*~*~*~* Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2023-2024 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
do we have an interview tracker yet now that texas schools are sending them out? I can make one if not

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
do we have an interview tracker yet now that texas schools are sending them out? I can make one if not
I'm going to do it this week, I need to be inspired to add my cornpone wisdom and photos to create a new Republic of Texas thread.
In the meantime, here is what we have so far: #995

Are there any interview prep resources / methods that are generally well regarded? I have both MMI and traditional coming up soon. I was going to look at previous interview questions and prep some responses, as well as work on explaining stuff like why medicine, failure, leadership, etc... anything else that could be helpful, especially for MMI scenarios?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any interview prep resources / methods that are generally well regarded? I have both MMI and traditional coming up soon. I was going to look at previous interview questions and prep some responses, as well as work on explaining stuff like why medicine, failure, leadership, etc... anything else that could be helpful, especially for MMI scenarios?
I like this description explained and created by an SDN member a few years ago. PugsAndHug's MMI Interview Strategy
It helps you give structure to your answers, hit the main points first, and be complete.
It will serve you for both CASPer and for MMI interviews

Reactions: 2 users
We have been doing live practices among those enrolled in Become a Student Doctor. You can search the article archives.

In addition to the resources already named, I highly suggested practicing OUT LOUD and timed! You can read scenarios all day and answer in your brain but it's different when you gotta actually produce words, sound eloquent, and organize thoughts to speech. If you have any friends currently in med school or beyond get them to practice with you to ask follow-up questions. It's one thing to have a prepared answer to scenarios but I've seen folks break when follow-up questioning is presented.

• Love
hey is it too late to apply for TCOM through tmdsas? I applied DO and MD and submitted most of my secondaries so far. I am a NY resident but have very high ties to Texas (I have a total of like 8 aunts and uncles each with their own families living all across houston and dallas).

hey is it too late to apply for TCOM through tmdsas? I applied DO and MD and submitted most of my secondaries so far. I am a NY resident but have very high ties to Texas (I have a total of like 8 aunts and uncles each with their own families living all across houston and dallas).
Not too late, do it soon!

I had to resubmit a LOR because it was originally rejected for missing the date; it was accepted today. The LOR hasn't shown up on the school portals for my secondaries though (marked as incomplete). Should I let them know, or will the schools update it on their own time (and I should leave them alone because they're busy)?

I had to resubmit a LOR because it was originally rejected for missing the date; it was accepted today. The LOR hasn't shown up on the school portals for my secondaries though (marked as incomplete). Should I let them know, or will the schools update it on their own time (and I should leave them alone because they're busy)?
It will be forwarded to your schools within a few days, they will have their own system for logging in new documents

If my application was transmitted on June 1st, but my last rec letter (the optional, not the required one) was not transmitted until June 13th, what date is considered when admissions look at my file?
The date your primary was transmitted. Letters can come in later and as long as you had the 3 minimum your file would be seen as complete at schools.
There’s still a lot of waiting though so don’t get discouraged

The date your primary was transmitted. Letters can come in later and as long as you had the 3 minimum your file would be seen as complete at schools.
There’s still a lot of waiting though so don’t get discouraged
Does the date in which we were completed drastically change when we should expect to get IIs. Or do schools have multiple ways of reviewing applications such that a student who is complete earlier can still get a II much later than someone who was complete like last week and just got a II?

Does the date in which we were completed drastically change when we should expect to get IIs. Or do schools have multiple ways of reviewing applications such that a student who is complete earlier can still get a II much later than someone who was complete like last week and just got a II?
You’ll never regret getting in your application early, there is a huge number turned in during June and July so your exact date isn’t important. You will be reviewed and compared several times and a December interview is just as good as a July one.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a slightly neurotic question. I'm still working on secondaries for a few schools in TMDSAS despite it being just above 2 weeks for them. My goal is to finish them by this Thursday. Is this still at the tail-end of on time, or am I too late?

