Official UTSW c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
potato51 said:
Are place-out exams a good idea? I'm sure it'd be great to decrease your courseload, but I'd be concerned how it'd affect preparation for boards if I didn't learn the relevant material in med school. (man do I sound lame for mentioning boards already!)

I don't remember much about exams except they are not administered all at once. I think a curriculum schedule was given in interviewee packets.

Good point, but I think it would be nice to know what options we have. Beside, with the decreased courseload, I can probably use the extra time to study for the boards (if I REALLY want to.) :)

From the interview, I think they said they have exams all the time (yikes!) I just wanted to verify.

Members don't see this ad.

Any UT Austin students get an email from Dr. Parker today about a dinner in Austin on 2/22? I wonder if they're doing something similar for students of other cities/colleges since I've been out of undergrad for years and have lived in Houston since.

potato51 said:
Any UT Austin students get an email from Dr. Parker today about a dinner in Austin on 2/22? I wonder if they're doing something similar for students of other cities/colleges since I've been out of undergrad for years and have lived in Houston since.

I got the same e-mail, and I've lived in Dallas for the past 4 years. Seems like quite a drive for dinner at Double Dave's ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Lorrayne said:
I got the same e-mail, and I've lived in Dallas for the past 4 years. Seems like quite a drive for dinner at Double Dave's ;)
heh, imagine if we had actually made the drive. They'd think we were nuts ;)

Do what I did and ask Dr. Parker (she seems very nice, btw) or whoever sent you the email if a similar event is planned for the Dallas area. I asked and was then invited to go to a Houston dinner given by Dr. Wright instead on 2/20.

Congrats to all. I'm 99% sure I'll be going to UTSW and hope to see you guys at the MS0 Day.

On a side note, are there any fellow DFWers who are planning to live at home? It would be great if I can find a carpool buddy who lives close to me and ride the HOV. BTW I'm at 444 Crestview Point Dr. 75067 so it's right on 121 and I35.

potato51 said:
heh, imagine if we had actually made the drive. They'd think we were nuts ;)

Do what I did and ask Dr. Parker (she seems very nice, btw) or whoever sent you the email if a similar event is planned for the Dallas area. I asked and was then invited to go to a Houston dinner given by Dr. Wright instead on 2/20.

What Houston dinner? I didn't get any emails about this! :mad:

potato51 said:

weird, I live in Austin and didn't get any such email. Oh well, I guess I might end up seeing everyone in the fall.

Hahahaha exam place outs lol:laugh:No there is no place out, and I seriously doubt anyone could place out of any class at all based on pervious knowledge. And exams are usually spaced, though in the last month we've had a test every week for 4 weeks or so, but now have 3 week break. Keep in mind each test is like taking a final, so its not like undergrad, no breaks with test a week away. Anyhow second year you take all classes together and its blocks based on organ system, so test like every 3 weeks and thats it, all time.

Alexander Pink said:
Hahahaha exam place outs lol:laugh:No there is no place out, and I seriously doubt anyone could place out of any class at all based on pervious knowledge. And exams are usually spaced, though in the last month we've had a test every week for 4 weeks or so, but now have 3 week break. Keep in mind each test is like taking a final, so its not like undergrad, no breaks with test a week away. Anyhow second year you take all classes together and its blocks based on organ system, so test like every 3 weeks and thats it, all time.

Is med school at UTSW anything like you've expected? Any surprises?
On average, do most people go to class? How many hours do you study a day? I can go on, but I think that's enough for now.

ClearDay said:
Is med school at UTSW anything like you've expected? Any surprises?
On average, do most people go to class? How many hours do you study a day? I can go on, but I think that's enough for now.

Yes like I expected, probably tougher, harder to make a decent grade than I thought it would be. I say class attendance can range depends on class. Probably from 25% -80%. I stopped going to class this semester (still go to lab). I think its better, lot more time. I study about 5 hours a day and about 9 hours a day on test week, with usually like a 24 hour session before test, but I am an insomniac so most people probably don't do that 24 hour thing, but do study a lot.

Lorrayne said:

I got an invitation for a dinner in Dallas on the 13th.

Jedix123 said:
Congrats to all. I'm 99% sure I'll be going to UTSW and hope to see you guys at the MS0 Day.

On a side note, are there any fellow DFWers who are planning to live at home? It would be great if I can find a carpool buddy who lives close to me and ride the HOV. BTW I'm at 444 Crestview Point Dr. 75067 so it's right on 121 and I35.

