Ohio State vs. UIC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildcat1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was admitted to OSU pretty early in the cycle and this whole year I've been pretty set on that, but recently I've been having some doubts about leaving Chicago and moving to Columbus. Here are my thoughts:

From the interviews, I thought OSU was the best fit for me in terms of curriculum, both during the basic science and clinical years. I do best when I can study on my own and OSU's ISP program is pretty unique in allowing that. I also thought I fit in pretty well with the students at OSU. I've been really impressed with the school all the way around and they seem like a program that really has their act together. The thing is, I don't want to move to Columbus. I grew up in Illinois and have been working in Chicago for the past year. I'm not a huge fan of the Midwest (and the 6 months of winter), but as far as cities go, I think Chicago is fantastic. Long term I'd like to end up in California, but New York City would be great as well.

UIC is a great program, but I left the interview a little wary. The students I met seemed stressed out more so than at other places and not many people had good things to say about the school. Still, they have a solid reputation and I was really impressed by their match list. It's also my state school, so I could get instate tuition right away as opposed to waiting a year at OSU. Overall, cost is similar, but probably a little cheaper at OSU because of the lower cost of living.

Loyola and Jefferson are also options (and great programs too), but the cost is a bit more at each of those schools. Minimizing debt is my number one priority in choosing a school, followed by location, quality of life, and placement in California/New York. Sorry if this is a little rambling. Any input would be great. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Minimizing debt is my number one priority in choosing a school, followed by location, quality of life, and placement in California/New York.

Seems like you addressed your own concern. Given your residence, cost is fairly similar. Next priority = location, and you clearly prefer Chicago. As far as quality of life, location might have an influence. Also, if the students seemed stressed at UIC during your interview, it is possible that you interviewed very near an exam.

At any rate, both are great schools- there is no bad choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.