Official pulmonary critical care 2016-2017 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pccmallergy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's get this started, good luck everyone

Members don't see this ad.

I don't we have a thread for the 2016-2017 Match. Can we start here?

I don't we have a thread for the 2016-2017 Match. Can we start here?
Guess no one is applying this year! Looks like you'll have an excellent shot at matching

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Guess no one is applying this year! Looks like you'll have an excellent shot at matching

We're all in the process of making new accounts because we're paranoid that pds troll this forum and conduct investigations to discover our identities instead of, you know, actual clinical duties.

I see all the folks on FaceBook changing their name too...

I'll be applying this year.

I'm applying as well this year, for pulmonary, pulm/CCM and palliative care.

For ERAS, are we okay to upload an unofficial copy of our transcripts (vs. getting it ordered with the seal etc. which I don't understand how we can upload anyway)? Also my MSPR has not been updated by my med school and still says "pending" for completion, but transcript says I passed. Is that okay or should I get my school to update my MSPR?

Not really sure, but I've always had to acquire official transcripts for the various applications/licenses I've done...and while I'm pretty sure no one cares about the MSPR, since you have to contact your med school to get it sent anyway, I would ask them about the pending status thing b/c I agree that looks a little strange to say pending on it

What activities are you guys listing in ERAS this time around, other than obvious publications/research? For example, I volunteered at a student run free clinic in medical school. I subsequently did some elective clinic rotations there as a resident, supervising the students and staffing the clinic. Should I list that as a volunteer activity? What about any special tracks your residency has, such as education track, hospital medicine track, etc?

Not really sure, but I've always had to acquire official transcripts for the various applications/licenses I've done...and while I'm pretty sure no one cares about the MSPR, since you have to contact your med school to get it sent anyway, I would ask them about the pending status thing b/c I agree that looks a little strange to say pending on it

I was planning on asking my program to upload the MSPE and the transcript (which they should have from my residency application). I don't think we need the official seal from our medical school. What do you all think?

I was planning on asking my program to upload the MSPE and the transcript (which they should have from my residency application). I don't think we need the official seal from our medical school. What do you all think?

I think that's what I did as well, via the MIDUS service on ERAS

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Question #1 and #2 that you need to ask yourself before applying.

#1 Are you a miserable bastard?

#2 Do you hate yourself and think you need punishment?

If the answer is "No" to one or the other, it may be time to seriously rethink your application to this specialty.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone have some thoughts on sleeper programs that are strong clinically (either pulm, CCM, or both) with decent research in the southeast? We all know about the Duke and Vanderbilts of the world, but what programs get overlooked that are strong? For what it's worth, I consider southeast from Cincinnati south, not including Maryland or Texas. +/- Florida. Just trying to stir up some conversation

Members don't see this ad :)
how competitive does it look this year?
What are some opportunities to get a foot in the door for weak candidates- ie, community hospital residents and or poor board scores etc would working as a hospitalist at one of these places help to get a foot in the door (IF one were lucky enough to get a job there)?

Anyone have some thoughts on sleeper programs that are strong clinically (either pulm, CCM, or both) with decent research in the southeast? We all know about the Duke and Vanderbilts of the world, but what programs get overlooked that are strong? For what it's worth, I consider southeast from Cincinnati south, not including Maryland or Texas. +/- Florida. Just trying to stir up some conversation

In addition to the program's you listed, last year I also got the opportunity to check out Emory and MUSC and felt both were really solid programs that I would have been more than happy to train at - clearly Emory is quite large and has extensive clinically opportunities...maybe MUSC would qualify as your sleeper status a bit more as it is smaller and probably less discussed

Reactions: 1 users
Magic 8-ball??
magic-eight-ball-outlook-not-so-good-photo-researchers-inc.jpg

While you certainly want to get everything complete as soon as feasible, I don't think a week after the opening is going to hurt you. Given that some invites started fairly early last year though (as soon as the very end of July/early August), I would not recommend being several weeks late

Last edited:

Will second MUSC for sleeper status. Also UF Gainesville.

UAB is LEGIT. Not a sleeper just solid.

Will second MUSC for sleeper status. Also UF Gainesville.

UAB is LEGIT. Not a sleeper just solid.

Thanks all. JDH, I think I've seen you post that you liked Wake as well. Other NC programs? How about heading more north, like Cincy, UKY, Louisville, IU? My interests are more CCM than pulm but definitely want both, and I like CCM and asthma research. Trying to narrow my list as much as possible

Thanks all. JDH, I think I've seen you post that you liked Wake as well. Other NC programs? How about heading more north, like Cincy, UKY, Louisville, IU? My interests are more CCM than pulm but definitely want both, and I like CCM and asthma research. Trying to narrow my list as much as possible

If you like asthma research then you need to see Wake. All the Carolina programs are good. I didn't think they were "sleepers". All the Kentucky programs have a good rep. Indiana is also super legit.

For ILD/pHTN/procedural exposure (including basic IP stuff) which of the 4 programs in the Los Angeles area are better at this? Their websites all look like clones of each other.

Thought I would drop by and say hi. Monitored last years thread pretty closely. Im a US - IMG (carib) grad coming from a mid sized community program. Average board scores, I have a few case reports/publications and a few poster presentations at national meetings. Applying to a bunch of programs which will cost me an arm and a leg...:smack: but i figure this is a one shot deal. Good luck everyone!

I'm looking for someone to post a rough guide of good clinically oriented programs. If I can be greedy, I'd be interested in hearing what programs are considered mid tier and lower tier. Gonna apply broadly and I would like to make sure I got a good amount of diversity so that I don't end up with 2 interviews.

Hi. I was wondering when everyone is applying. Is applying on July 6, 2016 necessary or anytime before July 15 when programs start downloading applications?

I'm looking for someone to post a rough guide of good clinically oriented programs. If I can be greedy, I'd be interested in hearing what programs are considered mid tier and lower tier. Gonna apply broadly and I would like to make sure I got a good amount of diversity so that I don't end up with 2 interviews.

I ended up going on 7 interviews: BWH, MGH/BI, Columbia, Duke, Emory, Hopkins, and Pitt. I thought Duke, Emory, and Pitt were the strongest clinically. The other "big" names emphasized research >>>> clinical, while those three had a great balance. Pitt, however, felt like I was going to be doing residency all over again because it seemed like the residents really didn't do a whole lot. I personally thought Duke and Emory were the best choices but ended up on the NE due to family.

Hello all! I'll be applying to 30 or so programs, how many programs are all of you applying to? US-IMG here with not much research. Best of luck this year...

I'm going to hopefully complete my application by July 15 or July 18 at the latest. I don't think you have to have everything done by July 6, since programs can't even start downloading applications until the 15th.
Anyone who went through this before. Does it matter when we send it as long as we send it sometime around July 15th

Anyone who went through this before. Does it matter when we send it as long as we send it sometime around July 15th
Uggh. The 2 date thing is new this year, and it's only purpose appears to be to generate neurotic questions on SDN.

IT DOESN'T MATTER!

For ILD/pHTN/procedural exposure (including basic IP stuff) which of the 4 programs in the Los Angeles area are better at this? Their websites all look like clones of each other.

How much transplant do you want to deal with? A lot, a good amount, or none?

Mid tier is largely going to be university programs that aren't already name brand in IM. "Low tier" will basically be anywhere no one wants to live in the above mentioned group.

You should throw out a list of places or areas of the country. Though I kind of hate to "mother****" a bunch of programs on here in this way as I doubt there are many really "bad" programs per se, just less esteemed.

How much transplant do you want to deal with? A lot, a good amount, or none?
I probably won't practice transplant but dont mind some exposure to it. I wouldnt decide for/against a program based on that.

While I have your attention--are there any West half of the US places you know off the top of your head to avoid if you are looking for a predominantly clinical career (ie low numbers of procedures, no IP, poor airway training)? For example, I have heard the UWa has very low airway numbers despite their sterling academic reputation, which arguably could cripple someone looking to set up shop in a more rural place after fellowship.

I probably won't practice transplant but dont mind some exposure to it. I wouldnt decide for/against a program based on that.

While I have your attention--are there any West half of the US places you know off the top of your head to avoid if you are looking for a predominantly clinical career (ie low numbers of procedures, no IP, poor airway training)? For example, I have heard the UWa has very low airway numbers despite their sterling academic reputation, which arguably could cripple someone looking to set up shop in a more rural place after fellowship.

The reason I asked about Transplant is because if you want some, but not too much, the I'd suggest USC as the better fit for you in LA.

Generally the bigger the academic name the worse your airway experience will be. You don't sound like the kind of guy who *really* wants to go to a UW or UCSF, so don't feel bad if they say "no".

I know Utah gets a lot of procedures including intubations and lots of solid clinical critical care. I can't really speak for any one or two places that have a reputation as being "bad" for this per se.

Reading the FAQs with the new date of submission and downloading, any application submissions between 7/6 to 7/15 will be time stamped to 7/15. any submission after 7/15, will be time stamped as they are submitted

I'm a US-IMG applying for pulm/crit this year. coming from a university program but with the horror stories i've heard about competitiveness, looking to apply to 80 programs. Steep on the pocket but going big now rather than going home without a fellowship. Good luck!

Wanted to get some thoughts on this situation: I have 3 letters, including one from my PD uploaded to ERAS. My fourth, which is from the Department Chair, which may carry the most weight but at the same time will not be as strong as the other 3, has been written but the physician, being ahem, an elder gentlemen, has not yet uploaded it. Im reading online that it takes EFDO up to 5 business days to verify letters and I wanted to ideally submit my application on Friday the 15th.

If its not uploaded by Friday, do you guys think its better to go ahead and apply (since i already have the required 3 letters), and then wait for the last letter to come in, or wait it out till the following week and submit everything once its in (hopefully)? My reason for this excessive freaking-out is that there is an area on ERAS that says there is no guarantee that letters uploaded after application submission will be downloaded by programs, although im sure most will see it? Thanks

Perhaps this is out of turn, but I quickly pubmedded a few of the first and second year fellows at some research-heavy centres (MGH, Columbia), and very few actually had any results come up. This was surprising to me, as I expected most to have at least 1-2 manuscripts published to be competitive. Should I feel encouraged that my few publications (with a a couple pending response from journals) may actually mean something to these programs that I would otherwise consider pretty big reaches?

