*Ortho 2006 interviews*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post information here regarding Ortho interviews for 2006, including how your were notified, when you were notified, and interview dates.

Members don't see this ad.

Iowa

Sept 21-22nd or Oct 13-14th. Thursday afternoon social, Friday interview/tour. I was notified by email.

Thanks for starting this thread Gav.

Kato999,

Would you mind PMing me your stats? I will be applying next year and I am very interested in Iowa. Thanks. Congrats on your interview invite and best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this thread still alive? It was way at the bottom of the pile.

Montefiore called this morning.

Oct. 9th or 16th with socials the nights before both.

Thanks Gavin, good call.

has anybody heard from georgia or baylor?
thanks

I heard Penn started to grant interviews, not to me though. Haven't heard from anywhere else.

Does Arizona have a program now? I know they were working on one.

Arizona told me they didn't have a program?! I have a friend who has heard from Colorado and Rochester.

Do they call all interviewees in one day? or is it spread out as they review applications? I still havent heard from Rochester or Penn and I applied to both :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Arizona does have a program. They interviewed yesterday for four residency positions in the class starting in the fall '07. I think they kept the application relatively unannounced because they didn't want to deal with a bunch of paperwork this year. I don't want to spread any misinformation, but I do know it is going to be around a 26 month program with 4 residents and tuition is 40-50k.

Arizona does have a program. They interviewed yesterday for four residency positions in the class starting in the fall '07. I think they kept the application relatively unannounced because they didn't want to deal with a bunch of paperwork this year. I don't want to spread any misinformation, but I do know it is going to be around a 26 month program with 4 residents and tuition is 40-50k.

wow. talk about on the down low. didn't want to deal w/ paperwork???...ok, good luck dealing with running the actual program!!!! hey whoever caught word is in good position....probably a low competitive applicant pool b/c no one else knows about it. tuition is ridiculous. lastly, i'm sorry but i think the arizona dental school website is terrible by the way.

someone at Arizona actually told me that in an email (that they have no program). It makes me wonder who they let know about it and apply. And Rochester at least I don't think is done inviting. A lot of schools do have some sort of rolling invite process. Good luck

I can vouche for the "rolling invite" system as I just got a call from Montefiore today. Good luck! :)

wow. talk about on the down low. didn't want to deal w/ paperwork???...ok, good luck dealing with running the actual program!!!! hey whoever caught word is in good position....probably a low competitive applicant pool b/c no one else knows about it. tuition is ridiculous. lastly, i'm sorry but i think the arizona dental school website is terrible by the way.

The website was updated about two weeks ago. I agree though, it had sucked for the last 4 years.

...now back to the ortho interviews :)

Oklahoma called today.

Interviews are on Nov. 2nd & 3rd.

Let the groveling begin

Tennessee by email

Mon. Oct. 9th

Congrats Indeep...

I applied @ all those too...lets see if they call...

Oklahoma called today.

Interviews are on Nov. 2nd & 3rd.

Let the groveling begin

This is strange. Isn't their deadline the 1st of October? are they calling before the deadline?! :confused:

THE LIST

UIowa-- Sept 21-22nd or Oct 13-14th. Thurs afternoon social, Friday interview/tour.
Montefiore-- Oct. 9th or 16th with socials the nights before both
UTenn-- Oct. 9th
OUHSC-- Nov. 2nd & 3rd.

BTW Montefiore has selected 51 interviewees from 175 applicants.

THE LIST

UIowa-- Sept 21-22nd or Oct 13-14th. Thurs afternoon social, Friday interview/tour.
UTenn-- Oct. 9th
OUHSC-- Nov. 2nd & 3rd.

BTW Montefiore has selected 51 interviewees from 175 applicants.

Montefiore interviewing 1/3 of apps????u sure about that. i always thought that the NY programs get upwards of 3-400 apps. that's just great, so much for my excitement to be called there !!!

Yes they are interviewing 51 apps this year. That is what I was told on the phone.

Good luck for the interview.

It doesn't surprise me that Montefiore doesn't get 300-400 applications. If I remember correctly, their applications were a pain in the neck. I think it was most difficult just to get an application.

Some programs are that way. Their applicant pool suffers as a result. Yet, that benefits those who persevere. Tennessee (Memphis) was that way, too. You had to write out essays (several of them) by hand. Who knows why they don't simplify the process.

Nebraska by phone call; Oct. 12-13 or 15-16

That is crazy about Montefiore. 51 interviews for 8 spots. Yeah, so much for getting excited, huh?

Good luck to everyone.

It doesn't surprise me that Montefiore doesn't get 300-400 applications. If I remember correctly, their applications were a pain in the neck. I think it was most difficult just to get an application.

Some programs are that way. Their applicant pool suffers as a result. Yet, that benefits those who persevere. Tennessee (Memphis) was that way, too. You had to write out essays (several of them) by hand. Who knows why they don't simplify the process.

That is so true. Montefiore's app was actually only one page. Pretty short. Tennessee on the other hand SUCKED! It was like 4 pages with 2 pages of essay questions.

All of that is definitely worth it though, as long as the match works out.

Sorry, I should keep the list going. It will be easier that way.

UIowa-- Sept 21-22nd or Oct 13-14th. Thurs aft. social, Fri. interview/tour.
UTenn-- Oct. 9th
OUHSC-- Nov. 2nd & 3rd
Nebraska-- Oct 12-13 or 15-16

you might want to add Penn to that list as well. They offer several interview days. Penn student get the first 2 or 3 days and the rest is for other schools.

I'm a 3rd year ortho resident at Monte. We're actually interviewing 42. The list was shortened by our director this week. Not sure about the total amount of applications, but 400 seems kinda high. Best of luck to everyone applying, I remember what it was like to be on the other end of the application cycle....

Looking forward to meeting some of you in a few weeks.

Nebraska by phone call; Oct. 12-13 or 15-16

That is crazy about Montefiore. 51 interviews for 8 spots. Yeah, so much for getting excited, huh?

Good luck to everyone.

8 spots? They upped the number they take from 6 to 8? Well I guess that is good news for you guys going to interview there.

dude Montefiore's app is on the web. simple to get it. download it and print. now don't get me started on rochester's app.!!!

You're probably right. I did this process a few years ago. I just don't remember it being simple. Either they updated/improved the site or I'm getting Montefiore mixed up w/ another NY school.

Yet, they ask you to provide a personal statement on the 2nd page of the application. I got so weary of different schools asking for a personal statement of interests, goals, etc. w/ many asking this in a different way. The result was you couldn't just copy your PASS personal statement (PS) into the space provided. You had to tinker your PS a little (many times a lot) to make it fit the specific school's criteria on their own stupid application.

Yeah, I do remember Rochester's. For heaven's sake! Why don't these programs simply things for all of us! Then, when you don't get an interview it leaves you frustrated, looking for meaning in life.

Oklahoma also has a Nov 10th date. Minnesota's is the 25th 26th of October. They were both phone calls

The List

UTenn-- Oct. 9th
Nebraska-- Oct 12-13th or 15-16th
UAB-- Oct. 18,19,20th
UMinn-- Oct 25th-26th
OUHSC-- Nov. 2nd-3rd, Nov 10th
UPenn-- ??

How was UIowa's interview last week?? Any one??

Alabama-Birmingham has interviews on Oct. 18,19,20. Contacted by phone call.

I'm also curious about the experiences you guys are having (?s and overall climate).

Where I'm at I was treated well and got "normal" ?s. Yet, I've heard other schools ask crazy stuff--even some that are inappropriate.

So, please share your experiences. The posts will be informative for those about to interview and entertaining for many others.

Sorry about the multiple posts. I've had trouble all afternoon w/ the internet. It's has also interferred w/ my fantasy football all weekend.

I had trouble submitting each post, and didn't realize my earlier posts were "up" until I restarted the computer to find I had 3 back-to-back posts on the thread. Sorry. Anyway, I would be interested in knowing about your interviews.

Sorry about the multiple posts. I've had trouble all afternoon w/ the internet. It's has also interferred w/ my fantasy football all weekend.

I had trouble submitting each post, and didn't realize my earlier posts were "up" until I restarted the computer to find I had 3 back-to-back posts on the thread. Sorry. Anyway, I would be interested in knowing about your interviews.

i dunno you're starting to scare me.

Just wondering how long ago Iowa initially called interviewees and whether or not they offerred you an option on the two interview dates.

I am hoping there's a outside chance I could still get an interview there.

Thanks

if the program calls by phone and you're not able to pick up, will they always leave a message? Also, I would hope these programs try other methods to get in touch such as regular mail or e-mail

and so far, it seems like the students are all notified on the same day...meaning, if you see someone else post in here that they got an interview from a school and you either a) didn't get an email from that school or b) don't see the little envelope symbol on your cell phone indicating a new voicemail...then you probaaaably won't be getting an interview from that program :( so far I'm like 1 for 4:thumbdown:

Just wondering how long ago Iowa initially called interviewees and whether or not they offerred you an option on the two interview dates.

I am hoping there's a outside chance I could still get an interview there.

Thanks

I'll try to make this work w/ one shot this time.

A few years ago, I had similar hopes when I read that others had received interviews at a school when I had not. I thought the secretary most likely contacted everyone on the same day. Yet, I tried to hold out hope that I'd get a call later. Unfortunately, in all cases an invitation never came. All you can do is cross your fingers for other programs.

From earlier posts, it sounds like Montefiore and Rochester have a "rolling" system. So, if you're not called the first day you may still be eligible. Those schools are the exception, however.

Michigan called today... the dayes are Oct 18th and 23rd

Michigan called today... the dayes are Oct 18th and 23rd

Yeah Michigan called today with socials the night before.

The List

UTenn-- Oct. 9th
Nebraska-- Oct 12-13th or 15-16th
UAB-- Oct. 18,19,20th
UMich-- Oct 18th or 23rd with socials the night before
UMinn-- Oct 25th-26th
OUHSC-- Nov. 2nd-3rd, Nov 10th
UPenn-- Every Mon/ Wed 6 students every session

Good Luck:luck: