*Ortho 2006 interviews*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anybody heard from georgia, baylor, or kansas city??
did anybody on here apply there?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My message for UMich didn't include the info about the socials. Any idea what time these are at?

runfast520, I also applied to georgia and baylor. no word yet.

as an aside, how many programs did most of you apply to?

St. Barnabas emailed today. Oct. 25 or Nov. 1

I applied to 40

Members don't see this ad :)
Upenn must be rolling admissions as some people found out they got interviews weeks ago and I got an email today. I am guessing I am not too high on their list. As stated earlier they interview sept 27th, oct 11,16,and 18th. I applied to 17 programs.

Approximately how many people does each school interview? 40-50?

Approximately how many people does each school interview? 40-50?

It depends on the school. The # usually correlates w/ the # of residents in the program. If my memory is holding up, the range was from 16 to 75 people at the schools where I interviewed. The school w/ 16 interviewees originally invited 20 of us, but several students had conflicts. That made it much better for those who were able to make the trip. The school interviewing 75 (I think it was SLU) has around 15 residents in each class, so they needed to create a long rank list. In other words, they need to see a lot of bodies.

I'd bet most programs will try to interview 20 or so. The schools are trying to cover their behinds. They want to be sure they get the best applicants they can, and avoid having spots open after the Match. No program wants to feel unwanted. I think UNC had 2 spots open last year. That must have embarrassed them. So, each school attempts to interview plenty of applicants.

Hope that helps.

The List

UIowa-- Sept 21-22nd or Oct 13-14th. Thurs aft. social, Fri. interview/tour.
Montefiore-- Oct. 9th or 16th with socials the nights before both
UTenn-- Oct. 9th
Nebraska-- Oct 12-13th or 15-16th
UAB-- Oct. 18,19,20th
UMich-- Oct 18th or 23rd with socials the night before
UMinn-- Oct 25th-26th
St. Barnabas-- Oct. 25 or Nov. 1
OUHSC-- Nov. 2nd-3rd, Nov 10th
UPenn-- Every Mon/ Wed 6 students every session

The List

UTenn-- Oct. 9th
UAB-- Oct. 18,19,20th
UMinn-- Oct 25th-26th

I've heard that Tennessee, Michigan and Oklahoma all emphasize Tweed mechanics. Is this true? If so, ortho applicants beware!

I've heard that Tennessee, Michigan and Oklahoma all emphasize Tweed mechanics. Is this true? If so, ortho applicants beware!

Honestly, I bet virtually all applicants would prefer a straight-wire appliance (SWA) program over a Tweed program (all else being equal, of course). The governing philosophy or appliance used does make a difference. Tweed is old, old school. Nobody (in a non-academic setting) does that any longer. Tweed died a long time ago, people.

Having said the above, I knew that if I matched at a "Tweed" school I'd do my best to have a positive attitude and learn what I could.

The issue about tweed programs brought up an interesting question for me:

Which programs are typically thought of as the most prominent and leaders in ortho education?

Which programs are typically thought of as the most prominent and leaders in ortho education?

Are you seeking a program heavy in research or a more clinical education? There are drastic differences between them. Some of the big names in orthodontics are located at research institutions for obvious reasons (they're well known for their research). Other programs will have you in the clinic more treating patients.

Members don't see this ad :)

I had all these same ?s years ago. After I started interviewing and realized just how political and competitive the entire process was, I just wanted to get in anywhere. In other words, I cared less about prominence and reputation. I'm not saying you shouldn't look into your question or lower your standards. You just may come to the same realization I did in a while when you interview. Fortunately, I'm in and content w/ my surroundings.

But to answer your question, I'll give you a list off the top of my head. Others should contribute because the schools I come up w/ are certainly not all-inclusive.

VCU--nice stipend, assistants
UNC--Proffit (he certainly qualifies as a prominent leader)
Baylor--don't know many specifics, but is spoken of highly
CWRU--lots of faculty
Iowa--many prominent names
Michigan--McNamara is a big name

A few schools that appear to have more of a country club environment are:

VCU
Louisville
Buffalo
Nebraska

Others programs may be equally relaxed. These just stand out to me from what I've heard from other residents.

I had all these same ?s years ago. After I started interviewing and realized just how political and competitive the entire process was, I just wanted to get in anywhere. In other words, I cared less about prominence and reputation. I'm not saying you shouldn't look into your question or lower your standards. You just may come to the same realization I did in a while when you interview. Fortunately, I'm in and content w/ my surroundings.

Exactly. This is why it doesn't matter if you attend a "Tweed" program, you can graduate and go out and work in a 100% Damon office or be a holistic orthodontist.

Other "good" programs I've heard of:
Washington - uber competitive, but I can't remember why they are supposedly so good. Is this the program where every resident has his/her own assistant?
UConn - lots of full time faculty, home of Dr. Burstone and all his mechanics

And I will add that Minnesota also has lots of full time faculty.

Really, each school has many pros & cons and only you can decide which of those matter most to you. When I made my list last year, I ranked it by time & money - shorter & cheaper sounded better to me. I think there was an article that said most applicants ranks their lists by location above all other factors.

Exactly. This is why it doesn't matter if you attend a "Tweed" program, you can graduate and go out and work in a 100% Damon office or be a holistic orthodontist.

Other "good" programs I've heard of:
Washington - uber competitive, but I can't remember why they are supposedly so good. Is this the program where every resident has his/her own assistant?
UConn - lots of full time faculty, home of Dr. Burstone and all his mechanics

And I will add that Minnesota also has lots of full time faculty.

Really, each school has many pros & cons and only you can decide which of those matter most to you. When I made my list last year, I ranked it by time & money - shorter & cheaper sounded better to me. I think there was an article that said most applicants ranks their lists by location above all other factors.

I am interested in this "holistic orthodontics" you speak of. Which residency is the frontrunner of this technique:rolleyes: .

FYI San Antonio is very progressive. No tweed. Lots of Speed/Damon/smartclip/Inovation, etc. Plus MBT. Sucks to have to go for a residency that teaches ancient technique just so you can call yourself an orthodontist.

The List

UTenn-- Oct. 9th
UAB-- Oct. 18,19,20th
UMinn-- Oct 25th-26th
UIC-- Oct 10,12,19,26,31

nova called and offered oct. 9th, sounded like they may have multiple dates, but I just accepted that one

When did UIC get added to the list? How were you contacted? Thanks!

I am interested in this "holistic orthodontics" you speak of. Which residency is the frontrunner of this technique:rolleyes: .

FYI San Antonio is very progressive. No tweed. Lots of Speed/Damon/smartclip/Inovation, etc. Plus MBT. Sucks to have to go for a residency that teaches ancient technique just so you can call yourself an orthodontist.

I'm not making it up. I came across some NYC website the other day discussing all the doctors in an office, and there is a lady on staff who is their "holistic orthodontist." It was news to me.

I'm not making it up. I came across some NYC website the other day discussing all the doctors in an office, and there is a lady on staff who is their "holistic orthodontist." It was news to me.

ya i've seen the website....a marketing ploy.
i think it just read funny the way you wrote it (it looked like you are accepting holistic ortho as an actual well known theory / concept)...i think you meant it in a sarcastic way...

Oct 10th is another interview day for UTenn.

ya i've seen the website....a marketing ploy.
i think it just read funny the way you wrote it (it looked like you are accepting holistic ortho as an actual well known theory / concept)...i think you meant it in a sarcastic way...

Yes, it was sarcasm. If it wasn't clear there, then let's make it clear now.

VCU called today, Nov 2 and 3rd, conflicts with Oklahoma :(

I agree w/ Ramzi's suggestion. VCU has $ (a stipend), assistants, and a more real-world treatment situation than any program I know of.

As someone said above, Oklahoma is Tweed. Anyone for bending wire a lot, lot, lot? The beauty of the straight-wire technique is that the bending is minimal (usually at the end to finish cases). The road is so much easier than tangling w/ Tweed's technique. I didn't know much at all about Tweed till I started ortho. If some of you want to read a little here's a link: http://www.tweedortho.com/

I'd try to do both if you can arrange the flights. You'll be exhausted, but it's worth it in the long run.

Baylor called today. Interviews on Nov 1 and 2.
Which program is considered better: Baylor or VCU?

Baylor called today. Interviews on Nov 1 and 2.
Which program is considered better: Baylor or VCU?

Different strengths. Baylor may have assistants now and maybe a stipend. VCU is just so country club. Someone I knew was there a few years ago and loved it.

Baylor has lots of good people. Both are two years. It's a toss up. Do you like Dallas or Richmond?

I interviewed at Baylor last year and would have been happy going there. Lots of techniques taught, in clinic 8 half days/wk, nice residents... Research seemed to stress some of the residents out a bit (at least at the time of interviews), but overall a strong program. Crazy interview schedule though - 8 interviews all day.

I completely agree about Tweed. It's extremely old school, and it's a fair question to ask residents about in your interviews. Just to prevent the spread of misinformation, Oklahoma only does a couple of Tweed cases per resident (or so I was told). So it's minimal. Overall, I thought Oklahoma was a nice program as well. I wasn't as sold on OKC, but each to their own.

