Official UTSW c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You guys are making me feel like an underachiever with your summer research plans! I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna do that. Hopefully it won't be too late to start thinking about research later on.

As for my summer plans, I'm just gonna work, pick up a few hobbies, take a few trips, and chill. Nothing major. Anyone doing something cool?

Members don't see this ad.

BTW, are you guys buying a new computer in the first semester? I wanted to see if my current laptop would work alright, but the financial aid doesn't leave room for that. Apparently, if you want to get fin aid to pay for your computer, you have to do it in the first year. Anyway... I was checking the computer requirements... it says you need a floppy disk drive. Who uses those nowadays? I don't have one now and don't want my new laptop (if I'm getting one) to have one either. What a waste of space.

Since I'm on the topic of electronics. Are there any PDA users around here? If so, what platform do you use? I haven't been in the market for PDA in a year or two... so I'm a little out of the loop. What are some good ones now? (I kind of prefer Palm OS) Do you know if UTSW require PDAs for 3rd or 4th year? I'm thinking about getting a new one since my current one is 4-5 years old (I know, but I still love it). If we have to get one for 3rd year, I'm probably gonna wait. Any input would be appreciated!

ClearDay said:
BTW, are you guys buying a new computer in the first semester? I wanted to see if my current laptop would work alright, but the financial aid doesn't leave room for that. Apparently, if you want to get fin aid to pay for your computer, you have to do it in the first year. Anyway... I was checking the computer requirements... it says you need a floppy disk drive. Who uses those nowadays? I don't have one now and don't want my new laptop (if I'm getting one) to have one either. What a waste of space.

Since I'm on the topic of electronics. Are there any PDA users around here? If so, what platform do you use? I haven't been in the market for PDA in a year or two... so I'm a little out of the loop. What are some good ones now? (I kind of prefer Palm OS) Do you know if UTSW require PDAs for 3rd or 4th year? I'm thinking about getting a new one since my current one is 4-5 years old (I know, but I still love it). If we have to get one for 3rd year, I'm probably gonna wait. Any input would be appreciated!
I'll be getting a new laptop for sure. My current one works fantastic, but it's almost 5 years old and the monitor top won't stay in place since it swings back and forth so easily. I'm guessing the disk drive is needed for whatever software that's required for the curriculum (if there's any).

As for electronics, a lot of students have told me to wait on it since 1) you won't need one until MS3 and 2) there'll be better technology by then.

Members don't see this ad :)
ClearDay said:
You guys are making me feel like an underachiever with your summer research plans! I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna do that. Hopefully it won't be too late to start thinking about research later on.

As for my summer plans, I'm just gonna work, pick up a few hobbies, take a few trips, and chill. Nothing major. Anyone doing something cool?
I'm getting all my 'cool' activitites out of the way before this summer. This coming weekend I'm going deep sea fishing if the weather's good. It'll either be an awesome experience or a nightmare, depending on whether it'll help me get over my fish-phobia.

Hey potato,

I dont think it is late. I made a list of investigators I wanted to work for during the summer. I emailed the first one on my list and he was very receptive to have me in his laboratory. None of the individuals I wanted to work for were on the list. Dr. McPhaul recently added him to the list though after me and the investigator committed.

Thanks, StartingLine3. I actually emailed a couple profs not on the list a few days ago and have yet to hear anything ;(

Anyone going to Dallas in the near future to check out places again? I'm doing so a few weekends from now, if weather is okay.

Speaking of weather, it wasn't exactly comforting to see a feature on the Discovery channel last night about a possible future 'super tornado' that could sweep through and level the Dallas area. Fun times for all.

potato51 said:
Thanks, StartingLine3. I actually emailed a couple profs not on the list a few days ago and have yet to hear anything ;(

Anyone going to Dallas in the near future to check out places again? I'm doing so a few weekends from now, if weather is okay.

Speaking of weather, it wasn't exactly comforting to see a feature on the Discovery channel last night about a possible future 'super tornado' that could sweep through and level the Dallas area. Fun times for all.

Well it's been raining like hell last 2 days. Now we're getting nice weather again. But summer will be hot hot hot. :thumbdown:

Dallas weather has sucked everytime I've been there. Interview day was cold as heck and MS0 was miserable. I read about a woman in the Turtle Creek area (not too far from UTSW) found dead from the floods. My part of Houston dodged the thunderstorm last night though.

