open questions to all

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After an automobile accident , a patient's chin deviates to the left on opening mouth widely.His mandible is probably fractured at which of the following points?

a. genial tubercle
b.left condyolar neck
c.right condylar neck
d.left mental foramen
e.right mental foramen

post the correct anwer and justify it with right explanation

Members don't see this ad.

upregulation of GAM 1 in endothelial cells is-?????????

the microflora of the healthy gingival sulcus is predominantly
a. spirochetes and yeasts
b. G(+) facultative rods and spirochetes
c. G(+) facultative cocci and filamentous bacteria

d. G(-) anaerobic rods and fusobacteria( asnwer) not sure

.e. G(-) anaerobic cocci and G(+) facultative cocci

. - pt wants to extract tooth, but dentist feels , its not necessary,
.......................is betwen which two principal of ethics

4- phrenic nerve is ant. to which muscle??????
thx

upregulation of GAM 1 in endothelial cells is-?????????

the microflora of the healthy gingival sulcus is predominantly
a. spirochetes and yeasts
b. G(+) facultative rods and spirochetes
c. G(+) facultative cocci and filamentous bacteria-answer

d. G(-) anaerobic rods and fusobacteria( asnwer) not sure

.e. G(-) anaerobic cocci and G(+) facultative cocci

. - pt wants to extract tooth, but dentist feels , its not necessary,
.......................is betwen which two principal of ethics

4- phrenic nerve is ant. to which muscle??????
thx

pls correct if wrong..

Members don't see this ad :)
In latreal excursion on a patient with ideal occlusion,the mesial cusp ridge of the mandibular first premolar contacts the
1. distolingual surface of maxillary canine.
2. mesiolingual slope of the buccal cusp of the maxillary first premolar.

In latreal excursion on a patient with ideal occlusion,the mesial cusp ridge of the mandibular first premolar contacts the
1. distolingual surface of maxillary canine.-ans
2. mesiolingual slope of the buccal cusp of the maxillary first premolar.

correct me if i m wrong..

I also thought of the same option,but the ans. is given as the second one according to Q-paper of 1977.

Anybody else of the same opinion that option 2 is wrong coz i too'm with option 1 ?(which is but against the ans gvn at the back)

can anyone tell me how to recognize which side of the arch in madicualr movements.i am right with working /non working but i am not able to find which side.please help.its urgent,thanks

Hey,

Can anyone answer these Qs with explanation:

Tongue consists of
a) Sympathetic myelinated
b) Parasympathetic unmyelinated

Sensation detected first at
a) Skin
b) Finger tips
c) Tongue

In the Pain Gate Theory, a controller system modulates sensory input so that there is a service and
integrative action occuring before impulses reach the first synsapse for onward transmission. The gate controller in this system
is the
1) T-cell
2) Large a-fibre
3) small c-fibre
4) central control
5) Substantia Gelatinosa

The free gingival groove is related to
1) alveolar crest
2) probe-depth measurement
3) base of the histologic sulcus
4) degree of periodontal health
5) arrangement of supraalveolar fibres

Sunlingual gland is
1) below mylohyoid line
2) Above mylohyoid line

Hair follicle arises from
1) Stratum Germinativum
2) stratum Spinosum
3) stratum corneum
4) stratum granulosum

Does hair follicle arises from epidermis or dermis?

can anyone tell me how to recognize which side of the arch in madicualr movements.i am right with working /non working but i am not able to find which side.please help.its urgent,thanks

Hi goodluck
First u hav to observe what are the mesial n distal teeth to that particular indicated tooth and then sides [B,L,M & D] see the alignment and correlate that in ur mouth.Just imagine which side of arch in ur mouth resembles with it.
hope this helps.

Hey,

Tongue consists of

Sensation detected first at
a) Skin
b) Finger tips
c) Tongue

In the Pain Gate Theory, a controller system modulates sensory input so that there is a service and
integrative action occuring before impulses reach the first synsapse for onward transmission. The gate controller in this system
is the
1) T-cell
2) Large a-fibre
3) small c-fibre
4) central control
5) Substantia Gelatinosa-ans

1) alveolar crest
2) probe-depth measurement
3) base of the histologic sulcus
4) degree of periodontal health
5) arrangement of supraalveolar fibres-ans

Sunlingual gland is
1) below mylohyoid line
2) Above mylohyoid line-ans

Hair follicle arises from
1) Stratum Germinativum
2) stratum Spinosum
3) stratum corneum
4) stratum granulosum

Does hair follicle arises from epidermis or dermis?
-dermis
correct me if wrong..