Do you mean 35E (i.e. Lewisville) or 35W (i.e. Ft. Worth)? Either way, its a pretty long drive. Doesn't sound like a good commute

ClearDay said:
What Houston dinner? I didn't get any emails about this! :mad:
I think they sent email based on where a significant number of students went to undergrad (Austin for UT, Houston for Rice/UH/HBU, Dallas for UTD/UTA, etc.) Since my undergrad was in Austin that's why I received the email for that get together.

Houston area UTSW together:
The date......Monday, February 20
The place....Star Pizza (2111 Norfolk)
The time......5:30 p.m.

Members don't see this ad :)
potato51 said:
I think they sent email based on where a significant number of students went to undergrad (Austin for UT, Houston for Rice/UH/HBU, Dallas for UTD/UTA, etc.) Since my undergrad was in Austin that's why I received the email for that get together.

Houston area UTSW together:
The date......Monday, February 20
The place....Star Pizza (2111 Norfolk)
The time......5:30 p.m.

Do you have to RSVP? My undergrad is from out of state, but I'm in Houston now. I want to be included! :)

ClearDay said:
Do you have to RSVP? My undergrad is from out of state, but I'm in Houston now. I want to be included! :)
no need to RSVP. They even tell you in the original email you don't have to ;)

potato51 said:
no need to RSVP. They even tell you in the original email you don't have to ;)

Thanks

This is so inefficient - they should've just emailed all accepted students with the info for all locations since it seems like lots of people have already graduated and moved away.

Lee580 said:
Do you mean 35E (i.e. Lewisville) or 35W (i.e. Ft. Worth)? Either way, its a pretty long drive. Doesn't sound like a good commute

35E so in Lewisville which is much better than Fort Worth.

Woohoo. My application status on the UTSW page has changed to "Accepted and Deposited."

I don't do myself any favors here in trying to avoid the "obsessive" label, but I was able to log into the Big Sib site finally. My thinking is once UTSW accepted/matched you, you were still in their database (allowing you to log into their restricted sites except Big Sib), then when you got matched and sent your acceptance form, they give you full access.

Lyricist said:
I got an invitation for a dinner in Dallas on the 13th.

Are you planning on going? I have to work that night, so I won't be able to make it. But I'll definitely be at the MS0 weekend.

potato51 said:
Woohoo. My application status on the UTSW page has changed to "Accepted and Deposited."

yo potato, can you help me out and let me know the application status website address? I can't find it...

potato51 said:

You think that means that they recieved and processed your acceptance fax/letter?

JIGGLE IT said:
You think that means that they recieved and processed your acceptance fax/letter?
Yeah, that's what it means. I sent mine by mail.

so i have a motorcycle and a car right now. Is it reasonable to ride my motorcycle around in Dallas or is there too much traffic downtown? It seems like we're pretty close to downtown. I had it in uptown New Orleans for awhile and it was handy, but there's not much traffic there except during rush hour and mardi gras.

What do y'all think? I'm also planning on buying a bicycle to ride to school most days.

Anyone going to MS0 and staying at a hotel? Do the hotels still offer discounted rates for UT Southwestern events? I keep calling hotels, and the front desk folks sound unaware of any reduced rates. Maybe it's just the weekend staff.

potato51 said:
Anyone going to MS0 and staying at a hotel? Do the hotels still offer discounted rates for UT Southwestern events? I keep calling hotels, and the front desk folks sound unaware of any reduced rates. Maybe it's just the weekend staff.

Have you tried the Crowne Plaza?

ClearDay said:
Have you tried the Crowne Plaza?
they were the first i called and they actually hung up on me. grrrr...

I'll try again on the weekdays, I reckon. I understand a lot of interviewees stayed there the past few months.

Does anyone know anything about med park? I dont really know anyone that is going to UTSW, so I thought this would be a good place for me to stay. I am thinking of getting a one bedroom apartment ... does anyone know if it is cheaper/more expensive than the going rate of apartments around the campus?

StartingLine3 said:
Does anyone know anything about med park? I dont really know anyone that is going to UTSW, so I thought this would be a good place for me to stay. I am thinking of getting a one bedroom apartment ... does anyone know if it is cheaper/more expensive than the going rate of apartments around the campus?
My understanding is that Med Park is more expensive, but it's a lot safer as it's further away from the Medical Center.

I really have no idea where I want to live. I hear there's one on Inwood that's closer to UTSW and actually cheaper, so I might check it out.

Does anyone have the itinerary for MS0 day? I can't seem to find it. I need to know what time we are finishing on Saturday.

Thanks

Did anyone recieve emails from there interviewers congratulating you on your acceptance to UTSW. Both interviewers sent me emails, and I am flattered and amazed that they took the time out to give me congrats. I really cant wait to August :D I really hope i can make MSO weekend

potato51 said:
Hi everyone,

Here's the link for the UTSW Class of 2009 thread from last year
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=176511&page=1&pp=25

Reason why I'm putting up the URL is there is discussion in there regarding places to live. Very informative, though you'll have to sift through a lot of pages. Hope that helps.

Potato, thanks for the link.

I have a question for current UTSW who bought a condo instead of renting. How do lenders determine how much money you can afford since we (mostly likely) won't be working and will be living off a student loan. Was it difficult to come up with mortgage payment for the 3 months you're not in school? What about property taxes (and how much is that in Dallas, BTW?)

Thanks!

What's up everyone, congrats!

Much to my chagrin, I think modern times will force me to change from a pager to a cell phone when I go to Dallas. Does anyone have any recommendations for a provider in Dallas? I feel like I hate all cell phone companies :)

Thanks.

Peace,
Rick

xluke said:
What's up everyone, congrats!

Much to my chagrin, I think modern times will force me to change from a pager to a cell phone when I go to Dallas. Does anyone have any recommendations for a provider in Dallas? I feel like I hate all cell phone companies :)

Thanks.

Peace,
Rick

Are cell phones still banned in hospitals due to interference with medical equipment? Either way I think pagers are still the standard, with some people opting for a pda/cell phone like the Treo or iMates.

As for cell phone providers, I'm biased toward Cingular and Tmobile due to the 3G network. Tmobile has good customer service.

Hi guys,
First post alert! Sorry to invade your thread, but I figured that people who were already accepted might be able to answer my question. Anyway I really want to go to UTSW after I graduate but right now I'm freaking out because under their Physics requirement it says "Any course for non-science or health career majors (nursing, pharmacy, or allied health sciences) are not accepted." Right now I'm in my second semester of Physics for life science majors. I go to the University of Oklahoma and all they offer (that I know of) is Physics for Engineers, Physics for physics majors, and physics for non-science majors and then the class that I'm in. So...am I screwed or what? Anyone else have a similar experience?
Thanks

JJW1010 said:
Hi guys,
First post alert! Sorry to invade your thread, but I figured that people who were already accepted might be able to answer my question. Anyway I really want to go to UTSW after I graduate but right now I'm freaking out because under their Physics requirement it says "Any course for non-science or health career majors (nursing, pharmacy, or allied health sciences) are not accepted." Right now I'm in my second semester of Physics for life science majors. I go to the University of Oklahoma and all they offer (that I know of) is Physics for Engineers, Physics for physics majors, and physics for non-science majors and then the class that I'm in. So...am I screwed or what? Anyone else have a similar experience?
Thanks

I don't see the problem. If you're taking physics for life science majors, then it would be accepted. From what you wrote, courses for non-science or health career majors are not accepted. The course you're taking falls into neither of those categories, so sounds like you're in good shape. Of course, you can always email UTSW admissions just to be sure. Good luck next cycle.

Yeah life sciences just basically sounds like biology so you're good to go.

Ok, I guess I was just confused from the "no health careers majors" part. I feel much better now, thanks guys!

Is attending MS0 weekend critical? I have two exams scheduled that Friday; my professors would probably let me make them up, but it'd be a hassle.

Lyricist said:
Is attending MS0 weekend critical? I have two exams scheduled that Friday; my professors would probably let me make them up, but it'd be a hassle.

Of course not. It's optional. But it might help you make a decision regarding which school to attend.

It really isn't. From the looks of the schedule they've given us, it's pretty much like their interview day (financial aid, life in Dallas, curriculum, etc.). UTSW will still send you all relevant materials if you weren't able to attend... I think.

Are you in the Dallas area and able to make it on Saturday, though?

Anyone going to attend the UTSW dinner for Houstonians tomorrow?

potato51 said:
It really isn't. From the looks of the schedule they've given us, it's pretty much like their interview day (financial aid, life in Dallas, curriculum, etc.). UTSW will still send you all relevant materials if you weren't able to attend... I think.

Are you in the Dallas area and able to make it on Saturday, though?

I could make it on Saturday, but the info (financial aid, tour of Dallas) isn't particularly relevant to me as an international student and a DFW resident. Plus, I've worked at UTSW, so I'm pretty familiar with the school already.

*sigh* I just wanted to meet y'all actually.

Lyricist said:
I could make it on Saturday, but the info (financial aid, tour of Dallas) isn't particularly relevant to me as an international student and a DFW resident. Plus, I've worked at UTSW, so I'm pretty familiar with the school already.

*sigh* I just wanted to meet y'all actually.

I won't be abe to make it to the MS0 either. I was hoping to see some of my future classmates there - oh well. I'll probably go to the Houston dinner tomorrow.

On a slightly different topic, anybody thinking about buying a condo?

I'm planning on going Friday...