Switching Majors

rbSC2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After checking similar threads, I think my situation is a little unique so I thought I would create a new thread.

I'm actually already in college, but I think this sub-forum would be the correct one anyway.

I am currently a Logistics major, but I realized that I don't really like business and much as I had anticipated and was hoping for some quick advice. I have already completed a large portion of the Gen Eds for my current major, but all of them transfer over to a biology degree except my two science courses which were Geology courses.

So my questions are:

Would it be in my best interest to switch over to biology and go the Pre Med route if i truly enjoy science. I would be a little behind as this year I should have already completed at least one Biology and one Chemistry course.

If I do switch and my GPA isn't optimal after four years (lets say 3.0-3.3 range) what could I do? If I don't get accepted to any grad school could I do anything with a biology degree?

How math extensive will the pre med field be?

I realize this wall of text is getting larger and more unorganized by the moment, but heres a little back ground information that may be beneficial.

So far, I have volunteered at a hospital for 3 years during my summers during high school leading up to this year of college and I really enjoyed it, and currently in one of my Business classes I go to the colleges Medical center that focuses on cancer treatment and interact with patients, doctors, and staff. I have the option of shadowing doctors as well as watching a few surgeries. This course was intended on showing us business majors the value of community, but instead it just solidified my desire to switch majors.

I think that with this background, I have a close idea to wether or not I would like this profession.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Science GPAs are not looked upon the same way as a business GPA would be. That being said, a 3.3 will stick get you into grad school and even POSSIBLY med school if you have enough experience, etc as well. However, if you are concerned that you might only be able to make a 3.0 average as a Bio major, I would think twice before switching. I don't think I personally would switch if I was not confident that I could make at least a 3.5ish GPA or above (where one starts to be competitive). If you apply with a science GPA to a grad school not science related though, you'll still get in.somewhere. All schools know your major's classes were a lot harder than other majors'.

What did you do as a volunteer on the hospital? Just asking, as i think that might give me a hint to answer your question.