Members don't see this ad :)
closure of apices in deciduous teeth after eruption
a. 3-6months
b. 18months
c. 12months
d. 24-30months

to correct posterior cross bite the attachment must be placed on
a. labial of maxillary and labial of mandibular teetg
b. lingual maxillary & labial mandibular teeth
c. palatal of maxillary & labial of mandibular teeth

allowing a young patient to play w/ the handpiece is an example of
a. modeling
b. desensitizing
d. distracting
d. redirecting

Can anyone help me understand this answer?

105) A person is playing tennis in a dry climate in which the temp is 110 degrees F. most of this person's heat loss occurs by
a. alteration in hypothalamic setpoint
b. enhanced baroreceptor activity
c. enhanced sympathetic activity
d enhanced parasympathetic activity

the answer is C! But that would cause vasoconstriction wouldn't it? and that is the main action during THE COLD to retain heat right?

please help!

Can anyone help me understand this answer?

105) A person is playing tennis in a dry climate in which the temp is 110 degrees F. most of this person's heat loss occurs by
a. alteration in hypothalamic setpoint
b. enhanced baroreceptor activity
c. enhanced sympathetic activity
d enhanced parasympathetic activity

the answer is C! But that would cause vasoconstriction wouldn't it? and that is the main action during THE COLD to retain heat right?

please help!

In a dry climate evaporation is the key for heat loss. Sweat glands innervated by sympathetic nervous system only just like blood vessels.

Originally Posted by drdds3
Hey,

Tongue consists of

There is no such thing as sympathetic postganglionic myelinated nerves - all postganglionics are unmyelinated. preganglionics to sympathetic chain are myelinated - true. In the tongue u can find only postganganglionic sympathetic. So I would go for B.

please answer
General Anesthesia causes sleep in what part of the brain ?

Basal ganglia
reticular formation
cerebrum
cerebellum

Thats reticular formation and not cerebrum for sure... RF is active during the day time and affected by general anesthesia...(Wikipedia confirmes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadent
[QUOTEits true bec. its sensory !!!

guys pls help in this question !!!!

the ph of a solution having a 10-5 M concentration of OH ion is

a.5
b.7
c.9
d.determined if the pka is known

so can some one clear this for me and tell me HOW to answer this question please,, the answer is --------------> 9
can some one tell how the 9 came from ????????

H+ ion conc-10-5
PH-5
POH=14-5=9.

hope im clear.

Wrong explanation... Im sorry... It's vice versa. Concentration of OH- is 10-5, means pOH is 5. pH+pOH=14, means ph=14 - pOH=9

1) alveolar crest - I think the answer
2) probe-depth measurement - related to gingival sulcus
3) base of the histologic sulcus - related to junctional epithelium
4) degree of periodontal health - related to I don't know)
5) arrangement of supraalveolar fibres - related to free gingiva itself but not the groove. But this is the right answer

I don't know why the answer in the released is 5. Do you see what Im saying?

Last edited:

the working/rotating condyle is on that side in which the muscles are relaxed..

the non-working/orbiting condyle is on that side on which the muscle has contracted and resulted in the condyle to move out of the centric relation..

Can anyone answer these high yield Qs :

what type of embrassure can be seen from the facial aspect of maxillary molars?
a) facial
b) facial and incisal
c) facial
d) incisal and gingival
e) lingual

Which is the smallest cusp in the mandibular primary second molar?

Looking incisally, change in facial line angles will have effect on what embrassures?
a) Lingual
b) Gingival
c) Incisal
d) Facial

In the longitudinal section of mandibular canine, where is the pulp cavity thickest?

thanks in advance

Can anyone answer these high yield Qs :

what type of embrassure can be seen from the facial aspect of maxillary molars?
a) facial
b) facial and incisal
c) facial
d) incisal and gingival- ANS
e) lingual

Which is the smallest cusp in the mandibular primary second molar? - distal (mandibular primary 2nd molar is the exact copy of perm mand 1st molar)

Looking incisally, change in facial line angles will have effect on what embrassures?
a) Lingual
b) Gingival
c) Incisal
d) Facial - ans, correct if wrong

In the longitudinal section of mandibular canine, where is the pulp cavity thickest? - facial HOC - cervical third and lingual HOC - cervical third too. The thickest part longitudinally should be between those two HOC's I think. what are the options?

thanks in advance

Hope it is correct))

Last edited:
Hi Dolgov FL,

Thanks for answering the Qs but i have few doubts regarding the answers

For Mandibular primary second molar, all the three buccal cusps are equal in size (given in wheelers and kaplan review notes)

Regarding the thickest portion of Mand. Canine, how can it be in the Heights of contour. i think it must be something like cervical third or middle third.Can you explain it further?

thanks

Hi drdds! I just opened first aid and it says that primary mand 2nd molar resembles perm. mandibular 1st molar, has 5 cusps but it says that the distal is as large as MB and DB cusps, so Im confused now. Then the answer is distolingual cuz its the second smallest cusp in perm mand 2nd molar(after distal cusp)

About canine... I was just trying to explain the way I think this is the answer. Longitudinally tooth is the largest at the cervical third(facial and lingual HOCs are at cervical) and pulp chamber usually outline crown morphology. So I think the answer is cervical too.

Thanks a lot for correcting me. I totally missed the part that all 3 bucal cusps of mand primary 2nd molar are equally big.

Last edited:
Dolgov FL,
Thanks for the explanation. can u explain the other 2 Qs also which u answered. i didnt understand what logic u applied in selecting those options

Hi drdds! I just opened first aid and it says that primary mand 2nd molar resembles perm. mandibular 1st molar, has 5 cusps but it says that the distal is as large as MB and DB cusps, so Im confused now. Then the answer is distolingual cuz its the second smallest cusp in perm mand 2nd molar(after distal cusp)

About canine... I was just trying to explain the way I think this is the answer. Longitudinally tooth is the largest at the cervical third(facial and lingual HOCs are at cervical) and pulp chamber usually outline crown morphology. So I think the answer is cervical too.

Thanks a lot for correcting me. I totally missed the part that all 3 bucal cusps of mand primary 2nd molar are equally big.

Hi everyone,

Please answer these Qs along with explanations:

1) which of the following describes the proper axial inclination of the palatal root of maxillary 2nd molar?
a) vertical
b) Mesial and lingual
c) mesial and facial
d) distal and facial
e) distal and lingual

2) which of the following best describes the compensating occlusal curvature?
a) the line beginning at the tip of canines following the facial cusps of posterior teeth as viewed from facial aspect
b) the inclination of teeth in relation to vertical long axis of the body
c) any prominent ridge of enamelimmediately above the cervical line of the crown of tooth
d) a notably pointed or rounded eminence on or near the masticating surface of tooth
e) the spherical composite arrangement of the occlusal surfaces and incisal edges of the teeth in both dental arches

3) the most convex incisal angle on anterior teeth is found on which angle of which incisor?
a) distoincisal-- maxillary lateral
b) distoincisal-- mandibular lateral
c) distoincisal-- mandibular central
d) mesioincisal-- maxillary lateral
e) mesioincisal-- maxillary central

4) Each of the following is condition usually foundin a mutually protected occlusion,in the normal upright position,except one.which is the exception?
a) none of the posterior teeth contact on the working side when the mandible move laterally
b) ant. teeth disclude all post. teeth in protrusive movement
c) condyles are in their most superior anterior position in closure
d) ant. teeth contact more heavily than the posterior teeth
e) axial loading of occlusal forces occur in closure

5) one important collateral circulation of the hepatic portal system is via the
a) renal veins
b) mesentric veins
c) oesophageal veins
d) external iliac veins

6) Inorganic crystals in enamel rods are parallel to what?

7) what determines the direction of grooves and ridges?

Thanks

Since all the paranasal sinuses drain into submandibular space, i think the answer is the submandibular space
Correct me if i am wrong

Infection from the posterior wall of maxilary sinus goes to which space?

Please let me know the ans if anyone knows it.

Hi everyone,

Please answer these Qs along with explanations:

1) which of the following describes the proper axial inclination of the palatal root of maxillary 2nd molar?
a) vertical
b) Mesial and lingual
c) mesial and facial
d) distal and facial
e) distal and lingual - ans, tooth is inclined mesially and bucaly, means roots are inclined distally and lingually(especially lingual). Correct if anything...

2) which of the following best describes the compensating occlusal curvature?
a) the line beginning at the tip of canines following the facial cusps of posterior teeth as viewed from facial aspect - ans, cuz: compensating curve,
the curvature of alignment of the occlusal surfaces of the teeth, developed to compensate for the paths of the condyles as the mandible moves from centric to eccentric positions. It is used to maintain posterior tooth contacts on the molar teeth and to provide balancing contacts on dentures associated with a protruding mandible. The compensating curve corresponds to the Spee's curve in natural teeth.
Mosby's Medical Dictionary, 8th edition. © 2009, Elsevier.

b) the inclination of teeth in relation to vertical long axis of the body
c) any prominent ridge of enamelimmediately above the cervical line of the crown of tooth
d) a notably pointed or rounded eminence on or near the masticating surface of tooth
e) the spherical composite arrangement of the occlusal surfaces and incisal edges of the teeth in both dental arches

3) the most convex incisal angle on anterior teeth is found on which angle of which incisor? -
a) distoincisal-- maxillary lateral - ans, correct if wrong

4) Each of the following is condition usually foundin a mutually protected occlusion,in the normal upright position,except one.which is the exception?
a) none of the posterior teeth contact on the working side when the mandible move laterally - my guess, whats ur ideas?
d) ant. teeth contact more heavily than the posterior teeth

a) renal veins - ans, correct if wrong
b) mesentric veins
c) oesophageal veins
d) external iliac veins

6) Inorganic crystals in enamel rods are parallel to what? - to bodies of rods

7) what determines the direction of grooves and ridges? - do u have options?

Thanks

Thanks, will appreciate if u correct me.

hi Be Positive,

Hair follicle arises from epidermis not from dermis
Thanks for ur answers. can u explain why did u choose substantia gelatinosa for pain gate theory

Hair follicle is deep in dermis(just look at the pic), but lined with epidermis from the inside.

Hi, drdds. Do u mean another 2 DA questions that u posted? I would appreciate ur opinion on those answers that I just posted. Correct me, please, if they are wrong.

a) none of the posterior teeth contact on the working side when the mandible move laterally - my guess, whats ur ideas?
d) ant. teeth contact more heavily than the posterior teeth(i guess this is the answer, not sure , whats the key pls )

b) mesentric veins
c) oesophageal veins(answer)
d) external iliac veins

Hi Dolgov FL,

3) the most convex incisal angle on anterior teeth is found on which angle of which incisor? -
a) distoincisal-- maxillary lateral - ans.U r right

a) none of the posterior teeth contact on the working side when the mandible move laterally -
d) ant. teeth contact more heavily than the posterior teeth (ans) according to Truth Seeker.

a) renal veins
b) mesentric veins
c) oesophageal veins This is the answer according to the key.I dont understand the reason
d) external iliac veins

6) Inorganic crystals in enamel rods are parallel to what? - to bodies of rods

7) what determines the direction of grooves and ridges? - do u have options?
I dont have options.I think the answer is Cusps. Plz correct me if it is wrong

Thanks, will appreciate if u correct me.

d) ant. teeth contact more heavily than the posterior teeth(i guess this is the answer, not sure , whats the key pls )
I dont have key for this Q. can u explain why u arrived at this answer.

b) mesentric veins
c) oesophageal veins(answer)
d) external iliac veins
The answer which u selected is correct.This is one of the released Qs.Can u explain this also

The answer which u selected is correct.This is one of the released Qs.Can u explain this also

Originally Posted by Truth seeker

This answer is right and this question is from unreleased paper.Explanation is given in OKESON 3rd chapter page #82.

Iam referring this w.r.t collateral circulation Q for which the answer is Esophageal veins. I need explanation for this

Jaskiran,
Thanks for confirming the answer regarding the mutual protected occlusion Q.
Can u tell me what all the chapters we need to read from okeson

Iam referring this w.r.t collateral circulation Q for which the answer is Esophageal veins. I need explanation for this

Jaskiran,
Thanks for confirming the answer regarding the mutual protected occlusion Q.
Can u tell me what all the chapters we need to read from okeson

First 6 chapters of Okeson.

Plasmid-mediated antibiotic resistance in everything except:
a. Strep. pyogenes - key
b. Staph aureus
c. Neiseria gonorea
d. bordetella pertusis
e. Haemophilus influenza

I thought it's bordetella cuz it's self limiting = does not require antibiotic therapy.
Can anybody explain why it's Strep. pyogenes?
Thanks

Last edited:
plz help me with these..
1.glucose is retained in the cell by what enzyme?

2.What event percedes the calcification of matrix?

3. which is not carcinogenic? nitrosamines or polyhydrocarbons

can anyone answer this?
1. which cofiguration of mandibular 2nd premolar
(y,x,u,h) has the most trapezoidal shape occlusally?

2. what determines the direction of grooves and ridges?

3. In the longitudinal section of a mand. canine where us the pulp cavity thickest?