Official pulmonary critical care 2016-2017 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In keeping with the format of last years application thread, I suggest we arrange the list of interviews as follows (unless anyone has any other suggestions). Please enter your interview program in the appropriate category, along with the date you received it, and then copy and paste it into your post.

AMG:

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

Good luck to everyone out there! :nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad.

So if we're a US-IMG we put all of our invites under this category? I'm confused...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So if we're a US-IMG we put all of our invites under this category? I'm confused...

Yea, if your a US-IMG (as am I) and i'm guessing you don't need a visa, then list your IVs under "IMG w/o visa required". Its just a way for us to breakdown the interview invites into categories.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok perfect... Got it! Best of luck to you.

Are we going to be able to see when they download the application like in residency or will it always say "available"

For those on IMGs J1 , how many programs did you apply to ?

US-IMG here, applied to 32 programs. No research , location is an issue as well.

IMG- J1 Visa Required: Applied to 88 programs. Not sure whether any money is left to actually travel and interview!

Are we going to be able to see when they download the application like in residency or will it always say "available"

No download, it'll be "available". I've been told this method will apply to the residency application cycle that'll open up later this year.

so when we assign LORs now after submitting, programs automatically get updated and we don't have to do anything further?

Members don't see this ad :)
so when we assign LORs now after submitting, programs automatically get updated and we don't have to do anything further?

Yes. But if they have already downloaded their application on Friday then may be they will not see your letter unless they re download your application.

Yes. But if they have already downloaded their application on Friday then may be they will not see your letter unless they re download your application.

I guess my question is, should I reach out to programs to alert them additional letters have been uploaded or do fellowship coordinators routinely check applications (?daily) until they're complete? I suspect late letters is a very common issue with fellowship apps.

Answers coming out early

AMG:

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

7/19 - WashU/B-JH/SLCH consortium

AMG:
University of Alabama, Birmingham - 7/19 (aspergilloma)

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:
WashU - 7/19

Reactions: 1 users
AMG:

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:
WashU - 7/19

very nice! congrats on the first interview of the season!

AMG:

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:
WashU - 7/19

I really, really, really liked UAB (But when I interviewed no fellows were around to talk to - that bothered me - hope they change this). My wife didn't like Alabama (Might be an uphill battle for that reason).

Can it be December already ? This process is utterly painful , expensive and long ..

Reactions: 2 users
this might put a few people at ease... i believe ERAS now makes updated applications immediately available to programs. my last LOR was uploaded to ERAS today and i assigned it to all the programs and it instantly turned it green and said "available" just like all my other documents. i dont think programs have to re-download applications to get the most up to date one like was the case when i applied for residency a few years ago. just my two cents.

also got my rejection from Wash U today..woooo!

when do I send a letter of intent?

AMG:
University of Alabama, Birmingham - 7/19
University of Louisville - 7/20

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:
WashU - 7/19

I really, really, really liked UAB (But when I interviewed no fellows were around to talk to - that bothered me - hope they change this). My wife didn't like Alabama (Might be an uphill battle for that reason).

yeah, that's what's worrying me haha

They look pretty strong in ILD. is that a fair assessment? It's def one of my main interests...

I’m making an excel rank list which I have divided into 4 sections. I want to use a ROYGBIV color scheme for those sections. Should the most desirable programs be green or red?

Why hasn't Wash-U rejected me yet ?(I've applied knowing I'm not gonna get in) - This radio silence is frustrating :)

Based on last year's thread (to avoid confusion, I don't want to post the list here), about 70% of the invitations were given between the last week of July and the second week of August.

Keep calm :happy:.

I got University of Maryland late last night and University of Louisville this afternoon.

AMG:
University of Alabama, Birmingham - 7/19
University of Louisville - 7/20
University of Maryland- 7/19

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:
WashU - 7/19

For those img's with visa requirements, the real season does not start until August. So DO NOT freak out.

No bites? mleh.
Looks like this could be a trying protracted process. Gonna try not to take it too seriously. Anyway, good luck to every one. FYI -- you CAN get invites before all your LORs are in.

Well I heard from a fellow friend that his program won't even download applications until mid August.
You can worry and stress all day I don't think it will be changing much :/ ( Talking to myself here mostly )

Last edited:
It's not slow. It's Less than a week since the application. Things will not pick up till August. The interview season is 4 months long, take it easy!

Got an interview invite from Louisville today :D. Not sure if the running list is for the first time the program sends out the invites or what so I'll just throw it out there and let the collective hive do with it what it will.

Got an interview invite from Louisville today :D. Not sure if the running list is for the first time the program sends out the invites or what so I'll just throw it out there and let the collective hive do with it what it will.

AMG or IMG? Visa status?

Advice from previous applicants/current fellows to minimize costs during interview season? I feel like this is already costing me an arm and leg....

Main concern is regarding flights/hotels. Driving>Flying obviously but tough to do as all of us are in residency. Some websites offer better deals on flights (Expedia/Skiplagged). Airbnb may be option rather than staying in hotels.

Advice from previous applicants/current fellows to minimize costs during interview season? I feel like this is already costing me an arm and leg....

Main concern is regarding flights/hotels. Driving>Flying obviously but tough to do as all of us are in residency. Some websites offer better deals on flights (Expedia/Skiplagged). Airbnb may be option rather than staying in hotels.

Kayak is a good place to go for flights since it aggregates sites like Expedia and priceline. Make sure to always check specific airline websites once you identify the flight on kayak because sometimes it's cheaper to book direct. Also realize that some airlines don't show up in the kayak results (like southwest).

I'm a huge proponent of airbnb. Make sure the place has plenty of great reviews. You can save hundreds. I've done airbnb ~5 times now and have never had a bad experience. In fact they tend to be a lot more flexible with check-in and check-out times than a hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

AMG:
University of Alabama, Birmingham - 7/19 (aspergilloma), 7/22 (hinju, Vigileo)
University of Louisville - 7/20 (luckyinky, Vigileo)
Vanderbilt University - 7/21 (Vigileo)

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:
WashU - 7/19, 7/22 (Vigileo)

a saturday morning invite, amazingly enough

AMG:

University of Louisville - 7/20 (aspergilloma, luckyinky, Vigileo)
University of Virginia - 7/23 (aspergilloma)

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:

Rejections:

AMG:
University of Louisville - 7/20 (aspergilloma, luckyinky, Vigileo)
University of Maryland- 7/19 (luckyinky)
University of Virginia - 7/23 (aspergilloma)

IMG w/o visa required:

IMG requiring visa:
UPMC - 7/21 (BABS_thehuman)

Rejections: