Switching to pre-med, background only in humanities

hesitating

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've always been this kind of "only humanities" student, not good at math or physics. The only bad grade at high school that I got was a C for mathematics. After high school I entered a bachelor's programme (International Relations), in the middle of my second year moved to Europe, where I'm currently studying the humanities. Next semester I'm switching to the pre-med track.
What I wanted to ask the people who want to become doctors - is it actually worth worrying about the possible lack of an "innate" talent for natural sciences, or is it only a matter of diligence and effort that you put into studying? Has anyone maybe been in a similar kind of situation, studying humanities for their whole life, and then deciding to switch to medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

So, I've always been this kind of "only humanities" student, not good at math or physics. The only bad grade at high school that I got was a C for mathematics. After high school I entered a bachelor's programme (International Relations), in the middle of my second year moved to Europe, where I'm currently studying the humanities. Next semester I'm switching to the pre-med track.
What I wanted to ask the people who want to become doctors - is it actually worth worrying about the possible lack of an "innate" talent for natural sciences, or is it only a matter of diligence and effort that you put into studying? Has anyone maybe been in a similar kind of situation, studying humanities for their whole life, and then deciding to switch to medicine?

Plenty of humanities majors do well in medicine. Regardless of how much innate aptitude a person has for science, there is still a tremendous amount of studying required in med school.

Earning good grades based on solely talent and natural ability will only get somebody so far (read: not very far). Don't let a lack of ability discourage you from going into medicine, because it's very much a path where what you put in is what you get out. 90% of it is effort, studying, and generally working your *** off.

Medicine definitely depends on how much work you put into it. I've never been the greatest at science (I was a Psych major) but I'm doing just fine in medical school.