I had a slightly neurotic question. I'm still working on secondaries for a few schools in TMDSAS despite it being just above 2 weeks for them. My goal is to finish them by this Thursday. Is this still at the tail-end of on time, or am I too late?
You are fine. If there was no deadline stated for completion (U of H Fertitta states one, for example) then turn them in when you are happy with them.
They can't consider you for interviews until they read your secondaries, though, so work on finishing up.
Have you completed CASper? Many TMDSAS schools want that too.

You are fine. If there was no deadline stated for completion (U of H Fertitta states one, for example) then turn them in when you are happy with them.
They can't consider you for interviews until they read your secondaries, though, so work on finishing up.
Have you completed CASper? Many TMDSAS schools want that too.
I've completed CASper, yes. I only need secondaries to be considered complete, I think. Thank you for the reassurance!

If there was an error made in hours per week for an activity and my application is already complete, should I email schools about the error for this? (I put 8 hours per week instead of 40 hours per week)

Last edited:
Is being complete 7/15 for all Texas schools too late? My pre-med committee seems to think yes and I will be a reapplicant for Texas, but I’m fine for AMCAS..,.

Is being complete 7/15 for all Texas schools too late? My pre-med committee seems to think yes and I will be a reapplicant for Texas, but I’m fine for AMCAS..,.
No. Some people haven't yet submitted their primaries and they are not too late either but should get on it soon

In my TMDSAS application, I indicated an expected graduation in May 2024 and listed projected some courses for spring 2024. However, after an audit, my college advisor informed me that I could potentially graduate in December 2023. This option saves money. It also allows me to return to Texas and spend time with my parents while engaging in clinical volunteer work locally and also spend time in my remote research lab work. Since I've already submitted all my secondary applications, how should I best update schools with this new information? Should I contact TMDSAS or reach out directly to the colleges ?

Last edited:
In my TMDSAS application, I indicated an expected graduation in May 2024 and listed projected some courses for spring 2024. However, after an audit, my college advisor informed me that I could potentially graduate in December 2023. This option saves money. It also allows me to return to Texas and spend time with my parents while engaging in clinical volunteer work locally and also spend time in my remote research lab work. Since I've already submitted all my secondary applications, how should I best update schools with this new information? Should I contact TMDSAS or reach out directly to the colleges ?
Message TMDSAS in your portal and ask them for help in updating your future course plans

Hello all, I think I messed up big time.

Long story short, I am a reapplicant to Texas med schools who just realized I never transferred my updated MCAT score from AMCAS to TMDSAS... My application was still marked "complete" by schools because they had my score from last cycle. I submitted all secondaries around the end of July and just sent my new score on 8/17. I am panicking because my score went from a 507 to a 518, a huge advantage to my new application.

Will schools re-review my application even if they just received a new score, or will they toss it in the R pile? Is it neurotic to send an update email? I dont think this will completely ruin my chances but as a reapplicant I dont want to go through this process a third time.

Hello all, I think I messed up big time.

Long story short, I am a reapplicant to Texas med schools who just realized I never transferred my updated MCAT score from AMCAS to TMDSAS... My application was still marked "complete" by schools because they had my score from last cycle. I submitted all secondaries around the end of July and just sent my new score on 8/17. I am panicking because my score went from a 507 to a 518, a huge advantage to my new application.

Will schools re-review my application even if they just received a new score, or will they toss it in the R pile? Is it neurotic to send an update email? I dont think this will completely ruin my chances but as a reapplicant I dont want to go through this process a third time.
This was unfortunately your error, and I'm sure they evaluated you based on your lower MCAT score.

1. Are you sure you have released your new score now?
2. This is one instance in which I would recommend a very short email to all your TMDSAS schools. Something like:
"This is WhalesRock1, TMDSAS #krillistasty I would like to bring your attention to my new MCAT score of 518 from the test date July xx.
If my application has been on hold pending this score, I hope it earns me another look.
Thank you from the bottom of my ocean
WhalesRock1

• Haha
This was unfortunately your error, and I'm sure they evaluated you based on your lower MCAT score.