I'm eagerly anticipating the hotness of summer.

potato51 said:

I'm gonna start looking early next month. I'm really not familiar with Dallas neighborhoods... So, it'll probably take a while to find something I like.

potato51 said:
I'll be getting a new laptop for sure. My current one works fantastic, but it's almost 5 years old and the monitor top won't stay in place since it swings back and forth so easily. I'm guessing the disk drive is needed for whatever software that's required for the curriculum (if there's any).

Floppy disk is a nightmare. Hopefully UTSW is using CD's for whatever stuff we need.

Has anyone estimated the moving expenses? I kind of have a ballpark figure for mine... and it's not pretty. Buying basic things for my place is gonna set me back thousands of dollars. *sigh* I guess I'll have to start eating ramen and save some money!

ClearDay said:
Has anyone estimated the moving expenses? I kind of have a ballpark figure for mine... and it's not pretty. Buying basic things for my place is gonna set me back thousands of dollars. *sigh* I guess I'll have to start eating ramen and save some money!

yeah, I was thinking of the same thing today; this will all be so expensive! i'm so ready to hear back from financial aid, so i know how much money I will have to spend! :)

I'm pretty lucky as I still have my things from my old apartment stored away, so I don't need to buy as many new things.

Did anyone get a financial aid letter this week? Mine just said they have all necessary documentation for them to proceed. Deadline is April 1st. Wish I had my financial aid info now so I can budget far enough in advance.

Did any SDNer get a UTSW merit scholarship? I figured at least a few would've gotten one like last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they said at mso that scholarships will be distributed with your financial aid package.

I got a letter from fin aid saying that they can't download my FAFSA app. because it was missing information. However, they didn't specify the section that needs correction. This process is so much fun!

StartingLine3 said:
I think they said at mso that scholarships will be distributed with your financial aid package.
Yes, but I believe UTSW gives out merit scholarships that are not need-based (not entirely at least). People were supposed to receive them just a few weeks after MS0, unlike years past when people were given scholarships ($3500 or $7000 per year) with their acceptance letters.

I'm thinking about doing some summer research. I hope it's not too late to contact the professors, because I probably won't get around to it until end of this week (thesis presentation Friday, eek!)

I got a message from financial aid requesting additional information. I haven't heard of anybody receiving scholarships yet.

I wonder why the list of projects is so short compared to previous years. I know the list is currently compiling, but I was expecting to see some additions the past couple of weeks.

Hey Lyricist, are you definite on UTSW or waiting on other schools still?

I think the list will get longer as people decide what they will be doing during the summer. The professor I will be working for did not get added to the list until I committed with him.

StartingLine3 said:
I think the list will get longer as people decide what they will be doing during the summer. The professor I will be working for did not get added to the list until I committed with him.
that's what I figured. the 3 I've contacted so far have been unresponsive. argh.

Lyricist said:
I'm thinking about doing some summer research. I hope it's not too late to contact the professors, because I probably won't get around to it until end of this week (thesis presentation Friday, eek!)

I got a message from financial aid requesting additional information. I haven't heard of anybody receiving scholarships yet.

Hey whats up guys. I'm going to be doing research this summer. Pretty excited about it actually. Hopefully I'll get to meet some of y'all then.
I don't really know what to do about finding a place though. Since it starts in late may and I'm not in Texas right now. I was thinking of submitting the ap for the medpark apartments, but I don't want to hand them 25 bucks if I don't actually live there.
I didn't get to go on the bus tour or see those apartments MS0 day. Whats the word on the med park apartments? good...bad...opinions?
So all I really want is a place near somewhere I can run outside. Although it would also be nice to be an an area where you could walk to places. Any ideas for those that saw more of Dallas?
Where were y'all looking at living and ect?

bobito said:
Hey whats up guys. I'm going to be doing research this summer. Pretty excited about it actually. Hopefully I'll get to meet some of y'all then.
I don't really know what to do about finding a place though. Since it starts in late may and I'm not in Texas right now. I was thinking of submitting the ap for the medpark apartments, but I don't want to hand them 25 bucks if I don't actually live there.
I didn't get to go on the bus tour or see those apartments MS0 day. Whats the word on the med park apartments? good...bad...opinions?
So all I really want is a place near somewhere I can run outside. Although it would also be nice to be an an area where you could walk to places. Any ideas for those that saw more of Dallas?
Where were y'all looking at living and ect?
yo bobito... long time... so I take it you're set on UTSW. were you at MS0? I remember seeing someone with a badge with your college's name on it, but maybe there were several of you.

as for places, I liked med park apartments, but I decided against living there since I didn't need all the conveniences they offered. I think 5225 maple might be a good option since it's cheaper and still very close to the school (~ 2 mins drive).

