UCSD: Switching from Bioinformatics Major to Physiology and Neuroscience???

SupremeDoc

Gunner
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

So I'm going to be studying Bioinformatics at UCSD this fall. However, as someone who is planning to apply to medical schools, I worry about my GPA. Bioinformatics is a really tough major, and would require me to take a lot of unnecessary math and computer science courses (both subjects I'm not a big fan of). I think its a good choice for someone who wants to get into some sort of biotech company right out of college, but that's not my plan. And looking at the other pre-med kids at UCSD, they're all majoring in relatively easier subjects like Human bio, General bio, Micro bio, etc.

There are several different biology majors that I could choose from, and all of them are similar in their basic requirements, except they differ in their upper division requirements. In High School, I was part of the Science Olympiad team and did well in Anatomy, which sparked my interest in the study of the brain. So I think the best major for me to switch into would be Physiology and Neuroscience, because not only is it probably easier than bioinformatics, but I'm actually interested in the subject so it would be easier for me to study it.

I just wanted to make sure I'm making a sound decision in switching my major. All I know is that GPA is one of the most important factors in medical school admissions, and I don't want to ruin it by picking the wrong major.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

There is no wrong major...and there is no right major. Major in what ever you will enjoy and can get a good GPA in. Doesn't matter if it's Biology, History, English, Philosophy or whatever. You just need to do well.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree, major in whatever you'd like. I'm a junior pharmacology and toxicology major and honestly wish I would have majored in Finance. I probably could have gotten a better GPA in it, probably would be able to study less, and would be more applicable to me as a physician if I get into med school. They'll teach me the pharmacology I need to know in med school, they won't teach me the finance. Don't get caught up in majoring in a science unless you literally want to study nothing else for 4 years.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys! @Toutie @Gilakend

I actually don't mind studying physiology and neuroscience for 4 years, I'm passionate about the subject so (I hope) that drive will help me do well.

I just have one more question. If I end up taking the Math 10 series instead of the Math 20 series and the general Chemistry series instead of the honors Chem series, will my taking the "easier" classes be looked down upon by medical school admissions? Will they think I didn't challenge myself enough and just took the easy way out? And assuming I got a 3.9+ gpa in those classes. I'm just wondering because I need to choose what classes to take soon.

Thank you guys! @Toutie @Gilakend

I actually don't mind studying physiology and neuroscience for 4 years, I'm passionate about the subject so (I hope) that drive will help me do well.

I just have one more question. If I end up taking the Math 10 series instead of the Math 20 series and the general Chemistry series instead of the honors Chem series, will my taking the "easier" classes be looked down upon by medical school admissions? Will they think I didn't challenge myself enough and just took the easy way out? And assuming I got a 3.9+ gpa in those classes. I'm just wondering because I need to choose what classes to take soon.

From what I've heard: if it fulfills the requirement for your major and is par for your course then you're fine. In other words if it's the normal one for kids to take, go ahead. If you're trying to avoid a class by taking an easier one it might be looked down upon. I took calc for life sciences (which is normal for my major) instead of general calc because at my school only engineers take general calc really and the average grade is like a D+ according to my engineering friends. They said on the first day of class the professor said "I don't give A's". Also the same when you take physics, there's no point in taking calc based physics over algebra physics. You don't need calc physics and you're only taking time away from other things you could be doing to make a great application.

I don't think most adcom care as honors vs non honors. Usually honors classes are for each individual schools honors program and don't really matter much to med schools vs the normal class.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Go to a CC... save 100K (50K a year for UCSD... MINIMUM)...kill your classes... transfer to UCSD after 2 years (maybe 1 if you have AP credits)...

profit.

@Gilakend Oh OK that makes sense. I'm pretty much just taking the classes that are designed for pre-meds, not trying to necessarily "avoid" anything, so hopefully I should be good.

@DetectiveAlonzo Money is not a big problem for my family, and I already enrolled in UCSD :p.

@Gilakend Oh OK that makes sense. I'm pretty much just taking the classes that are designed for pre-meds, not trying to necessarily "avoid" anything, so hopefully I should be good.

@DetectiveAlonzo Money is not a big problem for my family, and I already enrolled in UCSD :p.

I was never insinuating that money was an issue.

A UC education (especially for your first 2 years) is pretty much useless in today's climate if you are hellbent on heading into medicine. Your undergrad does not matter. I am a UC-grad as well.

You tell me the better option..

A) graduate in 3 years with a 3.8+ GPA, smaller class sizes, less to no harsh curves in your grades, and save ~$60-$70,000 in tuition and even a whole YEAR (another $50-60,000 in value considering room and board, tuition, and book costs... estimated) which you can then spend to travel... beef up your app.. study for your MCAT... and ensure you get in somewhere of top quality?

or

B) risk tanking your gpa in the first 2 years in a super competitive environment like UCSD... not graduate early... risk taking an extra quarter or two to get your classes for your major because they aren't offered year round, and spend $200-250,000 on just a useless bachelor's degree you can't do **** with?

I know it's mommy and daddy's money... but there's a difference between the cost and the value of something... ESPECIALLY when it comes your bachelor's degree... which doesn't mean much nowadays unless you are doing engineering, law, or business.

@DetectiveAlonzo I understand what you are trying to say, but there are other factors as well. For example, UCSD has better research opportunities than a community college does, which is really important for medical school admissions. Next, what is the guarantee that I will be able to get into UCSD again from a CC? I'm willing to bet a CC is not much easier than UCSD, because there are a lot of people "hellbent" on transferring and will do anything to make A's.

Are you saying that every Freshman that enrolls in a UC school for premed is making a dumb decision?