1. Are you sure you have released your new score now?
2. This is one instance in which I would recommend a very short email to all your TMDSAS schools. Something like:
"This is WhalesRock1, TMDSAS #krillistasty I would like to bring your attention to my new MCAT score of 518 from the test date July xx.
If my application has been on hold pending this score, I hope it earns me another look.
Thank you from the bottom of my ocean
WhalesRock1
Thank you for the reply!
Yes, my new MCAT has been released, I took it on May 26th but never sent it from the AMCAS website...
I will send the schools a quick email!

Thank you for the reply!
Yes, my new MCAT has been released, I took it on May 26th but never sent it from the AMCAS website...
I will send the schools a quick email!
I was more asking are you sure you have now instructed AAMC to release (send) your scores to TMDSAS?

I have heard from a couple of other Texans who did the same thing and didn't realize it until a school asked them where their MCAT score was.

I was more asking are you sure you have now instructed AAMC to release (send) your scores to TMDSAS?

I have heard from a couple of other Texans who did the same thing and didn't realize it until a school asked them where their MCAT score was.
Yes I am sure, I check about 100 times after my mistake haha!

I chose not to fill out the optional essay because I mistakenly assumed it was more of a disadvantaged essay like the AMCAS optional essay (which I also chose not to answer). However, I submitted mid-June and am now realizing that I probably should have written something there in the TMDSAS optional essay. I have read that some schools will screen me out if I didn't write this essay, or it can look like a red flag.. how true is this? Did I hurt my chances by not filling it out?

I chose not to fill out the optional essay because I mistakenly assumed it was more of a disadvantaged essay like the AMCAS optional essay (which I also chose not to answer). However, I submitted mid-June and am now realizing that I probably should have written something there in the TMDSAS optional essay. I have read that some schools will screen me out if I didn't write this essay, or it can look like a red flag.. how true is this? Did I hurt my chances by not filling it out?
They're not going to screen you out, don't beat yourself up over it. It was just a missed opportunity to tell something more about yourself that the other essays did not address. You still can write things like that in your secondary essays.

If my cycle turns out the way I hope I'll need to take one more bio course to meet the 14 CH requirement (currently have 12 if I don't include biochem)

Any issues with it being a community college course? If not, what courses should I look into/avoid?

If my cycle turns out the way I hope I'll need to take one more bio course to meet the 14 CH requirement (currently have 12 if I don't include biochem)

Any issues with it being a community college course? If not, what courses should I look into/avoid?
@tcc926818 Did you mean 14 Biology credit hours?
2 of these 14 credits should be bio labs.
Biochem does not count as a biology credit, it is needed in the Biochem pre-req category but a biochem lab is not required.

You can take courses at a community college. I would suggest courses like Genetics, Microbiology, Physiology, or any other Biology course with a 200, 300, or 400 level that doesn't duplicate one you have taken.
You can also check the TMDSAS course listings under Texas Community colleges to see which one will meet TMDSAS pre-req requirements (attached .pdf)

What to avoid? Intro courses, pre-nursing or pre-health profession courses that may not meet the rigor you are looking for.

Attachments

• Texas Community Colleges.pdf
    78 KB · Views: 32
  • Love
@tcc926818 Did you mean 14 Biology credit hours?
2 of these 14 credits should be bio labs.
Biochem does not count as a biology credit, it is needed in the Biochem pre-req category but a biochem lab is not required.

You can take courses at a community college. I would suggest courses like Genetics, Microbiology, Physiology, or any other Biology course with a 200, 300, or 400 level that doesn't duplicate one you have taken.
You can also check the TMDSAS course listings under Texas Community colleges to see which one will meet TMDSAS pre-req requirements (attached .pdf)

What to avoid? Intro courses, pre-nursing or pre-health profession courses that may not meet the rigor you are looking for.
Thank you for your detailed response; much appreciated!