Yeah, Baylor's interview process was exhausting. We even interviewed w/ the lab tech. Everyone wanted a chance to chat w/ you. As I recall, the lab tech asked me what three people I would first like to meet when I died (or something to that effect).

A few cases of Tweed at Oklahoma is probably right. I don't think any school treats all or many cases w/ Tweed. That would be insane! I just know I classified the schools many different ways. Some were 2 years, some were not. Some had a stipend, some didn't. Some were Tweed, some were not. It's hard to remember if residents start 2, 5, or 10 cases. Most of us would prefer to start zero.

What do you mean by OKC? My thoughts returned to oral path and odontogenic keratocysts. You likely mean something different.

Oklahoma City (I think OKC was the airport code and reminded me of path too).

I catagorized programs as well when interviewing. 2 vs 3yr. Programs with a lot of clinic vs programs with more research. Programs that get to treat a fair number of orthagnathic cases. Programs that use a variety of bracket systems. Programs that get to treat cleft palate and other such cases. Programs that allow/support their residents to go to meetings. Knowing what I know now, I'd also add programs that use TAD's (mini-screws) and diode lasers.

Interviewing is a stressful but fun time. Try to enjoy it.

Nice avatar, by the way. I switched mine also a few minutes ago, too. I was getting tired of seeing the obese woman.

Yeah, Baylor's interview process was exhausting. We even interviewed w/ the lab tech. Everyone wanted a chance to chat w/ you. As I recall, the lab tech asked me what three people I would first like to meet when I died (or something to that effect).

A few cases of Tweed at Oklahoma is probably right. I don't think any school treats all or many cases w/ Tweed. That would be insane! I just know I classified the schools many different ways. Some were 2 years, some were not. Some had a stipend, some didn't. Some were Tweed, some were not. It's hard to remember if residents start 2, 5, or 10 cases. Most of us would prefer to start zero.

What do you mean by OKC? My thoughts returned to oral path and odontogenic keratocysts. You likely mean something different.

Is it understood that Michigan residents use Tweed mechanics 50% of the time? Any Michigan residents on here? What about Tennessee? St. Louis?

I catagorized programs as well when interviewing. 2 vs 3yr. Programs with a lot of clinic vs programs with more research. Programs that get to treat a fair number of orthagnathic cases. Programs that use a variety of bracket systems. Programs that get to treat cleft palate and other such cases. Programs that allow/support their residents to go to meetings. Knowing what I know now, I'd also add programs that use TAD's (mini-screws) and diode lasers.

Do you still have that list? Was that something you compiled after interviews or was their some other way of getting that info?

Programs don't publish that sort of info. I asked those type of questions during interviews, but didn't create a list. Your best bet is to ask the residents there.

Neither did I actively create a list comparing all those factors. I don't have a planner, and make few lists. A friend of mine did create vast excel spreadsheets comparing and contrasting even the smallest of factors relative to each program. But he always went overboard, in my opinion. I just don't behave that way.

My approach was to create a folder for each school. Everything unique to the program I wrote down on a sheet of paper. I stuck that paper into the program's folder. Pretty easy.

Some of the schools also provide a handout as you leave the program. It summarizes the programs strengths. That leaves less for the memory, which fails me sometimes.

what is the city of richmond like?

it's all relative my friend. i spent a summer there - roommate was from rural VA so he loved it. I'm from NYC area so was a little bored and didn't like the food (no variety). cost of living is (was) great 3 yrs ago. depends if you're into arts/culture, parks/recreation, sports, nightlife etc etc. best is to do a thorough check during interview time. hmmmm i guess i'm no help at all.

Got an e-mail from St. Louis tonight, Oct.23rd thru Oct. 26th social before each one, fifteen students at each interview.

New one for the list: St Louis emailed today; dates are Oct. 23-26 and socials the night before

UTenn-- Oct. 9th
UAB-- Oct. 18,19,20th
UMinn-- Oct 25th-26th
UIC-- Oct 10,12,19,26,31
Nova --
VCU --
St. Louis -- Oct. 23-26

Oops looks like jmp beat me to it:)

Hi, does anyone know what the situation is like for trying to contact programs for their open positions that are available post-match? What happens, what do you do, and what are the best recommendations of getting prepared for it?

Just in case, you know?

UCLA called. Interview on Nov 1 was the only option they gave me.

UMDNJ is interviewing on October 20 and October 23. You only need to go am or pm on one either date. They also have a social/dinner with the residents the night before each. I received an email message today.

Loma Linda called this afternoon, Oct 30th & 31st

UTenn-- Oct. 9th
UAB-- Oct. 18,19,20th
UMinn-- Oct 25th-26th
UIC-- Oct 10,12,19,26,31
Nova --
VCU --