Programs are mostly looking for potential and don't seem to use any sort of "publication" filter. Being a chief resident for instance helps garner interviews at some of the top programs.

Perhaps this is out of turn, but I quickly pubmedded a few of the first and second year fellows at some research-heavy centres (MGH, Columbia), and very few actually had any results come up. This was surprising to me, as I expected most to have at least 1-2 manuscripts published to be competitive. Should I feel encouraged that my few publications (with a a couple pending response from journals) may actually mean something to these programs that I would otherwise consider pretty big reaches?

From what I have gathered, programs what to see some sort of scholarly activity. Which doesn't always mean a Pubmed indexed manuscript. Current fellows could have presented a ton at CHEST, ATS, and/or SCCM and the manuscripts aren't out yet (or they never got that far). Most of these abstracts are published online, and can be found by searching the abstract site or Google Scholar.

I think it's that time every year to point out that if you really really don't want to spend your career looking for grants and writing papers then you should not feel bad when academic top ten tell you "no thanks".

From my current perspective I would even recommend not wasting your money applying to them unless research predominantly is you goal. Not "teaching" (go do a clinical fellowship and come back if you want to "teach"). Arguably the in the trenches clinical teachers should be people who are not spending 80% of their time *not* doing clinic medicine. There was a time when this made a lot more sense but patients are too chronically ill in a setting of increasing technology that doing 20% clinically probably/arguably makes you a worse teacher and perhaps worse for patients. Keep your outlier examples to yourself. I know you can find them and humans have this neat trick we play on ourselves where we we figure we too will be an outlier. The chances you will be though basically approaching zero. So. That is the practical context for going the physician scientist route. And if you are not super serious about research and I'm not talking about chart reviews - real research - then don't waste your time *or* their time.

Apply to what you want to do. If what you are interested in is really the clinical then find a program that will keep you busy for three years without working you to exhaustion. This is what most of you really want and need but probably don't know it yet.

Quitting worrying about those "reaches". They really aren't. Those people who are the right fit for those program are largely a known quantity and quality and those programs aren't reaches but rather make the most sense for candidate and research heavy program.

Last edited:
Quick question, some programs such as University of Colorado have two options on ERAS
1. Fellowship
2. Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine

Is there a difference, and do we only pay once?

My guess it's the option between pccm fellowship and a ccm or Pulm only fellowship. Colorado's website probably lists the two different fellowships they offer which might clarify what the other fellowship is.

Quick question, some programs such as University of Colorado have two options on ERAS
1. Fellowship
2. Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine

Is there a difference, and do we only pay once?

I noticed this as well for multiple programs, I don't think this is for two different fellowships (such as PCCM vs Crit only), because when you click both it only charges you once. I attributed it to just some sort of error and I went ahead and clicked both when i applied. Stony Brook has 3 boxes, "fellowship, pulmonary critical care, and Pulmonary Critical care fellowship". I cant imagine these being different from each other. Hope this helps.

Regarding submitting while LORs are STILL PENDING at the time of submitting:

After they're uploaded and processed, are programs automatically notified as we assign them? Or is it more cumbersome than that?

Sooooo myself and one other classmate are in a position where not all of our letter writers have uploaded yet.

Should we go ahead and apply tomorrow and assign the LoRs once they're available? Or wait until we have the required # of letters before applying to a program?

(frustrating situation, of course)

My guess it's the option between pccm fellowship and a ccm or Pulm only fellowship. Colorado's website probably lists the two different fellowships they offer which might clarify what the other fellowship is.

I noticed this as well for multiple programs, I don't think this is for two different fellowships (such as PCCM vs Crit only), because when you click both it only charges you once. I attributed it to just some sort of error and I went ahead and clicked both when i applied. Stony Brook has 3 boxes, "fellowship, pulmonary critical care, and Pulmonary Critical care fellowship". I cant imagine these being different from each other. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice.

Sooooo myself and one other classmate are in a position where not all of our letter writers have uploaded yet.

Should we go ahead and apply tomorrow and assign the LoRs once they're available? Or wait until we have the required # of letters before applying to a program?

(frustrating situation, of course)

Same situation.

My PD LOR was submitted to EFDO on Monday, but isn't released yet. Should I submit by the 8am cutoff in the morning or wait until the letter is released? Does anyone know what is worse: late submission or missing letter? I would hate for them to view my application as incomplete and disregard it or not check back for the missing letter later. Does anyone have any insight on the process from the Fellowship side? At the moment, I'm planning to apply and have my PD email the programs because honestly it was his and his secretary's fault--not mine. I did everything in more than enough time.

I think applying and assigning LORs as they come is definitely better than late submission (some verify?). Talking to people and looking at these threads, looks like a lot of people have letters in late...

Submit app now and assign letters as they come in. I got interview offers before all my letters were even in.