Currently in a dilemma. I am a reapplicant to TMDSAS and am a first-time applicant to AACOMAS.
I was surprised to receive a couple II's from DO schools, despite having an MCAT drop. (LIZZY M 64). However for TMDSAS, I sent my application to only 5 schools (UT TYLER, UTRGV, UH, SHSU, TCOM), I was wondering if it is too late for me to contact TMDSAS to send my application to more schools, and send the respective secondaries this week?

Currently in a dilemma. I am a reapplicant to TMDSAS and am a first-time applicant to AACOMAS.
I was surprised to receive a couple II's from DO schools, despite having an MCAT drop. (LIZZY M 64). However for TMDSAS, I sent my application to only 5 schools (UT TYLER, UTRGV, UH, SHSU, TCOM), I was wondering if it is too late for me to contact TMDSAS to send my application to more schools, and send the respective secondaries this week?
I don't think you are in a dilemma, but rather at a decision point. I still think your best chances are at the DO schools, and I'm happy for you that you are getting the chance to interview.
Your decision point is whether to add extra time & money to more MD applications, or not. It's up to you.

Just adding, greed is a common trap premed applicants fall in: you take away energy on getting an interview because you would rather put more energy on applying to more schools (and their secondaries) that are possibly out of your league. This could be self-sabotaging because if you don't value the interviews you have, you won't show as much enthusiasm or engagement on interview day, putting your candidacy for an offer at greater risk. This happens more than you think, and many people wonder later why they are waitlisted or rejected.

As said before, it's your application and your decision about what you really value to become a doctor.

Just adding, greed is a common trap premed applicants fall in: you take away energy on getting an interview because you would rather put more energy on applying to more schools (and their secondaries) that are possibly out of your league. This could be self-sabotaging because if you don't value the interviews you have, you won't show as much enthusiasm or engagement on interview day, putting your candidacy for an offer at greater risk. This happens more than you think, and many people wonder later why they are waitlisted or rejected.

As said before, it's your application and your decision about what you really value to become a doctor.
Luckily a lot of my interviews are spaced out this cycle, and I believe if I manage my time correctly I could do both things at 100 percent capacity.. .. But you are completely right, it would probably be in my best interest to focus on my interviews because it's a step closer to my ultimate goal of becoming a physician. I was not planning to apply to more schools, but one of my mentors suggested that I at least give it a shot especially because Texas schools have lower tuition. I will take your advice on prioritizing my interviews :) !

Luckily a lot of my interviews are spaced out this cycle, and I believe if I manage my time correctly I could do both things at 100 percent capacity.. .. But you are completely right, it would probably be in my best interest to focus on my interviews because it's a step closer to my ultimate goal of becoming a physician. I was not planning to apply to more schools, but one of my mentors suggested that I at least give it a shot especially because Texas schools have lower tuition. I will take your advice on prioritizing my interviews :) !
The advice on applying to more Texas schools is fine but should have come earlier when you were developing your school list. You could have checked the box on all of the schools back in May when the cycle started. It's a bit different to do this in September with rolling admissions.

You should consider yourself rejected until you get the first A. But your energy towards that end, and your two interviews should be where you focus (and subsequent IIs from your list). Make sure the schools meet or exceed your expectations for what you need to excel.

The advice on applying to more Texas schools is fine but should have come earlier when you were developing your school list. You could have checked the box on all of the schools back in May when the cycle started. It's a bit different to do this in September with rolling admissions.

You should consider yourself rejected until you get the first A. But your energy towards that end, and your two interviews should be where you focus (and subsequent IIs from your list). Make sure the schools meet or exceed your expectations for what you need to excel.
Sounds good ! Thank you.

If I have 5 credits of gen chem, will I be screened out by TMDSAS schools which require 8? For example, I met course requirements for UTSW due to completing 8 credits of organic chem and 3 for biochem, but a school like McGovern specifically asks for 8 credits of gen chem.

Due to time and financial constraints, I was unable to retake gen chem II, however I am looking into registering for an 8-week CC course to be completed by Dec. 8th while I work my full-time job. I'm just worried that this may not matter if my application won't be reviewed without it. I'm currently working on secondaries for these schools.

Hey all! I am applying to OTD school, I am writing my personal statement. I have a very personal story about a boy that I have grown up with who has Down syndrome, and I thought it would make it more personal if I included his first name. Is that wrong to do? Are there any rules or anything against including first names? Thanks! (Also sorry for posting this in here, I just knew the pre meds are quick to respond haha)

Hey all! I am applying to OTD school, I am writing my personal statement. I have a very personal story about a boy that I have grown up with who has Down syndrome, and I thought it would make it more personal if I included his first name. Is that wrong to do? Are there any rules or anything against including first names? Thanks! (Also sorry for posting this in here, I just knew the pre meds are quick to respond haha)
As long as it's just the first name and no other PHI is used that could identify the patient, I don't see the problem. For most of my essays and secondaries, I used short pseudonyms like "John" and "Mary" only so I would not exceed the character count, but there were a few instances where I did use patients' actual first names!

No rules, but I'm curious why including his real first name would make it more personal (from the perspective of the person reading the statement). They have no idea whether it's a real name or not, so it wouldn't make much difference. Of course, if using the first name helps you write more from the heart, then by all means go for it.

Hi, anyone have any experience with cancelling an interview with TMDSAS? I will not be able to travel to this school's interview, and I'm wondering how that will look to other schools. It would be my last interview though, as I've already interviewed with the other schools I was invited to.

Hi, anyone have any experience with cancelling an interview with TMDSAS? I will not be able to travel to this school's interview, and I'm wondering how that will look to other schools. It would be my last interview though, as I've already interviewed with the other schools I was invited to.
Keep in mind that interviews are not equal to acceptances, are you certain you can't travel to an interview on a different day?
Would you regret this if you find out on Match Day that you have had, for example, 3 interviews but no Match?

If you are certain you would like to cancel this interview rather than try to reschedule, you need to contact the school directly. TMDSAS is not the go-between on interviews.
@hilwaytwo you can DM me to discuss if you wish

Last edited:
If I RETAKE the MCAT in January, am I able to send schools an updated score for EY 2024?
Unfortunately that date is past the date any TMDSAS school will consider for the EY 2024 cycle.
Interviews will be over by the end of January.
If you are retaking in January, you will need to plan your application for the EY 2025 year.
If you already have an MCAT score on the record (I assume it's one you were not satisfied with) the TMDSAS schools you applied to will evaluate you with that score for EY 2024.

Unfortunately that date is past the date any TMDSAS school will consider for the EY 2024 cycle.
Interviews will be over by the end of January.
If you are retaking in January, you will need to plan your application for the EY 2025 year.
If you already have an MCAT score on the record (I assume it's one you were not satisfied with) the TMDSAS schools you applied to will evaluate you with that score for EY 2024.
That's what I figured, but thank you for the clarification! I am a sub 500 MCAT scorer, but I think the rest of my application is relatively strong. Any advice for someone still completing secondaries?

That's what I figured, but thank you for the clarification! I am a sub 500 MCAT scorer, but I think the rest of my application is relatively strong. Any advice for someone still completing secondaries?
Get them finished up so you can be complete, and be sure to include SHSU

I cancelled several interviews last year, but I did that once I had a prematch in hand and knew I wouldn't want to attend the other schools above my prematch school. I would highly suggest you keep the interview (ask if you can reschedule if there's a conflict). Nothing is set in stone so you don't want to start denying schools unless you have an acceptance in hand. This isn't a case of "how will this look to schools", but "let's increase our chances of getting accepted" lol

Last edited: