are those (that get their residents ABO certified in 24 or 26 months)?

I just looked at the match website, and it looks like UCLA dropped out of the match this year. Anyone have info on that? I'm almost certain they were part of match in previous years, especially since there was supposedly a "post-match" spot open in 2003.

UCLA dropped out of MATCH this year. They interviewed on 11/1 and made calls to those they accepted on 11/2. Very quick turnaround. Previously, they were a part of MATCH.

Which residencies are those (that get their residents ABO certified in 24 or 26 months)?

Probably none of them, since they only started accepting patients from residencies in the last couple of years. Good luck if you want to get boarded right out of a 24 month residency.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, because some of these schools ABO is optional, but 2 year programs like Iowa, Minnesota, Marquette, Baylor, UT Houston, UMKC will allow you to get your cases completed for ABO certification.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, because some of these schools ABO is optional, but 2 year programs like Iowa, Minnesota, Marquette, Baylor, UT Houston, UMKC will allow you to get your cases completed for ABO certification.

What do you mean ABO is optional at some schools? Isn't it optional everywhere? Nobody can require you to be board certified before you leave residency, right?

I'd guess every school wants you to get board cases. But can you really complete tx on these cases within the 2-year period? I highly doubt it.

I'd be impressed if a 2-year program consistently has or will in the future be able to prepare its residents to complete the board requirements. As much as I regret it, board prep and research are driving many programs to 2.5 and 3 years.

The problem with completing your board cases in two years really surfaces with the more difficult cases. When the discrepancy index gets up high, it is VERY difficult to finish the case in two years (to board standards) in a university setting. If getting boarded out of residency is important to you then you need to go to a longer program if you want to guarantee that you will get your cases done. That being said, boards are completely optional. Some residencies may require you to take the written portion, and even pass it, but I don't think they could pull off requiring you to pass the patient portion.

Is anyone familiar w/ programs at USC, Columbia, and Montefiore? How would you compare them to one another? Obviously cost is a factor both at USC and Columbia, but what of the nitty gritty of the programs themselves?

anybody else dreading ranking their schools. My top choices are Nova, MUSC, UF, San Antonio, and VCU. but I am looking at location alot since I will be there for 2 or 3 years

anybody else dreading ranking their schools. My top choices are Nova, MUSC, UF, San Antonio, and VCU. but I am looking at location alot since I will be there for 2 or 3 years

I read somewhere that the majority of applicants rank programs with location being their #1 factor, so you aren't alone in that respect.

at last I got the nterview invitation, I seem to be the only one called as of now,

If you guys dont mind I might as well share my stats

GPA 3.99
Class Rank 2nd
ortho and oral surgery research
got another 8 interviews

share the bounty and pour in the thoughts

bye now

Agree 100%...the considerations you mentioned are those things discussed in other posts. I also agree with Jedi's comments about ABO boarding.

How did you guys ranked Montefiore? I'm asking this cause I'm trying to evaluate my chances...

any comments on vcu vs. chicago? totally different programs but wondering how happy the chicago residents are if any of them are on here

any comments on vcu vs. chicago? totally different programs but wondering how happy the chicago residents are if any of them are on here

Chicago you won't have your own assistant and you probably will have to fight for a chair sometimes as a first year.