I was also impressed by the Village Apts (http://www.thevillageapts.com/) which consist of a whole bunch of complexes actually. They're ~15-20 mins away. Seemed like a good, quiet place for students since I noticed a lot of younger people living there. Probably the cheapest set of decent apartments I found in the area.

I'm going back in April to check out places again, especially those which might have affordable housing programs.

Bobito, my friend lives in MEDPARK with a roomie, and she absolutely loves it. She likes how close and convenient it is; she says it is also pretty safe, compared to other apartments in the area...I'm thinking of living there as well...

I have a question: Do you guys think it will be very necessary to have a car if I will be living at MEDPARK and can just ride the shuttle to and from school every day? My car is really old, and I need to get a new one if so....

Also, I received a letter from the financial aid office saying that they still need a Confirmation Form C, which is mailed out to them today...Did anyone else receive this? Will our financial aid packages take longer to be processed because of this? When should I expect to hear back?

ThaJewelofPR said:
Bobito, my friend lives in MEDPARK with a roomie, and she absolutely loves it. She likes how close and convenient it is; she says it is also pretty safe, compared to other apartments in the area...I'm thinking of living there as well...

I have a question: Do you guys think it will be very necessary to have a car if I will be living at MEDPARK and can just ride the shuttle to and from school every day? My car is really old, and I need to get a new one if so....

Also, I received a letter from the financial aid office saying that they still need a Confirmation Form C, which is mailed out to them today...Did anyone else receive this? Will our financial aid packages take longer to be processed because of this? When should I expect to hear back?
It's possible to get by without a car the first year at least, but it'd be tough considering you'd need to go out every so often. Make some good friends at the complex since you'll need to hitch a few rides ;)

I doubt your financial aid package will be delayed. Everyone finds out anyway in mid-to-late April online (yay another login conspiracy).

I don't think you'll need a car until 3rd year, unless you want to go to Anat lab late at night to study or something. I'm not sure how convenient it would be to live w/o a car though - how would you run arrands and groceries? With clinicals on 3rd and 4th year, it'll be difficult in my opinion to get by w/o a car. Just my opinion

i'm starting my own countdown for when I officially resign from my job in 64 days. woohoo.

for those of you doing research, is there a set date for you guys to start?

That's not fair, potato! I still have more than 90 days left.

ClearDay said:
That's not fair, potato! I still have more than 90 days left.
heh, i'll be sure to remind you of it if I ever see you around....... j/k

Funny thing is, I get to interview applicants who want my job now. But a lot of them are waitlisted premeds. I'd love to train a couple of 'em, but it's possible they'll be taken off a waitlist somewhere and all my effort put into them will go to waste.

Right now, i'm 75% toward UTSW and 25% toward Duke, but if I attend, who's going to vote me for either class rep or some sort of position where I can abuse my power. I'm campaigning even though I dont remember if they have student government there or not, but anyway, VOTE FOR KEVIN and he'll help you get a date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

forevalwayzz said:
Right now, i'm 75% toward UTSW and 25% toward Duke, but if I attend, who's going to vote me for either class rep or some sort of position where I can abuse my power. I'm campaigning even though I dont remember if they have student government there or not, but anyway, VOTE FOR KEVIN and he'll help you get a date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
heh... you got my vote. Campaign to get everyone AOA status and you'll be set ;)

Dude, for the longest time I thought you were a girl (interesting choice of username for a guy :p.) I'll vote for you if you can convince the dean to give me a full scholarship. :D

forevalwayzz said:

I'm afraid my vote requires more than a date. How about a full-fledged sugar daddy to cover all med school expenses?

all expense-paid med school, NOW we're talkin'...

forevalwayzz said:

There's definitely student government. I met the co-president of the c/o 2009 when I interviewed. But I'm in agreement with everyone else that money talks... although food can sometimes be a suitable substitute.

ok ok ok folks, I have read your concerns and I will ease your mind with my sweet words. Like many great leaders in the past, I will promise you everything you want if you vote for me, and break all those promises once i'm in office ^_^ As for the full fledged sugar daddy that all of you are looking for to cover your med school expenses, I'm sure that together (when I'm elected of course), we can find a solution to these problems and lessen the financial burden placed on most of us. As for AoA status, the easiest solution would either be increasing class size by accepting "dumb" people so that all of us would be in the top 10% of the class, or get the same grade and performance on all the tests and evaluations. But please, I can't help you if you dont put me in power, once again, a vote for Kevin is a vote for yourself.

oh, I forgot to mention the almighty important temptation of foods: if elected, everyone take turn to cook/buy stuff/organize events and we'll have a social luau somewhere once every two weeks, if not once a week, but definitely after every exam.

potato51 said:
yo bobito... long time... so I take it you're set on UTSW. were you at MS0? I remember seeing someone with a badge with your college's name on it, but maybe there were several of you.

I'm going back in April to check out places again, especially those which might have affordable housing programs.

Hey whats up. I'm definitely the only one from my school at MS0, or even who applied to utsw. So that was me.

Let us know what you think when you go back up to dallas to check places out.

ThaJewelofPR said:

I think you defnintely are going to want to have a car. If only for the reason that without it you'd be very dependent on others to do anything except go to school. You should just bring your crappy old one and not use it very often. Just so that if you want to do something you can.

bobito said:
I think you defnintely are going to want to have a car. If only for the reason that without it you'd be very dependent on others to do anything except go to school. You should just bring your crappy old one and not use it very often. Just so that if you want to do something you can.

Yeah I think I will either get a new car this summer, or just take my crappy old one to Dallas...I didn't think it was quite feasible to not have a car either, I was just checking to be sure... :)

I'm gonna wait til 3rd year to get a new car too. Oh finaid where art thou?

wow, almost dead post... anywayz, anyone want to share where they will live? I'm looking at apartment and not quite sure of where is the "best" place, so help me out (I'm currently looking into the village where they have a country club, I'm a big tennis/golf player). To comment on the transportation topic, I think Dallas is a big place and unless you're planning to stay in most of the time and have little say on where to go out, get a car or a motorcycle. Having friends help too but you know how it is when asking for ride when you're young.

forevalwayzz said:
wow, almost dead post... anywayz, anyone want to share where they will live? I'm looking at apartment and not quite sure of where is the "best" place, so help me out (I'm currently looking into the village where they have a country club, I'm a big tennis/golf player). To comment on the transportation topic, I think Dallas is a big place and unless you're planning to stay in most of the time and have little say on where to go out, get a car or a motorcycle. Having friends help too but you know how it is when asking for ride when you're young.
The Village Apts seemed nice, but I wonder how long a commute it is in the morning to UTSW. It's a lot further than, say, Inwood or the Med Park apartments.

Has anyone checked the roommate bulletin board lately? There are lots of new postings on there if you're interested.

ClearDay said:
Has anyone checked the roommate bulletin board lately? There are lots of new postings on there if you're interested.
Hey if I'm able to log in, do you think it means i got accepted?
j/k... but yeah, it's a really helpful board

potato51 said:
Hey if I'm able to log in, do you think it means i got accepted?

I don't think so. I mean, it might sort of correlate. But if you want a concrete answer, check your LMFU.

:laugh:

Hey guys, I know we are supposed to be sending our transcripts by the end of april because I remember from the form they gave us, but is there anything else we need to send in anytime soon? I haven´t received any correspondence from the school since MS0, has anyone else? Hurry up financial aid!!

Dean

Deanmonster said:
Hey guys, I know we are supposed to be sending our transcripts by the end of april because I remember from the form they gave us, but is there anything else we need to send in anytime soon? I haven´t received any correspondence from the school since MS0, has anyone else? Hurry up financial aid!!

Dean
Only your immunization record which has to be sent before you register (late summer). I can't think of anything else.

HEY! I know this is kinda late but I wanted to congratulate all of you on making it to UTSW! I'm pretty sure getting into med school is the hardest part of your entire journey to becoming a doctor, so now you can take a breath or two and relax (and finish up college half-assed like I did).

If you have any questions about UTSW just let me (or someone else you can find from UTSW) know. Congrats again!! ;)

hey Prophecies... just a general q about med school, if you have any idea about this: do the folks in your class who didn't go to MS straight out of undergrad have a tougher time with the academics? It's been 4 years since I graduated and 5 years since I took the MCAT, and I wonder if the fact I've forgotten most everything (orgo? what's orgo?) will hurt me.