OMG! +/- Switch!

Algophiliac

Someday...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my school is officially switching to a +/- grade scale next year. That has pretty much solidified my decision not to take calculus freshman year! Does anyone have any tips on keeping grades at 94, aside from switching to an easier major? :laugh: A lot of the time, it's just silly mistakes or not enough low-yield study that keeps me in the low As, but I rarely pass the 94 mark for the entire semester in AP classes--how can I survive this now?

And also, what would anyone suggest in preparing to retake calculus I and II sophomore year or in the summer?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
93, not 94, and up is an A.

As far as Calculus (and to use a movie quote here), you're putting it up on a pedestal. It isn't that bad. The material is understandable if you just put time into it, regardless of your natural aptitude for math.

93, not 94, and up is an A.

As far as Calculus (and to use a movie quote here), you're putting it up on a pedestal. It isn't that bad. The material is understandable if you just put time into it, regardless of your natural aptitude for math.

Actually, it's 94 at my school now, or so I've been told.

Thanks for the advice...

Actually, it's 94 at my school now, or so I've been told.

That's weird. Wouldn't that make the entire student population's GPAs lower and, consequently, their desirability for graduate / professional positions. Why would they want that?

That's weird. Wouldn't that make the entire student population's GPAs lower and, consequently, their desirability for graduate / professional positions. Why would they want that?

Well, the school has 14 or so schools to which it routinely compares its own status, and apparently, all of these schools have already switched to a +/- system. There was also some information that said this would make ranking and scholarship awards much easier, especially in distinguishing the true best students in the class. But honestly, I don't know the real motivation behind this. :p

Ha, I have gotten so many A-s from dumb mistakes. My advice would just be to study everything because it can all eventually be tested.

And to be honest, calc should be that hard if you put in the effort. Take it an get it over with. I'm sure people can always help you if you need it.

Ha, I have gotten so many A-s from dumb mistakes. My advice would just be to study everything because it can all eventually be tested.

And to be honest, calc should be that hard if you put in the effort. Take it an get it over with. I'm sure people can always help you if you need it.

Thanks. :) I often feel I only study to a recognition level (since all of our tests are multiple choice), but there are enough tricky questions to make a 94 a difficult catch. Time to get serious.

Again, thank you. I sound like I'm whining on here, so I'm sorry about that! :laugh: I will take it first semester if there is room in my schedule (not sure if taking more than the limit, though it's lower than most schools', is a good idea), but if not, I think the breather will only be a benefit.

Thanks. :) I often feel I only study to a recognition level (since all of our tests are multiple choice), but there are enough tricky questions to make a 94 a difficult catch. Time to get serious.

Again, thank you. I sound like I'm whining on here, so I'm sorry about that! :laugh: I will take it first semester if there is room in my schedule (not sure if taking more than the limit, though it's lower than most schools', is a good idea), but if not, I think the breather will only be a benefit.

No problem. :) One of the nice things with calculus is having long answers so you will at least get partial credit if you study. Might as well get it out the way; there are lots of harder things in college than calculus. :)

Thanks for reminding me. Starting this summer, UF implemented a +/- system as well and I believe you have to get a 93 to get an A.

3.67 for A-
3.33 for B+
2.67 for B- and so on.

The bright side to this is that if you are borderline 90 and don't make it, you're fighting for the difference between 3.33 and 3.67 instead of 3.0 and 4.0.

It's horrible for those who tend to get straight A's, great for everyone else!

No problem. :) One of the nice things with calculus is having long answers so you will at least get partial credit if you study. Might as well get it out the way; there are lots of harder things in college than calculus. :)

Maybe for you. :laugh: For me, math is hell, and I hate what it does to my thinking and creativity skills. Apparently, during the summer, the single semester is spread out over the entire 3-month summer, so it won't be as rushed as if it were separated into one and a half months. Then I could also take it senior year, where the grade does not really matter. These may all sound like silly precautions...but calculus ruined my senior year of high school, and I don't want to start out freshman year on that note. :( I really don't. That and I don't have the schedule room, I don't think.

And DLi, I find getting 90s and 93s about 100 times easier than getting a 94 in every single class. This is going to be pure torture. Yay for optimism!