@DetectiveAlonzo I understand what you are trying to say, but there are other factors as well. For example, UCSD has better research opportunities than a community college does, which is really important for medical school admissions. Next, what is the guarantee that I will be able to get into UCSD again from a CC? I'm willing to bet a CC is not much easier than UCSD, because there are a lot of people "hellbent" on transferring and will do anything to make A's.

Are you saying that every Freshman that enrolls in a UC school for premed is making a dumb decision?

Research doesn't mean jack unless you have the GPA to go along with it.

I see it every year. Pre-meds that think your ECs and research will get you in. It's not like that.

There are thousands of applicants to med schools. How do people screen your app? GPA and MCAT FIRST. ECs can come later.

Also... there's a thing called TAG... Transfer admission guarantee... which all or most UCs do.

That's right. It's a GUARANTEE that you will transfer to any of the UCs you choose to apply to.

Also.. I'm willing to bet you are wrong. You haven't taken any course at a CC and you haven't done the same at a UC either.

A CC from my own experience has smaller class sizes... no curves.. and more approachable professors that are willing to help you anyway possible.... unlike UC professors where you are just a serial number student ID to them and they are busy trying to do their own research so they jet out of class ASAP.

As long as you get an A in that course... it doesn't matter where you take the damn course.

Vice versa is true as well... there are courses at UCs that are a JOKE compared to your CC.

Yes... I think it is absolutely very stupid to go to a more expensive school to take the exact same courses for your first 2 years at a UC that you can take at a Community College for less than 10% of the cost it would be there.

My cousin just spent <$3000 the entire YEAR on classes and books at a CC. Lived at home. Had food made for him all the time. Dude was killing it in his classes. We actually used similar BOOKS too in the same courses I took back in undergrad.

That would have been $20,000-$25,000 for just the TUITION alone if he had done his first year at a UC. (this is with summer sessions included).

Like I said.. there is a difference between the cost and value of something.

Get out of the "namebrand" mindstate a lot of you high schoolers have.

You can make your own opportunities if you go out and find him. There are hospitals that have their own research departments you can be apart of... which looks much better and shows more initiative than hopping on some bull**** fruit fly research at your UC which everybody and their mom has on their resume.

Do your thing boo-boo.

Last edited:
That would have been $30,000 for just the TUITION alone if he had done his first year at a UC.

Which UC costs $30K a year for in state in just tuition? Not saying CC might not be a better option, but I'm pretty sure tuition alone is NOT $30K a year for a UC!

Which UC costs $30K a year for in state in just tuition? Not saying CC might not be a better option, but I'm pretty sure tuition alone is NOT $30K a year for a UC!

When I went to a UC... I was paying ~$6000 with 4 quarters a year (that's with summer session included),

Fixed my original post.

don't forget your cost of living.

Rent... food... gas... wi-fi... electricity.. utilities...

It all adds up QUICK.

When I went to a UC... I was paying ~$6000 with 4 quarters a year (that's with summer session included),

Fixed my original post.

don't forget your cost of living.

Rent... food... gas... wi-fi... electricity.. utilities...

It all adds up QUICK.
:confused: Um...Tuition at UCLA is currently about $13K a year and Cal is about $14K a year...not $20-25K. Yes, all the other stuff does add quite a bit to the cost and makes each well over $30K when everything is included. You don't even want to know what tuition was when I went to UCLA. Didn't come anywhere near $30K for all 4 years, including everything! Ahhh...the good old days. :D

But...I do still agree with you that 2 years at a CC and then transfer to a UC is a very good and very cost effective way to go.

:confused: Um...Tuition at UCLA is currently about $13K a year and Cal is about $14K a year...not $20-25K. Yes, all the other stuff does add quite a bit to the cost and makes each well over $30K when everything is included. You don't even want to know what tuition was when I went to UCLA. Didn't come anywhere near $30K for all 4 years, including everything! Ahhh...the good old days. :D

But...I do still agree with you that 2 years at a CC and then transfer to a UC is a very good and very cost effective way to go.

Well.. I'm looking at my paperwork here from a UC I went to. Graduated less than 5 years ago. This is with the price hikes that UC are currently incorporating too.

I paid exactly $5250 .... 4 quarters...

That's more than 20K.

Well.. I'm looking at my paperwork here from a UC I went to. Graduated less than 5 years ago. This is with the price hikes that UC are currently incorporating too.

I paid exactly $5250 .... 4 quarters...

That's more than 20K.
Okay, I think maybe we're on 2 different pages here. Are we talking tuition per year or tuition for 4 years? Or are we including all the assorted student fees, insurance etc? Or are we talking straight tuition? There is typically about a $3-4K to add in all the other stuff. Not sure how much summer tuition fees are.
Currently (2016-2017) Tuition is about $11K for 3 quarters UCI, $3740 per qtr.
UCI University Registrar - Undergraduate Student Fees 2016-17

And again Bruin to Anteater...we are in the same corner...beginning at a CC is a better choice financially! :highfive:

Okay, I think maybe we're on 2 different pages here. Are we talking tuition per year or tuition for 4 years? Or are we including all the assorted student fees, insurance etc? Or are we talking straight tuition? There is typically about a $3-4K to add in all the other stuff. Not sure how much summer tuition fees are.
Currently (2016-2017) Tuition is about $11K for 3 quarters UCI, $3740 per qtr.
UCI University Registrar - Undergraduate Student Fees 2016-17

And again Bruin to Anteater...we are in the same corner...beginning at a CC is a better choice financially! :highfive:

There probably are a bunch of BS costs they throw in there but yeah it's pricy.

I wasn't trying to argue with either so I apologize if I came across as a douche.

Internet text doesn't come across that well when having a genuinely civil convo.

Last edited: