Official UTSW c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm glad our thread has some movements. It's almost sad we have nothing to talk about. :p

Does anyone know if UTSW video-tape lectures?

Members don't see this ad.

ClearDay said:
I'm glad our thread has some movements. It's almost sad we have nothing to talk about. :p

They do but, only for MSII.

That's unfortunate. Hopefully they have a good scribe service. I'm starting to dread being at school 8-5.

Members don't see this ad :)
ClearDay said:

Someone told me that first years might soon (a year or two? hopefully this fall ;) )have videotaped lectures, which would be awesome. For now it's just the MS2's that have 'em.

ClearDay said:
That's unfortunate. Hopefully they have a good scribe service. I'm starting to dread being at school 8-5.
i hear ya... it's like work, only I don't get paid to attend. At least there's the option of not attending class.

potato51 said:
i hear ya... it's like work, only I don't get paid to attend. At least there's the option of not attending class.

So how's your summer trip planning coming along?

I'll be at MS0. On another note, how difficult would it be to videotape our own lectures. All we really need is a DV Camcorder. I can encode it and run a torrent and I'm sure with a torrent we can get the lectures out.

ClearDay said:
So how's your summer trip planning coming along?
the planning has been non-existent so far. I'll get on it soon. Next month i'm taking a week off to chill though~!

Jedix123 said:
I'll be at MS0. On another note, how difficult would it be to videotape our own lectures. All we really need is a DV Camcorder. I can encode it and run a torrent and I'm sure with a torrent we can get the lectures out.
Run a what, now? ;)

I'll see how it goes the first few weeks of class. I really don't even want to think about that stuff right now.

Jedix123 said:

We have a tech dude in the house (you're a dude, right?). If you're willing to do that, I'll be the first to volunteer you for the job. :D I've never used a torrent before but sounds like it might be slow to download stuff from. whatis.com says it may take a few hours to download a full-length movie from a torrent?

I see from your profile that you're from DFW area. Can you recommend some safe neighborhoods that's not toooo far from school, preferably somewhere that has lots of stuff to do (museums, restaurants, music, etc). I'm looking for a condo (a less expensive one). Thanks!

potato51 said:
the planning has been non-existent so far. I'll get on it soon. Next month i'm taking a week off to chill though~!

Chill? That sounds good, but I don't even know how to just chill anymore. I think I'm just too hyper at this point. I'm trying to find something productive to do before we start med school. Learning conversational Spanish and learning Capoeira (Brazillian martial arts) are the two options I'm considering right now. I'll probably just do both.

I'll be at MS0 this weekend. What're you guys wearing? It says casual. What is that? Business casual... jeans and T-shirt... I think i'm going with the jeans. I don't know.

Clearday, my brother lived off of Maple for a couple years and said they have condos around there. I think all the way to Turtle Creek is residential condos and apartments. Hopefully, they will tell us some of this info during the Dallas tour. I'm considering buying, but I want to get data so that I can crunch some numbers.

Wish I had taken another day off to go apartment hunting. I hear a lot of good things about the area just blocks north of the school. And of course, there's Med Park.

Don't count out places like Irving and Las Colinas which might be safer(?) and cheaper, but further away and probably a lot less interesting to live in.

As for attire, I'm thinking jeans.

Looks like tomorrow there's a chance of thunderstorms, while Saturday will be a nicer day.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm the tall chinese dude who will look a lot like Yao wearing khakis. I really don't think a torrent would take that long especially if everyone contributes bw and if we initally seed from the UTSW carrels. We just need a few dedicated ppl who are will to keep computers on.

As for places that are close and cheap.. I have no idea. Las Colinas is not too cheap but cheaper than University Park and Highland Park. The higher the cost, the safer the place is too. So my best advice is talk to a med student and find a place that has the best price/distance ratio for you. In any case most people live in med park.

What did you guys think? I think it's time to do some FAFSA. Also the on campus housing/apartments didn't really wow me so it looks like I'll be driving from home which only takes 25 min without traffic. Also this allows me to to get Verizon FiOS with 5 mbit upload so I can initally seed the lectures if we ever do it.. Other than that I think the study carrels will be plenty good for on campus studying before I make the 11PM trek home.

So how was MS0?

Jedix, I'll also be commuting (from Arlington - not too bad as long as I avoid rush hour).

MS0 was pretty neat except for the dreary weather. I didn't really learn all that much except for some clarifications on financial aid today (had no idea priority deadline was March 1st). Mostly I wanted to meet the potential classmates, who were a cool bunch. The school fed us well - I even had to cannibalize this morning :oops:

Jedix123 - I liked the UTSW apts but checked out several places after the Med Park reception and found a couple complexes that I more prefer. Some students kept harping on Med Park's prices, but I didn't really find them all that different from other places in the area.

What'd everyone else think?

potato51 said:
MS0 was pretty neat except for the dreary weather. I didn't really learn all that much except for some clarifications on financial aid today (had no idea priority deadline was March 1st). Mostly I wanted to meet the potential classmates, who were a cool bunch. The school fed us well - I even had to cannibalize this morning :oops:

Jedix123 - I liked the UTSW apts but checked out several places after the Med Park reception and found a couple complexes that I more prefer. Some students kept harping on Med Park's prices, but I didn't really find them all that different from other places in the area.

What'd everyone else think?

About the priority deadline, does that mean they have to receive info from FAFSA by March 1? If so, how long does it take for FAFSA to process our files? What happens if you don't make the deadline?

ClearDay said:
About the priority deadline, does that mean they have to receive info from FAFSA by March 1? If so, how long does it take for FAFSA to process our files? What happens if you don't make the deadline?
I'm not sure about the first question, but I know it doesn't take long at all to process. Mine was officially "processed" the day after I submitted mine, from looking at my online FAFSA status. And I got the impression that submitting after the deadline (maybe a few days late) wouldn't be a big deal. Since these files are looked at on a first-come first-serve basis, what's more important is getting yours in earlier than your potential classmates.

We're officially supposed to have our FA packages by mid to end of April, which you find online.

I need to get going with the vaccinations though. Hope I haven't lost my records.

potato51 said:
I'm not sure about the first question, but I know it doesn't take long at all to process. Mine was officially "processed" the day after I submitted mine, from looking at my online FAFSA status. And I got the impression that submitting after the deadline (maybe a few days late) wouldn't be a big deal. Since these files are looked at on a first-come first-serve basis, what's more important is getting yours in earlier than your potential classmates.

We're officially supposed to have our FA packages by mid to end of April, which you find online.

I need to get going with the vaccinations though. Hope I haven't lost my records.

I thought FA people says it takes upto 6 weeks to process FAFSA files. I like your answer better, though.

My vaccination stuff is still updated since work requires it. Isn't it the same for you? Is there anything else we need to know/do before orientation?

I wonder when they'll send me info from MS0 since I didn't go.

Deanmonster said:
Clearday, my brother lived off of Maple for a couple years and said they have condos around there. I think all the way to Turtle Creek is residential condos and apartments. Hopefully, they will tell us some of this info during the Dallas tour. I'm considering buying, but I want to get data so that I can crunch some numbers.

Thanks, Deanmonster. I'll look up those areas (those are street names, right?) Did they give any useful info about buying during MS0?

They didn't mention anything specific about it but there were some med students who were answering questions like that. The Med Park Apartments are very basic but quite new. There are others nearby like Inwood on the Park or Jefferson on the Park (the names run together) that were cheaper but my tour guide said some people had their cars broken into or stolen while the Med Parks haven't had one yet.

Now the uptown region around Oak Lawn and Turtle Creek are nice but more pricey than even Med Park. Also there are condos here so you might see a return on your investment if you choose that route. Now after that the bus tour took us over to 75 and the Village which really got me thinking about staying at home. They seemed to take the same amount of time commuting so that pretty much sealed the deal for me 1st and maybe 2nd year. I'm pretty sure I'll stay very near campus 3rd year though since time will be a bigger issue then.

Also I think the priority deadline is actually April 1st. But the disclaimer is "Be sure to complete your application at least 1 month before your priority date above. A student admitted after these priority dates should apply immediately and will be eligible once the file is complete in the OSFA."

Here's the link:
http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept20210/files/83460.html

Jedix123 said:
Also I think the priority deadline is actually April 1st. But the disclaimer is "Be sure to complete your application at least 1 month before your priority date above. A student admitted after these priority dates should apply immediately and will be eligible once the file is complete in the OSFA."

Here's the link:
http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept20210/files/83460.html
Hmm, perhaps you're right. When they split us off into two groups (A-L and M-Z), our financial aid counselor informed us it was actually March 1st. I wonder if the other group (M-Z) was told this too. Always thought it was April myself.

I didn't remember anything alarming like March 1st and I was in the M-Z section.

Jedix123 said:
I didn't remember anything alarming like March 1st and I was in the M-Z section.
yeah, A-L was told March 1st. I emailed the office for clarification. will let y'all know...

Ok, clarification on FAFSA:

Priority deadline is April 1st, but March 1st is a good general guideline that ensures they'll get it in early. Generally, UTSW receives your FAFSA info 36 hrs after it's submitted.

Ya I want to know how much money I can get. :D

Jedix123 said:
Ya I want to know how much money I can get. :D
I'm $o with ya on thi$ one. It wa$ al$o $aid that $ome of the cla$$ will get a merit-ba$ed $cholarship in the upcoming week$. If it'$ like the previou$ year$, about 10% will be awarded one.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Time to blow all of it on a new DLP tv!!!

ClearDay said:
Thanks, Deanmonster. I'll look up those areas (those are street names, right?) Did they give any useful info about buying during MS0?

Nope, although they did talk about the various areas that people live. Here's the best website I found thus far for condos. If you go to Advanced Search and put in Dallas - Downtown/Oaklawn, it gives you the closest area to campus (I think).

edit: Here are some better websites for the housing search

www.realtor.com

http://www.dallascad.org/SearchAddr.aspx

http://www.zillow.com/

I was surprised on the bus tour how filled with apartments/condos one road was... Cedar Springs maybe? Looked like a (relatively) nice area, though pricy I'm sure.

ClearDay said:
I'd take it with a grain of salt. Usually the only people who participate are the unhappy customers. :)
yeah I figured that too. I figured it was mostly dissatisfied residents or apt. competitors badmouthing the complexes. That's why I thought it remarkable that any place could score above a 50% ;)

potato51 said:
yeah I figured that too. I figured it was mostly dissatisfied residents or apt. competitors badmouthing the complexes. That's why I thought it remarkable that any place could score above a 50% ;)

I've lived at my apartment for three years and it got a 21% approval rating. Granted, it's nothing special, but it's definitely an OK place to live. Some people just have nothing better to do than complain.
My husband and I are moving into our Dallas apartment at the end of April. Right now we live in the DFW suburbs, so it will be great to finally get a place in the city. Happy house (or apartment) hunting, everyone :luck:

Lorrayne said:
I've lived at my apartment for three years and it got a 21% approval rating. Granted, it's nothing special, but it's definitely an OK place to live. Some people just have nothing better to do than complain.
My husband and I are moving into our Dallas apartment at the end of April. Right now we live in the DFW suburbs, so it will be great to finally get a place in the city. Happy house (or apartment) hunting, everyone :luck:
Good luck with the move. If you don't mind me asking, to what area (general area, not specific streets or anything) will you guys be moving?

We're moving to the Uptown area (between Oak Lawn and 75). It's a little farther from campus than the Cedar Springs area, but there were several things that really appealed to us about Uptown: Restaurants and bars within walking distance, the Katy Trail (the city's 4-mile well-maintained hike/bike trail), its reputation for being safer than other areas of the city. The biggest con is the price (we're getting a pretty small place).

Lorrayne said:
We're moving to the Uptown area (between Oak Lawn and 75). It's a little farther from campus than the Cedar Springs area, but there were several things that really appealed to us about Uptown: Restaurants and bars within walking distance, the Katy Trail (the city's 4-mile well-maintained hike/bike trail), its reputation for being safer than other areas of the city. The biggest con is the price (we're getting a pretty small place).
Thanks for the reply. I found a couple of ok complexes, but I'm wondering how much I should worry about rent if I wanted to live in the Uptown area also. I'm a pretty conservative spender and I have money saved up from years of working, so I figure a pricier apartment wouldn't set me back that much anyway. I'll probably have to make a trip to Dallas again next month to take another look around.

Uptown is really nice but ya, price is a drawback. :-( Shop around.

Does the March 1 date apply to corrections made to your FAFSA?

Lythanh said:
Does the March 1 date apply to corrections made to your FAFSA?
Do you mean April 1? I'm guessing they should be corrected by then since they'll be figuring out financial aid for nearly 300 of us by mid to late-April.

I don't know, but if you have questions you can email Chuck Kettlewell at [email protected].

Hey,

I wonder if this board has been abandoned, but I want to provide some match day info (match day was yesterday) to those still trying to decide on a school. I don't have a complete list, but for the competitive specialties we matched:
2 Plastic Surgery (I know of 1 who did not match but she mostly applied for Gen Surg)
6 Derm (2 did not match)
8 Ortho (everyone matched)
6 Ophtho (2 did not match)
4 ENT (everyone matched)
1 Neurosurgery (that's everyone)
FYI, I am a graduating senior, and I matched at my #1 choice (UC Irvine Psychiatry).

I don't look at this board regularly, but feel free to PM me if you have questions. I'm sorry I couldn't meet you all at MSo day, but I was out of the country.

P

The Pride said:
Hey,

I wonder if this board has been abandoned, but I want to provide some match day info (match day was yesterday) to those still trying to decide on a school. I don't have a complete list, but for the competitive specialties we matched:
2 Plastic Surgery (I know of 1 who did not match but she mostly applied for Gen Surg)
6 Derm (2 did not match)
8 Ortho (everyone matched)
6 Ophtho (2 did not match)
4 ENT (everyone matched)
1 Neurosurgery (that's everyone)
FYI, I am a graduating senior, and I matched at my #1 choice (UC Irvine Psychiatry).

I don't look at this board regularly, but feel free to PM me if you have questions. I'm sorry I couldn't meet you all at MSo day, but I was out of the country.

P
Thanks for the results. Do you happen to know if UTSW's internal medicine program went unfilled again this year?

Good luck at UCI.

Great info, I like knowing how many matched and how many didn't match. I took a look at your "Imaginary Friend" and thought Psych.. haha.

Thanks for the list. What happened to the 2 unmatched derm?

ClearDay said:
Thanks for the list. What happened to the 2 unmatched derm?
Since derm is one of those specialties that require a transitional or prelim year (in medicine, surg, or peds), they'll probably do their internship year (PGY-1) then apply again for a derm spot (PGY-2), assuming they still want to do it. If not, they'll try another specialty.

What's everyone been up to? It's been hard making summer plans. People I know are getting married and having babies all over the summer calendar, and I'm feeling a little lousy for leaving my friends behind. I'm leaning toward traveling out of the country for winter break this year, assuming UTSW gives us 2 weeks off. I figure a fortnight of respite would do far more for me then than it would now.

Anyone doing the summer research program? I decided that I wanted to participate ... already set myself up with a professor.

StartingLine3 said:
Anyone doing the summer research program? I decided that I wanted to participate ... already set myself up with a professor.
Is it too late to contact professors? I have a few that aren't on the potential list that I'm probably going to contact should I decide to just move to Dallas early.

I doubt it's too late.. I'm still trying to figure out my summer plans.